Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,110 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Does Beans Make People Tall - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Beans Make People Tall (18265 Views)

Can Beans Make Someone Sick? / Why Beans And Ripe Plantain Combination Is Called 'Delicious Poison' / 9 Health Benefits Of Beans You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Beans Make People Tall by Localemperor: 7:04pm On Mar 22
Is this a misconception or a myth? Why do people associate being tall to eating of beans.

4 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Martinsmine(m): 7:12pm On Mar 22
I feel it's true.. I shot wella be4 but now am taller....

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Localemperor: 7:21pm On Mar 22
Martinsmine:
I feel it's true.. I shot wella be4 but now am taller....
So it's beans that did the magic grin

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Iamicekid(m): 8:28pm On Mar 22
It only works when u are eating it when U are still growing and maturing but once u don reach 20 above Abeg forget am just eat am for your pleasure

133 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by baralatie(m): 8:28pm On Mar 22
I know that it is scientifically proven that too much can result to biochemical fart release

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Eunoiaa(f): 8:32pm On Mar 22
It's a belief I bought into for most of my childhood; now beans has become one of my favourite food. grin

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On Mar 22
Localemperor:
Is this a misconception or a myth? Why do people associate being tall to eating of beans.
It is a myth, but beans happen to be a primary source of well-needed protein in the average Nigerian diet so I think the lie was created to make people believe it is essential for their growth. undecided

... The following is from the USDA
https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Why-are-cooked-dried-beans-and-dried-peas-in-both-the-Protein-Foods-Group-and-the-Vegetable-Group
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
“Beans, peas, and lentils” is a new name for the vegetable subgroup formerly called “legumes (beans and peas).” Beans, peas, and lentils, which also are known as pulses, include the dried edible seeds of legumes. The foods in this vegetable subgroup have not changed. However, the new name of the subgroup more accurately reflects the category of foods included.

Beans, peas, and lentils are excellent sources of plant protein, and also provide other nutrients such as iron and zinc. Because they are similar to meats, poultry, and fish in their contribution of these nutrients, they are considered part of the protein foods group. Beans, peas, and lentils are also excellent sources of dietary fiber and nutrients such as folate and potassium. These nutrients, which are often low in the diet of many Americans, are also found in other vegetables. Therefore, beans, peas, and lentils are also considered part of the vegetable group. Individuals can count beans, peas, and lentils as either a vegetable or a protein food.

16 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by muyico(m): 8:51pm On Mar 22
Why i no come tall reach 7ft? Beans is my favorite food

20 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by FRANCISTOWN: 9:15pm On Mar 22
Kobojunkie:
It is a myth, but beans happen to be a primary source of well-needed protein in the average Nigerian diet so I think the lie was created to make people believe it is essential for their growth. undecided

Beans is not considered a source of well needed protein. Beans is even more of carbohydrate than rice.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Mar 22
FRANCISTOWN:
■Beans is not classified under protein. It's more of carbohydrate than rice.
it is but that small percentage of protein it has is what is valuable in the Nigerian diet which is mostly devoid of the stuff. undecided

... The following is from the USDA
https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Why-are-cooked-dried-beans-and-dried-peas-in-both-the-Protein-Foods-Group-and-the-Vegetable-Group
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
“Beans, peas, and lentils” is a new name for the vegetable subgroup formerly called “legumes (beans and peas).” Beans, peas, and lentils, which also are known as pulses, include the dried edible seeds of legumes. The foods in this vegetable subgroup have not changed. However, the new name of the subgroup more accurately reflects the category of foods included.

Beans, peas, and lentils are excellent sources of plant protein, and also provide other nutrients such as iron and zinc. Because they are similar to meats, poultry, and fish in their contribution of these nutrients, they are considered part of the protein foods group. Beans, peas, and lentils are also excellent sources of dietary fiber and nutrients such as folate and potassium. These nutrients, which are often low in the diet of many Americans, are also found in other vegetables. Therefore, beans, peas, and lentils are also considered part of the vegetable group. Individuals can count beans, peas, and lentils as either a vegetable or a protein food.

4 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Martinsmine(m): 9:24pm On Mar 22
Localemperor:
So it's beans that did the magic grin
I feel

3 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Martinsmine(m): 9:25pm On Mar 22
Eunoiaa:
It's a belief I bought into for most of my childhood; now beans has become one of my favourite food. grin
i wish other babes can be like u

2 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by FRANCISTOWN: 9:25pm On Mar 22
Kobojunkie:
Indeed it is but that small percentage of protein it has is what is valuable in the Nigerian diet which is mostly devoid of the stuff. undecided
My emphasis was on your choice of words.
You said "beans happen to be a primary source of well-needed protein". That statement is erroneous.

