Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,653 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike (19449 Views)

Abuja Private School Owners Reject Wike’s Fee Hike / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / Cultists In Polytechnic Ibadan: Students On The Run (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by God1000(m): 5:54pm On Apr 17
Fresh students at the University of Ibadan have kicked against a recent school fee hike.

Seun (not real name), one of the affected students, told FIJ the development threatened his chances of getting a university education.

“I believe that the proposed incremease in school fees is unjust and can hinder the educational pursuits of many deserving students,” said Seun.

FIJ learned that fresh students joining the school’s 2023/2024 academic session are to pay between N203,000 and N412,000. According to the university’s student union, this increment represents about 450–750 percent of the previous fees.

When the University of Ibadan released its admission list for the 2023/2024 academic session some months ago, Seun’s joy knew no bounds. He was excited to have been offered provisional admission to study chemistry at Nigeria’s premier university.

However, he logged in to his student portal and was welcomed by a surprise on Wednesday. The fresh student, who had thought he would pay a little over N100,000 in his first year, discovered he would pay N278,500.

The joy he felt when he learned he had gained admission started waning. Seun comes from a family of five. His mother is a small-scale trader, while his father works as a tricycle rider.

Not coming from a rich home is a big problem. The country’s economy is not smiling at us, and my parents cannot afford to pay such an amount with the little money they see,” Seun told FIJ.

If the university management does not reduce the fee, I don’t think I can attend school this year or in the next two years. I may have to say goodbye to education.”

‘MY PARENTS STILL THINK IT IS A JOKE’
Ruth (not real name), another fresh student unhappy about the increment, told FIJ that her parents thought the university management was joking when they heard the news.

“Everyone is shocked and disturbed by the increment. My parents still think they are joking. They don’t believe it yet and have been complaining about it. The increase is too much,” said Ruth.

“The school should pity our parents who are struggling. Some students are the ones sponsoring themselves. Where does UI expect them to get that amount of money?

UI is not a private or state university. It is a federal university, so school fees should be affordable. Even if there is a hike, it should not be this much. I request that UI consider us and our parents and reduce the school fees.

Ruth is optimistic that her parents can afford her school fees. “We will surely be able to afford it by God’s grace,” she told FIJ.

Some returning students are nursing the fear that the management would also increase their school fees.

“It is possible that they also increase the school fees for returning students. Talks about an increment have been on for a while,” a student of UI who pleaded anonymity told FIJ.

STUDENTS’ UNION REACTS

The university’s student union condemned the increment in a press release obtained by FIJ, signed by Samson Tobiloba, the president of the university’s student union, and Olaniyi Sodeeq Dolapo, the union’s general secretary.

“We note with concerns that this increment represents about 450-750% of the previous bundle fee, ranging from N20,000 to 30,000. This is coming at a period when several students are finding it hard to cope with the current fee regime and the increased cost of living in the country,” part of the statement reads.

“The union condemns this increment in strong terms and requests that this proposed increment be reverted to the status quo.

“We are equally requesting a meeting with the university management to resolve this issue.”

When FIJ called Tobiloba on Sunday, he said that the meeting was yet to be held.

“We are still in the process, and the meeting has not been held. We are hoping that it will be held on Monday,” said Tobiloba.

https://fij.ng/article/i-may-have-to-say-goodbye-to-education-ui-students-lament-450-750-fee-hike/

3 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by God1000(m): 5:55pm On Apr 17
This is too much, many families cannot afford it, people are struggling to eat and our universities are busy increasing school fees

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by enigma0: 5:59pm On Apr 17
The increment was way too much. Freshers don't pay up to 100k sef... e be things for this Tinubu regime shocked
a lot would have to forfeit admission if it isn't reversed, many go turn to cybercrime and other vices

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by fnep2smooth(m): 6:16pm On Apr 17
They can apply for the student loan.... That what the president said we should do.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Angelfrost(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17
When I said it on Nairaland, many of you abused me...!

Tertiary education is now officially for the wealthy.

Even student loan can never reach up to 20% of those that need it.

If the loan administrators are as smart as I think or expect them to be, they will have no choice but restrict the loans to those studying lucrative and profitable courses like Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, etc.

The idea being they are the ones with certainty of repaying them with interest few years after graduating.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by sylve11: 6:24pm On Apr 17
Make them kukuma kill the students. sad cool

18 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by DeltaBachelor(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17
Quite unfortunate

11 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Akeem79(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17
T for .....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by GOFRONT(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17
School na scam.

1 Like

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Tjra: 6:25pm On Apr 17
UI, let the poor breathe.

8 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Caspry5: 6:25pm On Apr 17
Its better to learn a digital skill or physical skillset with the money meant for your fees. I wish i did this 7 years ago. Regardless on this mandate we stand grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Orlu13: 6:25pm On Apr 17
Emilocorn on d beat...by the time opolo eyes is done with u guys, Yemen will be a child's play

from d stables of Unago C shege cheesy

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by WakeUpNigerians: 6:25pm On Apr 17
Tinubulation.......

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by obaidan: 6:25pm On Apr 17
u can say goodbye to university education but NEVER GOODBYE TO EDUACTION. You will regret it.

