Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,915 members, 7,814,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Does This Practice Still Exist? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does This Practice Still Exist? (423 Views)

5 Easy Ways To Practice Self-love / Please Help My Husband Does This Weird Stuff / Money Marriage Practice In Cross River State Where Girls Are Sold To Elderly Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 9:29pm On Apr 15
I remember my maternal grandfather because he was a great man. The thing is, this man had five wives. Can you imagine, five women to one man only o.

Now, the second wife was barren and desperately wanted a child so she had to marry a wife in her own name and handed over to the husband to have children in her name.

This woman paid the dowry on another woman and handed to her husband, after the new wife gave birth to three children, she was sent away and my grandfather's second wife assumed ownership of the children according our custom at that time.

Now, let that sink, one of your wives got her husband a younger banny to sleep with.

Walahi men don enjoy for past. Why was I born into this generation self. Even one woman na wahala.

Now, is there still a place where a woman can marry another woman and give to her husband in Nigeria.
Is there a name for this culture.

Now, when my grandfather was dying, he handed over his wives to his younger brother to take care and one of the wives ended up having two children for the younger bros.

If na for that time, broke girls like Jennyvclay go dey beg to be my sixth wife.

This world don spoil!

1 Like

Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Mariangeles(f): 10:04pm On Apr 15
Was your maternal grandfather by any chance Jacob? cheesy

If you think about it, men then would believe they were enjoying, but it was actually the women that were using them to achieve their aim (to have children).
Men were kind of easily controlled with sex.
Manipulated and used I dare say.
Women then didn't attach much emotions to men.
They went in with their heads, and not their hearts.

If your woman wants you to herself, then she loves you.
If she's willing to share you, then she no send you that much.

1 Like

Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 10:24pm On Apr 15
Mariangeles:
Was your maternal grandfather by any chance Jacob? cheesy

If you think about it, men then would believe they were enjoying, but it was actually the women that was using them to achieve their aim (to have children).
Men were kind of easily controlled with sex.
Manipulated and used I dare say.
Women then didn't attach much emotions to men.
They went in with their heads, and not their hearts.

I agree with you but was is shortage of men in those days or more women in the society. I also want to believe some of the women then must have genuinely loved their husband despite having to share. It was a different world then. Those children eventually grew up to become closer to the woman who married their original mom.

If my wife can marry another woman give me, I go buy am brand new SUV. hehehe
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Mariangeles(f): 10:28pm On Apr 15
Sapasenator:

I agree with you but was is shortage of men in those days or more women in the society?

If only I existed in those days, then I would've been able to answer your question.

Or could it have been after the civil war (when there were probably shortage of men, and women had to do what they had to do? 🤔
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 10:32pm On Apr 15
Mariangeles:

If only I existed in those days, then I would've been able to answer your question.

Or could it have been after the civil war (when there were probably shortage of men, and women had to do what they had to do? 🤔

You have a point. My granpa still chased the 6th woman and died on the laps of his lover from Yenogoa. Can you imagine.
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Mariangeles(f): 10:35pm On Apr 15
Sapasenator:

You have a point. My granpa still chased the 6th woman and died on the laps of his lover from Yenogoa. Can you imagine.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Should we agree that your grandpa was legend? grin
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 10:43pm On Apr 15
Mariangeles:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Should we agree that your grandpa was legend? grin

I am proud of the man. He is dead but his manhood lives on. Heheehe

My biggest fear is I might have inherited his gene and seriously praying about it. Lol
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Mariangeles(f): 10:54pm On Apr 15
Sapasenator:

I am proud of the man. He is dead but his manhood lives on. Heheehe

My biggest fear is I might have inherited his gene and seriously praying about it. Lol

Now is different o.
Kasala go burst. Hahahaha
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 11:04pm On Apr 15
Mariangeles:

Now is different o.
Kasala go burst. Hahahaha

Real Kasala.

Them nor born me well to try that now. Them go kill me and I nor get strength. Lol
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sonnobax15(m): 11:26pm On Apr 15
lipsrsealed
Hell no.....Such practices don't exist anymore.....

1 Like

Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:16am On Apr 16
its actually good that such practices doesnt exist any longer.... where would men find good women if every other men were marrying 5 women each? then women would really feel special (even the liabilities)...
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 12:26am On Apr 16
MrBrownJay1:
its actually good that such practices doesnt exist any longer.... where would men find good women if every other men were marrying 5 women each? then women would really feel special (even the liabilities)...

There are still some decent ladies out there who wouldn't mind being second wives, It's a win-win situation.
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:37am On Apr 16
Sapasenator:
There are still some decent ladies out there who wouldn't mind being second wives, It's a win-win situation.

true... and if some few men are into polygamy then its all good... but if all men could have 5 wives, then it would be a disaster.
if all top men could all have 5 wives and take the good ones away, where would other men find good women to marry? kai!
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Mindlog: 6:01am On Apr 16
Sapasenator:

I agree with you but was is shortage of men in those days or more women in the society. I also want to believe some of the women then must have genuinely loved their husband despite having to share. It was a different world then. Those children eventually grew up to become closer to the woman who married their original mom.

If my wife can marry another woman give me, I go buy am brand new SUV. hehehe

Just hope say your wife no be closet bisexual before she carry her younger lesbian partner carry come home give you as second wife, to bring the joy nearer home!

Na person introduce her younger brother to her younger lesbian partner for marriage, the brother marry am but e no no say na im and the elder sister dey sexually share the same woman for many years, born pikin join wink
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 7:16am On Apr 16
Mindlog:

Just hope say your wife no be closet bisexual before she carry her younger lesbian partner carry come home give you as second wife, to bring the joy nearer home!

Na person introduce her younger brother to her younger lesbian partner for marriage, the brother marry am but e no no say na im and the elder sister dey sexually share the same woman for many years, born pikin join wink

O boy, you come get point o!
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by onumadu: 4:25am On Apr 17
Mariangeles:

If your woman wants you to herself, then she loves you.
If she's willing to share you, then she no send you that much.

Not necessarily true, particularly those good old days when people were less self-centered.
In fact in some parts of Ebonyi state, women did their best to get second or third wives for their husband as a way to prove their love.
Women who insisted on being only wives were seen as wicked and selfish.
It all depends on the ambient culture.
The more monogamist a culture is, the more wicked and self-centered it tends to be.
Just look at Nigeria. You find rich northerners eating on the same floor and plate with poor ones.
In the south, rich men are gods who eat at HIGH tables, farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away from the poor ones.
Re: Does This Practice Still Exist? by Sapasenator: 7:28am On Apr 17
"The more monogamist a culture is, the more wicked and self-centered it tends to be"

I may not agree with you on the above but your take are quite interesting.

Don't you think it is selfish for a man to want many woman but will never allow the wife to do same. I think the culture in those days was very selfish.

(1) (Reply)

Residential Cleaning Services / Super Clean Nissan Exterra For Sale In Port Harcourt...view Pics! / Sammie Okposo 5th Year Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.