Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri (15354 Views)

Reno Omokri: Nobody On Earth Needs An iPhone13 / How To Get 2GB Of MTN Data Using 100 Naira / The Secrets Of Mtn Night Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by AnonPoet: 4:56pm On Jan 25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhQmUU4-XzI?si=ptX-CQrkAQBIJeL0

In an investigation that spanned three countries and took several months, former Presidential spokesperson and bestselling author, Reno Omokri, has come out with an exposé documenting the exploitative practices of telecommunications giant MTN and their effect on the economies of multiple sub-Saharan countries.

The exposé traced the economic malaise now afflicting the Ghanaian economy partly to the monopolistic policies of MTN, which had led to an unprecedented capital flight from that beleaguered West African nation.

Last year, Ghana was forced to label MTN a monopoly and slammed heavy fines of $773 million on them for damaging the Ghanaian business environment. MTN went to court, but in October, it was defeated at the Appeals Court, which ruled that the Ghanaian government was right in its classification of MTN.

In Omokri's documentary, titled 'How MTN's Monopoly Destroyed The Ghanaian Economy. And Nigeria Is Next!', the renowned author, travelled to Ghana and interviewed government officials, chambers of commerce operatives, and labour union activists, as well as market women and ordinary Ghanaians.

Ordinary Ghanaians were observed lamenting the erosion of their personal economy by MTN, with a market woman saying, 'All of us in this country now work for MTN'.

Labour leaders complained about MTN's use of interconnectivity rates to stifle other telcos, forcing the government of Ghana to slam a fine of $773 million on MTN. MTN responded by suing the Ghanaian government but lost in court.

Omokri pointed out that whereas all the large and medium-sized African nations where MTN is operating have struggling economies, the fastest growing large economies in Africa, such as Ethiopia and Tanzania, both with an average 6% GDP growth rates, do not have MTN operating in their countries. He opined, with data, that this could not be coincidental.

In the documentary, Kevin Ekow Taylor, one of the most prominent journalists in Ghana, had this to say about MTN's monopolistic practices in Ghana:

"MTN is basically monopolising the system. They have taken advantage of the market too much. It is all because government upon government have given MTN too much room to cheat the Ghanaian."

Every day, an estimated $2 million leaves the Ghanaian economy to South Africa, MTN's home country. That is disastrous for a country with a GDP of less than $80 billion.

Omokri also travelled to Kenya and interviewed a well-known Kenyan activist, Bishop Wycliffe Khaemba, who said as follows:

"The type of things that are happening in Nigeria and Ghana in the telecoms sector can't happen in Kenya, because our government is alive to its responsibilities."

He was referring to Kenya's Information and Communications Act (Interconnection). This legislation is light years ahead of similar legislation in other African nations.

The Kenyan legislation specifically targets preventing a monopoly in the telecommunications industry by requiring "dominant providers to adhere to the principle of non-discrimination. A dominant interconnection provider is obligated to determine the interconnection charges based on objective criteria and to observe the principles of transparency and cost orientation. Failure to comply will result in the CA requesting the interconnection provider to adjust the charges or risk the imposition of a default interconnection charge by the CA."

Omokri's documentary, which has since gone viral, features a prominent U.S. Mayor, Mike Arnold, the elected mayor of Blanco, Texas, who urged Nigeria and Ghana to look inwards, rather than outward to foreign goods and services, especially in the telecommunications sector.

Posted By Reno Omokri On X (Formerly called Twitter)

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by DEXTROVERT: 5:08pm On Jan 25
MTN
Wan
Kill
Glo
With
This
Format

If
Not
For
Glo
Only
Politicians
Would
Have
SIM cards

I
Have
About 100k of bonus to call other network and even roll over weeks.
Mtn does not roll over bonus credit,

DSTV
already
Killed
hiTv
Startimes

84 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by brain54(m): 5:13pm On Jan 25
Hate them or love them...

One thing you can't take away from mtn is that they are reliable in the service they provide.

Most times the other networks they compete with are cheaper - calls and data. But you cannot help but rely on the mtn. Just recently I bought another network chip but I can't even use it because it's unreliable or unstable most times.

Monopolies tend to be exploitative. The aim of business is to make as much profit as is possible. Businesses will take advantage of loopholes in the system.

The government should be alive to it's responsibilities of ensuring laws are in place to limit the excesses of these companies in a proactive way.

Mtn obviously didn't go to any country to play!

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by rayvelez(m): 5:14pm On Jan 25
This is what omokri use to celebrate his 50 years birthday

5 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Borrow222: 5:15pm On Jan 25
Useless Clown.

So finally you're tried of calling PO.
PO really finished you with silence.

94 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Nwaezeudo: 5:24pm On Jan 25
This white bearded goon again. Come straight and tell the Drug Lord that he has failed woefully not beating around the bush. Hypocritical goat!

