Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,990 members, 7,810,764 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left (27365 Views)

Adjusting From Right Hand Drive To LHD / 2014 TOYOTA Camry***45k Actual Mileage Only***time Left:3days 0hours 10mins** / 2010 LEXUS RX 350***Time Left:3days 0hours 10mins** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by politicoNG: 9:15am On Mar 05
Did you know that before 1972, Nigerian driver seats were on the right side of the vehicle?

However, in April 1972, under the leadership of Major-General Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria made a dramatic shift in its transportation system, moving from right-hand to left-hand driving.

Factors Influencing Change:

1. Increased International Trade
As Nigeria's trade with surrounding countries, especially former French colonies, grew, right-hand driving proved troublesome. Drivers from these countries, who are accustomed to driving on the left, struggled to navigate Nigerian roadways. Switching to a left-hand drive enabled more efficient cross-border mobility and trade.

2. Globalisation
Left-hand driving is more common, accounting for around one-sixth of the world's surface and affecting a quarter of its road networks. Furthermore, many major car manufacturers operate in countries with left-hand drives, which may have an impact on vehicle supply in Nigeria.

3. Alignment with Regional Trends
Several West African nations had previously adopted the left-hand drive, and Nigeria's move was consistent with this regional trend, perhaps leading to deeper regional integration.

Challenges of transition
Converting the whole fleet of vehicles, including buses, taxis, and personal automobiles, was an expensive endeavour. This financial burden landed disproportionately on regular residents, raising questions about affordability. The changeover also influenced the domestic auto industry, which was previously designed to produce right-hand-drive automobiles.

To address these difficulties, the government implemented the following measures:

Providing incentives for local manufacturers to switch to left-hand-drive vehicles.

Allowing for a transition time during which right-hand-drive automobiles might continue to be legally driven on roads.

30% of countries in the world, mostly in Europe, drive on the left (influenced mainly by historical factors) and 70% drive on the right (influenced by Napoleon, the US, and the practicality of waggons).

Ultimately, Nigeria's transition to left-hand drive in 1972 was a momentous and challenging decision. Despite the limitations, it attempted to promote efficiency, safety, and regional connectivity.

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/why-nigeria-switched-the-drivers-seat-from-right-to-left/vckvmqj#:~:text=As%20Nigeria's%20trade%20with%20surrounding,struggled%20to%20navigate%20Nigerian%20roadways.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by immortalcrown(m): 9:16am On Mar 05
I think right-hand drive makes drivers more focused on the road and vehicles when driving. I think so because it is more tasking since majority of people on earth are right-handed. In this case, people will try to focus on the driving because of the inconvenience (difficulty) of using the left hand for gear lever, stereo and other things.

I find left-hand drive easier because the right hand is used for gear lever, stereo operation and so on. Consequently, drivers in this category tend to drive with less attention because of the convenience.

Please, this is just an assumption for now. I may later do research on the rates of road accidents in countries that use right-hand drive and in countries that use left-hand drive.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by MajorOvakporaye(f): 9:32am On Mar 05
How does this bring solution to the numerous problems cause by Tilumbu the fake accountant?

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Edoreborn: 9:32am On Mar 05
Q
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by nony43(m): 9:33am On Mar 05
9ja left hand is the best abeg .UK right hand will be doing you one kind, they way they turn on their round about is opposite of ours . Even to learn their driving na another headache, I spend about 70k naira per hour to learn their driving, and I have been driving for 11 years before I left 9ja but UK cars and roads will still jonze you, their R for reverse on manual cars are different theirs goes up. But truth be told we no de drive for 9ja šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ we are just moving the car.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by AllahOfBlood: 9:33am On Mar 05
cheesy

Wonderful

Even the old dead walking man couldn't remember this, he only remember how he fought war, kill and mame lives in the Eastern Region

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by wunmi590(m): 9:33am On Mar 05

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by DJMix2025: 9:33am On Mar 05
True true if you did not read that epistle here lemme explain to yo.

Nigeria switched the driver's seat from right to left in 1972 to align with the majority of countries that drive on the left side of the road. This change was made to conform to the international standard, which is left-hand traffic. The specific date for this change was April 2, 1972. The decision to switch from right-hand drive to left-hand drive was made by the government, as they felt that it was necessary to align with the global norms. And pls visit my small blog itā€™s all about dj mix of all genre of music www Naijadjmixtape com

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by taiwotimitt: 9:34am On Mar 05
hmmmmm................Interesting topic............
but have you thought about registering you Business with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC)?
it's very cheap and simple

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Chuknovski(m): 9:34am On Mar 05
I wish to test drive a righty, I have heard so much stories from friends in the UK
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by CCIA: 9:35am On Mar 05
grin
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by CountinBlessins(m): 9:35am On Mar 05
WHO ASKED ?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Lanre1st(m): 9:35am On Mar 05
Nigeria is copy copy

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by dayleke: 9:36am On Mar 05
Sope o ti di lefty... grin
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Marvieduke(f): 9:36am On Mar 05
Whether left or right I will still drive it...

