Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] (62601 Views)

Alice Adepe: Miss Nigeria 1963 Honoured In Benue 58 Years After (video) / Jo Pearl: “I Ended My Relationship With Burna Boy Because Of My Mental Health” / Ronke Tiamiyu: Why I Ended My Engagement & Dumped My Fiancé (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by owukpa(m): 12:00pm On Jan 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeoBp2KFZQ
Miss Alache, Miss Nigeria 1963, has lamented that her state, Benue, failed to celebrate her despite making her proud.

Alache broke the jinx as the first woman from the then Benue-Plateau to win the highly coveted crown.

Against the backdrop of fame, Mama Alice’s life took an unexpected turn, leading her to the tranquil hamlet of Otukpo Icho in Otukpo Local Government Area of Benue State.

Sixty years after her historic victory, she graciously shares her poignant story exclusively with Idoma Television.

We are aware that you were crowned Miss Nigeria in 1963. You are from this town (Otukpo). Today, our team from Idoma Voice thought it wise to come pay you a visit and have a chat with you. Could you please tell us more about yourself?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your team for coming all the way to visit me. Thank you very much.

I was crowned Miss Kano before becoming Miss Nigeria in the same year – 1963.

After my victory in Kano, I was taken to Lagos for the Miss Nigeria contest. Then, it was Daily Times (Newspaper) that was sponsoring the beauty contest.

During the contest, it was Benue-Plateau. It was a friend of mine that encouraged me to join the contest.

An Igbo lady called Chinyere. When they arranged the contest in Kano, she met me and said we should join the contest.

I told her I was not interested because, in my place, the moment you begin to showcase yourself, people will be saying negative things about you.

Above all, my father was hot-tempered, so I was scared, but she insisted.
I told her what would happen if we didn’t win; she pointedly said if I didn’t win, she would win. So I reluctantly joined the Miss Kano beauty contest, and I won.

Those of us that put in for the competition in Lagos were from 19 states. I am not the first Miss Nigeria; the first Miss Nigeria was Theresa Ogunbiyi from the southwest.

It was 7up Company that the competition took place, and I emerged victorious.

But unfortunately for my friend (Chinyere), she didn’t win.

So, after my victory, the Woman Editor of Daily Times, who was in charge, Theresa Ogunbiyi, took us to London. We were on a tour of London for about two weeks before we returned home.

After my trip to London, I returned to Kano to continue with my business until my mum died.

This place I am occupying is not my father’s house. My family house is somewhere down the hills.

After my mother died, as the most senior daughter, I came here to do the necessary rites. This is my mother’s house.

And I have been staying here ever since.

You said it was your friend that encouraged you to join the beauty contest; did you buy any registration forms then?

Not at all, during our time, it was not about money or education. All they wanted was charisma and beauty.

What inspired you to go into the contest?

It was because my friend encouraged that we should go that either of us must win. The contest then, how was it like? Like? What did you people do then?

Nothing special; after my emergence as Miss Kano, we were taken to Lagos and we were camped in a hotel – 19 of us from various states. It wasn’t all about money or connections.

It was based on merit. We spent about three weeks before the day of the competition.

Apart from the London trip, what were the other benefits?
[/b]Various companies gave us many things. Items like a sewing machine, cartons of noodles, and several other things.

After winning the competition, did you put it for other contests like Miss World?

Not at all. I didn’t go anywhere after that. Why?

Because they take anybody to Miss World; even those that won before me didn’t go for Miss World.

[b]You said it was after your mother’s death that you relocated to this village.

Yes, so that the house won’t be empty.

So, from 1963 after your victory till now, do you have any regrets?

Not really.

The only regret is that I had thought that after my victory, my state government would have remembered me, but they abandoned me. That is my only regret.

But I thank God that I am still alive. I am sure you were not even born when I won the crown.

So, you were born after that, and you have now known me. So, I have no regrets apart from the fact that my own state has forgotten me.

Do you have any advice for young ladies going into beauty contests?

Yes, I have things to tell them, but none of them come to me.

