Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,301 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? (39915 Views)

BUA Moves To Crash Cement Price To N3,500 After Meeting Tinubu / BUA Promises To Reduce Cement Price / Dangote: Our Cement Price Is Lower In Nigeria Than Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 5:13pm On Feb 17
Hotice085:

Mr common sense abeg tell us our total crude production for last year
You can check online with NBS or DPR/NNPC LTD and am sure you will get that info...Mr Uncommon sense grin
How is total crude production relevant to the discussion. Some of una just dey too thick grin grin grin
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 5:15pm On Feb 17
Hotice085:

Person wey neva chop for past 3days de open mouth
Wetin we no go see for Nairaland
Come to Games Village (Abuja), 4th Street off 2nd Avenue, make i use food kill you.
No dey generalize your feeding situation for house, my own no be like that. grin grin grin
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:16pm On Feb 17
Lifemanage:

Best hotel, says who. Dangote is useless to Nigeria masses, even though he has gained a lot from the country. If what he is doing were to be happening in MTN and other telcos, nai mean say we no go breathe. The way I see it, it seems south African companies are better investors than our Dangote. Why raise prices when diesel has been stagnant, raw materials are in his factory sites, with low labour costs....he is too insensitive

Na govt duty to checkmate all these capitalists!
They don't wanna do their work. It is so painful . The govt people might even be joining hands with the capitalists to sink this nation.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Hotice085: 5:18pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

You can check online with NBS or DPR/NNPC LTD and am sure you will get that info...Mr Uncommon sense grin
How is total crude production relevant to the discussion. Some of una just dey too thick grin grin grin

Monkey confirmed monkey from Aba jungle
Even Emiefele the entire National Assembly the Auditors of NNPC no sabi na the thing wey criminal directors for NNPC post for Internet you believe

Take it from me you useless pass useless,me I go sell for your village over and over again
Monkey wey de believe NNPC website, you mumu no be small
Ewu Gambia
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Fearurcreeator: 5:19pm On Feb 17
Nbote:

Dangote enjoys tax relief from the government. Limestone and other materials used for production is sourced locally and not imported. Cost of production alone is not enough for him to triple the price of his cement. It's funny how everyone blames farmers for hoarding grains and inflating prices for commodities but yet no one is talking about people like Dangote for doing same
If Dangote own is expensive buy from others
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Hotice085: 5:19pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Come to Games Village (Abuja), 4th Street off 2nd Avenue, make i use food kill you.
No dey generalize your feeding situation for house, my own no be like that. grin grin grin

I no fit laugh
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Fearurcreeator: 5:20pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

BUA and LaFarge also increased the prices of their products too, BUA cement is even more expensive but it's okay you can continue with your Dangote-phobia...the poor like hating the rich grin
You clearly have no idea that limestone while available in Nigeria has to be mined using heavy machinery that guzzles diesel which sells for over 1000 naira per liter, and gypsum which is used in cement plants and it mostly imported in commercial quantities and paid in dollars which is very hard to come by in Nigeria and also cost of diesel for running the factory and transportation.
Person go just post crap because him get access to internet.
Control your coded envy and jealousy of Dangote. BUA too enjoys tax relief just like other heavy manufacturers like INNOSON but it's okay you can kee foaming from the mouth over Dangote a private businessman who is not responsible for policy formulations while ignoring the banza government you supported and voted for as well.
No be only Dangote dey sell am ... Since his own is expensive they should buy from others... Do t understand the hate for the man sef
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by egharevba72047: 5:21pm On Feb 17
Kindly ask your governmentKindly ask your government...
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by success1smyn(m): 5:22pm On Feb 17
Passionnn:
Open Google and type
WHO OWNS NIGERIA?
Then come back and let's discuss

Do not always read from one perspective. You will be misinformed.
For the answer to your question, Google will display Aliko Dangote as the owner of Nigeria, but go back to the same Google and type the owner of China and you will see Jack Ma
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by LordBillionz: 5:25pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

"Don't tell me 'Na statistics we go chop'?"... Which kind insult be this na? grin
So you think i am an Agbadorian? Kai , this thing pain me fa embarassed embarassed embarassed
Make e no pain you, simply provide figures to support you claims...
And tell me why the biscuits I use to buy 100 naira since last Christmas has remained same till now while the price of Cement keep increasing?
Or the beer I take has remained same at same price...

Or they don't import machineries and burn fuel to produce such?
They don't transport these goods too?

Provide the figure and facts.

I am waiting

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Hotice085: 5:33pm On Feb 17
LordBillionz:

And tell me why the biscuits I use to buy 100 naira since last Christmas has remained same till now while the price of Cement keep increasing?

I am waiting

The guy no just get sense, na just to de rant critical thinking na Taboo for their village

If basic economics works in Nigeria many banks for don collapsed for Nigeria instead you see them declaring profits wen economy de nose dive
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Badgers14: 6:02pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Because in Nigeria anything goes. I guess you have not heard of consultants in NNPC and CBN earning in dollars before. Amosun earned same as a consultant under Diezani, it is illegal but it happens in Nigeria.
Your last question is actually dumb, Nigeria as a country has it's reserves in dollars because the naira is barely worth the paper it is printed on.

