Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,184 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil (20222 Views)

Igbo Soups All Nigerian Tribes Enjoy / CNN Travel Lists Banga Soup, Groundnut Soup Among 20 Of The World's Best Soups / What Happens If We Boil An Egg With Oil Instead Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Nope, sir. There is something called groundnut oil derived from groundnut seeds.

Yes, most people refer to them all by one generic name groundnut oil/vegetable oil.

Yes but for me I don't like it because of saturated fat

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by sonofthunder: 9:55pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc

Most of your claims are coming from a place of ignorance. Go and do better research

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by joepepsy(m): 10:05pm On Dec 29, 2023
You should keep quiet now!! Don't give advice on topic you know nothing about.
Ulunne777:
And who advised you that the seed oil also known as vegetable/groundnut oil is healthier for you?
Palm oil is way better .
If you intend to go the healthier route,use the fat from your meat or the oil in Egusi itself.

Again Palm oil is better and healthier than "g.oil*. ITS IN QUOTES because THERE'S NOTHING GROUNDNUTY ABOUT THAT SCAM PROCESSED OIL SOLD IN NIGERIA.Don't be deceived.

Western media deceiving you ppl the same way they deceive you ppl that cow milk is better for your baby than breast milk. grin
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Dpharisee: 10:12pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??
Its rather oil processed from palm kernel not red oil
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 10:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
SIRTee15:

Except u using olive oil or rapeseed oil to cook, I don't really see your objection to palm oil because all vegetable oils apart from above are not healthy for the body.

SIRTee15:

mono- unsaturated fats are the ones recommended for cooking. Saturated fats are best avoided or consumed less.
Olive and rapeseed oil are unsaturated fats.

The scope of why unsaturated fats are healthy is beyond the scope of discussion here. But I can send u links if u are interested in learning more.

I am interested in educating you because you do not know what you are talking about

You are shifting the goal posts

Let us finish with one assertion before moving to the next

So are you saying that

ALL vegetables oils apart from Rapeseed oil and Olive do not contain unsaturated oils?

Secondly recommended BY WHOM?

There is so much you need to learn about the Geopolitics of dietary oil.
There are huge commercial interests and pressure groups that control so call recommendations and research
It is not enough to parrot saturated or unsaturated if you have not spend days studying the matter

However with respect your assertion about Vegetable oils is nonsense

The reality is that all commercially available oils contain a mixture of saturated and unsaturated oils BUT that is NOT THE ONLY consideration in what is healthy or not e,g processing, genetic modification, Vitamin content, Herbicide content etc

There are many other considerations beyond saturation of Fatty acids

AND VEGETABLE sources of oil are the healthiest oils know especially when consumed without processing for example from NUTS
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Dpharisee: 10:20pm On Dec 29, 2023
JuanDeDios:

Someone is giving you BAD advice. For health-conscious people, there are only three oils for cooking:
1. Coconut oil
2. Olive oil
3. Palm oil

Vegetable oils (the one you're calling "groundnut oil" ) go through production processes that make them very very unhealthy. Everything they've told you about cholesterol is wrong. I can't go into it in detail now, but read up.

You can eat butter and ghee too, but RUN from margarine!
There was so much lies about Cholesterol which has been exposed even in America but Nigerians are still believing the old lies, just like Dr Fauci saying wearing cloth mask protects you from covid in 2021
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Uyoukowise: 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2023
Dpharisee:

Palm kernel oil is paraffin oil not used for cooking
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2023
The simple truth is this AT LEAST 80% of cholesterol in the blood is PRODUCED BY THE LIVER

Dietary cholesterol is not readily bioavailable

What is more likely to increase blood cholesterol is diet high in red meat and animal fat AND SUGAR

American Canola oil producers are a powerful lobby group just like Palm oil producers and they have spent money churning out research and counter research over the years

What is important to remember is when they talk about Palm oil internationally or in research they are not talking of RED PALM OIL

but Refined Vegetable Oil derived from Red Palm Oil

Pure Red unrefined Palm oil is Very healthy and rich in Vitamin A which is good for your eyes
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 10:38pm On Dec 29, 2023
Dpharisee:

This is untrue Do not assert so confidently what you do not know anything about??

Vegetable oil derived from Palm Oil is known as RBDPO

That is what all the published research about palm oil is about

Palm kernel oil exists too it is a different thing and is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by adecz: 11:17pm On Dec 29, 2023
Nbote:
Why will u want to cook food with oil processed from red oil??

It's like saying, why not just use
palm oil on bread instead of using
margarine which is processed from
palm oil❓❓

In developed countries, palm oil is seen
as a crude type of vegetable oil which
should be 'refined' by bleaching out the
color and deodorizing by removing the
smell before it's suitable for use.⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️

You can see that Yoruba who use more
oil in cooking than any tribe, all the oil
gathers on their ikebe which is usually
bigger 50kg bag of rice❗️❗️❗️😱😱😱
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by SIRTee15: 11:19pm On Dec 29, 2023
aribisala0:

I am interested in educating you because you do not know what you are talking about

So are you saying that

ALL vegetables oils apart from Rapeseed oil and Olive do not contain unsaturated oils?

