Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? (3775 Views)

A Friend Lost His Job: How To Future-proof Your Career! / Things You Learnt In Your First Job / How To Get My First Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 10, 2011
I think a persons 1st Job actually affect his/her career, Considering the way the Nigerian economy is designed you are likely gonna keep writing professional exams in line with your current job in other for you to be outstanding and have better grounds during the promotion exercise. Let me use myself as an example. I served in an advertising firm, and after my service year, i got attracted to adverting, got myself enrolled in some of their professional exams and payed all the required attention to grabs all what is all about. I spent almost another 6months there after my service year, before getting the Job am doing currently in a financial institution. Right now i think, sleep wake-up dine and plan my come back to adverting. It's one of the most interesting Jobs on earth. Its like catching fun while working.

What do you guyz Think? Does your 1st job affect what you become in future? Intelligent responses please
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by ucheykuche: 12:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
Yes it does a great deal, except the Good Lord himself comes to your rescue, If you start as a marketer chances are that you will remain in that line, start as a teacher chances are that you will remain in that line. In my own case started out as a Junior consultant in a Consultance firm but now gearing towards HR fully, wanted to be an Investment banker earlier in my career. Still hoping to go back to Investment.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by yamakuza: 2:05pm On Nov 10, 2011
Sometimes true, but not always true.

I guess its as a result of people having to take whatever job is readily available, and hanging on to it rather than pursuing roles suited to what they studied -> (usually an accident of JAMB).

You want to be a doctor, they give you zoology, you get a banking job, and remain in the financial sector; unable to pursue your earlier dreams as time goes by.

[s]Lemme leave out starting threads about job satisfaction, or its lack thereof.[/s]

In short, it might be due to lack of planning/direction/trajectory (in most cases).
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Oluwa77: 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2011
No it does not.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Oluwa77: 3:15pm On Nov 10, 2011
Yes It does. Al the places i've work they do appreciate my work
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by 25omega(m): 3:24pm On Nov 10, 2011
It depends on if that first job is actually in the career you are choosing to pursue.

An example would be me, i have worked a lot of different professions and at the moment my career has nothing to do with the first job i had or even the second job i had.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Jarus(m): 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2011
To a considerable extent, I agree.

I read Economics and intended to work in an organization where my knowledge of Economics can be put to use, like CBN, DMO or even Shell.

I got an Accounting job immediately after finishing my NYSC, wrote ICAN and qualified as a Chartered Accountant. I currently do Accounting job.

But I have not lost sight of going back into Economics.

I know the Group Chief Finance Officer of a big company in Nigeria that had engineering background. He studied an engineering course for 1st and 2nd degrees. But he got his first job in an Audit firm, PwC. That was teh beginning of his Accounting career. He went ahead to write Accounting professional exams and I think an Msc in Finance. Today, he is a guru in Finance/Accounting and ED Finance in a big, popular Nigerian company whose operations stretch beyond Nigeria.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by iyatrustee(f): 4:00pm On Nov 10, 2011
Oluwa77:

Yes It does.

Oluwa77:

No it does not.

talking from the two sides of your mouth right?
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by manutayo(m): 4:02pm On Nov 10, 2011
When you know where you are going the starting place doesnot matter u get to be focus and have set goals.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2011
Without a doubt!
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by lahips: 4:11pm On Nov 10, 2011
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Wallie(m): 4:19pm On Nov 10, 2011
More likely than not because you’re more likely to get a subsequent job based on your current experience. If I’m an employer looking for an accountant, I’m most likely going to hire someone that can do the job and one of the ways of knowing what a person can do is by looking at their experience. Even if I was willing to hire a recent graduate, why would I hire someone with an engineering experience that studied accounting 3 years ago when I can find a recent accounting graduate?