The bolded is what my post is trying to highlight .

In your last sentence. You tried to mock "yourself" but ended up ridiculing yourself.

The bottom line is, naira is the official currency of Nigeria and anyone working or doing business in Nigeria should be conducting that business in the official currency which is NAIRA.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by bizzibodi(m): 6:06pm On Feb 17
maasoap:

No, you're partially wrong. They first created artificial scarcity, a situation where what they supply to the market is less than what people need. Ask yourself, why all of a sudden? Prices of other materials have going up steadily under Tinubu but cement price remained the same until about three or four weeks ago when the supply was reduced.
The major component of cement is limestone and it's abundantly found in Nigeria. How much does it cost a bag of cement to be transported from the factory to the remotest part of Nigeria? Can't be more than N500
My brother No artificial scarcity cements are everywhere.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:13pm On Feb 17
WHY THE PRICE OF CEMENT SKYROCKETED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfGSj_IBEKY

WHY THE PRICE OF CEMENT SKYROCKETED
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Babinski: 6:16pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

This same old elementary argument again. Crude oil is sourced in Nigeria, has that stopped you lot from importing PMS and Diesel?
Common sense is not common.

PMS and Diesel are imported wholly and that accounts for their pricing dependency on FX rates regardless of the sourcing of crude oil locally.

On the other hand, importation of cement is banned and it is produced and packaged locally with the major raw materials sourced locally. So what is the FX component of cement production compared to PMS and Diesel that are wholly imported to justify your comparison?

Commo sense really is not to be common for you and that appears to be your signature rather than being a mere comment.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by emperor4love(m): 6:26pm On Feb 17
Quest7777:

So Dangote is bigger than Tinubu who is the President & Commander in Chief of Armed forces?
he is not most share holders are ppl u look upto to fight de guy cos of price,plus tax government de wire de guy
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MirrorofChrist: 6:38pm On Feb 17
Passionnn:
Open Google and type
WHO OWNS NIGERIA?
Then come back and let's discuss

Imagine? sad
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Origin(f): 6:52pm On Feb 17
Because it's a monopolistic market.....

No incentive to manage cost or even bargain competitive prices.

Nigerians should BOYCOTT all non essentials goods for now. That is the only solution.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Irony1: 7:15pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Yes but not enough to satisfy even 20% of the demand for the local market hence the importation.

Even at that Cement is not meant to be this expensive

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 7:42pm On Feb 17
Babinski:

PMS and Diesel are imported wholly and that accounts for their pricing dependency on FX rates regardless of the sourcing of crude oil locally.

On the other hand, importation of cement is banned and it is produced and packaged locally with the major raw materials sourced locally. So what is the FX component of cement production compared to PMS and Diesel that are wholly imported to justify your comparison?

Commo sense really is not to be common for you and that appears to be your signature rather than being a mere comment.
You have no idea.
For me it's a signature, for you it's genetic grin... you were born brain-dead stupid.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by fkj950ax(m): 7:44pm On Feb 17
The level of ignorance amongst Nigeria is very alarming
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 7:45pm On Feb 17
Badgers14:

The bolded is what my post is trying to highlight .

In your last sentence. You tried to mock "yourself" but ended up ridiculing yourself.

The bottom line is, naira is the official currency of Nigeria and anyone working or doing business in Nigeria should be conducting that business in the official currency which is NAIRA.
"You tried to mock "yourself" but ended up ridiculing yourself" ... get a grip oga cheesy
If you are that thick, i am not.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by jimts(m): 8:03pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Mumu, so because it's produced in Nigeria that has epileptic power supply and because the raw materials are locally sourced then it means the cost of production will not increase?
Limestone is mined from the quarry using heavy equipment that runs on diesel that is selling for over a thousand naira per liter. Others like gypsum are mostly imported and paid for in dollars which the naira cannot keep up with, coupled with the cost of diesel needed to run the cement factory and cost of transportation.... but a slow being like you believes the cement manufacturers just want to punish the masses.
Educate yourself you illiterate...or better still establish your cement factory so you can produce and sell for 1000 naira per 50kg bag. Banza kawaii.

You sound like someone I know
Nazir is that you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 8:05pm On Feb 17
LordBillionz:

I am waiting
You want to compare the process of cement production and biscuits? Have you ever seen a limestone quarry? Only coal mining comes close in terms of efforts and expense.
Machinery for biscuits have been fabricated locally since the days of Okin biscuit, where in Nigeria can you manufacture a cement kiln? Do you have the tech and know how?
Dangote refinery has the world's biggest Atmospheric tower (Crude distillation column) which was built by SINOPEC in China, that piece of equipment alone gulped up to $2B , constructing a modern cement kiln in not what you build in a year and only the OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) can supply you with spare parts and after sales services. A cement kiln once powered on requires a specific period before it can be turned off so whether you are in production or not you are burning diesel. You need to visit an actual cement plant to appreciate the complexity of the production process.
No dey compare biscuit production with cement production, one is a capital intensive business while the other is not.