There are huge commercial interests and pressure groups that control so call recommendations and research
It is not enough to parrot saturated or unsaturated if you have not spend days studying the matter

The reality is that all commercially available oils contain a mixture of saturated and unsaturated oils BUT that is NOT THE ONLY consideration in what is healthy or not e,g processing, genetic modification, Vitamin content, Herbicide content etc

AND VEGETABLE sources of oil are the healthiest oils know especially when consumed without processing for example from NUTS

I dont have time for conspiracy nuts like yourself.
Arguing with u is wate of time
Here's a local research on vegetable oil, Mr white man source is evil.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338253455_Fatty_Acid_Profile_of_Some_Selected_Locally_Consumed_Vegetable_Oils_in_Enugu_State_Nigeria

I can't believe an educated mind is still pushing for palm oil as source of good nutrition in 2024.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil. Read nutrition and health section.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 11:24pm On Dec 29, 2023
SIRTee15:

I dont have time for conspiracy nuts like yourself.
Arguing with u is wate of time
Here's a local research on vegetable oil, Mr white man source is evil.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/338253455_Fatty_Acid_Profile_of_Some_Selected_Locally_Consumed_Vegetable_Oils_in_Enugu_State_Nigeria

I can't believe an educated mind is still pushing for palm oil as source of good nutrition in 2024.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil. Read nutrition and health section.
No need to be abusive can you call your mother a nut?

If not do not use such language with me because of palm oil

You claimed ALL vegetable oils except rapeseed oil and Olive oil are not healthy

That is nonsense

Do not go about catting and pasting stuff you scarcely understand
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by SIRTee15: 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2023
aribisala0:
No need to be abusive can you call your mother a nut?

If not do not use such language with me because of palm oil

You claimed ALL vegetable oils except rapeseed oil and Olive oil are not healthy

That is nonsense

Do not go about catting and pasting stuff you scarcely understand

This old man with grey hair would not respect himself.
If u becoming senile why don't u just shut up rather than constituting nuisance here.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 11:40pm On Dec 29, 2023
SIRTee15:

This old man with grey hair would not respect himself.
If u becoming senile why don't u just shut up rather than constituting nuisance here.
Do you respect your father?
Is your father senile? question?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Coolgent(m): 11:45pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

I have been having this back and forth debate with my wife regarding cooking soup with groundnut oil as against red oil but she is on the negative. I had cooked Egusi soup with groundnut oil and it taste really nice. I had also done same with okra sea food and its really nice. The reason why I want to do away with red oil is because I have been advised on my cholesterol level and the odour from palm (red) oil doesn't sit well with me these days.

I want to serve my visitors Egusi soup prepared with groundnut oil but she's declined because she's not sure how it will be received....lol

Does anyone have experiences with cooking soups with only groundnut oil and how does it taste. okra, bitterleaf, oha, vegetable, edikaikong, egusi, etc
Palm oil is healthy than groundnut/vegetables oil.
I suggest you should align with Madam, insist on reducing its quantity

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by thatigboman: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2023
GenderMix:

Banga soup doesn't require any form of oil because there is oil naturally in the Banga
the banga extract is palm oil or red oil as u call it

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Silentgroper(m): 12:49am On Dec 30, 2023
Mom used both for soup .

. does palm oil have more cholesterol btw??
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Silentgroper(m): 12:52am On Dec 30, 2023
In regards cholesterol .. studies says palm oil is safer..
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 1:06am On Dec 30, 2023
Silentgroper:
In regards cholesterol .. studies says palm oil is safer..

It is important to make this point

When we say Palm Oil what do we mean

It could mean

1. Red Palm Oil (Unrefined)
2. refined, bleached and deodorized palm oil" (RBDPO).

RBDPO is what we import from Malaysia and Indonesia as VEGETABLE OIL

But They call it Palm Oil

Most so called studies are referring to RBDPO unless they specifically say Red Palm oil

The United States is actually ranked ahead of Nigeria in the world when it comes to consumption of PALM OIL because what they are talking about is not RED PALM OIL when they say PALM OIL

This is a link to a list of the top consumers of Palm Oil in the World Most of them do not cook with Red Palm Oil
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1023677/palm-oil-importer-leading-global/
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by descarado: 1:16am On Dec 30, 2023
aribisala0:

So are you saying that

You did your research very well only that canola oil is the super refined rapeseed oil.

So canola oil= rapeseed oil.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by descarado: 1:19am On Dec 30, 2023
Dpharisee:

There was so much lies about Cholesterol which has been exposed even in America but Nigerians are still believing the old lies, just like Dr Fauci saying wearing cloth mask protects you from covid in 2021
Dr Oz ate his words about palm oil.