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by ceragon123: 9:36am On Mar 05
Fake accountant indeed!

MajorOvakporaye:
How does this bring solution to the numerous problems cause by Tilumbu the fake accountant?

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Goodlady(f): 9:36am On Mar 05
Na that part we no please Britain.
Cos Na France suppose colonize us. Look at our allies, na French colony surround us, Cameroon to the east, Benin Republic and Togo to the west and Niger and Chad to the north.

Meanwhile, I no know who worst pass btw Britain and France cos all their colonies especially in sub saharan Africa are suffering sufferers!
We are the suffering specimen of the world!
I saw a video of wan tiringbeku whiteman saying Africa must continue to be impoverished cos na we get raw materials needed in Europe for their advancement . How true is this?
Does anyone have the link or source?

8 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Deogratiasfx: 9:36am On Mar 05
MajorOvakporaye:

Someone who built Lagos?
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by IboHausaYoruba: 9:37am On Mar 05
Hmmn! So UK, South Africa, Kenya, Botswana, Zimbabwe and other eastern and southern African countries that still maintain left side of the road are less bouyant than Nigeria? That's why Nigeria's driving licence isnt recognised abroad. Really been long we've been making inappropriate decisions that seemingly has led us more backwards.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:37am On Mar 05
[quote author=politicoNG post=128782100]

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/why-nigeria-switched-the-drivers-seat-from-right-to-left/vckvmqj#:~:text=As%20Nigeria's%20trade%20with%20surrounding,struggled%20to%20navigate%20Nigerian%20roadways.[/quot]

Nigeria's major problem illiteracy of the Citizens this is the number one problem which we are facing with a Nigerian people all over the world

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by bigdammyj: 9:37am On Mar 05
Noted.
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by JayPeeOham: 9:38am On Mar 05
In summary, Nigeria don dey do copycat since time immemorial!! shocked

The only reason I see here is so that drivers can greet each other and shake hands easily while driving..Lol tongue grin
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by hotwax: 9:38am On Mar 05
The first time I went to South Africa, I hired a car at the airport. I had paid and received the car key when I realized itā€™s a right handed car.

I summoned courage started the car, I struggled to use my left hand to position the gear for 15minutesā€¦to compound the issue is the transmission of the carā€¦.itā€™s godamned manual car.
The last time I drove a manual car was in my secondary school daysā€¦and that was my mums peogeut 504.

I was in one position for 30minā€¦then their rep came to check on me ā€œany problem?ā€ I said Iā€™m cool Iā€™m just setting my map app.

I finally fired the car, the car jumped forward, from their I entered the road like an erratic drunk driverā€¦zooming, jerking and slowing..

Sweating inside the AC.

Then I faced the major road, their roads are tailored for right driving, I first faced one way..thank God I didnā€™t cause accident.

I quickly calculated that I had to be on the right.

At the end shaā€¦I saw a ticket of 250rands on the cars screen wiper asking me to pay in 48hours..

I nearly hated South Africa because of that

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by BodyCount: 9:39am On Mar 05

Four years in UK, I never enjoyed right-hand driving. It's just very boring and it took a while before I got used to it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by oluwaseyi0: 9:39am On Mar 05
H
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by jeromestarks: 9:40am On Mar 05
I'm here till tell you.to marry a young virgin woman if you want peace and lasting happiness in you home.

If you marry a woman who has been fvvcked and mounted by many men, you will train another man's children thinking they're yours because she will definitely go back and fvvck her - Okafor's law is real bro.

Finally, fvck any girl you want but when it comes to marriage, find a virgin woman. Only her can guarantee you a peaceful lasting and happy home.

Avoid my advice and you will be on front page of many newspapers for badnews.

I repeat, MARRY ONLY A WOMAN WHI HAS KEPT HERSELF - a virgin!

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Godada(m): 9:41am On Mar 05
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by VaginaAcademic: 9:41am On Mar 05
Nigeria dey copy america cry
Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by waice6571: 9:42am On Mar 05
With the transition and all of that, Nigeria refused to grow in everything. We remain a dwarf giant despite being in possession of everything that can make a country great.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Switched The Driver's Seat From Right To Left by Talkisneeded: 9:43am On Mar 05
A worthy thread..

I Sell herbs tho

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Your Free Carfax Reports Here 10 Will Be Processed / Various Types Of CAR Android Screens For Sale / Super Clean Golf 4 For Sale( Cheap Price) Toks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.