Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

College Provost Drags Anambra Journalist To Police Over News Report - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / College Provost Drags Anambra Journalist To Police Over News Report (127 Views)

Iyana Ipaja: Okada Riders Clash With Police Over Ban In Lagos / Colleen Santos - Amalu Blasts Nigeria Police Over Husband's Arrest / Tanzanian Thief Surrenders To Police As Stolen Bag 'Refuses To Leave His Head' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

College Provost Drags Anambra Journalist To Police Over News Report by onyeedemede(f): 12:32pm On Mar 20
By Ikechukwu Obi

The Provost of the Millennium College of Nursing Science, Awka, Mrs. Chisom Ezulike has dragged an Anambra-based journalist, Izunna Okafor, to Zone 13 Police Headquarters, Ukpo over his news report on the Provost's ban on the use of Android phones by students of the school, among other allegations levelled against her in the school.

Journalist Okafor, who writes for 247ureports (an online newspaper) disclosed this in a petition addressed to the State Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists on Sunday, March 17, copies of which was also obtained by newsmen.

According to him in the petition titled “Petition Regarding Threats Over My News Report, and Invitation from Zone 13 Police Headquarters, Ukpo”, he recently published a news report on the headline “Anambra Higher Institution Allegedly Bars Students from Using Android Phones, Greeting Church Members” , detailing the restrictions allegedly imposed by the Provost of the College.

He said the report highlighted various allegations against the Provost, Mrs. Ezulike, including ban on the use of Android phones among the students (which she placed after a student allegedly stole another's phone), restrictions of the students from greeting church members on the suspicion that they ‘mingle’ with them, collection of cash sum N5000 each from students who submitted their phones late, among others allegations.

“In the spirit of fairness and in adherence to journalistic principles, after hearing these allegations, I reached out to the Provost prior to writing and publication of the news, to obtain her own perspective on the matter,” Okafor said.

Continuing, he said, “Her (the Provost's) comments were accurately reflected in the report, as I sought to provide a balanced narrative. And she even gave her nod when I reminded her that I would write and publish the news. However, it is evident that my efforts to maintain fairness have been met with hostility and threats.

“A day after I interviewed her, she made a U-turn in her approval of the publication, as she and her husband vehemently opposed the proposed publication of the report when they saw me, and explicitly threatened to “deal” with me should I proceed to publish the news.

“The husband, at a time, requested that I removed his wife's name in the report if at all I must publish it. Despite these threats, I stood firm in my commitment to unbiased and ethical journalism, as I only aimed to fulfill my duty as a watchdog of the society. So, I went ahead to publish the report, reflecting her own side and the side of those accusing her.”

Okafor said barely one week after he published the news, he received an invitation from the Zone 13 Police Headquarters, Ukpo, requesting his presence for an interview with the OIC Surveillance Team ‘B’.

“This invitation has raised concern's, given the context of the threats made against me by the Provost and her husband. It appears that they may be attempting to leverage on their connection to escalate the situation or fabricate allegations against me and truly “deal” with me as they vowed.

“While I understand that such threats and intimidations as these are parts of the inherent risks encountered in the field of journalism, I believe it is imperative to bring this matter to the attention of the Council. I seek your support and intervention in ensuring my safety and protection as I fulfill my duties as a journalist.

“Additionally, as I go to Zone 13, Ukpo on Tuesday, March 19, 2024, to respond to the police invitation, I humbly urge the Council to closely monitor the situation and take appropriate action to safeguard press freedom and journalistic integrity,” he said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: College Provost Drags Anambra Journalist To Police Over News Report by budaatum: 1:12pm On Mar 20
I wonder what the police would say her crime was, not that Nigerian Police need a crime to detain anyone since they can just be paid to.
Re: College Provost Drags Anambra Journalist To Police Over News Report by UnstableFC: 1:15pm On Mar 20
Nigeria is not real

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests Man For Issuing D£@th Thr£@t Against Its Chairman, Ola Olukoyede / Suspected Hoodlums Attack Customs Office In Kebbi / Gun Explosion Killed Three Children In Taraba – Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.