Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,147 members, 7,811,238 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada (28551 Views)

Court Orders Final Forfeiture Of Invictus Obi Okeke’s N235 Million / Court Orders Final Forfeiture Of Hotel, Houses Belonging To Civil Servant (pics) / Rivers: EFCC Secures Forfeiture Of 244 Vehicles In Port Harcourt [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Jogs1900: 6:50pm On Mar 11
Justice Deinde Dipeolu of the Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the final forfeiture of 36 cars ‘allegedly stolen’ from Canada and brought to Nigeria.

The judge made the final forfeiture order after granting an application filed and argued by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s counsel A. B. Abdul-Rasheed.

The EFCC said the vehicles were recovered from various auto shops in Lagos, such as Lekki-Ajah; Ojodu-Berger; Ikeja; Festac Town; Magodo and Ikota-Lekki.

It said they were recovered following intelligence by Royal Canadian Mounted Police that over 350 cars stolen from Canada were shipped into Nigeria and were on display for sale at different auto shops.

The respondents in the suit marked FHC/L/CS/2051/2023 were Wilmon Autos Nigeria Limited; Ikeoyi Enterprises; Ichie Autos; Bounce Autos; Assured Motors Emeko Auto; CNC Auto; Green Hill Auto; First Core Auto; Samuel Motors; Unique Motors; Nice and Rich Auto; Overall Properties; GIDI Auto and Chris Jane Auto Nigeria Limited.

Some of the forfeited stolen vehicles are a 2017 Model Toyota Rav 4; 2019 Toyota Tacoma 2019; 2019 Lexus RX 350; Lexus RX350; 2019 Model 5 FORD FI50; 2018 Model Honda CRV; 2020 Toyota Tacoma; a Land Rover and a 2020 Lexus RX 350.

Others include a 2016 Toyota 4Runner; a Range Rover; Lexus 460; Ford F150 2018 Model; 2019 Lexus RX 350; 2020 Lexus RX 350; 2021 Lexus RX 350 Sport; Honda Civic Touring; Honda Pilot Suv; 2020 Range Rover Suv; Toyota 4Runner SUV; ToyotaHighlander, and 2018 Toyota Tacoma, amon others.

The court had on November 29, 2023, made an order for the interim forfeiture of the cars, after listening to the EFCC lawyer, who moved the application the same.

While granting the order, the court ordered the EFCC to advertise the orders in a national newspaper for any interested persons or parties to appear before the court to show cause why the cars should not be finally forfeited.

The EFCC counsel informed the court that the forfeiture order had been advertised but no one had come forward to lay claim to the seized vehicles.

Justice Dipeolu after listening to the EFCC lawyer and perusing through the processes, acceded to the request of the anti-graft agency and ordered final forfeiture of the 36 cars.

An EFCC investigator, Olufemi Olukini, in an affidavit filed in support of the suit said “Sometime in April 2022, during an official meeting held at 7A Okoti-Eboh Street, Ikoyi Lagos between officials of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and EFCC officials, RCMP officials passed credible intelligence to the Commission which alleged that over 350 vehicles which werecomprehensively listed out on an excel sheet with their respective vehicle identification Number were stolen from Canada and shipped to Nigeria.

“These vehicles have been sold and/or are being sold on an online website www.jiji.com by some online vendors/agents while others are displayed for sale at various car stands across the country.

“Investigation carried out revealed that a substantial number of the motor vehicles described aforesaid were stolen from Canada and shipped to Nigeria between the years 2019-2021.
https://punchng.com/court-orders-forfeiture-of-36-cars-stolen-from-canada/

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by immortalcrown(m): 6:50pm On Mar 11
Nice! Just imagine the level of security intelligence in Canada. Nigerian police hardly tracks or traces what has moved from one street to another. But I don't put the whole blame on the Nigerian police. Nigeria lacks reliable security systems.

