Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar (7272 Views)

Opay Clarifies New CBN Directive, Reassures Customers Funds Are Secure / Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria / CBN To Sack Bank Directors With Bad Loans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by BrandSpurNG: 3:45pm On Feb 06
Bank Directors Association of Nigeria has expressed support for a directive by the Central Bank of Nigeria asking commercial banks to stop “hoarding’’ foreign currencies.

The CBN had last week expressed concerns over the escalating foreign currency exposure of banks through their Net Open Positions.

Consequently, it issued a circular titled, ‘Harmonisation of Reporting Requirements on Foreign Currency Exposures of Banks,’ directing lenders to sell all excess dollar stocks to their customers.

In the circular, the CBN stipulated that the NOP limit for overall foreign currency assets and liabilities should not exceed 20 per cent short or zero per cent long of shareholders’ funds.

Reacting on Monday, BDAN said it was fully aware of the CBN circulars which it said were aimed at fortifying the nation’s financial system.

“The association wholeheartedly supports these comprehensive measures which underscore the commitment of the CBN to ensuring the stability and resilience of the banking sector,” the association said in a statement by its Chairman, Board of Directors, Mustafa Chike-Obi, on Monday.

Following the CBN directive, dollar supply rose by 180 per cent to $440m at the official foreign exchange market (NAFEM).

Reacting, BDAN said, “This directive, along with other prudential requirements outlined in the circular, plays a critical role in ensuring the effective management of foreign currency exposures”.

According to the central bank circular, the CBN aims to mitigate potential losses that could pose significant systemic challenges.

These regulatory measures, it was said, “underscore a strategic initiative aimed at bolstering risk management, transparency, and accountability within the financial industry.

“The Bank Directors Association of Nigeria acknowledges and commends the Central Bank for its proactive stance in safeguarding the interests of depositors, investors, and the overall economic well-being of Nigeria.”

BDAN disclosed that it viewed the requirements as a positive step towards creating a resilient financial landscape and preventing adverse effects on the banking sector.

The statement further reads in part, “The association applauds the CBN’s commitment to proactive regulation and remains supportive of initiatives that contribute to the stability and prosperity of the Nigerian economy.

“Therefore, the association encourages all banks to fully comply with the new directives and actively participate in the implementation process to achieve full compliance.

“Furthermore, the association acknowledges the meticulous work undertaken by the Central Bank of Nigeria in consulting stakeholders and experts to ensure a balanced and effective regulatory approach.

“As advocates for responsible banking and ethical conduct, BDAN believes that these guidelines will contribute significantly to the long-term sustainability, growth, as well as the overall efficiency, transparency, and stability of the banking sector, ultimately contributing to the nation’s economic development.”

While pledging its support for the apex bank, BDAN said the steps being taken were in the right direction.

“BDAN pledges its continuous collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria and other stakeholders to foster a dynamic and resilient financial ecosystem that serves the interests of all Nigerians.

“We believe that these steps are in the right direction to improve the effectiveness of the Banking system and we are fully in support,” it submitted.
https://punchng.com/bank-directors-back-cbn-over-sale-of-excess-dollars/?amp

4 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Hhansome(m): 3:45pm On Feb 06
Way to go but,

This administration will favor me and my family.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by matify83: 5:09pm On Feb 06
After round tripping abi?

Why won't be happy.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by kokoA(m): 5:15pm On Feb 06
Nigeria is a very strange country o, why would banks be hoarding foreign currency in the first place?

14 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Paraman: 5:29pm On Feb 06
Nigerians also support the CBN on the policy

5 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by EverythingPhone(m): 5:23am On Feb 07
I track lost or stolen mobile devices or phones at an affordable fee
Contact me via siggy below

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by busybrain123(m): 5:23am On Feb 07
Lol. Audio support. Go to any of those bank branches now and demand for USD and see the response they'll give you.

Dollars wey politician don pack hide against 2027 general election.

The only remedy to this nonsense going on this country is simple.

Conduct free and fair election and watch all this nonsense die a natural death.

Nobody will be hoarding the dollar for elections.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by emerged01(m): 5:24am On Feb 07
kokoA:
Nigeria is a very strange country o, why would banks be hoarding foreign currency in the first place?
Na for politicians na.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by franugo(m): 5:25am On Feb 07
they cannot really dispute or challenge CBN tho, kinda like a slave-master relationship.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 5:27am On Feb 07
BrandSpurNG:

Noise making, that is one of the xteristics of Tinubu administration. They do the talking than ACTING. While not implement before telling us. Mtchewwwww. I Built Lagos. See where we are now, the Cocaine sniffer knows nothing forced himself onus through the Judiciary and Mamood the election rigger. Come 2027 Tinubu's name will go into EXTINCTION

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Focusmind: 5:27am On Feb 07
I couldn't believe that we would get to a situation where the exchange rate in the parallel market (Aboki) would be lower than the official rate (Banks). Last week was terrible in the Nigerian FX market. Aboki was selling lower than the banks!

