Stats: 3,152,995 members, 7,817,947 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" (188 Views)

How To Become A Commercial Pilot In Nigeria In Short Summary (Photos) / Route To Working As A Doctor In The Uk For Nigerian Graduates / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable And Solutions To The Problem (2) (3) (4)

In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" by Sirmwill: 9:31am On Apr 06
A topic made frontpage about Wike touring Abuja Metroline
CapitalLens:
FCT Minister, Barrister Nyesom Wike on Friday, April 5th, undertook a tour of the Abuja Rail Mass Transit scheme also known as the Abuja Metro line, and rode on the train from the city center to the Abuja Airport.

The Minister expressed his satisfaction with the quality of work and commended the contractor while revealing that the project was one of those scheduled to be commissioned by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in May

This was my comment
Sirmwill:
Wike look like Metro too much

Okay okay

Why does this country continue to pay foreign companies for construction projects in Nigeria
Am I missing something?
Are the engineering students or graduates in Nigeria not capable to do these constructions from start to finish
In 2024!!! 😶

Hammylawali:

My only question to you is, how many building your engineering student don build for your school ( examples are security house, or a toilet, or run a drainage system as practical )?.. even the same university they graduated from can‘t defend their graduates to deliver quality. Ordinary drainage system for school, na expert dey run am. Una never ready to wake for this country…
Codes151:
what can you do except type on nairaland?
Tell me!
Can you design the tunnel ventilations system that uses thermodynamics?

Do you know the normal , emergency and master operations of trains?

So you know how the dampers and louvres are regulated with the PLC for each shaft, station?

Let’s talk about the mechanical, electrical and etc.

So Mr. Graduate, what would you do except insult people on nairaland and make noise about your tribe.

slimfit1:

100billion dollars question.
oyatz:

The educational institutions in Nigeria were NOT designed to solve problems of Nigeria but as 'photocopies of foreign bodies', thus graduates from Nigerian Universities often need to seek validations from UK, USA, Canada, Germany before being considered truly educated.
Joey4321:

No they're not
Heffalump:

This question is baseless if you understand the fundamental issues.
The Nigerian engineers are equally good, but there's no foundation to achieve their technological prowess.
You should also ask, why is Nigeria not developed while the Western countries are far more developed?
noruwasman:

Are you not surprised to know that with the number of professors in our university, no institution has been able to generate electricity to run any of the universities
gabbytabby:
No they are not. An auto engineer in Nigeria is not properly trained and like you and I he is looking for mechanic.

They come out of uni with almost zero practical skills and waiting to be signing paper.

Segxydube:

Na quack full naija... Na so one of the governor of a state (name witheld) built an ovethead bridge with the help of a local contractor... Bridge don ready since bit they cant open it because na substandard work... Make bridge dey leak water.
Bluffly:

Of course they are not. Graduates with no adequate field exposure. University design courses with no partnership with engineering companies, no collaboration whatsoever. It is just about textbook
GodHimself:
With what experience?

They should be understudying this so they can gain the capability.

MasterTeeUSA:
They only cram books in Nigeria. I studied abroad, and I just shook my head. Do you know the NMR at my college alone was half a million dollars...it can tell you the chemical composition of compounds so you can create and discover new compounds and bondings. How can Nigeria afford a machine that is now N60 billion....there is a reason why education is super expensive..and there is a reason they recruit the best of the best too...they need to justify all these expenses lol. Naija...we are not ready yet.

MaziObinnaokija:
grin sad Engr graduate here? Pray,some of them dnt handover ur project. Ordinary Street drai,dem scattered all.Come see flood grin cheesy
NairalandGOAT1:

Funny enough this foreign engineers are not even graduates in their country they're just like the bricklayers we have here!
mapet:

Wao!

You mean to Standard Guage Rail project be given to "Engineering Students"?
Darkjudge24:
Lie lai , our engineers no sabi nothing, look our roads and d kain drainage wen dem construct, water no dey rush go anywhere even when river near the road wen dem dey construct d water no dey flow, instead na reservoir drainage dem dey construct
iLegendd:
Innoson that manufactures cars, some of your fellow Nigerians said it's a coffin. Dangote that is refining our crude, I hope these same Nigerians will say his fuel will spoil their gen and cars.

Some Nigerians try to make made in Nigeria look bad, hence contractors make sure there is at least a white or Asian man in every construction company to make it look like foreigners are doing it so that Nigerians will see it as good. In truth, the foreigners there were just paid to roam around with helmet at the site while Nigerians do 100% of everything.

Contractors get sense nah.

Tareq1105:

They're not capable.

2ndly, the local contractor would divert the money to marry more wives, buy flashy cars, and take chieftancy titles.
Again I say, they're not capable.
DavidEsq:

Have u seen the projects done by our local companies? Dey play
Germanjoe:

I wipe for giants of Africa
CountinBlessins:

Go and sleep, you must not talk about every single thing . Grow up
Jungleluv5:
Not only engineers na enginar ni idiot
ozo13:
even for engineering student to construct ordinary school road, I don't think they have the capacity
Nicoddemus:

Must you type something
santaclaws:

The amount of technology and expertise required to carry out such projects isn't something you obtain from studying an engineering degree.

Nigeria's rail sector has been comatose for decades, so where do you expect the graduates to get the requisite experience from? It doesn't work that way bro.
Re: In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" by 4KNGOATS(m): 9:48am On Apr 06
Sirmwill:
A topic made frontpage about Wike touring Abuja Metroline

This was my comment

Are the employers capable?
Re: In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" by Sirmwill: 9:52am On Apr 06
4KNGOATS:

Are the employers capable?

Hmm
That's true sef

Someone mentioned how expensive an NMR equipment is

I swiftly remembered how much one single politician embezzled and....
Re: In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" by TUANKU(m): 9:53am On Apr 06
Well not all but a many are practically useless but it's no fault of theirs but the educational system is faulty.
While studying software engineering at UEL we wrote no exams, just practicals and assignments but the assignments were like final year projects and all hands on. That way students graduated and were job ready.
Re: In Summary, Nigerian Graduates Are actually "USELESS" by Franzinni: 9:58am On Apr 06
Nigerian education is archaic and silly .. that is why most graduates forget everything withing 2 years ... Go an ask most phd holders today basic questions and you will be shocked .

Educate yourself based on what interests you ... Forget title, it is useless in the world we are moving into, a freelancer who is making 10k dolls per month on hustle is better than a PhD holdr making 600k naira a month.

Forget what you know about education and life , it was set that way so that you will be a slave to the government as a government worker and work for 9 to 5 for your life with nothing to show when you are old and useless ... There are a few who work for government or other companies and make it big but there are not the majority ... The majority end up depressed and feeling cheated out of life ...

Learn A New Word Every Day With Researchclue. Word Of The Day! / Parcelinterns-services You Can Trust / Winter Is Where? Definitely Not Here