Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) (54800 Views)

Bobrisky Is Not The First Nigerian Crossdresser Meet Area Scatter / Area Scatter : Nigeria's First Crossdresser - Imo State (1970), Before Bobrisky / Meet Nigeria's First Cross Dresser In Imo State Named ''area Scatter'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by adamusuleiman1: 1:59pm On Apr 12
For Area Scatter, Crossdressing was more than just a wardrobe change.

When we think of cross-dressing in Nigeria, names like Bobrisky, James Brown and Denrele Edun immediately emerge.

Yet, what many, especially, the younger generation, don’t realise is that cross-dressing has quite a history in Nigeria, which is often overlooked.

Before the rise of today’s cross-dressing ‘icons’, Nigeria had its pioneer back in the 1970s: Uzoma Odimara, better known as Area Scatter.

But what would crossdressing in the 1970s look like?

Here is what Odimara, the first Nigerian crossdresser in the 1970s, looked like.

Odimara, or as he was fondly known, Area Scatter, commanded attention.

He adorned himself in exquisite attire of a women’s blouse and matching wrappers with a pair of beautiful moderate heels; despite his looks that blurred the lines between masculinity and femininity, he was a sight to behold.

For Area Scatter, Crossdressing was more than just a change of wardrobe; it was a performance art.

But it wasn’t just his appearance that set him apart; it was his attitude; his gestures were also a wonder to many, who for the first time, would experience what we now know as crossdressing, In a time when the concept of cross-dressing was still developing in Nigeria.

But beyond his appearance and gestures, he was also an entertainer to the core; He would play his ornamental thumb piano, singing in a rich, smooth voice, and entertaining his audiences with unique dance moves.

Soon, Area Scatter gained fame among the people and the royals, as he performed from markets to palaces at his time.

Indeed, it wasn’t just his music that enraptured audiences; it was his entire persona. Social media recent clips of Area Scatter performing for local rulers and intrigued crowds have further spurred more interest in his unique personality.

Life
Born in Imo State, little is known about Area Scatter’s early life. He was reportedly a civil servant who vanished during the Nigerian Civil War, only to reemerge with a new identity.

Many believed he spent seven months and seven days away from public sight only to be reinvented as a beautifully adorned woman.

Scatter’s rise to fame in the late 1970s stemmed from his unconventional approach to entertainment.

He flaunted a striking style, braiding his hair, donning makeup, and strutting in heels, all while captivating audiences with his melodious voice and charismatic presence.

His performances as a cross-dresser, actor, comedian, and musician aimed to challenge societal norms and promote tolerance for gender diversity.

Renowned throughout Imo State and the South-east and gaining international attention, Area Scatter’s thumb piano performances were legendary, adorned with distinctive skulls and crossbones.

During his lifetime, he frequented NTV (now known as the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA) channel 6’s Ukonu’s Club, and he was the leader of the ‘Ugwu Anya Egbulam’ musical group. One of his famous catchphrases was: “If I’d lied to you, may I bathe without clothing”.

Tragically, Area Scatter’s life was cut short by a ghastly motor accident. Still, his legacy as a pioneering cross-dressing performer resonates with the likes of contemporary cross-dressers in Nigeria.

It has been over five decades since his death. However, crossdressing has become a trend in Nigeria, with personalities like Denrele continuing to challenge gender norms with their distinctive styles.

In contrast, others like Bobrisky, James Brown, and Jay Boogie have pushed boundaries further, embracing feminine appearances amidst controversy.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/naija-fashion/684741-meet-area-scatter-nigerias-first-publicly-known-crossdresser.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DYIDQh20Q?si=WPeyBicsWR7nC52I

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by helinues: 2:00pm On Apr 12
grin

FG was so clever in handling Bobrisky's case.

Had they charged him for Gayism, that would have drawn the attention of the West who carry that matter for head like gala.

In this case, it's a criminal case which they can only peep.

Scapegoat(s) must be someone. It's time for FG to build a new correctional facilities for those with abnormal personalities like Bobrisky

270 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Thundafireseun: 2:02pm On Apr 12
tongue
The day they gave birth to this one… his father might’ve been rejoicing that he has a son 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Melagros(m): 2:04pm On Apr 12
COMRADES why are these guys disturbing us with this cross dressing news all the time

57 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Tunde835(m): 2:35pm On Apr 12
Fu*cking weirdo

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Slytiger: 2:40pm On Apr 12
Melagros:
COMRADES why are these guys disturbing us with this cross dressing news all the time
Because boborisky is currently the biggest news in Nigeria right now.

Even the story from premium times is from the 9th of April. Traditional media houses are also latching on the trend of boborisky.

MadamExcellency:
His cross dressing wasn't promoting or glorifying sex or nudity hence everyone enjoyed his entertainment.
Different era..they also did not have BBN that equally promoted or glorify sex back then.

FreeStuffsNG:
He was clearly a very good and talented entertainer. He even praised Imo state in his music.
No report on his family; wife? Children??
May God continue to console his family and associates.
May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!
I enjoyed his music too and was almost dancing. 😁

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by buharibanjo(m): 2:41pm On Apr 12
He was famous, not for his talent but cross dressing.
If you're good, seek attention.
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by muyico(m): 2:47pm On Apr 12
Really? It been here awhile
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by MadamExcellency: 2:47pm On Apr 12
His cross dressing wasn't promoting or glorifying sex or nudity hence everyone enjoyed his entertainment.

