Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,227 members, 7,811,627 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali (15565 Views)

Today Is Finidi George's 50th Birthday. / See What Finidi George Looks Like Now (Photos) / Aka Udofia Offers $20,000 Per Goal Scored By Eagles Against Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by robosky02(m): 8:35pm On Mar 13
Finidi George is set to take charge of Nigeria's games against Ghana and Mali

The Super Eagles will have a new manager in the dugout when they take on the Black Stars of Ghana and the Eagles of Mali later this month.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria are set to go into their clash against the Black Stars of Ghana and The Eagles of Mali with former Ajax star Finidi George as their coach.

Nigeria will take on their two West African rivals in a highly-anticipated friendly match, with the game against Ghana taking place on March 22 before they face Mali four days later, both in Morocco.

The three-time African champions, however, are currently without a coach ahead of the two clashes after former manager Jose Peseiro left the role after leading the team to a second-place finish at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

Nonetheless, the Super Eagles will have a man in the dugout for the two matches, with Finidi expected to lead the team out for games.

As per multiple reports, the former Ajax star will manage the team for the two friendly matches as the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) intensifies its efforts to find a permanent replacement for Peseiro.

Finidi George might take charge of the Super Eagles' friendly games this month against Ghana and Mali in Morocco.

Sources confirmed Finidi and Enyimba GK, Ojo Olorunleke will depart to Morocco after their NPFL midweek game against Remo Stars in Ikenne.

It was rumoured that NFF technical director Austin Eguavoen would take charge of the team, but that report has been shut down.

Finidi is no stranger to the team as he was one of Peseiro’s assistants at the 2023 AFCON in Ivory Coast.

The ex-Real Betis man could still land the job permanently, though, as he is one of the leading candidates who applied for the job.

Banned Siasia, disgraced Salisu, Oliseh head list of potential candidates for Super Eagles job
The NFF has received multiple applications for the vacant Super Eagles managerial role, with Finidi, Emmanuel Amunike, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia among the former internationals who applied for the job.

It remains to be seen who would land the coveted job, but Pulse Sports already reported that it is between Amunike and former Cameroon coach Antonio Conceicao

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/story/report-super-eagles-get-new-coach-for-ghana-and-mali-clash-2024031314552877378

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by atiku4President(m): 8:39pm On Mar 13
Better.

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by robosky02(m): 8:49pm On Mar 13
Am not impress with this move
Why give finidi George an edge over the others who also applied

Do the interview ... and appoint the new coach now

If Finidi George leads then and they win this NFF will just appoint him but is he the best?

I think he will be good sometimes in the future but for now he is not ripe for super Eagles

With all standard Emmanuel Amunike is ahead of him for now.

At best appoint Amunike and let Finidi George assist

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by EreluRoz: 8:51pm On Mar 13
Potbelly on a footballer? undecided

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Noniblaq(m): 6:46am On Mar 14
Wetin Jay Jay Okocha Dey do na. He should go into coaching soon, abi na bet king be the calling ? If you own a boutique in Nigeria see my thread for an amazing offer.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by BrAkingNews: 6:47am On Mar 14
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by DSC7: 6:48am On Mar 14
I pray he succeeds 🙏.....

Up Super Eagles🔥

6 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by AntiChristian: 6:48am On Mar 14
angry
Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Caramia2020(m): 6:51am On Mar 14
I pray he excel n I hope they won't owe him o, because NFF don't respect indigenous coach.

4 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by GanagiBitrus: 6:52am On Mar 14
What are they waiting for to appoint a substantive coach.
Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Kenneth4u205(m): 6:52am On Mar 14
Wrong move . TINUBU will make a better couch than him
Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:55am On Mar 14
I will for ever respect Peseiro. In life you gat to know when to hold on and when to walk away. Which ever coach that comes after him, I wish the coach the best of luck. Luck is very, very, important in football.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by nothingspoil70: 6:56am On Mar 14
Nice move.
Good guy, cool headed unlike that Oliseh who was fighting the boys then.

6 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by mytime24(f): 6:56am On Mar 14
👍
Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Whalis: 7:00am On Mar 14
Give Finidi George the job permanently.

2 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by aribisala0(m): 7:01am On Mar 14
robosky02:

If Finidi George leads then and they win this NFF will just appoint him but is he the best?

I think he will be good sometimes in the future but for now he is not ripe for super Eagles

Finidi is the assistant coach now
Should they sack him?
Who should lead the team for the friendlies?

What is. "Best"
That is unknowable theory
A good coach is reality
Best coach is.theory and fantasy
We need to be clear what we want from the coach
Is it short term results or long term building.
For me any coach that will focus on players in Europe is bad for us
Iwobi for me is NOT a Naija player though I respect his patriotism. He is not made in Nigeria
We must build local players even if we don't win trophies for 10 years. So it depends on what we want collectively.