You are still very wrong Kobo. It is an academic embarrassment to clarify beans under protein.
If beans got more carbohydrates than rice, yet rice is considered classified under carbohydrate.

You saying beans is a "source of well-needed protein" is a huge blunder.

Trying to cover your mistakes always lead to more terrible mistakes. Next time, just admit the mistake in your choice in words.
Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Mar 22
FRANCISTOWN:
My emphasis was on your choice of words. You said "well-needed protein". Beans is not a source of a well-needed protein
It is well-needed given the average Nigerian diet lacks any other sufficient source of proteins. 6 grams of protein per serving of beans — the average Nigerian consumes more than several servings of the stuff by the way —is better than no grams of protein at all. lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Anunakeeh: 9:28pm On Mar 22
Localemperor:

True to some extent because i had the experience firsthand.

2 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by FRANCISTOWN: 9:33pm On Mar 22
Kobojunkie:
It is well-needed given the average Nigerian diet lacks any other sufficient source of proteins. 6 grams of protein per serving of protein is better than no grams of protein at all. lipsrsealed
You are still very wrong. There are several diets, I mean too many diets with more grams of protein than beans. As little as peanut has more than 4 times the grams of protein in beans.

10 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Localemperor: 9:47pm On Mar 22
Anunakeeh:

True to some extent because i had the experience firsthand.
So beans made you tall? grin

1 Like

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by MrCork: 10:04pm On Mar 22
Localemperor:

Yes...all females lice my height sir!!!(true story) angry
Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Localemperor: 10:14pm On Mar 22
MrCork:

Yes...all females lice my height sir!!!(true story) angry
So beans made It possible grin
Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by kennylagos(m): 10:41pm On Mar 22
I eat beans a lot and I am tall.

6 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by MrCork: 10:43pm On Mar 22
Localemperor:
So beans made It possible grin

Yesss sir. It make u tall like pole!! angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by GreatAchiever1: 11:22pm On Mar 22
I chop beans well well during my early teenage years even till now years later. Las las, I still end up being 6'2. The goal was atleast 6'5. Mtchewww.
Go chop better meat for protein diet.

10 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:50am On Mar 23
Better when you are a kid.after 20 years.forget about height no matter wetin you chop in this life

2 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Bookhub: 7:00am On Mar 23
Yeah its true
I am a beans lover from my childhood too and I got taller since my teenage years its is rich in protein that aids growth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Bookhub: 7:01am On Mar 23
GreatAchiever1:
I chop beans well well during my early teenage years even till now years later. Las las, I still end up being 6'2. The goal was atleast 6'5. Mtchewww.

Woow you are tall ooo
Abeg that one is enough.
Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Seunpapa65: 7:01am On Mar 23
Growth is as a result of the gene

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Tallesty1(m): 8:37am On Mar 23
GreatAchiever1:
I hated beans as a child, so one day I asked my mom why my uncle Moses was so tall. She said that when they were young, my uncle ate more beans than all of them.

Bro, I declared war on beans. I ate beans sotey I fear say e fit grow inside my bele.

Guess what?

I ended up taller than everyone in the family; only Uncle Moses comes close.

Myth or no myth, e no concern me, mine worked. grin grin grin grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by GreatAchiever1: 9:11am On Mar 23
Tallesty1:
I hated beans as a child, so one day I asked my mom why my uncle Moses was so tall. She said that when they were young, my uncle ate more beans than all of them.

Bro, I declared war on beans. I ate beans sotey I fear say e fit grow inside my bele.

Guess what?

Well, good for you, but I think genes is also a major factor, my brother didn't really chop beans as much as I did, but he's taller than me.

But I still love beans, height or no height.

13 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by GreatAchiever1: 9:13am On Mar 23
Bookhub:

Woow you are tall ooo
Abeg that one is enough.

I see my self as average height, tall for a guy in my own definition is from 6'4 and above. But ofcourse opinions vary in this regard and it's fine.

1 Like

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by dkidd: 10:01am On Mar 23
Tallesty1:

Guess what?

Lol funny... No be beans bro na ur genes cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Tallesty1(m): 10:56am On Mar 23
dkidd:

Lol funny... No be beans bro na ur genes cheesy
I know bro. grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Beans Make People Tall by Airlord2030: 11:15am On Mar 23
Genetics is what determines height and not any beans

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dettol Disinfectant Recalled In South Africa For Being ‘unsafe’ / The Best Eye Clinic In Lagos /nigeria / Nigeria’s Oladapo Ashiru Emerges 1st Black IFFS Secretary-general

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.