Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,771 members, 7,809,971 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria (5138 Views)

Nairaland Overtakes Linda Ikeji's Blog On Alexa / Top 5 Blog In Nigeria For Latest Free Browsing Cheats. / Konga Overtakes Nairaland As The Most Visited Site In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by mundus(m): 12:09pm On Nov 16, 2011
Latest reports and statistics from Stat-Counter has showed that desktop browsing has been overtaken by mobile browsing for the first time in Nigeria.The stats reveal that Internet browsing from mobile phones increased by over 25% between October 2010 and October 2011. On the other hand, Internet browsing from a Desktop PC decreased by over 27% within the past year.
From the report, mobile phones and devices accounted for 52.5% of Internet browsing in Nigeria, while PCs accounted for 47.5% of Internet browsing in Nigeria.
This web trend comes at a time when Nigeria currently has the largest mobile subscriber base in Africa with over 93 million mobile subscribers as at September 2011.
With this latest stats, Nigeria becomes the first African country where mobile browsing overtakes desktop browsing. see graph at

http://naijaedutech..com/2011/11/mobile-browsing-overtakes-desktop.html
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by DualCore1: 12:31pm On Nov 16, 2011
How's this bad news?
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
With mobile, It's cheaper, easy to access and friendlier! #PHCN contributes to the decline in desktop usage. . .#UpTechnology.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2011
I second Dual's question.

By 2014, according to a study I recently read, there will be 6 billion mobile devices in use worldwide and a majority of those (sorry, I forgot that statistic) will be smartphones and tablets. This is why I recently picked up mobile web design and have started offering it as a combo (regular site + mobile site) package. . .with a discount I might add wink

I wouldn't say PHCN is to blame here though. It's more like NITEL and a sign of the times:
NITEL: Without reliable land lines, how do you expect people to surf from home? People then resort to cyber cafes, which in and of itself aren't exactly safe in the sense that for instance, you couldn't guarantee your safety by going to a cyber cafe in the wee hours of the morning.

Sign of the times: It's all about technological advances.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 16, 2011
You're right, its technological advancement. Howbeit, I put a partial blame on PHcN because of the poor electricity supply. Unlike what is obtainable in the western regions. How would you expect people to confine to desktop computers when there's no adequate supply of electricity for days, week etc? I still can't remember the last time i used my desktop at home, safe in the office where you are sure of no interuption. smiley #just saying that by that 2014, the percentage of internet mobile users in Nigeria would skyrocket greatly since we've got no good alternative to fall on.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by mundus(m): 5:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
As much as I wouldn't like to sound selfish but I think very few people would understand what I mean by it been a bad news, Those who make a living out the internet will understand with me I guess
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by DualCore1: 5:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
This is not bad news. Move with the trend. People who are in business and mean business move with consumer trends. It will only be bad news for you if you do not know how to carry consumers along.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 6:47pm On Nov 16, 2011
Again (what is wrong with me today? tongue ), I second Dual.

Every technological advancement comes with its "disadvantages": Planes have put trains out of business, email has done same to the post offices around the world. Heck! Cheaper developers in countries like Nigeria, China and India are threatening me for my job in the states!

We just have to adapt to current trends, improving upon processes and remaining relevant. The world can't afford to remain stuck on neutral just because it will deny some the ability to find a job.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
Definitely not bad news. You do not have any reasons not even a bad reason. It is mobile, that's what makes it hot. You do not want to be carrying desktop or laptop around all the time.
With mobile phones you can access the internet in the bathroom, toilet,anywhere name it.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
i have phobia for mobile phones esp to browse, they can track my location. some skynet stuff tongue
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by DualCore1: 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
Infact for some mandatory applications I use for work on my android I had to accept that they'll use some GPS data for my location. I no fear sha, I clean grin
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 10:07pm On Nov 16, 2011
Folks,

As I am sure you all know, you can turn off the gps tracking feature of your phones. Besides, where all else fails, you can take out the battery and put it back in when you are ready to make a call, from that "undisclosed" location smiley
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 16, 2011
@yawatide true but who knows maybe the switch off button is to make u feel comfortable that its off. its natural for mobile to outpace anything desktop esp pertaining to information and data.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by databoy247(m): 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2011
Errmm, you know, no matter how "techi" you mobile phone might be, it cant offer the same level of privacy as computers. Many a times, websites adapted for mobile browsing dont carry the same encryption and security as those built for computers. i dont think there are firewalls and all those craps we saddle ourselves with just in case of a breach. So, with the mobile version, when the breach occurs, its gonna be an eruption. sad

