Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,303 members, 7,836,318 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? (265 Views)

Amazing Output From My Yam-in-sack Farming (pictures) / Sack Farming In Limited Yard Space... (yam, Palm, Vegetables) / Is Snake Farming A Profitable Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by SmartNYSC: 11:48pm On Feb 27
Hello Nairalanders. I've always fancied the idea of gardening, but laziness and lack of space in rented apartments have hindered me.

Recently, I've been considering sack or bucket farming and found through Google search that it's a possibility. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a guide that helps with implementation.

I'm appealing to experienced Nairalanders to kindly share a "Do It Yourself" sack farming guide to help educate Nigerians about the possibility of food production.

My interest lies only in subsistence farming for crops like tomatoes, peppers, ugwu, and bitter leaf. Helpful video links or related articles would also be appreciated.🙏

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 6:31am On Feb 28
I don't understand what you meant by DIY.
Is it that you don't know how to pack sand inside sack or what exactly do you find difficult to do there.
I also practice sack farming. My yams, potatoes, pepper are planted in sacks.

Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by SmartNYSC: 1:07pm On Feb 28
RainMoreDFARMS:
I don't understand what you meant by DIY.
Is it that you don't know how to pack sand inside sack or what exactly do you find difficult to do there.
I also practice sack farming. My yams, potatoes, pepper are planted in sacks.
Nice pictures. Sorry, I said DIY because I saw online that holes should be made in the sack before filling with soil.

Another website even said a holes should be made in the sack to help for water drain. These has left me confused.
Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 1:25pm On Feb 28
SmartNYSC:
Nice pictures. Sorry, I said DIY because I saw online that holes should be made in the sack before filling with soil.

Another website even said a holes should be made in the sack to help for water drain. These has left me confused.
Of courses you have to make hole at the bottom of the sacks, to enable water drain out. Otherwise, it will cause root rot for the plants.
Sack farming is not water consuming and easy weed mamagement
Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by SmartNYSC: 7:14pm On Feb 28
RainMoreDFARMS:
Of courses you have to make hole at the bottom of the sacks, to enable water drain out. Otherwise, it will cause root rot for the plants.
Sack farming is not water consuming and easy weed managementl
Alright thanks. Holes in bottom and not the sides, right?
Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by RainMoreDFARMS(f): 7:27pm On Feb 28
SmartNYSC:
Alright thanks. Holes in bottom and not the sides, right?
The bottom is preferable
Re: Is Sack Farming a Possibility for Nigerians? by SmartNYSC: 7:12am On Feb 29
RainMoreDFARMS:
The bottom is preferable
Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Fingerlings Juvenile Brooderstock Available / Wondering What 2990 Can Do? / Fish Farming Trainer Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.