Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount (37538 Views)

Airman Arraigned For Theft Of N20m Mistakenly Credited To His Account / EFCC Detains 3 Fake Nigerian Oil Suppliers For Defrauding Ghanaian Of N20m (pics / Man Jailed For 77 Years For Posing As A ‘spirit’ To Defraud Man Of N20m (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by iSense247: 2:44am On Apr 18
Kelklein:

Wrong.. the money is deposited with Court registrar or clerk as the case may be..

It's not after the person defaulted.

At the end of the trial the money is returned as long as the bailed person did not jump the bail.
How will the surety deposit #20m with Court registrar or clerk as the case may be... ? Will the surety deposit into their private bank account?
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by advanceDNA: 3:20am On Apr 18
tunjijones:
This bail you are talking about and the one police use to collect in police station, are they the same?

Lol.....police is ur friend....that one is for being nice to ur friend
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by femicyrus(m): 4:22am On Apr 18
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Granting someone bail at any amount simply means that the person who will stand as surety to the accused must be ready to pay that amount when the accused runs away before the conclusion of the case, meaning the surety is not even paying any money before the release of the accused...even cubana doesn't know the meaning of bail, hence he wouldn't have posted that "money na water "...no one paid any money...it is simply a condition should the accused runs away

I bet 99.9 % of nairalanders do not know this
Educate us on the other version of bail at the police station that is free but yet, you cough out money before leaving the station
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by akambasms(m): 4:51am On Apr 18
In the Nigerian legal system, when a court grants bail of 10,000,000 naira, the accused person (defendant) or their representative must pay this amount to the court before being released from custody. This payment is a prerequisite for securing temporary freedom pending trial or other legal proceedings.

The relevant legal authority governing bail in Nigeria includes provisions from the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 and the Nigerian Constitution. Specifically, Section 161 of the ACJA outlines the principles and procedures related to bail. Here are key points supported by this legal authority:

1. Bail Conditions

Section 161(1) of the ACJA states that bail shall be granted to a defendant upon application, except in circumstances where it is deemed necessary to deny bail based on specific grounds as outlined in Section 162.

2. Bail Amount

Section 161(5) of the ACJA empowers the court to determine the amount of bail to be paid by the defendant. This determination takes into account factors such as the nature of the offense, the circumstances of the case, and the financial capacity of the defendant.

3. Payment of Bail

Based on the provisions of the ACJA, when bail is granted for a specified amount (e.g., 10,000,000 naira), the defendant or their representative is required to pay this amount to the court before release from custody.

4. Legal Authority

- Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015, Section 161(5) says:

"In fixing the amount of any recognizance or bail, the court shall consider the nature of the offence, the circumstances of the case, the defendant's character, antecedents, means, position and any other factors which in the opinion of the court it considers relevant, and shall fix the amount of any recognizance or bail at a level that would ensure the defendant's attendance at trial and compliance with any other conditions considered necessary."

5. Constitutional Backing

The principles of bail in Nigeria are also supported by the Nigerian Constitution, particularly with respect to the fundamental rights of individuals. The Constitution underscores the presumption of innocence and the right to liberty pending trial, except in limited circumstances where denial of bail is justified by specific legal grounds.

Therefore, in summary, when a court grants bail of 10,000,000 naira in Nigeria, the defendant is required to pay this amount to the court as directed by the judicial order, in accordance with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act and constitutional principles governing bail.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by gfelo(m): 5:14am On Apr 18
grin and by that if provided the case is closed grin

delzbaba:
The surety must show evidence of owning the bail sum.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Passionnn: 5:19am On Apr 18
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Granting someone bail at any amount simply means that the person who will stand as surety to the accused must be ready to pay that amount when the accused runs away before the conclusion of the case, meaning the surety is not even paying any money before the release of the accused...even cubana doesn't know the meaning of bail, hence he wouldn't have posted that "money na water "...no one paid any money...it is simply a condition should the accused runs away

Thank you.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Ovieemmanuel: 5:36am On Apr 18
Divine15:

Don't let jealousy blind you, Chiefpriest has always used "Money na Water" as his end signature on most of his recent posts.
lol. I see you people like encouraging childish behaviours. You just had a brush with the law all you could do was to brag on social media.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Lifestone(m): 5:46am On Apr 18
Solofresh2:
Bro this is Nigeria. When Cubans chief priest said money na water, he knows what he was talking about. Your analysis is only for the average Nigerian. If cubana will definitely be jailed,he won't be granted bail. The moment bobrisky wasn't granted bail I knew he would go to jail
Once again this is Nigeria
Bobrisky pleaded guilty and hence no need for further processing. He goes to jail immediately on conviction.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Available9: 5:55am On Apr 18
Ekaka14:

You made a good point then ruined it with the disregard or disrespect for "99.9% of Nairalanders". ...How did you come about this stats?🤔
You didn't even wait for anybody to challenge you before writing off circa 100% of us here...chai...Nigerians and blind arrogance cheesy

Because there was a topic earlier where cubana said " money na water" ...and after going through the comments from nairalanders, I was convinced that they actually do not know the meaning of bail...infact, it was that topic that motivated the creation of this particular topic
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Osehpaul(m): 6:51am On Apr 18
He is still right to say "Money na water". If not for his class, who will stand Surety for him with the like some of amount? 😂
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardon1(m): 6:53am On Apr 18
God forbid, See as lawyers dey confuse themselves. I wonder whether they teach different laws in different schools .
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:57am On Apr 18
Really enlightening
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Saintinoo(m): 6:58am On Apr 18
alanto:

Socialmediaman how do you see this comment? Shouldn't this guy be banned abi hypocrisy will make you look away?

