Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,897 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? (137 Views)

Muslims don't celebrate nor greet for Christmas / I Don't Really Like Eating Sahur / Why A Muslim Should Not Celebrate New Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 8:30am On Jan 01
If today is your big day, then know that I never posted this to spite you. I only posted it to shield myself from the tons of unsolicited messages that might be gracing my inbox and also to let you know that you'll get none of such messages or calls from me.

You might be wondering, why would he wake up and count himself out of the celebration that is so dear to me?

Well, the following might help answer that.

I don't know if you know the history of the Gregorian calendar whose new year you're celebrating today. It might help if you take a look at it. You'd realize that a group of people came together and formulated it. While at that, they even included names of their gods as some of its months - a way of revering these gods. January is named after a god named "Janus."

So why is it necessary that I celebrate such? And don't you think it's wrong to despise me if I choose not to?

Have you ever asked yourself who came up with the idea of celebrating only January 1st out of all the days in this calendar? Do you even realize that everyday is a new year in this calendar? Let me help you find out.

Count from February 1st, 2023 to February 1st 2024. It makes a year. 1st March to 1st March. 23rd May to 23rd May. Just pick any date of choice. So, basically, everyday is a new year according to the calendar. Why then should you be mandated to celebrate only January 1st?

Isn't it sufficient to wake up in the morning and say: "Praise be to Allah who gives us life after He has caused us to die and unto Him is the return" as taught by the Prophet (peace be upon him) and proceed with your day as you'd normally do?

If you don't already know, there's also the lunar calendar (Hijri) which is so dear to us as Muslims because it is that which is recognized by our Lord, Allah.

This calendar guides us in performing so many acts of worship. For instance, the 1-month fast that we usually observe occurs in the 9th month of this calendar. And we celebrate Eid-l-Fitri (small sallah) on the first of the tenth month.

We also celebrate Eid-l-Adha (Big Sallah or Ileya) on the 10th of the 12th month.

But we don't celebrate the first day of the first month of this calendar (our calendar) as new year? So why celebrate that of the Gregorian? It's laughable, right?

And then it amazes you when you see Muslims whose intention is to do "copy-copy" and "atenuje" come out to say that the Gregorian calendar is more popular in Nigeria so we should celebrate its new year because you behave like the Romans when you're in Rome. These same set of Muslims will still follow the Hijri calendar to fast Ramadan and celebrate the two 'Eids I mentioned earlier because they don't have dates for those yet in the Gregorian calendar despite the fact that we're in Nigeria. You see this is nothing but "seku seye" kind of thing, right?

One Imam in my area even asked his congregation to come out with a sachet of WATER and a new BROOM to his crossover prayer... It's obvious he's a shameless copycat, right? "Sebi we know sey no be Muslim dey do that kind thing?" He copied the answers and also the name of the other student in this exam.

Conclusively, as Muslims, we have festivities that are legislated in the religion and we are not allowed to introduce new ones. When we become adamant and selfish and heedlessly proceed to introducing new ones, we would only be making a fool of ourselves, like the Imam of sachet water and broom above.

At this point, it should be clear to you why I don't celebrate the new year and why conscious Muslims wouldn't celebrate the new year.

It's not to spite you or anything, we're just determined to please our Lord regardless of the situation and to not bow to any pressure that might want to prevent that.

"So abeg no send me happy new year; no expect make I send am givyu."

PS: I have already said "Praise be to Allah who gives us life after He has caused us to die and unto Him is the return" this morning and I'll be proceeding with my routine activities as usual.

Peace.
Re: Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? by Abdullahi4u7(m): 8:33am On Jan 01

Re: Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? by Ireportlive: 8:49am On Jan 01
I am Muslim and I Celebrate 1st of January

As much as God dictates his rules and regulations to us to follow, he allowed room for Man to come up with his own invention

One of the most clever innovation of mankind is the simple 24 hours clock, and a Gregorian calendar

This Calendar is a bases for our Global financial year, our Global computing and internet uses it, farmers use it to plan seasons and metrologist use it to plan weather

The 365 days journey of a spiral spin of the sun was agreed to be celebrated today

Happy new year folks

1 Like

Re: Bothered I Don't Celebrate New Year? by MuhammadDeyMad: 6:18pm On Jan 09
Who beg you to celebrate the New Year with us? You can't force your Islamic calendar on us here in Nigeria that is for sure and it is the same Gregorian calendar your parent will use to calculate your Date of Birth, it is the Gregorian calendar your Employer will use to make your monthly salary or wages. So therefore you can cry us river because you're under Gregorian calendar

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

hadith of the day / The Cure To The Human Sickness / Fundraising For An Amputee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.