Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy (18298 Views)

I Need An Hardworking Writer On Fiverr / Opportunity For Hardworking Mothers, Business Women And Business People in Abuja / Inspiring Story Of Hardworking Abuja Girl Who Turned Millionaire Overnight (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by AfroBlue(m): 5:18pm On Nov 15, 2011
Women Of The Underground Economy

Wonderful 9ja spirit of hustle and survivial.

BN Photo Stories: Women of the Underground Economy
Posted on Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 6:45 PM
By BellaNaija.com

It is great to come your way again today, 11-11-11, six weeks after our debut post on the Bella Naija Photo Stories series. In the first episode, we explored the informal sector of the Nigerian economy with a special focus on the city of Lagos. The next episode threw some light on environmental sanitation in the nation’s commercial capital, imploring all and sundry to take the issue as a personal as well as collective one. This week, we revisit the ‘underground economy’ in Lagos and Rivers States, our primary focus being the women who strive to make a living therein.

Everywhere you go, you feel their pulse. They are hardworking and will go to any length to make ends meet. Absolutely. In the face of stringent rules set by the government of the day, and an urgent need to sanitize an emerging urban economy, they dare the harsh elements of weather to engage in trade. Many had the short end of the stick handed to them when they could not go beyond elementary school, no thanks to poverty and/or fathers who never believed in educating the girl-child. Some, graduates from higher institutions, even join the train, when white-collar jobs take eternity to materialize. Clearly, there is a strong link between a person’s level of education and their earning power.

In the typical African society, the man is considered the migratory and polygynous being. Consequently, the major burden of nurturing and educating the offspring is largely transferred to the mother of the children. It is worse when the man, who is the statutory head of the house, cannot provide the required robust all-encompassing leadership. This further entrenches the saying often attributed to Mahatma Gandhi that: “If you educate a man, you educate an individual; but if you educate a woman, you educate a nation.”

At the 2010 High-level Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly on the Millennium Development Goals, world leaders reaffirmed their commitment to the MDGs and called for intensified collective action and the expansion of successful approaches. They called for action to ensure equal access by women and girls to education, basic services, health care, economic opportunities and decision-making at all levels, recognizing that achievement of the MDGs depends largely on women’s empowerment. Women’s empowerment refers to the ability of women to transform economic and social development when empowered to fully participate in the decisions that affect their lives through leadership training, coaching, consulting, and the provision of enabling tools for women to lead within their communities, regions, and countries. It is the cultivation of personhood in women largely based on their mind and the knowledge it possesses.

In similar vein, we lend our voices to the clamour for the establishment of credit and savings components as a way of both enabling these women to increase their incomes and come together to address wider gender issues. We’ll be back in a fortnight!

'Agege Bread' on the Move

Somewhere in Port Harcourt; 'Boli' is almost a staple

Smoked fish seller on Creek Road wins some points for hygiene

Cycling to make a living in PH

More smoked fish,

Garri in the making,

http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/11/11/bn-photo-stories-women-of-the-underground-economy/
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by AfroBlue(m): 5:27pm On Nov 15, 2011

'Nothing spoil for Lagos!'

And, she wades through the dirty puddle

Middle-aged street traders in Lagos

You live in Lagos? Get yourself some concoction!

Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by AfroBlue(m): 5:34pm On Nov 15, 2011

Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Afam4eva(m): 5:36pm On Nov 15, 2011
I don't see how this is peculiar to Nigeria as women from other countries go through the same travails to make a living.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by AfroBlue(m): 5:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
afam4eva:

I don't see how this is peculiar to Nigeria as women from other countries go through the same travails to make a living.

Take that up with ,

CREDITS:
Bayo Omoboriowo is a freelance photographer and photo artiste. A double-finalist (Still Life & Lifestyle) at the maiden edition of the Nigeria Photography Awards in July 2011, his works have appeared on BellaNaija.com, YNaija.com, and in Y! Magazine. He loves documentary photography, though he also dabbles into events and portrait.
Twitter: @BayoOmoboriowo | Blog: www.bayoomoboriowo.com | Facebook Page: Bayo Omoboriowo

Jide Odukoya, a graphic designer and (front-end) web designer, decided to build a career in photography barely a year ago after purchasing a Canon 550D with which he had experimented for a while. A Photoshop faithful, he dabbles into several kinds of photography, the top three being documentary, street, and wedding photography, in that order.
Twitter: @jideodukoya | Blog: www.jideodukoya.com/blog | Facebook Page: Jide Odukoya Photography

Gbenga Awomodu is an Editorial Assistant at Bainstone Ltd./BellaNaija.com. When he is not reading or writing, Gbenga is listening to good music or playing the piano. He believes in the inspirational power of words and pictures, which he explores in helping to make the world a better place. He writes from Makurdi, Benue State, where he is presently on the national youth service programme.

