Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,480 members, 7,854,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker (135 Views)

Case Between FRN, Ibeto Handed Over To Lagos Attorney General / A Snake Killed In My Lodge / Please I Need Your Help On My House Rent Issues With My Caretaker. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 11:27am On Dec 31, 2023
Around February 2022, in my 300L, I was looking for a lodge to stay in. I found one. The lodge consists of two buildings called new and old. There was a vacancy in the new building, so I paid the caretaker 160k for it. The next day when I arrived to set the room up, I discovered that someone else had paid for the same room to the lodge president. I called the caretaker, explained the situation, and asked for a refund to find another place. The caretaker offered me a room in the old building instead (the old building's rent is 140k, and it differs from the new one by having tiles and an iron door). The specific room in the old building was well-equipped, it had an iron cage and protractor, which no other room had and it turned out to be the caretaker's room, which had been vacant for a long time. I decided take it and I asked for a refund of 20k. He then told me how the room is special. So I left the 20k for him. I then pimped, painted and wallpapered the room to my taste and got comfortable.

In 2023, I renewed the rent. Around July, the caretaker informed me that he would be reclaiming the room the next year due to his involvement in supervising a nearby construction project. However, earlier in December, he returned to the lodge and occupied another room. He asked me about my room, and I said I planned to renew my rent. He then demanded 200k for the next year, stating that he will use the money to fix up a new room he will find. although I was already paying 160k in the old building and couldn't afford the increase. He told me to vacate the room if I couldn't pay.

Ordinarily, I would have graduated in 2023 due to strikes. I explained to him that I couldn't move because I was settled and in my final year. I offered to renew the room for the whole upcoming year and vacate it around November or December 2024, when I finally leave the school.

This morning, I messaged him on WhatsApp, proposing to pay half the payment, 80k now, and the remainder in January when I return to school. He replied with "Respect yourself," indicating a potential confrontation upon my return to school. Neighbors mentioned his past conflicts over the room, some involving the police. Now I'm contemplating taking similar action. I've reiterated that I can't vacate as I'm comfortable and willing to pay rent. Beside nobody told me at first after 1 or 2 years, I'll leave the room. If they had, I would have just go look for another place to rent in the first place.

I seek advice on how to proceed. Thanks, and have a Happy New Year.
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by ikeno(m): 11:42am On Dec 31, 2023
Most landlords are greedy, in as much as you still intend to retain the room for the remainder of next year, why not try and pay him the 160k in other to avoid confrontation with him.
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by shortgun(m): 11:47am On Dec 31, 2023
I'll say you should continue to compromise just as you had been doing from inception.
The caretaker perception of you is that of a young man who will take everything thrown at him changing character now will definitely lead to confrontation.
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 11:52am On Dec 31, 2023
ikeno:
Most landlords are greedy, in as much as you still intend to retain the room for the remainder of next year, why not try and pay him the 160k in other to avoid confrontation with him.
The full money is not available currently and with the lodge being in a student environment, most people don't pay rent til round April may.

Me offering half now and completing before January end is very enough on my side.
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 11:55am On Dec 31, 2023
shortgun:
I'll say you should continue to compromise just as you had been doing from inception.
The caretaker perception of you is that of a young man who will take everything thrown at him changing character now will definitely lead to confrontation.
The problem now is the drama that will happen when I return to school. I've seen him do it to several other people and thing got physical in some of those incidents. Head on head, I can't go physical with him as he's quite muscular. And I don't want any form of embarrassment. The whatapp message I sent him included happy Christmas and new year stuff and he just replied 'respect yourself'
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by ikeno(m): 12:08pm On Dec 31, 2023
onekinguy2:

The full money is not available currently and with the lodge being in a student environment, most people don't pay rent til round April may.

Me offering half now and completing before January end is very enough on my side.
Ok, just dialogue with him let him understand that this is festive period and you promise to raise the complete money January ending.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by Turquoiseee: 12:33pm On Dec 31, 2023
Just be a man of few words. Stand by what you’ve said and don’t exhibit any iota of fear. If he tries to make a fuzz about it, tell him it was never in the agreement to pay 200k from the onset

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 11:00pm On Dec 31, 2023
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 11:14am On Jan 02
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 3:47pm On Jan 07
︎ ︎
Re: I Need Your Input On This Case Between Me And My Lodge Caretaker by onekinguy2: 12:36pm On Jan 13
︎ ︎ ︎ ︎

(1) (Reply)

"She No Gree For Anybody" — Nitizens Reacts After Tolanibaj Said She Will Be Sna / Top Immigration Officer Rape Me In Presence Of My Children, Mother Cries Out / Leaked! Plane Crash Which Killed Late Army Chief, Attahiru Wasn’t Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.