4 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Mystery2020: 6:25pm On Apr 17
Where were the stupid students when ASUU went on strike for better funding of Universities? They were all insulting lecturers. Thank God I have gotten my own degrees. Enjoy your increment.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Nazgul: 6:25pm On Apr 17
Reno is on Twitter barking like a dog on heat over the Naira appreciation whilst turning a blind eye on other challenges Nigerians are going through.

The reality here is that the students would be advised to apply for student loan.

So how sustainable would the loan scheme be considering that almost every student would be struggling to access it. As most of them are living in abject poverty.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by reccy(m): 6:25pm On Apr 17
Honestly, this is contrary to what we obtain in FUTminna. Up till now, Futmites are paying 60k for fresher's and #39,900 for returning students.
How they manage to keep going with this meagre needs to be studied considering what other institutions are paying.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by ZombieTAMER: 6:25pm On Apr 17
undecided

Tinubu strikes again

7 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by obicoolnino: 6:26pm On Apr 17
And you keep wondering why there is increase in cyber crime...if they eventually pull out, next line of action is crime.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Ofunaofu: 6:26pm On Apr 17
“If the university management does not reduce the fee, I don’t think I can attend school this year or in the next two years. I may have to say goodbye to education.”

We are being told that the Tinubu regime has provided student loans, the first of its kind in the history of this nation. Nothing can be compared to it, not even the Obafemi Awolowo free education philosophy, which was encapsulated in the below quote.

“Every Nigerian citizen must be educated at public expense to the limits of his natural ability, to enable him to be in the finest possible state to produce the utmost he is capable of” Chief Obafemi Awolowo, 1955.

Tinubu's student loan scheme is a momentous achievement.

3 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by labake1(f): 6:26pm On Apr 17
Tinubu don remove subsidy on education. People don dey miss Bubu

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by ddippset(m): 6:26pm On Apr 17
This one, does it fall under renewed hope or renewed shege?

Whish one??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Musauzor(m): 6:26pm On Apr 17
Tinubu- inspired greed has permeated the whole fabric of our society

9 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by stevnwigw1: 6:26pm On Apr 17
Can every student in Nigeria student loan?

4 Likes

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by AnoNeeMouz: 6:27pm On Apr 17
Some fuuls will come here and say education is not cheap in europe and america as if we getting same standards
Always defending nonsense

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by opamoses1: 6:27pm On Apr 17
Orlu13:
Emilocorn on d beat...by the time opolo eyes is done with u guys, Yemen will be a child's play

from d stables of Unago C shege cheesy

Offpoint1:
Bulaba fans will say "Education is not cheap anywhere in the world"

Same shege Peter Obi showed Anambra students when he declared that education in Anambra was not for the poor after increasing school fees.
👇👇👇

Education Is Not For The Poor – Peter Obi On School Fees Hike in 2006 and 2012

In 2006, Obi made a declarative statement that education is not for the poor. He forced Anambra secondary school students to pay three terms (first, second and third term) school fees at once. Many of the pupils from less-privileged homes dropped out of school. You may need to verify how this policy of his impacted negatively on school enrolment the following session.

Following a weekend declaration of his plan to purportedly “give Nigeria back to youths”, a comment that has drawn criticism as ‘dubious’ and a ploy to ‘hand Nigeria to IPOB’, the former Anambra Governor has faced fierce pushback from young Nigerians on social media, including Twitter, where several of his policies that negatively affected youths whilst in charge of Anambra have been highlighted.

Chigozirim, one of the young Nigerians who reacted on Twitter, dismissed Obi’s youth-friendly posture with a comment referencing his fee hike as Anambra Governor and glib justification that “education is not meant for the poor.”

He said: “The man who increased the Tuition fees of Anambra State University from 65,000 to 119,000 for Non-Professional Courses and 230,000 for Professional Courses. And when he was confronted, he said “Education is not for the Poor”

Similar reactions trailed Peter Obi’s comment, with some young indigenes of Anambra state recounting how his administration’s exclusive focus on profit extraction drove young residents of the state to the margins, unable to afford basic amenities.

Indeed, under Peter Obi, poverty rose in Anambra state from 20% in 2004 to 68% in 2010, marking a 238% deterioration according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS). In a popular OP-ED, incumbent Governor of the State, Prof. Soludo, described the effects of Obi’s management as “the democratization of poverty – mass impoverishment of the people of Anambra.”

https://podiumreporters.com/index.php/2022/08/15/education-is-not-meant-for-the-poor-peter-obi/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by seunlayi(m): 6:27pm On Apr 17
Tinubu
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Offpoint1: 6:27pm On Apr 17
Bulaba fans will say "Education is not cheap anywhere in the world"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Ijaya123: 6:27pm On Apr 17
He should apply for student loan. Lack of funds should not be an excuse not to get I I resort education anymore in Nigeria.

That’s Tinubu legacy.
Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by lowkey0147: 6:27pm On Apr 17
I thought the whole schools in South_Wastes are free education to any level 😊, hunger is really ravaging that region o 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Iseoluwani: 6:28pm On Apr 17
what is wrong with FG SEF, people are about applauding u about what u are doing to d dollar only to do this nonsense

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: University Of Ibadan Students Lament 450–750% Fee Hike by Seyi4mi(m): 6:28pm On Apr 17
Indeed, this is astonishing and dangerous too.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moyib Ayomide Adetola, TASUED Best Graduating Student 2017 (Photo) / Osun State Government Shuts Schools Indefinitely / House Of Reps To Honour Ayodele Daniel Dada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.