Twitter: @gbengaawomodu | Blog: www.gbengaawomodu.com | Facebook Page: Gbenga Awomodu

http://www.bellanaija.com/2011/11/11/bn-photo-stories-women-of-the-underground-economy/
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by obowunmi(m): 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2011
**boring**
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by OAM4J: 5:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
All I have is respect for these women.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by blacksta(m): 5:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
God Bless them all.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by lifestyle1(m): 6:13pm On Nov 16, 2011
I respect their hustle, He no easy!
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by moshoodn(m): 6:14pm On Nov 16, 2011
Nigeria. . .
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 16, 2011
Nigerian women, Yoruba women. . .  are simple hard workers.

I respect our women to the T! kiss kiss

Too bad Nigerian sisi dey sleep around for BB and Korean weave. I guess that's another type of hustling.  lipsrsealed
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by r231(m): 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2011
Tru mothers
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Roland17(m): 6:22pm On Nov 16, 2011
I am watching this pictures and all i can do is say a short prayer for the Hardworking Nigerian women and men that are never recognized with hallowed honors despite their efforts to keep the economy and their families running despite the level of poverty and hardship in the Country, rather they are punished with high level of insecurity in a country they wished could be better.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Ymodulus: 6:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
[size=13pt]why are you all shouting or panicking?!
please have you  all forgotten the youwin program put up by mr president? dont worry with time all this will change. we should pray.

where is beaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Goldieluks: 6:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
This is so touching,God bless them mothers/women.
cry cry cry
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by comechop(m): 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2011
quite possibly the most useful thread posted on this site in weeks. thanks OP.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by sulad82i(m): 6:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
My God bless them all
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by seedord247(m): 6:42pm On Nov 16, 2011
And one Ediot tell me say after going through all this hustle they should still have time to work out.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by vislabraye(m): 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
Whats your definition for hardwork?
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by dustydee: 7:01pm On Nov 16, 2011
big up to them
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by olapluto(m): 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
Big salute to these women. My mum once was like them. Most of them go through all these so their children can be better people. If you want success in life, treat your mother well.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by babalo1: 7:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
suffering.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by kulutempa: 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
In my opinion this is one of the best threads on Nairaland.  A tribute to our hardworking women in Nigeria, who toil with dignity and self respect,  and an object  lesson for our parasitic leaders, and get rich quick fraudsters and prostitutes both at home and abroad.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by kemmeye: 7:40pm On Nov 16, 2011
this makes me hungry jare i need boli right now
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Knight1(m): 7:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
I HAIL THE GREATEST PHENOMENON ON THE PLANET

THE BLACK WOMAN[/size][size=8pt]

TRIBUTE!!!!
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 16, 2011
But you know according to Beaf (Reno Omokri) GEJ is the best thing that has happened to Nigeria and with the help of super women like Okonjo and Deziani (whatever) all is well with the country. The guy is a dysfunctional animal.

Lets not forget though that many of these women voted of GEJ with hope but now all that hope is dashed as PDP continue with the loot. Sorry mamas but am sure next time you will probably stay away from the polls coz your last hope (GEJ) has spent the whole time telling us tripe and wanting us to believe he has the ability of a PHD holder to solve problems.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by OlaPhils(m): 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
God will by His infinite mercy guild and bless these women struggling to make sure things work. those to put things in place never care about any one. why won't they struggle to put food on d table?
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by polokor60(m): 7:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
GOD bless you all.to all the hardworking women in nigeria that strive daily to bring a better future for their children and family,y'all will surely reap the fruit of your labour.much respect and much love to you all. smiley
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by okunoba(m): 8:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
Respect to these great women of Nigeria. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 16, 2011
seedord247:

And one Ediot tell me say after going through all this hustle they should still have time to work out.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by Fhemmmy: 8:10pm On Nov 16, 2011
I week for the Nation called Nigeria . . .
Re: Pictures Of Hardworking Women Of Nigeria's Underground Economy by sonety2k(m): 8:12pm On Nov 16, 2011
Respect  to  all  our  Mothers , God  Bless  them  for  us  all  !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Mistakes I Made Starting An Online Business In Nigeria That You Should Avoid! / Chuky Ezenwa Celebrates Birthday With N2.7 Million Empowerment For Youths / “Pay Yourself First”: Best Saving Strategy To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.