Covid exposed these people yet we have no confidence to challenge them. Instead we are here insulting ourselves everyday.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by aribisala0(m): 1:29am On Dec 30, 2023
descarado:

You did your research very well only that canola oil is the super refined rapeseed oil.

So canola oil= rapeseed oil.
I know that alreafy
Did I say anything different?
I mentioned genetic modification etc
They have an association in the USA that is heavily invested in discrediting Palm Oil

What is important to know is that in the US and European Union when they say Palm oil they are refrring to the Refined product which is a direct competitor of Canola oils etc
NOT Red Palm oil as we know it

The other thing to mention is that That same PALM OIL we called vegetable oil and that is probably what the OP is calling Groundnut oil. Those who were around in the 70s will remember when we still had local groundnut oil before this new Vegetable oil took over

Importers were too ashamed to tell Nigerians they were importing Palm oil which is what the rest of the world call it and and why Nigeria is listed as one of the largest importers of palm oil
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Thomasankara(m): 4:02am On Dec 30, 2023
[/color]can you use groundnut oil to cook Ogbolo[color=#770077]
Free2Fly:

You can use any of the vegetable oils(groundnut oil, olive oil, etc) in place of palm oil for any food you want to prepare.

In fact, that's what's is being used abroad. No one uses palm oil, except Nigerians who traveled with it because of their traditional link with it.

Palm oil is has a high content of palmitic acid(saturated fat) and is less healthy compared to groundnut and olive oils(which have high concentrations of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats).

As you are concerned about your cholesterol levels, you need to avoid it as much as you can.
Don't listen to these unenlightened Nigerians who prefer to use olive oil for miracles instead of cooking for which it's primarily meant for.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by grandstar(m): 4:26am On Dec 30, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

In the UK, many use alternatives to palm oil for cooking. The Egusi vegetable soup I ate in London was prepared if I'm correct with sunflower oil and it was tasty. You might be on to something but madam wey own kitchen go end the matter.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Snapdrag0n: 5:09am On Dec 30, 2023
GenderMix:
Dear Family,

Bro just say you've travel out and see other countries using the so called cooking oil (groundnut oil as it's called in Nigeria) to cook. It taste nice. I want to cook same for my mother and siblings when I return home so the feel another taste.

At first I was like what? But when I stayed over a year without seeing palm oil, I started adapting to their cooking oil. I cook okra with it and mixed everything the way we mix with palm oil, the whole medical colleagues who were staying came to taste. The smell alone they couldn't resist we ate and it was very nice.
Mind you there's nothing like greyfish and Maggi here when u leave Naija. Except in UK were London is like second capital of Lagos everything is sold there including foofoo. But here? Naaaaa

It's also one of the reasons those girls like us because we can cook. And average Nigerian man if given opportunity can cook so well. That's my experience with the cooking oil. What we use at home to fry chicken and make stew is what other countries use to make their soup.
My conclusion. There's no place like home, no food taste and sweet nicely like ekusi, afang soup, pumpkin soup with palm oil. I've missed palm oil 3yrs now.

1 Like

Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by cardoctor(m): 6:37am On Dec 30, 2023
Fake palmoil everywhere now. Pls be careful
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Depsui(m): 7:01am On Dec 30, 2023
Tallesty1:
Unah just like unnecessary stress.

First you use veg oil then you start looking for a coloring agent when you can easily use the fvcking red oil.

Naija no dey stress unah enough?

Tomato is colouring agent? Or you can't read?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Tallesty1(m): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2023
Depsui:

Tomato is colouring agent? Or you can't read?
You can't read
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by iamL(f): 9:30am On Dec 30, 2023
How is that bleached oil Nigerians calls groundnut oil more healthier than palm oil? You need to change doctor, abi na charge and bail doctors u dey use?
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by olisaEze(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2023
My friend will you run away from that kitchen! grin
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by Jecint: 10:59am On Dec 30, 2023
If it is original groundnut oil, then go ahead but if it is all these "vegetable oils" in the market, please run for your life. They're worse than red palm oil and very bad for your health. It's better you stick to palm oil.
Re: Cooking Soups With Only Groundnut Oil Instead Of Palm (red)oil by NoToPile: 11:10am On Dec 30, 2023
So the refined palm olein which they sell as groundnut/ vegetable oil here in Naija is what you call healthy. It's even written on the damn pack all those mamador and Co.

Some even call them bleached palm oil

Is there still original groundnut oil in this Naija market sef?

Except you buy those original oils, coconut, original olive, soya, canola etc your local original village palm oil is way better.

Fake palm oil mixed sef is now everywhere.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Zobo! / What Has Happened To The Nigerian Delicacy Kulikuli? / How To Make Delicious Ofada Sauce With Ease In Details (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.