38 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by FreeStuffsNG: 3:11pm On Apr 12
He was clearly a very good and talented entertainer. He even praised Imo state in his music.
No report on his family; wife? Children??
May God continue to console his family and associates.
May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by KingLennon(m): 4:28pm On Apr 12
I heard that the same Bobrisky who said she's planning of even giving birth accepted in the court of law that She is a man cheesy

Miracle no dey tire Jesus sad

30 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by AbuTwins: 5:27pm On Apr 12
It can never be started by any omoluabi or Arewa or Muslims!

It was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed men who imitate women and women who imitate men, and he said: “Throw them out of your houses.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5885).

Undoubtedly one of the most obvious signs of an effeminate man is that he wears women’s clothing and imitates their ways.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the man who wears women’s clothing and the woman who wears men’s clothing. Narrated by Abu Dawood (4098) and classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi in al-Majmoo’ (4/469) and by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

They are all cursed!

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by meum: 5:27pm On Apr 12
It wasn’t RISKY back then🙃

2 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by InteliJ(f): 5:28pm On Apr 12
helinues:
grin

Had they charged him for Gayism, that would have drawn the attention of the West who carry that matter for head like gala.

Scapegoat(s) must be someone. It's time for FG to build a new correctional facilities for those with abnormal personalities like Bobrisky
Smh

1 Like

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by DiskJokeyManic: 5:28pm On Apr 12
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by sylve11: 5:28pm On Apr 12
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Greenfaces: 5:28pm On Apr 12
KingLennon:
I heard that the same Bobrisky who said she's planning of even giving birth accepted in the court of law that She is a man cheesy

Miracle no dey tire Jesus sad
Lol. By the time he's out he may be bearded

1 Like

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by jeff1993: 5:28pm On Apr 12
Vv
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by flexyrule(m): 5:29pm On Apr 12
What's the purpose of this thread now?

3 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Queengee: 5:29pm On Apr 12
Bobrisky is not a crossdresser but transgender, transgender is part of the LGBT community which is against Nigeria law. Even Wikipedia knows bobrisky as transgender not cross dresser

9 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by havenz(m): 5:30pm On Apr 12
This is Meaningless.
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by brain54(m): 5:30pm On Apr 12
Abeg o...

Is denrele a cross dresser?
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Cantonese: 5:31pm On Apr 12
Shameless people.

2 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by sirblend: 5:31pm On Apr 12
All crossdressers are members of APC including James Brown and J Bogie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Savedday2: 5:31pm On Apr 12
Even the way him dey e till be like man.

But what I don't understand is, why would a man want to be a woman?

For these life, instead of me to be a woman, I rather die. That's why I dislike those boys that make their hair and put on ear ring.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Jessyjeff: 5:31pm On Apr 12
I grew up in Enyimba city and watched this man play during Ukonu's club on NTA channel 6 Aba.

He was a hilarious entertainer!

9 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by helinues: 5:31pm On Apr 12
InteliJ:

Smh

Please avoid anything solid
Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by BobbieZion(m): 5:32pm On Apr 12
helinues:
grin

Since you came out of your cocoon you have been constituting nuisance.
New correctional facility for them and your likes.
I mean those with abnormal personalities.

4 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Honestey: 5:32pm On Apr 12
I knew it! Crossdressing is too foreign to us Omoluabi, Bobrisky must have gotten that strange idea from somewhere that shall not be named, phue! Now all his package hairs go scatter by the end of 6th years in prison.

1 Like

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by thedio(m): 5:33pm On Apr 12
This reminds me of Sisi Kamo in Ibadan back in the 90s

1 Like

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Princewill1(m): 5:33pm On Apr 12
Nobody should promote this lgtv nonsense in Africa.

The West is already suffering from their funding and promotion of it.

8 Likes

Re: Meet ‘Area Scatter’ Nigeria’s First Publicly-known Crossdresser (Video) by Konquest: 5:34pm On Apr 12
adamusuleiman1:
For Area Scatter, Crossdressing was more than just a wardrobe change.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/entertainment/naija-fashion/684741-meet-area-scatter-nigerias-first-publicly-known-crossdresser.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DYIDQh20Q?si=WPeyBicsWR7nC52I
cheesy grin... That's quite melodious though I don't know diddly-squat about what he's saying. I've read about this man before now.

Area Scatter WASN'T a transgender and certainly not gay. He was ONLY a crossdresser and an entertainer back in the 1970s to the 1980s. He hailed from Ohaji Egbema in the Old Imo State and passed on in an auto accident in the 1980s according to his nephew who posted here on NL in 2020.

Conversely, Bob Risky IS a transgender and NOT a crossdresser or even a gay. Bob Risky has already done a sex change though using female hormones and hip enhancements abroad to become more feminine according to some interviews he granted in the past.

Bob Risky hails from Ijebu Igbo in Ogun State and is a graduate of Accountancy from the University of Lagos.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Princess Shyngle: My Nigerian Boyfriend Has The Biggest Dick I’ve Ever Had / Tobe Oboli's 17th Birthday: Omoni Oboli, Husband, First Son Throwback Photos / Kaisha Umaru Shows Her "Maid" In Her Video, Gets Blasted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.