Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti (10071 Views)

The Difference Between Toyota Camry Se, Ce, Le And Xle Editions? / Clean Serena Bus And Volkswagen Lt Tokunbo Buses Forsale Fresh From Europe / 2006 Volkswagen Golf Mark 5. Gti. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by crispgg: 8:11pm On Nov 03, 2011
I was going through the yahoo autos website and discovered that the VW Golf is listed seperately from the VW GTI.

I have always thought that both cars are one and the same. There is no difference in the body shape or interior, though since I saw that they were listed seperately on yahoo, I started noticing that the cars I see in town have golf as the model and some have GTI.

Could the professionals please enlighten me on the difference between these very similar models( if any).
Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by Mcoldsoja(m): 9:12pm On Nov 03, 2011
Both de same thing just de gti has a more powerful engine. You can get more facts from wikipedia.
Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by femmy2010(m): 11:08pm On Nov 03, 2011
The Gti is a trim of the Volkswagen Golf.
Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 01, 2011
The "GTI" is more than just a trim level, with regards to the Volkswagen Golf.

L, CL, GL, GLX etc are mostly to do with the trim (bar the GTX whis is often offered with the largest engine, often a V6 and a more luxurious interior). 

GTI refers to the engine (1,8T), Sport suspension (lower and stiffer), different front and rear bumpers, different alloy wheels and Sport seats (fronts are usually Recaro bucket seats).

GTI will have different inference, depending on the model of Golf.

VW Golf I GTI - 1,8 I4 8V, 112 bhp.
VW Golf II GTI - 1,8 I4 8V, 112 bhp.
VW Golf II GTI 16V - 1,8 I4 16V, 139 bhp.
VW Golf III GTI - 2,0 - 2,0 I4 8V, 115 bhp.

VW Golf III GTI 16V - 2,0 I4 16V, 150 bhp.
VW Golf IV GTI - 1,8T I4 20V, 150 bhp.
VW Golf IV GTI - 1,8T I4 20V, 180 bhp.
VW Golf V GTI - 2,0T I4 16V, 197 bhp.

All the above engines will be unique to GTI-badged cars only, and will not share suspension, wheels, interior trim with lesser models like the L, CL or GL versions.

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by autodoctor: 5:25am On Dec 05, 2011
We are an Abuja based independent car repair and servicing centre and we offer free technical advice to the general public on automotive related issues. We also offer every service you could imagine from a car repair garage, from car servicing, mechanical and electrical diagnostics and repairs, clutch, exhaust and suspension repairs through to ECU fault code reading and diagnostics. We have the latest state of the art tools for dianostics right up to dealer levels including special tools for carrying out extensive repairs. We also have an international network of vehicle spare parts suppliers and we deliver to your door within a week of ordering.

Whatever it is that you need, we ensure that you recieve an excellent service from all of our staff. We have friendly and courteous staff, who are dedicated to ensuring our customer service standards are of the highest levels at all times. Over the years we have developed an excellent reputation with our clients for the quality of our service, along with our competitive prices.

Our fully trained service technicians can effectively diagnose and carry out repairs very quickly thereby keeping costs down and getting your car back on the road sooner. Our policy of making sure that the work is done right the first time and the customer is always completely satisfied has earned us the loyalty and trust of many people nationwide. Feel free to call us on any query regarding car issues and discover what makes us a step above the rest.

Thinking about purchasing a used vehicle? Let us thoroughly examine the vehicle to make sure that you aren't getting someone else’s problem by running check on engine, transmissions, electricals and bodywork (if vehicle has been involved in a major accident).

Call us on 081 62907680 for more info.

Range Rover Sport: Emission Issues.

Today I happened to come across the most bewildering phenomenum in the way some mechanics carry out their repairs. A call came in on Tuesday last week and it was about a 2008 model Range Rover Sport that had serious emission issues hence causing the car to stall intermittently. Check engine light was up as expected and fuel consumption was completely out of this world (I will assume 7-8 miles per gallon). This would have cost the owner a fortune to keep the car running in that condition.