I think that should be a potential problem with this new wave of mobile browsing cool
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by yawatide(f): 12:08am On Nov 17, 2011
lol, pc guru:
Do I sense some paranoia? LOL
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 17, 2011
I guess u are not into serious bizness, that is why people use mobile browsing instead, or they dont just have the money to buy desktop and pay for the connection, between only what they do on mobile most is FaceBook
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by DualCore1: 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2011
Thats a faulty guess. Theres nothing i do on my laptop that i cant do on my galaxy tablet (from web development, technical support to linux server administration). When you say people cannot pay for a desktop connection, isnt it the same bundles we run on both mobile and pc? Blackberry asside.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by IbroSaunks(m): 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2011
umm, the last I checked, mobile browsers can open the same pages desktop browsers can, I'm typing this post with my phone,
besides, I can't carry my laptop everywhere now can I?, so how's it bad news?
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by shanda(m): 12:05pm On Nov 17, 2011
truly a bad news. it will only make the telcos focus more wireless transmission instead of investing in either fibre optics or copper cables. i make a living online and i know the advantage of having either of the last two options. I have some applications that i run on my PC which consumes a lot of bandwith, there are no mobile versions of the aplications, even if there are, the cap on the bandwidth will be a limitation. I'm sure we all know the problem with wireless signals. With a dedicated connection, I can triple my income in few months.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by IbroSaunks(m): 12:05pm On Nov 17, 2011
@dual core, "gets:, ", I like that, Hehehehe,
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by member479760: 12:07pm On Nov 17, 2011
when a lot of us don't have power to the PC, then what did one expect. at this point of development is not a good thing!
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 17, 2011
Dual Core:

Thats a faulty guess. Theres nothing i do on my laptop that i cant do on my galaxy tablet (from web development, technical support to linux server administration). When you say people cannot pay for a desktop connection, isnt it the same bundles we run on both mobile and pc? Blackberry asside.

Well depending on what u do, i know why some people depends on Mobile Phone browsing is because they dont have the money to afford laptop or desktop, not because they just like mobile phone browsing, if not, go for IPAD lol
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 12:14pm On Nov 17, 2011
odiaero:

Well depending on what u do, i know why some people depends on Mobile Phone browsing is because they dont have the money to afford laptop or desktop, not because they just like mobile phone browsing, if not, go for IPAD lol

What's the difference between an IPAD and a galaxy tablet?
Aren't they both tablets?
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 17, 2011
I doubt if power is a causative factor, I guess it could be a confounder. Until we see the full analysis any other thing is just speculation.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 17, 2011
jay bee:

What's the difference between an IPAD and a galaxy tablet?
Aren't they both tablets?

Am not talking about Galaxy tablets, am talking about those using Mobile phones like BB and so on
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2011
for those who are still shouting bad news, yes it is bad for your business. What are you going to do now? fold your hands and continue with desktop related business? The trend will never be reversed, mobile users will continue to dominate in Nigeria.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by freecocoa(f): 12:39pm On Nov 17, 2011
odiaero:

Am not talking about Galaxy tablets, am talking about those using Mobile phones like BB and so on
So a PC is more expensive than a BB torch or even Bold,if you have 30k come let me show you where you'll buy a PC,PC's aren't that expensive anymore,so its not all about having the money for one.
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by engrj(m): 12:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
And most of the browsing on mobile fone are fb, 2g, Ebodi etc. dat is nonsense, , , , , . . dat is also y i don't make much profit from my cafe again Bleep!
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
freecocoa:

So a PC is more expensive than a BB torch or even Bold,if you have 30k come let me show you where you'll buy a PC,PC's aren't that expensive anymore,so its not all about having the money for one.  

Sorry o, that is is a dead PC to me, my PC i use at home is 1000% cost of what u wrote, just like i said, depending on what u do, my PC cost more than BB Torch and Bold Combined
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2011
odiaero:

Sorry o, that is is a dead PC to me, my PC i use at home is 1000% cost of what u wrote, just like i said, depending on what u do, my PC cost more than BB
Must u brag at all times?

Read, digest then reply/type
look at her key qualifier
freecocoa:

Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
^^ I dont know why u see everything as bragging, do u even know me?
Re: Mobile Browsing Overtakes Desktop Browsing In Nigeria by jaybee3(m): 12:53pm On Nov 17, 2011
odiaero:

^^ I dont know why u see everything as bragging, do u even know me?
I don't need to know u physically before i deduce how u go about bragging all over the place.
A lil bit of humility will surely go a long way.
We all know you are a billionaire and we wanna be like you so stop telling us how rich you are every single time

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moving To Oop Javascript/php Class Module Creation & Instantiation / W3school Offline Website / Can't Log In To Wordpress Dashboard After Mistakenly Changed Url To HTTPS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.