Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. (542 Views)

In Need Of A Contract/casual Job In Abuja / Let's Talk About Joining Confraternity Before Getting A Job / When Are We Going To Talk About These Lebanese And Chinese Companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 9:59am On Mar 19
When we talk about Nigeria youth, we discuss the Wizkid, the Anthony Joshua and so on but no one ever talk about the average factory worker; the one that produce the everyday item we use and consume.

I work in a company that first employ as a contract staff for about a year, earning around #1500 a day. You stay at home when there's no production without pay, this can last for months. Then you become a casual staff meaning you will start earning salary even when there's no production albeit not more than 80k Then you become a trainee staff for a year or 6 months then you become an actual staff earning over #200,000.

I will say that I work in a good establishment because in a space of two years or even less you can become an actual staff with the help of the strong workers union. But this is not the same for other companies around. In many of these companies I know people that have been working as contract or casual staffs for ten to fifteen years earning maybe 8k 15 years ago and 30k to 35k now. Nigerian own companies are the worse because you just don't become anything other than factory worker. Machine operator under Nigerian employers don't earn half what foreign own companies pay. Many of them pay #1000 a day and you will have 21 to 22 working days in a month.

I know people that have worked for 20 years under Nigerian employers that earn not more than 35k now after working for 2 decades.

Factory workers, I know many of us are busy working hard, producing what Nigerians consume while we earn very little. This is a thread for us to rant and discuss, maybe someone can see this post. Maybe someday soon the government can look into the Nigerian youth working conditions.

How much do you earn? Do you work 8-5 or 7-7. I know some people work 6-6.

How's factory work going for you?

Let's discuss.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 10:08am On Mar 19
If we have to. We'll mention company names.
I will love to call out some Nigerian own companies but I will wait for people to arrive...

Nigeria employers are very cruel and wicked. They don't even pay you enough to eat. It's just like giving someone enough food to help them stay alive. That's how they pay, you can't buy clothes or do anything meaningful with your life under Nigerian employers. I'm yet to see one that's different, that pay decently.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by shogosco: 9:04am On Mar 20
Good discussion, thanks for opening this thread I will like to input my contribution soon.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Robnectar(m): 1:56pm On Mar 20
Hmmm.., I work at a company that produces perfume and Vaseline as a casual work, here we have alot of casual workers that have been working for over 4/5/6/7yrs without being staff, and they have been earning peanuts all their life,.. this country is a shithole,... Our leaders are full of s#it, imagine working to earn 1500naira for over a year, no b slave work b dat undecided undecided

And these stupid factory companies will still short pay u, and deduct your days of work for no reason 🤢🤢🤢

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Besuccesful: 2:52pm On Mar 20
When you work for a company for 1 to 3yrs and you see no changes in your life, nothing stop you from leaving that company and move to another company.

I don't understand why you would stay with a company that pays you peanut and yet you are complaining everyday.

Honestly, I just don't understand this mentality.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 1:31pm On Apr 07
Robnectar:
Hmmm.., I work at a company that produces perfume and Vaseline as a casual work, here we have alot of casual workers that have been working for over 4/5/6/7yrs without being staff, and they have been earning peanuts all their life,.. this country is a shithole,... Our leaders are full of s#it, imagine working to earn 1500naira for over a year, no b slave work b dat undecided undecided

And these stupid factory companies will still short pay u, and deduct your days of work for no reason 🤢🤢🤢
People work for 13 years and more as casual in Nigeria breweries
Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Robnectar(m): 1:35pm On Apr 07
ObiORBiafra:

People work for 13 years and more as casual in Nigeria breweries

We have dem here also, dats really bad u know,.. I have a friend who works at breweries for over 7yrs as casual

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 1:36pm On Apr 07
Besuccesful:
When you work for a company for 1 to 3yrs and you see no changes in your life, nothing stop you from leaving that company and move to another company.

I don't understand why you would stay with a company that pays you peanut and yet you are complaining everyday.

Honestly, I just don't understand this mentality.
Lol. You don't determine anything in life as a Nigerian. You won't easily get employed in a company that pays well even with connections because the people already working in those companies are not going to quit and when something happens to them, like let's say they stole or broke a company rule and got sacked your connection to that company already have tens of people before you that need the job as you, some are even their relatives. You see? It's not that easy.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 1:37pm On Apr 07
shogosco:
Good discussion, thanks for opening this thread I will like to input my contribution soon.
You are yet to contribute sir
Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 1:42pm On Apr 07
Robnectar:

We have dem here also, dats really bad u know,.. I have a friend who works at breweries for over 7yrs as casual
Heard the story of a guy that died last year at Nigeria breweries at Sango. He was casual for 13 years until he got crushed by a robot while he's on duty. He died instantly, the company didn't want to commit much because he was just a casual worker. His family members had to block the company entrance, no going in or out. Don't know how the story ended for them. It's really unfair when you see a youth that's trying to work to better his life but got nothing to show for his hard work. He will see his mates that never worked changing clothes and shoes, looking nice always... Many youth rather stay at a junction to beg money than get a job because life is better for them that way than when they get employed. It's really not fair.
Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Robnectar(m): 2:10pm On Apr 07
ObiORBiafra:

Heard the story of a guy that died last year at Nigeria breweries at Sango. He was casual for 13 years until he got crushed by a robot while he's on duty. He died instantly, the company didn't want to commit much because he was just a casual worker. His family members had to block the company entrance, no going in or out. Don't know how the story ended for them. It's really unfair when you see a youth that's trying to work to better his life but got nothing to show for his hard work. He will see his mates that never worked changing clothes and shoes, looking nice always... Many youth rather stay at a junction to beg money than get a job because life is better for them that way than when they get employed. It's really not fair.
Last year September A friend also died on the day he resigned at a biscuit company, d guy just want to pass a night and go home after he resigned, before morning reach, sugar of 50kg like 1pallet fell on him,... Guy dis life no balance at all🤢🤢

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 7:49pm On Apr 07
Robnectar:

Last year September A friend also died on the day he resigned at a biscuit company, d guy just want to pass a night and go home after he resigned, before morning reach, sugar of 50kg like 1pallet fell on him,... Guy dis life no balance at all🤢🤢
Damn. That's mysterious. I'm curious why did he resigned?

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Robnectar(m): 8:01pm On Apr 07
ObiORBiafra:

Damn. That's mysterious. I'm curious why did he resigned?

Them change him where him dey work and him no like d place wey dem put am to work, and he decided to call it quits, dat Last decision of stay over dat night becox it was too late caused him his life,.. he just wanna sleep over till dah morning before going home

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by BItt: 10:00am On Apr 08
Robnectar:

Them change him where him dey work and him no like d place wey dem put am to work, and he decided to call it quits, dat Last decision of stay over dat night becox it was too late caused him his life,.. he just wanna sleep over till dah morning before going home

Once your heart leaves a place, don't spend a minute there. Our mind knows the future and it knows better

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Robnectar(m): 1:47pm On Apr 08
BItt:

Once your heart leaves a place, don't spend a minute there. Our mind knows the future and it knows better
hmmmm u are on point, my mind is always disturbed anytime i have such feelings, even i dnt want to leave,
Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by ObiORBiafra: 5:03pm On Apr 08
Robnectar:

Really sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by Dundalk(m): 7:34am On Apr 09
Very interesting topic
Re: Let's Talk About Contract/Casual Jobs. by IyaTola: 7:52pm On Apr 24
Run from anything casual

(1) (Reply)

Hausa Translators Needed Urgently / Get The Job! Free Entrepreneur Skill! / [b]looking For Marketers[/b]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.