Assuming it was Obi that's failing this way you would have gotten a ring light and be dropping videos on why you never supported him back to back but now we have to blame MTN for the economy that's in shambles and not the incompetent Iragbiji mandate thief undecided

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by FreeStuffsNG: 5:24pm On Jan 25
I get his point but aot of things ruined the economy of Ghana and it predated the arrival of MTN in Ghana.

It is absolutely impossible for MTN to ruin our economy in Nigeria. Not even Dangote nor Shell Nigeria could ruin Nigeria let alone a fellow African foreign company.
God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by money121(m): 5:25pm On Jan 25
Ok

1 Like

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Itiskdg121(m): 5:25pm On Jan 25
Hmm
Prophet Reno have spoken.

What is this guy's job again?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by abhosts(m): 5:25pm On Jan 25
If I am to make a guess, I think this clown is trying to extort money from MTN. His assertions are baseless because a significant stake in MTN Nigeria is now owned by Nigerians and not South Africans.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by nstore: 5:25pm On Jan 25

1 Like

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by BlocksNG(m): 5:25pm On Jan 25
God have mercy upon us
Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by TheRealMalcolmX(m): 5:26pm On Jan 25
undecided

If Glo gives quality service all year round, they would be worthy competitors. However, I remember how many times I've subscribed on my Glo sim but was unable to use it due to poor network.

Similarly, in over eight years I've never had a single issue with Stanbic Bank (owned by Standard group) but I had to stop using my Zenith and Access banks due to horrendous service.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by gaskiyamagana: 5:28pm On Jan 25
Nothing but true.
We must forever be thankful to GLO. We knew this. Infact,if not GLO minimum MTN recharge card could have been #500.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by topradar4(f): 5:29pm On Jan 25
Interesting Exposure, when they finish with MTN, Then they move to DSTV. Funny how South Africans will not allow this kind of monopoly in their own country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Randal: 5:29pm On Jan 25
I agree
Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by OgaRico(m): 5:29pm On Jan 25
Nigerian version of xenophobia loading....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by omoredia: 5:30pm On Jan 25
The Mockery

3 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by jice(m): 5:30pm On Jan 25
Reno is only looking for money. He has left PI to face MTN.

6 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by joachimnkenchor(m): 5:31pm On Jan 25
Dangote comes to mind

4 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Alexis11: 5:32pm On Jan 25
Borrow222:
Useless Clown.

So finally you're tried of calling PO.
PO really finished you with silence.

What exactly is wrong in what he said?

Reno represents the truth. Stop hating unnecessarily.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Kaido: 5:33pm On Jan 25
I hardly recharge my MTN SIM card.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Omihanifa: 5:33pm On Jan 25
Now everybody dey form BBC grin releasing documentaries cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Winning123: 5:33pm On Jan 25
brain54:

One thing you can't take away from mtn is that they are reliable in the service they provide.

Most times the other networks they compete with are cheaper - calls and data. But you cannot help but rely on the mtn. Just recently I bought another network chip but I can't even use it because it's unreliable or unstable most times.

Monopolies tend to be exploitative. The aim of business is to make as much profit as is possible. Businesses will take advantage of loopholes in the system.

The government should be alive to it's responsibilities of ensuring laws are in place to limit the excesses of these companies in a proactive way.

MTN reliable?

1 Like

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by spiSeyi: 5:34pm On Jan 25
That is the quality of Midas Touch Entrepreneur, MTN has what others don't have (they care about the little things which is a quality customer care service & seamless connectivity that other telcos overlook while the same can't be said about others like GLO, Orange, e.t.c ) . MTN does it well that is why they are controlling the sub-Saharan Africa market
cool

7 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by bigdammyj: 5:34pm On Jan 25
Noted.
Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by OKUCHI11(m): 5:35pm On Jan 25
F
Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by LZAA: 5:36pm On Jan 25
DEXTROVERT:
MTN
Wan
Kill
Glo
With
This
Format

If
Not
For
Glo
Only
Politicians
Would
Have
SIM cards

I
Have
About 100k of bonus to call other network and even roll over weeks.
Mtn does not roll over bonus credit,

DSTV
already
Killed
hiTv
Startimes
Startimes is still alive
HiTv like TSTV killed itself

2 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by Lanre1st(m): 5:36pm On Jan 25
AnonPoet:

Posted By Reno Omokri On X (Formerly called Twitter

also travelled to Kenya and interviewed a well-known Kenyan activist, Bishop Wycliffe Khaemba, who said as follows:

"The type of things that are happening in Nigeria and Ghana in the telecoms sector can't happen in Kenya, because our government is alive to its responsibilities."

Is our government know what to do or implications of their activities than to collect bribe from them

2 Likes

Re: Effect Of MTN's Monopoly On Economies Of Sub-Saharan Countries - Reno Omokri by OKUCHI11(m): 5:37pm On Jan 25
brain54:

let other networks improve on their services... Haha...

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Does Airtel BIS Promo For 2,800 Really Work? / Infinix Joins Dr Sid And Evogames To Host Mobile Gaming Tournament / Android Is Even More Unsecure Than We Thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.