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Goodlady(f): 5:28am On Feb 07
Hhansome:
Way to go but,

Not you, it's me n my family, amen. 😂

Meanwhile, shebi dollar is now N1650?
A sincere govt ll cut down their earnings to prove to the masses that times are tough!
From the president to the reps in federal and at state level, all of them are earning extremely fat and I m not seeing the logic behind it. You compare Nigeria to other worst nations and govt officials ll be saying they are doing well here despite earning more than govt officials of developed nations. Which kind wastage and bad biz be that?
It's a curse to earn more than you are worth!

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Passionnn: 5:30am On Feb 07
There are just too many unpatriotic citizens. People are only just too interested in accumulating money without realizing or considering the long term implications.
These dollars that are scarce are safely locked in people's accounts. Both tinubu and atiku we were told, shared dollars to party primary deligates. ) I'm it's not rocket science.
Even if the excess is sold, these same people will still hoard them

2 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Nahunger(m): 5:32am On Feb 07
angry
Make Una continue dey play games lol
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Oyeconnect11(m): 5:36am On Feb 07
God help
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by bigdammyj: 5:46am On Feb 07
Hope it’ll yield positive results.

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Bolingua1: 5:47am On Feb 07
kokoA:
.The banks are hoarding it for high level govt officials..it's an organised crime.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Teenaira: 6:06am On Feb 07
busybrain123:
Lol. Audio support. Go to any of those bank branches now and demand for USD and see the response they'll give you.

But if my candidate does not win the next election, then it is not free and fair.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by Didijiji: 6:40am On Feb 07
Teenaira:

But if my candidate does not win the next election, then it is not free and fair.
your candidate wey win ha fa
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by sonofthunder: 6:44am On Feb 07
BrandSpurNG:

Does this mean I can now get dollars at the official rate?

What is the official rate?
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by LegacyB: 6:51am On Feb 07
After the bird as escaped?
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by jimmynauty: 6:59am On Feb 07
Hhansome:
Way to go but,

Anen i receive same for me and my family too
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by kehnderson(m): 7:12am On Feb 07
Hello good members of the group. I hope this message finds you well. My friend has been exploring opportunities in the civil service, and I've heard that having the support of well-connected individuals (not just merit) can be beneficial. Given the network and experience of some members here, I was wondering if any kind hearted might have any link to politicians (or the likes) or advice or guidance on navigating this process. He's frustrated so, he'd greatly value your insights and appreciate any assistance you could provide.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by ViceGovernor: 8:39am On Feb 07
Lol 😂 e pain them well well
CBN don collect their feeding bottle

2 Likes

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by phemray(m): 8:50am On Feb 07
accordadoga22:
Hehehe

Dem for no comply now..

We keep blaming the government in everything but we are all corrupt

Exactly!!

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by itsene: 8:58am On Feb 07
accordadoga22:
Hehehe

Dem for no comply now..

We keep blaming the government in everything but we are all corrupt
Very much so and wicked on top.
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by pharmagba: 9:02am On Feb 07
Wrong comment!
How can they show support?

To put more aptly, "bank directors carried out CBN marching orders!"
Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by itsene: 9:02am On Feb 07
Ajehkpako4naija:
Noise making, that is one of the xteristics of Tinubu administration. They do the talking than ACTING. While not implement before telling us. Mtchewwwww. I Built Lagos. See where we are now, the Cocaine sniffer knows nothing forced himself onus through the Judiciary and Mamood the election rigger. Come 2027 Tinubu's name will go into EXTINCTION
Not quite one year yet, my friend.
Are you a consumer or producer?
The country needs more producers, so focus on your contribution to society please.

1 Like

Re: Bank Directors Show Support For CBN’s Directive On Sale Of Excess Dollar by phemray(m): 9:06am On Feb 07
busybrain123:

Ok good . But what is the definition of free and fair? And in Nigeria where everyone is corrupt except those that are yet to have the opportunity and access. Infact, soon electoral officers will start demanding for money b4 u can cast your ballot. Nigerians are the problems of Nigeria. Imagine if someone ( insider) can kidnapped priest for ransom what message is he sending to real bandits? that the business is lucrative but we keep blaming government as if they are not from the rotten society before being elevated. Just imagine some people on Nairaland were giving appointments tomorrow, so what new things will you be experiencing differently from Thier mindset.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

THE BEST DAILY 2odd Around(sports Trading) / You Do Not Need Money To Start A Successful Business / Nigerian Traders In Ghana Kick Against Non-compliance With ECOWAS’ Protocols

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.