Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,382 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group (135 Views)

Help!!!! Am I Losing My Sight?? / I Am AS And I Am Getting Married To AS / Help! Am I HIV Positive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group by excondido(m): 1:43pm On Mar 08
Early January this year, I discovered am sensitive to gluten, a protein molecule found in wheat, barley and rye after observing painful and chronic itching on my groin area that manifest as dermatitis herpitiformis rashes that appears like eczema.
Presently I react to all grains including rice and corn even as minute as a crumb. I noticed most pharmaceutical and home care products contains rice, wheat or corn (gluten) such as multivitamin, toothpaste and drugs leaving me helpless as I struggle with bloating, chronic diarrhoea and fatigue. I will want to have a care group where we can learn from each other to overcome this nauseating condition.
Mods please help push to the front page for traction.
Re: Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group by excondido(m): 2:45pm On Mar 08
I became lactose intolerant sometimes around 2014, with plenty of symptoms until I found out my constant diarrhoea was my inability to produce lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Though challenging, I was able to take dairy products out of my diet since then and I have been fairing pretty ok. Though I loose body weight from time to time due to my sensitive intestine. My handy medicine for quick relieve from bloating, diarrhoea etc are amoxyl, doxycycline and omeprazole.
Over the years I stopped taking alcohol and any herbal medicine due to the sensitivity of my gastrointestinal system.
Re: Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group by excondido(m): 2:59pm On Mar 08
Gluten sensitivity or intolerant resembles celiac disease and wheat allergies in symptoms, though while celiac is common in North America and Europe it is rarely diagnosed in developing countries because it is a genetic disease that makes the body attack cells of the small intestine (autoimmune disease). Celiac disease is well documented in advance climes and a section of grocery stores are always furnished with gluten free diet making the disease much more easier to manage than countries in Africa.
Gluten sensitivity is more in the purview of functional medicine where medical practitioner take the body as a whole and try to treat the underlying issues. It will surprise you to visit a doctor in Nigeria who will think you are making up your symptoms and observations just to dismiss you because of lack of knowledge of the disease even in advance countries. Because of the lack of permanent treatment for gluten sensitivity and the thin line between adherence to gluten free diet it is a big challenge among sufferers.
Re: Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group by Taal17: 1:50am On Mar 09
You mightt need to consider growing your own food....or find organic food market in Lagos. Opefarms are on Instagram. Strictly organic.

And learning how to cook that way you can control cross contamination. Limit eating out.
Diversify your carbs to help your diet.

No processed foods
But try
Irish potatoes
Green plantains or simply boli with oji or fish
Sweet potato boiled or as flour
Cassava boiled or as flour
You can bake with sweet potato flour.
Other things such as banana bread or Sweet potato bread can be cake for you.

Lots of veggies too. Garden eggs, egg plant.
Try beans in different ways. Beans and sweet potato. Also quinoa is good then chickpeas. Find them in Indian shops it's last long and swells up quickly.

Are you sensitive to corn as well?

I have mild gluten sensitivity so I've tried these above and it's helped a lot.

Although I occasionally eat bread it's like once every 3months if there is no other option.
Millet too is good you might need to Chek for crosscontamination with wheat.
I drink a lot more warm water a
I find the commercial wheat has the biggest issue.
Especially because they use fast rising yeast.

I can tolerate wholemeal wheat better. If I toast whole-wheat it's even better.

But I gave up semo altogether.
I still eat pasta but I rinse put the starch like twice before I eat it.
I take beans just once every two months cos it causes gastrointestinal issues.

Other things to add to diet.

I also introduced foods with pre and probiotics.
I no longer take omeprazole.
I drink water with slices of ginger in it. Fresh please. Also chewing ginger raw has helped with gastrointestinal inflammation

The Japanese have this thing called Kimchi. Fantastic for the gut.
Kambucha is also good.

Finally sugar is inflammatory too.

2 Likes

Re: Help: Am Gluten Intolerant And I Need An Active Care Group by Taal17: 1:57am On Mar 09
excondido:
I became lactose intolerant sometimes around 2014, with plenty of symptoms until I found out my constant diarrhoea was my inability to produce lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. Though challenging, I was able to take dairy products out of my diet since then and I have been fairing pretty ok. Though I loose body weight from time to time due to my sensitive intestine. My handy medicine for quick relieve from bloating, diarrhoea etc are amoxyl, doxycycline and omeprazole.
Over the years I stopped taking alcohol and any herbal medicine due to the sensitivity of my gastrointestinal system.

Even soda drinks too need to be stopped. I find warm or room temperature water before you sleep and first thing on the morning is helpful habit

I dont do milk too, almond milk is fair but I'm not regular with milk. My gut likes it that way.
Okro for some reason is very calm on the gut

(1) (Reply)

Managing Skin Conditions Related To Hormonal Imbalance / Lona Gives Healthy Tips On Best Positions For B!g S!ze W0m€n / Rehab For Colorado/weed/ Meth addiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.