Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,203 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi (18235 Views)

Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer / A Roaster Maize Seller Divides Maize In Half For Those Who Cannot Afford Full / Guest Seen Draining Beer Completely From Its Bottle, Today, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by adenigga(m): 7:17am On Feb 20
The Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian Breweries Plc, Hans Essaadi, has said that the economic situation in Nigeria has deteriorated to the extent citizens can no longer afford to buy beer.

Essaadi said this on Monday at the company’s investor call following the release of its 2023 results.

“It has been unprecedented year for our business in Nigeria. We saw a significant decline in the mainstream lager market as a result of Nigerian consumers no longer able to afford a Goldberg after a hard day’s work,” Bloomberg quoted Essaadi as saying.

NB suffered a N153bn foreign exchange loss due to the devaluation of the naira for the year ended December 2023.

For the period under review, the company grew its revenue by 8.9 per cent to N599.64bn from N550.64bn. Net finance expense rose significantly by 449.7 per cent to N189.19bn, dragging the brewer to a loss of N106.31bn, from a gain of N13.19bn at the end of 2022.

In comments accompanying the financial results, the NB Board of Directors said, “The Nigeria business landscape experienced significant shifts in 2023 with substantial impact on businesses and livelihoods nationwide. The redesign of the naira notes which resulted in cash shortage that severely hampered social and economic activities nationwide set the tone for a turbulent year.

“High double-digit inflation rates (with food inflation at more than 30 per cent), removal of subsidy on premium motor spirit (fuel), devaluation of the naira, and foreign exchange scarcity further exacerbated the already difficult environment for the populace and businesses.”

He added that despite the headwinds, “The company was able to grow its revenue by nine per cent compared to the previous year aided by a positive price mix. However, the operating profit fell by 15 per cent due to higher input cost and one-off reorganisation costs despite strong and aggressive cost savings and other efficiency measures. Coupled with the impact of the devaluation of the naira which resulted in a foreign exchange loss of N153bn, the Company recorded a net loss of N106 billion during the year.”

The board went on to state its preparedness to tap into its decades of experience of operating in Nigeria to weather the current macroeconomic headwinds.

“In a difficult operating environment, the board will ensure that the company builds on its more than 77 years experience of operating in Nigeria to cope with current realities. The company will continue to be resilient and forward-thinking leveraging our broad portfolio, strong supply chain footprint and passionate workforce to drive long-term value creation for its shareholders and other stakeholders,” the board said.

In August, NB reviewed the prices of its products upward to accommodate the continued increase in the cost of inputs.

NB produces alcoholic products like Star Lager, Gulder, Legend Extra Stout, Heineken, Goldberg, Life, and Star Radler.

The Central Bank of Nigeria harmonised the segments of the foreign currency market in June 2023 leading to a devaluation of the Naira.

The effect was felt by different companies that recorded forex losses. However, the banking sector faired better as they enjoyed FX revaluation gains.

Source: https://punchng.com/Many-Nigerians-can no-longer-afford-beer-NB-CEO

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Streetdoctor: 7:20am On Feb 20
That's just d raw truth. I remember 2019 a bottle of lager beer was sold at d rate of 250 while in some hotels 300-350
While Turbo king was 350-400
Big Stout 450-500
2024 lager beer 900-1000
Turbo 1100
Big stout 1400-1500
Tinubu is a miracle working president jare
Now they hv banned sachets, I'm wondering how Westcoast go survive in getting tipsy. Bcs down east and most SS sachets are not that common, either u take beer, confirm palm or sapele water

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by princepeter566: 7:24am On Feb 20
God do this one for me
I never drank alcohol no smoke nor do drugs since my 30 yrs plus here on earth.
Thank u Jesus for training me up for a day like this

90 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by advanceDNA: 7:30am On Feb 20
When all companies keep posting losses because of naira devaluation......how will u enjoy company income tax as a nation??

U remove oil subsidy only to spend more than you saved on the same subsidy because of the peg u removed on he currency ....

And he still dare to use our foreign earnings that they are claiming is not enough to fund cheap and free trips to hajj...

As in.....is this man normal at all....?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by nairalanda1(m): 8:02am On Feb 20
Meanwhile, many Nigeria's livers, kidneys and hearts are rejoicing. grin

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by MajorOvakporaye(f): 8:02am On Feb 20
Yes, many Nigerians cannot afford beer again including idiots who wanted to teach Peter Obi and some people a lesson. Fools.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Chummynoni(m): 8:02am On Feb 20
Point of correction, many Drunkards. We are talking about food and other necessities, this one is talking about Beer.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Ofunaofu: 8:02am On Feb 20
grin

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by finallybusy: 8:02am On Feb 20
Earnings, losses, profits, yet the price of a beer bottle is not listed. Nigerian journalists will not make heaven.