I don't know what standard you use to rate Amunike ahead of him. They are both credible

That may be true but it is just your subjective opinion not an undisputed fact.
Finally the issue is not Finidi or Amunike. It is good we have options that are Nigerian and I look forward to us developing our own coaches so we have up to 10 credible Nigerian coaches

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by IronGalaxy: 7:03am On Mar 14
one of my favourite players growing up

6 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by robosky02(m): 7:06am On Mar 14
aribisala0:

Finidi is the assistant coach now
Should they sack him?
Who should lead the team for the friendlies?

What is. "Best"
That is unknowable theory
A good coach is reality
Best coach is.theory and fantasy
We need to be clear what we want from the coach
Is it short term of long term

I don't know what standard you use to rate Amunike ahead of him.

That may be true but it is just your subjective opinion not an undisputed fact.

Amunike comes first in the pecking order

Amunike has better experience

Coach local team
Coach African teams
Groomed most of this boys....

So why delay him from taking over

5 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Ashirioluwa: 7:08am On Mar 14
robosky02:

You have a point, but remember your choice might not necessarily be the public choice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by aribisala0(m): 7:09am On Mar 14
robosky02:

Amunike g
I respect your opinion but I totally disagree
You are entitled to your opinion
There are several good coaches and there is no pecking order

7 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Papayaayasager(m): 7:10am On Mar 14
robosky02:

Continuity is key, for now Finidi George should be the best man to lead the SE to the friendly games because he has been with the SE as an assistant coach to Peseiro

OP, said Amunike and Antonio Conceicao are the top two considered for the job

I hate it when people don't read the topic very well before rushing to comment section

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by aribisala0(m): 7:25am On Mar 14
nothingspoil70:
Nice move.
I think Oliseh was too young then hopefully he has matured

Oliseh is one of the best players ever from Nigeria unfortunately we did not seen his tactical abilities but poor man management
Oliseh should try to coach a club of another team and maybe in future he cm still coach Super Eagles

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by seunlayi(m): 7:27am On Mar 14
Its good

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by sirray001: 7:28am On Mar 14
robosky02:

he was an assistant coach to pasero that left. Until a new coach is appointed, he will be in a position to foresee our matches

2 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by opes: 7:30am On Mar 14
robosky02:

You are only looking at it in one direction. What if he fails to win the friendlies? He will be at disadvantage to get the eagles job.

2 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by opes: 7:34am On Mar 14
robosky02:

Amunike has better experience

Coach local team
Coach African teams
Groomed most of this boys....

So why delay him from taking over

If a foreign coach has the same CV/record of Amuneke, will you clamour for him to lead the super eagles?

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by emmabest2000(m): 7:35am On Mar 14
nothingspoil70:
Nice move.

aribisala0:

I think Oliseh was too young then hopefully he has matured

Oliseh is one of the best players ever from Nigeria unfortunately we did not seen his tactical abilities but poor man management
Oliseh should try to coach a club of another team and maybe in future he cm still coach Super Eagles

Oliseh was , is and will always be a saddest and control freak
Even during his playing time ,
His last tournament with SE ended and while they players were coming home , he started discussing about retirement and even want to attach JAY JAY into his retirement plan , he was SE skipper then and JAY JAY was his assistant
After all his bla bla on the plane on how they both will retire when they reach home , JAY JAY only laughing out round with saying anything,
On reaching home Oliseh announced his retirement from SE , expecting JAY JAY to follow him too
But JAY JAY refused , It pained Oliseh to the bone
Las Las Skipper was handed to JAY JAY until he decided to retire few years later .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by iampeterben(m): 7:43am On Mar 14
Congratulations and kudos to him. God bless his team.

1 Like

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Kingrshd3: 7:45am On Mar 14
Ok
Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by Topman7: 7:48am On Mar 14
opes:

If a foreign coach has the same CV/record of Amuneke, will you clamour for him to lead the super eagles?

VERY WRONG QUESTION.

The white coaches you worship were given that first chance by their own countries, which made them to blow.

SO GIVE YOUR OWN TOP LOCAL COACHES THE SAME CHANCE TO BLOW.

Who else will give them the chance if YOU don't?

What did Jurgen Klinsmann achieve as a coach before he was made national team coach of Germany in 2004?

NOTHING.

It was his FIRST coaching job!

4 Likes

Re: Finidi George To Manage The Super Eagles Against Ghana And Mali by phemyokunrin: 7:49am On Mar 14
When Okocha was Enugu state FA chairman, he couldn't perform. So he is good at showbiz and betkung

(1) (2) (Reply)

Joseph Yobo Uncensored! I Can’t Be A Part-Time Eagles Player / Osimhen Confirmed Fit, In Training Today & Available For Selection Tomorrow / Bet9ja.com Registration : How To Create An Account With ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.