Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Amina's POV: A Very Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Amina's POV: A Very Short Story (148 Views)

Amina Mama Celebrates Her 62nd Birthday Today / For The Sins Of My Parents (very Short Story) / In Our Prime. A Very Short Medical Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Amina's POV: A Very Short Story by Jaycobbs(m): 10:46am On Feb 29
A strange sight: A Nikon camera and a wheelchair; an ageing senior and a vibrant young woman. But none of that crosses my mind as I wheel my mother up the ramp into the hospital's premises.

I was mama's last-born, the 'mistake' who came when she was approaching middle age. My older siblings are too busy to care, but I'll never leave mama alone; just as I would never leave behind my camera.

It seems a lifetime ago I wrote my final papers and stepped into the world, full of hope and hungry for opportunities. But life had other plans – mama fell sick, and I had to put it all on hold. I know my circumstances are less than ideal, but my camera is that lifeline that keeps me from drowning in depression.

I pause by the nurses’ station to inquire about whether the doctor’s in.

“Hey, darling, you’re blocking the bin,” I hear a voice say behind me. This is followed closely by: “Are you okay?”

I sigh and mutter, but I move out of the way. “Yes, I’m fine.”

A few seconds tick by. “I can’t help but notice you have a Nikon hanging from your neck.”

Irritated, I turn around to give the intruder a piece of my mind, but I stop dead in my tracks.

“Isabel Williams??”

A smile breaks across her face. “Wow. I never thought anyone would recognize me here.”

“B-but, h-how… what is—?” The words are coming out of my mouth faster than I can think of them.

“Ssh.” She places a scented Daffodil Dream finger on my lips, stemming the words. Reading the desire in my eyes, she pulls out a pen and signs my camera with a flourish. To my surprise, she tilts up my face to look into her eyes. “Chin up, girl. I know you’ll pull through this.” She whips out a business card, “But if you need me, you can always find me here. You be good now.”

Then she floats out through the doors like the mist on a cold harmattan morning.

https://twitter.com/_johnalabi/status/1763131505193197972?t=hWNN9M1wjbMnBYl2qtlY1w&s=19

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New Novel On Webnovel / Brother Ken / How To Properly Start A BOOK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.