To switch to a new job that is not entry level, your prior experience or your current knowledge must be applicable to the new job unless you get lucky. You can demonstrate your current knowledge by going back to school or obtaining certifications.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by BoOOosHBoy: 5:09pm On Nov 10, 2011
Your first job shouldnt affect ur subsiquent ones. You should be able to adapt
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by godman01(m): 6:32pm On Nov 10, 2011
I don't know but i don.t think so. You can change career anytime, nobody is stopping you
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by SmileyB: 7:00pm On Nov 10, 2011
I think it depends on the organization and yourself to a large extent. I work where the boss only likes some pple and he supports them. The others are nonentities! I remember before i took the job he promised to allow me for for the second phase of a training i attended b4 i was called for the interview. When it was time to go for the training, he told me he didnt want to hear about it and i had to be there for a year b4 he will allow me go for the training. Na my money i wan use yet i was denied the chance to go learn! The salary's relatively low and you'll begin to wonder if you're in the right line or you should start changing organizations! Encouragement's next to zero and all the equipments at work are almost spoilt! Well, i have refused to let them run me down. I prefer to change organizations and work for someone who will appreciate my skills and not make me feel like an idiot and i'm a waste of time!
If you can take charge, then it wont affect you! Also if that organization is ready to train you, the better!
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Oba234: 7:36pm On Nov 10, 2011
Not only in Nigeria. Even here in the US with the economic recession, you don't have liberty to be picky. As a recent college graduate, if you are offered a good job, you will take it and majority of the time people tend to stay in the field they started working in. Even if you decide to move to a different career field later on in life, It will prove to be difficult to gain entry because you don't have experience in the new field and even if they do hire you, you will earn significantly less because you will probably be in an entry level position. This leave you no choice than to stay in your current career since probably now have heavier responsibility now than when you started off such as paying car note, rent, credit card bill, electric bill, etc. so you decide to just stay on your field and pursue more options within the field than start all over. This is why most people stay in the career field that they start of with. It is important to be careful what job you accept after graduating from college or grad school because this will most likely determine your path.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by dandollar1: 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
I wish I cud change career! I hate banking. Studied engineering but found myself here.6yrs down the line already.is it still possible? cry
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by demmy8: 8:18pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nigerians Please Vote this picture to put our name on the world map. To vote click on this Facebook link and click "like" under the picture. Thanks for the love of our fatherland, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=309160292443937&set=a.309159345777365.93310.127636357262999&type=1&theater
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by demmy8: 8:19pm On Nov 10, 2011
Nigerians Please Vote this picture to put our name on the world map. To vote click on this Facebook link and click "like" under the picture. Thanks for the love of our fatherland, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=309160292443937&set=a.309159345777365.93310.127636357262999&type=1&theater
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by demmy8: 8:31pm On Nov 10, 2011
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Respect101(m): 8:38am On Nov 11, 2011
Hi
I am Fred Ndukwe, from Abia State. I am a 1st & waz retained in my school(ABSU) as a graduate assistant. I learnt you are a 1st & waz thinking if we can form a sort of society to help our likes. U can email me with -ifeanyi.ndukwe1@yahoo.com so we can discuss more.
Warm regards.
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by AjanleKoko: 9:12am On Nov 11, 2011
Ijogz K:

I think a persons 1st Job actually affect his/her career, Considering the way the Nigerian economy is designed you are likely gonna keep writing professional exams in line with your current job in other for you to be outstanding and have better grounds during the promotion exercise. Let me use myself as an example. I served in an advertising firm, and after my service year, i got attracted to adverting, got myself enrolled in some of their professional exams and payed all the required attention to grabs all what is all about. I spent almost another 6months there after my service year, before getting the Job am doing currently in a financial institution. Right now i think, sleep wake-up dine and plan my come back to adverting. It's one of the most interesting Jobs on earth. Its like catching fun while working.

What do you guyz Think? Does your 1st job affect what you become in future? Intelligent responses please

WTF do you mean, intelligent responses please?
You think your first post was intelligent?
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2011
AjanleKoko:

WTF do you mean, intelligent responses please?
You think your first post was intelligent?
So they have finally discharged you from Yaba Left? shocked, Who paid for the bills?
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by AjanleKoko: 8:58pm On Nov 11, 2011
Ijogz K:

So they have finally discharged you from Yaba Left? shocked, Who paid for the bills?

Chai.
You can see why it's not good to play hookey when they sent you to school. See the result now tongue
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by netotse(m): 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2011
@op
it depends on what your goals are. . .but it's pretty certain that it will shape your career to some extent. How much? only time can tell!
Re: Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:22am On Nov 13, 2011
Most definitely

(1) (Reply)

Ccna Exam Material / Which Is Better, NOUN Or UNILAG DLI / Fundgram Empowering Lives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.