It’s not like the average man needed more than a bottle daily to begin with. I see the situation as a win.

6 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by malali: 8:02am On Feb 20
The livers are not complaining.

Healthy Liver, Happy Life.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:02am On Feb 20
That is good news to religious leaders.
Islamic leaders and Hisbah answer to that news is "Allahu Akbar".
General Overseers and pastors answers to that is "To God be the Glory"
Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Akfrenzy(m): 8:03am On Feb 20
angry grin our hypocrite brother's will say

"As if we care " 😜

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Xwizard: 8:03am On Feb 20
Start taking colos instead

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by sukkot: 8:03am On Feb 20
🙆🏽‍♂️Niggas don’t need to be drankin on beer anyway when palmwine is free in the tree 👀
Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by vickthourh(m): 8:03am On Feb 20
Switch to ogogoro or palmwine(those one self go Don add money)

Well, it is not by force to drink beer, if you cannot afford it, then quit, you can channel your beer money to other sectors in the house.

5 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by nairalanda1(m): 8:03am On Feb 20
advanceDNA:
When all companies keep posting losses because of naira devaluation......how will u enjoy company income tax as a nation??

U remove oil subsidy only to spend more than you saved on the same subsidy because of the peg u removed on he currency ....

And he still dare to foreign earnings they are claiming is not enough to fund cheap and free trips to hajj...

As in.....is this man normal at all....?

Yeah, government should stop funding pilgrimages really, both christian and muslim. If you want to go on pilgrimage, start a savings account, save N5000 In it, and then put it in an interest yielding akant or something, and when it is adequate, go on your own money.

5 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by UbanmeUdie: 8:03am On Feb 20
shocked

BAT is evil.

Tinubu is a devil.

Ahmed is Satan.

Bola is a Demon.

Ashiwaju is a monster.

Nigerians asking God for mercy are jokers.
Your choice, your pain and sufferings.

Tinubu, the Rehoboam of our time. This is indeed the great Tinubulation. Even agents of the devil like Beer companies are crying hard.

Indeed I'm redeemed to flourish in hard times.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Judithjovial(f): 8:03am On Feb 20
We warned you about their propaganda govt now una no fit chill normal again. I've got them Summer Air to beat the hot weather

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by NairalandForumo: 8:03am On Feb 20
It is not even about the drinking of the beer, but the purchasing power....

Shame on Tinubu and all his supporters...

inoki247:
Lol Palm wine and Ogogoro too as been affected by Dollar...

The people selling it don't live in Nigeria, they live in mars and don't buy things that are dollar imported, the way you guys reason....

4 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by jayAjoku(m): 8:04am On Feb 20
They should save the money and drink water they will be much healthier

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by inoki247: 8:04am On Feb 20
Lol Palm wine and Ogogoro too as been affected by Dollar...
Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Oracleee: 8:05am On Feb 20
princepeter566:
God do this one for me

Does that make you better than folks who drink?

Why is there this stereotype drinking is bad!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by iLoveYouToo(m): 8:05am On Feb 20
Prices increasing, income stagnant; recipe for disaster

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by axglide(m): 8:06am On Feb 20
Drink water 💦 folks only water 💦

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Pinicop(m): 8:06am On Feb 20
Many can't even afford to eat 3-square meals of ordinary carbohydrate-concentrated food, talkless of beer.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Martinsmine(m): 8:06am On Feb 20
We go repent from beer very quick

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by iLoveYouToo(m): 8:06am On Feb 20
princepeter566:
God do this one for me

How is this a win for you?

For someone who claims not to smoke or drink, you sound like a crack head

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by ipobarecriminals: 8:07am On Feb 20
cool
Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Gabrielwilliams(m): 8:07am On Feb 20
Beer! The joy of closing from work and having one with friends is gone. Suicide rate go high this period. Please check on one another.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by Nawa4nl: 8:08am On Feb 20
make we chop fess

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Can No Longer Afford Beer - NB CEO, Hans Essaadi by b0rn2fuck(m): 8:08am On Feb 20
Beers na for the riches now, no be for the rich anymore not to even talk about poor man

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Ever Eaten Termite? / Cooking Tips For Career Minded Single Guys (pictures Included) / Bad Plantain Chips Rumour: NAFDAC Investigates Melting Rubber Into Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.