Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) (13723 Views)

Ivory Coast Vs DR Congo, AFCON 2023 Semi-finals (1 - 0) On 7th February 2024 / AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Supporters Unleash Anger On Team Bus After Loss / Ivory Coast. Vs Nigeria: AFCON 2023: 0 - 1 On 18th January 2024 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by FootballRadio(m): 11:37am On Jan 18
The super Eagles of Nigeria will be in action today against the hosts of the AFCON Cote D’ivoire at 6PM.

In weeks leading up to the AFCON, Nigerians on different platforms have voiced out their their reservations/support for the eagles. Some optimistic against all odds and some cautiously optimistic because of the glaring reality on ground surrounding performances, players,injuries e.t.c which might affect their chances to “do it again” after a decade of falling short.

Since the Mourinho recommended gaffer took charge of this team Alot has left to be desired. Looking at the results under peseiro and performances in those matches I am forced to ask how do we intend to do it again?
We cannot airbrush this reality staring us in the face and lazily rely on blind support hinged on vibes and Insha Allah with a little touch of “God giveth and God taketh” to do the job for us when there are still questions needing answers going into the ivory coast game today;

Where is the element of surprise in this team?
Who is that “x factor” player we can call on from the bench to shake things up?
Osimhen will almost always guarantee you goals but if he doesn't score, who steps up?
What is Peseiro’s tactics and in game management know how?
It’s good and overall healthy to have hope and pray for the team but is that gonna cut it?

I know Nigerians are one of the most supportive and patriotic people I know but you can't keep deliberately making absurd decisions that defy logic everytime and when this go south we are told to be “patriotic and pray” for the team to succeed.

When we say Morocco will win the AFCON, it is because of their seriousness and exploits at the word cup.
When we say Senegal might retain the title, look at their team, antecedents and their footballing structure all round.
But what bragging rights do we have as Nigerians aside the Best player on the continent?
These are pertinent questions but lets all pray and hope we beat ivory coast today even if we cannot point to any reason why we can.
At least we can dream. But the sooner we wake up and smell the coffee and begin to do things right, I don't think we are prepared to win a fourth AFCON.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18
Reality is we must pray and hope we win because we are not good enough. If the favourite, Ivory coast win I know we will still qualify for the next round.
We rarely lose against underated teams in AFCON group stage unlike Ghana and Tunisia who normally get shocks and upsets from them. Only to give a hell of a fight when they face us. angry

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Neduzze5(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18
After this match, everybody go open calculator for their phone.

The usual mathematics will begin soon!!

91 Likes 7 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Ernerstdavid55(m): 12:42pm On Jan 18
grin Ahhhh who stole my ftc
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by toy2020(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18
Nigeria to win

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Jimoh7555: 12:43pm On Jan 18
Ok
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Lannyjoe4u: 12:43pm On Jan 18
Too many thread unto this match. I'll be back after

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Kukutente23: 12:43pm On Jan 18
I still don't understand how we are playing Afcon 2023 in 2024
Must Africa be backward in everything?

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by jericco1(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18
the truth of the matter is that we do not have a team

8 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Sergio101(m): 12:43pm On Jan 18
Ivory to win wink

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by extol1(m): 12:44pm On Jan 18
Since the club have sacked the person that recommend this super eagle coach, his own sacking is approaching

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by spiSeyi: 12:45pm On Jan 18
Nigeria to win by 2 goals and if we eventually beat Ivory Coast 🇨🇮 we will win AFCON
Modified: Nigeria won in 2013 might happen again I see Nigeria wining this AFCON cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by AbdulQuadry(m): 12:45pm On Jan 18
Please help me. I am dying of hunger.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Domistar5(f): 12:45pm On Jan 18
Kukutente23:

Ikegwuru

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by wolesmile(m): 12:45pm On Jan 18
We got this...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by saasala(m): 12:45pm On Jan 18
Nigeria will win AFCON.

Mark my words!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by extol1(m): 12:45pm On Jan 18
Kukutente23:
Oga, it was COVID-19 that scattered it

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by nairalanda1(m): 12:46pm On Jan 18
Someone gets it.

Nigeria is going to lose today. No, we will lose.
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by JoshTim: 12:46pm On Jan 18
Na draw or naija wins
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Kukutente23: 12:48pm On Jan 18
extol1:

Covid-19 affected only Africa? Because I am not understanding

6 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Omadachi(m): 12:49pm On Jan 18
Can someone share any good link to watch this match.Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Honestey: 12:49pm On Jan 18
f
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by seandurse(m): 12:49pm On Jan 18
By 10pm. What you will be seeing on social media and hearing on the streets is "IF IF IF" this one beat that one and this one loss and we win the last game, we go qualify. Different pattern. No better style of play, no better coach. Team buruku legbe corona

10 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by STEPHENPERE844(m): 12:50pm On Jan 18
me i don give up since with them, they used to make people pb high and i no like dat
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by kokakola: 12:50pm On Jan 18
Most Nigerians are pretending to be unpatriotic on social media concerning our team in this AFCON but deep within their conscience, they desire naija to win and even lift the trophy regardless.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by ecolime(m): 12:50pm On Jan 18
I won't watch the match.

I will check the final scores on Nairaland at 8.30pm. If the score make sense, I go re-watch the match online.

No be me una go give hypertension

7 Likes

Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by spencekat(m): 12:51pm On Jan 18
extol1:

No mind him.
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by kestolove95(m): 12:51pm On Jan 18
I Don buy calculator to calculate if Guinea loose ND cotedvoire play draw we go qualify..
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by robosky02(m): 12:54pm On Jan 18
JP
Re: AFCON 2023: Ivory Coast Vs Nigeria. Patriotism Vs Reality(opinion) by Timoleon(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18
Kukutente23:

This edition of the tournament was initially planned to be the third since 2019 to take place during the Northern Hemisphere's summer, in order to reduce scheduling conflicts with European club teams and competitions, however it was postponed by CAF to 13 January – 11 February 2024 on 3 July 2022 due to the adverse summer weather concerns in Ivory Coast, whilst retaining the edition's original name for sponsorship purposes. This followed the 2021 edition in Cameroon also being moved to the Northern Hemisphere's winter season for similar reasons.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pinnick Wants Victor Moses Back To The Super Eagles / Valverde: Barca Won 2 Laliga Titles But Nothing Is Good Enough For Some People / AFCON 2021: Cape Verde Vs Cameroon (1 - 1) On 17th January 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.