Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. (672 Views)

Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / Can You Survive If You Stopped Working In Tech? / Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 3:46pm On Feb 12
I have been learning Devops since early 2023, and just started frontend and a bit of backend this year.

Recently i got talking to a fellow Devops trainee, (some context we both started the training together last year, he is in Canada).
He told me he had gotten a job in December last year, working hybrid for a firm in Canada (Vancouver)-(Devops Engineer - 100k annual with benefits), I was happy for him.

Then he explained he just got a second job working remote in the Us (Atlanta to be precise)-(backend developer. 75k annual with benefits)

The shocking part is he is planning on doing the two jobs together, and get this, i know he his coverage on devops is at entry level, and his programming skills are literally html, css and javascript (basic level)

I had to ask how he did it.

He explained that he paid to joint a couple of whatsapp and telegram groups that in his words "guide" people on how to get tech jobs.

He showed me one of the whatsapp group and their process of "guiding", for me this was really shocking.

My takeaway i got from what he showed.

A. Being in the US/Canada is a big plus (particularly for interviews)
B. Having indept background in tech is not a must (Its a plus though) as candidates were literally "guided" through.

This has increase my drive to grow my knowledge, as there are people on these i saw that i know that even at my level i know 2X better than they.

Still, i have to ask, do any of you know of any groups like these that currently operational in Nigeria or other places?

2 Likes

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by guysbewise: 8:38pm On Feb 12
Such whatsApp groups are for those who are connected. Like the emilokons! If you know you know!

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by guysbewise: 4:21pm On Feb 17
Programming jobs are always waiting for them even though they are mediocres.
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 7:42pm On Feb 17
guysbewise:
Programming jobs are always waiting for them even though they are mediocres.

So true bro.

But when these guys are talking about jobs where their annual pay is $90,000 - $120,000,

One can not help to be curious about how they are doing it.

I am seriously contemplating on joining my friends group, but the money ain't cheap at all.

It just boggles me that even white guys are willing to cheat to change careers for something better

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Suicideboy: 8:03pm On Feb 17
First you're forking confused hoping from one stack to another

DevOps is not entry level

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by edicied: 8:17pm On Feb 17
It's everywhere o, Go Linkend make you go see things, especially all this big tech company in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Lontorlooka(m): 9:25pm On Feb 17
VanHack does that . I once paid $250 for two months premium membership. Got no single interview from them though .
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Beautifulday: 2:20am On Feb 18
Lontorlooka:
VanHack does that . I once paid $250 for two months premium membership. Got no single interview from them though .

What!

You would have paid a professional that money to write you a CV no company can turn down. Just be good with what you said you are good in.
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Lontorlooka(m): 9:34am On Feb 18
Beautifulday:

What!

You would have paid a professional that money to write you a CV no company can turn down. Just be good with what you said you are good in.

I am not sure if my resume is the issue. No harm in seeing another person writing it for me though.

Any link to the professional cv writer ?

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Beautifulday: 9:37am On Feb 18
Lontorlooka:

I am not sure if my resume is the issue. No harm in seeing another person writing it for me though.

I will try and check. Not a Nigerian writer though. Try foreign cv writers, especially in Germany. It cost 50 to 100 euro.

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by DissTroy(m): 11:58am On Feb 18
Beautifulday:

What!

There are no guarantees with this too, man. In tech - hands-on tech like programming, your portfolio ranks above your CV. Heck! Your CV only boosts your portfolio. It'd get you the interview but there are no guarantees.

What the OP is referring to are failproof gig-sourcing or job-sourcing platforms.
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by guysbewise: 1:17pm On Feb 18
Only a satanic whatsApp group can guarantee you a job in tech. If you know you know.
I have worked with these people in tech overseas, they act like mafias when working with them but top manament are in their pockets and they are allowed to keep their jobs even if it means they cannot deliver the projects they are asked to work on, they even get promoted to senior, lead and managers.
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by Think9ja(m): 6:19pm On Feb 18
Lontorlooka:

I spent 3 months after my bootcamp without getting a single interview. There was this HR lady on twitter claiming resume expert. I contacted her and she said 8k for CV and cover later. That resume did not get me a single interview even after a month. I kukuma stopped using it. My friend gave me his indeed login details where I have access to every kind of cv for every kind of job.

Na wetin I de use now.

My point is resume writing in Nigeria is also not the solution

I unfollowed and muted that HR lady on twitter and she never followed up to see if her service produced the necessary result

2 Likes

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 12:22pm On Feb 20
Suicideboy:

First you're forking confused hoping from one stack to another

DevOps is not entry level

I had this mindset before, and i would have answered you with that annoying mindset.

But lad, i won't.

You know why.

Maybe you are comfortable where you are

Maybe you work with the principle that what you know can get get you what you want

Or may be you feel what i am doing is not the right way according to you standards.

But if you have been where i have been and seen what people are doing to succeed.

You will quickly learn that in life, there are no straight parts to success, any skill that will help you get ahead, you learn it and try.

So i'm not sorry if my sense of direction offends you, if i choose to jump from Devops to Node, python and any other language i like, is souly up to me.

If any of them land me an in in a tech firm, then hooray, as i know if i doesn t and i come here and mention that it does. likely you will be one of the first to ask me how i did it Lady.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 12:38pm On Feb 20
edicied:
It's everywhere o, Go Linkend make you go see things, especially all this big tech company in Nigeria.

It wasn't just linkedin that keyed me in, it was Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/ITCareerQuestions/comments/172y6v4/i_entered_the_it_field_unemployed_and_with_no/

Still, i got a previous of the group and an invite to attend one of their interviews.

Will try to update once done.

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 12:40pm On Feb 20
Lontorlooka:

My friend introduced me to the group head, i was invited to see one of the group memebers interview.

I will let you know how it goes once i am done.

1 Like

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by guysbewise: 7:31pm On Feb 23
cj1080:

My friend introduced me to the group head, i was invited to see one of the group memebers interview.

I will let you know how it goes once i am done.

SCAM alert any group that ask you for money to get any job is a SCAM!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by cj1080(m): 4:00pm On Feb 25
guysbewise:

SCAM alert any group that ask you for money to get a any job is a SCAM!

Ok so sorry for the delay guys

So the group confirms true.

I was allowed on a zoom call with members of the group on friday and also on 2 members interviews for a Senior Devops position and a cyber security position both in The US.

So far what I saw was quite impressive and not a scam.

Let me put it this way, these guys are advanced.

And I have decide to find means to join the group later.

Why later.

Most people on this group are in the states or Canada.

The ones getting the jobs on the group are those in the states or Canada.

My conclusion, it seems massive experience in an area in tech was not required to get a job with the help of the group. also just living in the Us or canada seriously enhances your chances of getting a job.

This is why I said Later, also the total monetary package involve, is well beyond my Nigerian pay grade.
Re: Are There Groups That Help Those In Tech Get Remote Jobs. by guysbewise: 4:36pm On Feb 25
A group like that does exist but it's not just any group like that. You need connections to be in such a group.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CISE Certification / You Need A Website? Get It Now, Pay Later! / Free Wikibook On How To Create A P2P (Peer-to-Peer) System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.