On the other hand, what exactly is the Nigerian custom doing at wharfs and border? It took Canadian police to inform Nigeria that stolen cars are in Nigeria. Chei! Custom officers are numerous along Lagos-Ibadan express way, extorting money from road users. I also think Canadian ports are porous. How were the smugglers able to move the cars out of Canada? 🤔

There is no difference between many Nigerian auto dealers and yahoo boys.

Some years ago, I heard a story from a guy who worked with a road construction company in the eastern part of Nigeria. He said a white man working with them saw a Toyota car and said the car was stolen from him in his home country. The workers at the site doubted him and said it was impossible for him to recognise the car when the car is already being used in Nigeria. He said he would prove it. He directed the police officers guarding him to stop the car which was going slowly because of the ongoing construction work on the road. The car stopped and he told the driver not to panic. He asked the driver if he has a gun in the car, the driver said no. He then said that he hid a pistol in the car and that no one else can find it in the car. The driver said there was no gun in the car. The white man told the driver to alight from the car and the driver obeyed. The white man entered the car, spent a few minutes in the car and came out with a pistol. He took the pistol and allowed the driver to go with the car. He said he didn't want to make a case out of it because he had already lost hope of finding the car. He also said he believed the driver was not the criminal that stole the car from him.

80 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by richeeyo(m): 6:55pm On Mar 11
Even Aljeezera made a clip about this
The dealers still display the cars here in Nigeria with the plate

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Golan007: 7:04pm On Mar 11
The Canadian parliament discussed the theft of cars which find their way to Nigeria.

Naija, which way?

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by budaatum: 7:06pm On Mar 11
This is bound to shake up the car market, as we must now check if the car we are buying was stolen in Canada or anywhere else in the world.

https://abc7ny.com/stolen-cars-tri-state-port-of-newark-west-africa/13589119/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by BigDawsNet: 7:13pm On Mar 11
I wish they can return them back to the country of origin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Fujiyama: 7:15pm On Mar 11
undecided
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by chopnaira: 7:15pm On Mar 11
Lol. To those wondering how they find those cars, there are many Gis systems in cars these days and some just hide air tags in those cars.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by primeache: 7:18pm On Mar 11
Hope they wouldn't send it in as parts next time

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by 2shure: 7:19pm On Mar 11
Most of the cars on nairaland are all stolen from abroad. I used to say this,but the fools will ban my account for speaking the truth. Nigeria is a cursed country for life.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Judolisco(m): 7:19pm On Mar 11
Why not return it back to d country it was stolen from? Make I come dey drive stolen vehicle?

4 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by bewla(m): 7:19pm On Mar 11
Nice one
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by DropsMic(m): 7:20pm On Mar 11
Hmmm
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Dyfynezz12(m): 7:20pm On Mar 11
Hmmm naija! Is there anything too hard 4 us?
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by wunmi590(m): 7:21pm On Mar 11

Almost 30% of people selling car are proceed of stolen money that was used to buy stolen car and send to Nigeria for resale...

Now you see a 20years old boy having almost 3car stand at different location telling you he sells car...

God will help us

32 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by AngelicBeing: 7:22pm On Mar 11
sad
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:22pm On Mar 11
Nigerians. SMH
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by amstamon: 7:22pm On Mar 11
We miss cosplay
If you know you know.
Click the like button if you know grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Saturnalia(m): 7:22pm On Mar 11
Haba! Importer and Exporter in the mud.

Do we not know before that the majority of Car Dealers in Nigeria are thieves hiding under the umbrella of “Importer & Exporter”?

The other day, a thread highlighting the current prices of cars made the front page of Nairaland and I was bewildered at the exorbitant & ridiculous price tags on these vehicles - which mostly are SALVAGED & FLOODED vehicles that are not worth “one third” of the nonsense price tags displayed on them.

Some imbeciles quoted my comment, attempting to justify those price tags due to the current USD rates - and I simply ignored them as usual.