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 8:06pm On Feb 17
jimts:

You sound like someone I know
Nazir is that you cheesy
grin grin grin
This is Nazir NOT.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by lawani: 8:22pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

You want to compare the process of cement production and biscuits? Have you ever seen a limestone quarry? Only coal mining comes close in terms of efforts and expense.
Machinery for biscuits have been fabricated locally since the days of Okin biscuit, where in Nigeria can you manufacture a cement kiln? Do you have the tech and know how?
Dangote refinery has the world's biggest Atmospheric tower (Crude distillation column) which was built by SINOPEC in China, that piece of equipment alone gulped up to $2B , constructing a modern cement kiln in not what you build in a year and only the OEM (Original equipment manufacturer) can supply you with spare parts and after sales services. A cement kiln once powered on requires a specific period before it can be turned off so whether you are in production or not you are burning diesel. You need to visit an actual cement plant to appreciate the complexity of the production process.
No dey compare biscuit production with cement production, one is a capital intensive business while the other is not.
Cement was invented by pre industrial Rome and some of their structures are still standing
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by bizzibodi(m): 8:27pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Yes, they can't because they were never taught theories of such cheesy... and am not kidding.
I doubt that, cement industry dnt has complex machineries like oil & gas industries but we have lots of indigenous technicians servicing it.
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by bizzibodi(m): 8:31pm On Feb 17
gaskiyamagana:

Good talk but what of corruption instinct of Nigerians? What did not damaged, he will say it's damaged, given money to buy new ones, he will buy fairly used or stealing some parts and sell to get more money but indirectly ruining the business for the owner.
Even investment own by whites black still steal under their nose.local contents laws made it mandatory for locals coys to handles some aspect unless he does has d capacity.still it is d Nigerian management that brings in expatriates for what can be fixed cheaper because of what they will get bringing in expatriates.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by MASTERCHIEF0847(m): 8:38pm On Feb 17
bizzibodi:

I doubt that, cement industry dnt has complex machineries like oil & gas industries but we have lots of indigenous technicians servicing it.
Where in Nigeria can a cement kiln be manufactured?
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by Blakjewelry(m): 8:39pm On Feb 17
ivolt:

Do you mean all garri producers held a meeting and decided to hike the price?
Why didn't they do the same thing 10 or 15 years ago?

Your comment is typical of someone who has never run a major business.
In my area the village people increase theirs once the news come that the people in the city have increase their price.

We wanted to buy garri bag for home use and we gave a lady that brings in from the villa. Just 2 days after she left the market she went and the price went by 300 in the town when she got to the villa she said the news price of garri increase has gotten to the village so they too have increase theirs.

I was in a vehicle going somewhere during the beginning buhari second tenor, a man was praising buhari and mentioned how his brother who has been living in the city for years and couldn't build a house came back to the village started garri farming and now that he is completing his building.

Before now the major factor that affect garri is weather conditions like too much sun or flooding.

Another major problem we have is union, once union fix price you must obey. Like Keke for instance, it was 50 naira before per drop even with the increase in fuel. Now the union increase it to 100, then 150 now I heard they announced 200 now all their members are forced to comply.

What of sachet water, they guy that supplies my aunt still sells cheaper for her, I remember there was a time was going to face some problems because of that. He still sells cheaper till date for her compare to others.

Abi you wan talk of trip of sand, the day the union raised the price from 18k to 25k there was no increase diesel which is the only consumable in their job. Infact diesel was stable for a long time before they increase their price,now it should be around 50k now.

Look I not saying there should be no increment but at least it should explainable.

The price of fuel has been stable for a couple months now so what is cause of the increment at least they can't lie that on transportation increase. If things which depends on forex is increasing it will be understandable but the way every damn things even those which don't require imported raw materials sef dey increase price dey baffle me.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by kpompey: 8:46pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

Still waiting for you to tell me who your father is and what he has achieved cheesy
While my parents may not be as privilege as your late parents, they were so fortunate to raise good children who will never throw their names in mud. I may not be a military or medical personnel, but my sibling and I have enjoy God's grace that today we have given succour to many Nigerians who ur greedy paymaster who have send to early grave. It is not about billions but contentment, happiness and self fulfilment. Omo baba brigadier
Re: Why Exactly Is The Cement Price Going Up This Way? by LordBillionz: 9:02pm On Feb 17
MASTERCHIEF0847:

How often do they import this machinery?

You're asking why I'm comparing the prices?
How much is a bag of cement compared to a carton of biscuit?
Who goes in the production of each and what the net profit each make per kilogram of produced quantity?

What goes in in each and what comes out?

Let's start from scratch for each and then we can compare....

Like I said, I want figures and facts...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Celebrates Christmas With Family (photos) / Woman Uses Her ‘Spider-Woman’ Skills To Gain Entry Into Banking Hall / N5m Goods From Cotonou Destroyed As Boat Capsized At Bonny Jetty In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.