Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,525 members, 7,850,789 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:09 AM

Todays Baptism Method!? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Todays Baptism Method!? (684 Views)

How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / Are We Saved By Faith Or By Water Baptism? / Why Infant Baptism Should Stop! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Todays Baptism Method!? by plappville(f): 1:39pm On Nov 14, 2011
Only Christian only, i don't want responds from unbelievers or half believers, Thank u for understanding.

[b]Is it right when a Pastor tell a member who gave his/her life to God and willing to get baptise that, before i baptise u, u will have to answer some Question, they are paper question from the bible, just to test u. I was wondering if its same method by Jesus disciples or his own method.

(Matthew 3:13-15 KJV)
13Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

(Matthew 28:19 20) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Does it means, the disciples do spend many months to observe if the person wort to be baptise befor the baptise him/her like the Pastor above?
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by Image123(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2011
I don't subscribe to the trend of waiting months and years before believers get baptised, but seems that's the norm around here. On filling forms and questioning new converts, there's nothing wrong with that. It's for collation, administration and testing. This helps to weed out people who just raised hands on the spur of the moment, or that have not truly counted the cost of following Jesus.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by plappville(f): 10:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
Thank u, but doesnt it sound like if the Pastor is in doubt? Why should they not abide to the tradition of the bible as it was done, preach the word and baptise them? Anyway, so much change in todays church. Its hard when ones spirit is not in agreement with certain teaching/rules in a Church.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by mabell: 7:54am On Nov 15, 2011
Some churches take the new converts through some weeks of teachings
This is of utmost importance because the person in question should know what baptism is all about before venturing into it.
They are taken from the meaning of baptism to baptism proper
So that they can also educate people on the need for baptism and the proper way to be baptized
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by plappville(f): 8:30am On Nov 15, 2011
U are correct, they ve to teach them what the meaning and how important it is. But that can be done one day. I stil dont think John The Baptise went through examinating people before baptising them.
We understood that he was preaching the word and the people accepted and were baptised. We should follow the same tradition.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by ichuka(m): 9:06am On Nov 15, 2011
Paul wrote to the saints in Rome,"Or are you ignorant that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?we have been buried therefore with Him through baptism into His death,in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father,so also we might walk in newness of His Resurrection"(Rom.6:3-5).he was telling them,to be aware of who they are,and what they have recieved in Christ Jesus.that when Christ died on the Cross they(the saints)died in Him,when He Resurrected 3days later they Resurrected in Him,that the reality of baptism have already taken place in them.
Our physical respons by been baptized is merely an acceptance of His finish work in our lives.
Methods and protocols are irrelevant.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by plappville(f): 9:49am On Nov 15, 2011
Thank u very much, well explained. I think todays methods are self tradition.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by Image123(m): 1:11pm On Nov 15, 2011
plap, it's administration. There is the gift of administration. There's nothing wrong with questioning a believer about his faith. John baptist didn't just baptise everybody. He took note of who came and who didn't. He interacted with Jesus. When he saw vipers come to his baptism, he challenged them. He didn't say 'o this guys say they've repented, only God knows, who am i to stop the work of God'. That's not the work of God, that's why God has put men there as shepherds and pastors, allow them to do their work. The apostles also had their stats. They knew who was added to the church and when. How much more these laster days when even the imam says he's born again.
Re: Todays Baptism Method!? by plappville(f): 3:39pm On Nov 15, 2011
@Image123, i am not against it, i was just matching it with the way it was done in the bible.
Thats why I want to hear views, if it is done same way in all churches.
God has the best answer though, let his work continue to grow.

(1) (Reply)

Pakistan's Christian 'sex-slaves': A Case Study / Please Donate Some Tithes You 9JA Foolz! / Are We Really Serving The Same God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.