Anyway, I raced down to where the casualty vehicle was parked, started the car and all emission related lights and warnings remained lit on the display. I let the engine idle for aproximately 5 minutes while i listened to observe any strange behaviour in the engine's idling. The idling was erratic with the RPM counter fluctuating between 650 and 1200 rpm. The situation remained the same as the engine went well into its optimum operating temperature. A quick and progresive rev of the engine revealed a thick, black cloud of smoke and suddenlly after that the engine conked out.

Without having to waste much time, I hooked up my diagnostic equipment and did a full engine scan and all emission related fault codes appeared ranging from cylinder misfires, catalytic converter codes, evaps and oxygen sensors. I now made enquiries on what had been done previously on the vehicle and I was told that a fuel additive was added at the petrol station on filling up and ever since then the smoothness of the engine and its performance gradually deteriorated. The car then spent a week at a local garage without any resolve. " Was there any part that was changed?" I asked, , "Oh no, but the guy at the garage said that there was something they were going to do to the oxygen sensors that would solve the problem." I wondered what?

I then deleted all the DTCs, started the engine and ran the engine for another 5 minutes. Check engine light came on again and I did another test. Same results. I let the engine cool down a bit and removed the downstream o2 sensors only to discover (to my surprise) that some idiot had deliberately hammered the sensors at the tip thus damaging the electrodes and rendering them useless in the emission function they were made for. I checked the upstream o2 sensors and they were ok. I quickly ordered a brand new set and replaced the damaged ones, drained out the contaminated fuel and refilled to capacity then took the car out on a flat run to clear out the catalytic converters of any excess carbon and carried out a more comprehensive check to make sure all else was fine. Touch wood. no problem since.

In a situation where fuel additives were poured into the fuel tank and performance issues became compromised, before running to your nearest mechanic, first have a thorough check done. If posible, empty the fuel tank, refill to capacity and do a flat run of approximately 20 minutes. Hopefuly that will cure it. Make sure that you delete any DTCs stored on the ECM.

Happy motoring.

Autodoctor
Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2011
^^^ You may be good at what you do, but do you have to spam the entire board to get your point across? You're posting this lengthy epistle everywhere. Why not start a thread, and stick to it?

Bloody annoying! angry

1 Like

Re: Whats The Difference: Volkswagen Golf And Volkswagen Gti by Nobody: 2:41am On Apr 05, 2016
Siena:
The "GTI" is more than just a trim level, with regards to the Volkswagen Golf.

L, CL, GL, GLX etc are mostly to do with the trim (bar the GTX whis is often offered with the largest engine, often a V6 and a more luxurious interior). 

GTI refers to the engine (1,8T), Sport suspension (lower and stiffer), different front and rear bumpers, different alloy wheels and Sport seats (fronts are usually Recaro bucket seats).

GTI will have different inference, depending on the model of Golf.

VW Golf I GTI - 1,8 I4 8V, 112 bhp.
VW Golf II GTI - 1,8 I4 8V, 112 bhp.
VW Golf II GTI 16V - 1,8 I4 16V, 139 bhp.
VW Golf III GTI - 2,0 - 2,0 I4 8V, 115 bhp.

VW Golf III GTI 16V - 2,0 I4 16V, 150 bhp.
VW Golf IV GTI - 1,8T I4 20V, 150 bhp.
VW Golf IV GTI - 1,8T I4 20V, 180 bhp.
VW Golf V GTI - 2,0T I4 16V, 197 bhp.

All the above engines will be unique to GTI-badged cars only, and will not share suspension, wheels, interior trim with lesser models like the L, CL or GL versions.
Bro, this may be a really old post but which engine is more powerful; GTX or GTI, or is there a higher than those 2?
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Ford Explorer 2013 Toks N7.5 XLT 4WD / Check Out The New Look Of The 2013 Honda Accord @ 6.2m last. / 2018 Model Benz Cla250 4matic Toks Super White

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.