I think in Benue as a whole, it was Ene Lawani who became the second person from Benue to win Miss Nigeria.

But despite that, I still thank God for sparing my life and you people have remembered to come celebrate me. I am grateful.

41 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by immortalcrown(m): 12:04pm On Jan 25
owukpa:
Not at all, during our time, it was not about money or education. All they wanted was charisma and beauty.

The only regret is that I had thought that after my victory, my state government would have remembered me, but they abandoned me. That is my only regret.

Girls should learn from this. Sex and beauty do not bring a lifetime honour. Once they fade, their benefits go. How far with Olajumoke the Bread seller?

166 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by owukpa(m): 12:18pm On Jan 25
More pix

13 Likes

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by advanceDNA: 12:34pm On Jan 25
She said the government Abandoned her..?? Lol.....make i nor talk wetin dey my mind

108 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Foodqueen(f): 12:35pm On Jan 25
One of my niece that wanted to become a model saw shege promax from men.

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Aliyu55: 12:43pm On Jan 25
Foodqueen:
pro X or pro 15

please be specific cheesy

160 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by We4all: 1:02pm On Jan 25
She didn't take advantage of the opportunity to better her life. Mama still looks graceful but living in poverty. It is well.

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by ekelebeXstunner: 1:07pm On Jan 25
Why wasn’t she promoted all these years? She was still young in the 80s, she could’ve done something worthwhile then.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by dawnomike(m): 2:17pm On Jan 25
She's still beautiful at old age.

192 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by b3llo(m): 2:28pm On Jan 25
Beauty runs deep

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Babakolanut(m): 3:59pm On Jan 25
Thank GOD you are still alive

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Anguldi(m): 4:51pm On Jan 25
Foodqueen:
Men go use you tire

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Kingrshd3: 6:10pm On Jan 25
NOTHING TRULY LAST FOREVER

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Dpaulie(m): 6:11pm On Jan 25
village people draw her back home

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by ecolime(m): 6:12pm On Jan 25
Foodqueen:
Which Shege be that? cheesy

Spill it. Let us learn

8 Likes

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Zanzibar1: 6:12pm On Jan 25
Time change everything

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Kingrshd3: 6:13pm On Jan 25
Foodqueen:

Before nko 😂

She must open leg Wella na

13 Likes

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by money121(m): 6:14pm On Jan 25
Ok

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by JuanDeDios: 6:15pm On Jan 25
advanceDNA:
She said the government Abandoned her..?? Lol.....make i nor talk wetin dey my mind
You saw that too.

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by ShangTsung000: 6:15pm On Jan 25
IYOO...

This is to remind our girls that nothing lasts forever.

I mean your beautiful face.

ONYE ANWULU!!!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by GGIA: 6:16pm On Jan 25
Aliyu55:

pro X or pro 15

please be specific cheesy
Pro Clito cool

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Judolisco(m): 6:18pm On Jan 25
Village people oh

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by rajiedreez: 6:18pm On Jan 25
Nothing last forever

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:18pm On Jan 25
Use of cucumber to win a beauty pageant was not a requirement at that time.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by advanceDNA: 6:19pm On Jan 25
JuanDeDios:

You saw that too.

Baba I see am ooo..

1 Like

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by tishbite43: 6:20pm On Jan 25
Shege To Be Seen
The Mixtape
Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Patriotic9ja(m): 6:21pm On Jan 25
Cool but mama still failed to take responsibility even at old age. Still blaming the government for her own wrong decisions.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Akinzo2121(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25
Naija my kontiri
Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Worldlegend(m): 6:23pm On Jan 25
She is still beautiful at her age…

Let us write your dissertations and assignments..

Check my signature

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Ended Up In The Village – Miss Nigeria 1963, Alice Alache Adepe [VIDEO] by Nahunger(m): 6:24pm On Jan 25
angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Michael Blackson Calls Out 19-year-old Girl Who Wants To Have Sex With Him / Jim Iyke Heads To The Village With Armed Force – Photo / Cossy Orjiakor Crashes Party In Abeokuta (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.