Ban me from my trading business and I will lift a lid, ban me from nairaland, you are wasting your time not mine.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by jibrilELsudan: 7:10am On Apr 18
NothingDoMe:
No. Counterfeiting was not part of the charges against him, and the EFCC cannot prove that the Naira was real.

Now, they can amend the charges to include counterfeiting, but can they prove that the Naira was counterfeit? It goes beyond him just saying it. It must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do we have laws against movie prop Naira notes?🤷‍♂️

SO WAS HE SHOOTING A MOVIE WHEN HE SPRAYED THE NOTES?

USE YOUR FLAT HEAD.....HE WILL BE ASKED IN COURT TO STATE IF THE MONEY WAS REAL OR COUNTERFEIT

WHATEVER ANSWER HE GIVES HE IS FVCKED

IF HE SAYS IT'S REAL HE WILL BE CHARGED

IF HE SAYS IT'S FAKE HE WILL BE CHARGED FOR COUNTERFEITING

2 Likes

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by ndukwejoe(m): 7:10am On Apr 18
culprit spotted
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by sinola(m): 7:40am On Apr 18
POP, please i need more clarification on this...

I want to know if the surety is going to pay the money into the court's account or maybe , court only has to confirmed that the money is in the sureties account before the bail will be granted.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by adehsenior(m): 7:52am On Apr 18
How we wan know if them no teach us?
Education is a continuous thing 🙉🙉

Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by dydx2020(m): 7:52am On Apr 18
What about Police granting someone bail at their stations? Cos not all case get to the court ...
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Blakjewelry(m): 7:58am On Apr 18
MyVILLAGEpeople:

grin grin grin grin
This question is very important
It is illegal na, why do you think they only collect in cash, so that there won't be any evidence.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Anabosee(m): 8:06am On Apr 18
99thEnemy:

Experience is the best teacher grin

Court case loading… grin
In my thirties now, for 3 decades I nor get appointment with court, it wont start now.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Tochj(m): 8:16am On Apr 18
Does it mean that Bobrisky can not afford 10m?
Why them no give am the same option?
Just asking.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:23am On Apr 18
Available9:
Please educate them

Let me add my voice

All your explanations are valid. Some of us have posited on this position before because some of us know. talking down on 99.9% of Nairalanders says a whole lot about where you place yourself
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:24am On Apr 18
Tochj:
Does it mean that Bobrisky can not afford 10m?
Why them no give am the same option?
Just asking.

Shim pleaded guilty up front.

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:25am On Apr 18
Anabosee:

In my thirties now, for 3 decades I nor get appointment with court, it wont start now.

It takes only one slip and just one day
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:26am On Apr 18
dydx2020:
What about Police granting someone bail at their stations? Cos not all case get to the court ...

The same principle applies even when it is administrative bail, but you will bring small something for the pen and papers used in writing statement , etc

1 Like

Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Babaibeji2020(m): 8:26am On Apr 18
Kelklein:

Wrong.. the money is deposited with Court registrar or clerk as the case may be..

At the end of the trial the money is returned as long as the bailed person did not jump the bail.
Wrong......
Nobody deposits no money...
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:28am On Apr 18
jibrilELsudan:

USE YOUR FLAT HEAD.....HE WILL BE ASKED IN COURT TO STATE IF THE MONEY WAS REAL OR COUNTERFEIT

What really is counterfeit? Is a dummy also defined as counterfeit? I am just engaging oo, no be fight
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:29am On Apr 18
Kelklein:

Nobody deposits a dime. Stop arguing what you know nothing about
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by Eagle360(m): 8:30am On Apr 18
What if the accuse die before the next trial, the surety will still pay or the case struck out.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:32am On Apr 18
sinola:
POP, please i need more clarification on this...

I want to know if the surety is going to pay the money into the court's account or maybe , court only has to confirmed that the money is in the sureties account before the bail will be granted.

The court will verify that you have that money somewhere. If it is property, the baillifs will physically visit the property and confirm ownership through neighbourhood search. You do not need to tender documents and have them retained in the court's repository
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by hardbody: 8:34am On Apr 18
hardon1:
God forbid, See as lawyers dey confuse themselves. I wonder whether they teach different laws in different schools .

Lawyers are not confused, it is all these know-it-all people with their personal opinion which they want to insist is both the law and practice. People won't stick to what they know.
Re: What It Means When The Court Grants Bail In The Sum Of N20m Or Any Other Amount by NothingDoMe: 8:40am On Apr 18
jibrilELsudan:

If he says its fake you can't charge him for counterfeiting. Doesn't work like that. He doesn't have to be shooting a movie to use props. Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Soldiers Who Beat Up A Police Traffic Warden In Ibadan Arrested (Video) / Wanted Killer Cultists Beaten Mercilessly By Youths In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Fake Lawyer, Azeez Agboola, Arrested In Ogun Court (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.