The issue is, Nigerians are very greedy & self-centered lots who CAN NEVER EVER BE TRUSTED in anything.

My humble advice to the few morally upright & conscientious people that are left in this Country is this:

Whenever you see anybody anywhere blabbing about how wealthy & successful and commerce-driven they are, my brother, just know at the back of your mind that - ALL OF THEM, I repeat, ALL OF THEM are Cocaine Traffickers, Human Traffickers, Kidnappers, Ritualists and of course Automobile Thieves who will steal vehicles abroad and be selling them at exorbitant prices ALL IN THE NAME OF DOLLAR IS EXPENSIVE.

Agba Ofifo Lo Ma Ndun Gbagaun Gbagaun.

Empty Barrels Make The Loudest Noise.

You will never see the likes of Femi Otedola, Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga & Abdulsamad Rabiu huffing & puffing about their wealth or success.

It is always the empty criminally-minded vessels that will be shouting “I AM A TRILLIONAIRE” “I WILL FEED YOUR GENERATIONS”.

Less I forget, I saw this thread below some days ago with the title: “KING OF BILLIONAIRES” ; and a silent voice whispered to me: “By Their Fruits, You Shall Know Them”.

https://www.nairaland.com/8022894/darlington-nwabunike-meet-king-billionaires

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by MICHEALADEX(m): 7:23pm On Mar 11
Developers...that's where they get the money to develop Lagos

Awon gbajue supporters

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Felabrity: 7:24pm On Mar 11
Forfeit or share the cars among themselves?
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by ednut1(m): 7:27pm On Mar 11
Good, these frequent thefts impact our car insurance cost here. I dey pay over 300 CAD a month for car insurance 😭

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by menzino(m): 7:27pm On Mar 11
Nice job by the Canadian Security. Now what is our own intelligence whatever doing about our stolen crude?? Where are they being taken to?? Aljazeera no go run the documentary??

6 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by inoki247: 7:27pm On Mar 11
Lol after displaying to ur Village people say u sef don buy car mak u come discover say ur car dey part of the stolen car.....

Naso most people iPhone be na stolen iPhone dem dey use until village people will answer dere Japa prayer....

Buh on a lighter note this people Port too are porous na hyping dem jus dey use hide dere own how 300 plus car take leave una country without verification wen no be Paper...

That's why I look at people always shouting saner Clime our corruption are jus noise if u enter this people system you will discover they're worst na Media dem dey use hide am ..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:28pm On Mar 11
forfeiture order had been advertised but no one had come forward to lay claim to the seized vehicles.

Only a person tormented by village pipu will come forward even if he has already paid in advance for it

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by treatise: 7:29pm On Mar 11
Golan007:
The Canadian parliament discussed the theft of cars which find their way to Nigeria.

Naija, which way?
Dem nor get security personnel at their borders?

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by aieromon(m): 7:30pm On Mar 11
Kudos to the EFCC for supporting Canadian Police to retrieve these vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gshyozP-GY8?si=-BfFNOqqJqC_FcR7
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Lexusgs430: 7:30pm On Mar 11
So we still have a proper judicial system........ 🤣😂
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by Fakeallah: 7:30pm On Mar 11
Yarimo check ya papa registration papers o

5 Likes

Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by AfroBeatDiary: 7:31pm On Mar 11
Omo
Re: Court Orders Forfeiture Of 36 Cars Stolen From Canada by shortgun(m): 7:31pm On Mar 11
Nonsense!
What's the duty of the Canadian police and customs?
One will expect that a stolen vehicle will not be processed for export in Canada with a click a button.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Driver Shot Dead In Katsina By Customs Officer For Smuggling Contraband Spagheti / Imo Police Uncover JESUS LIFE ASSEMBLY Used As Baby Factory, Arrest Pastor / Nigerian Gangs Make Millions From Phones Stolen In UK - SunUK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.