Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,446 members, 7,843,368 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free (5516 Views)

Who Recommended This Textbook To Students - PHOTO / State Of Osun To Send 50 Graduates To Germany / Lasu To Students: Pay Up Today Or Forfeit Admission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by HyeBits: 10:15am On Nov 19, 2011
The problem with majority of you here is that, you don't know how technology shape future of a nation if used in knowledge driven context.
@ ekt_bear, I know why you sound like this, because you see computer and IT as tool for recreation. Mind you if use for mind recreation it will shape a nation. Take Singapore as case study, you may include South-Korea as extension if you care.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by ayex0001: 10:38am On Nov 19, 2011
Get free downloading codes, how to generate recharge card nombas, how to hack and crack, how to be a real programmer in minutes, secrets and the legit ways of making online all on
www . naijatechzone . com
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by Reference(m): 10:39am On Nov 19, 2011
Ekt, I'm not too sure I agree with you here. Its expensive stuff no doubt but view a computer as a high tech containment vessel for knowledge. Schools can then provide books and prepare materials electronically for students at far cheaper costs than hard copies or photocopies.

The reading culture is ebbing worldwide and not just in Nigeria being fast replaced by audio-visuals so this seamlessly fits in.

My only concern is the lack of supporting infrastructure like security, power but hey if those laptops are given in the form of a scholarship to the serious and proficient, I'm sure they will be guarded jealously and used optimally. They shouldn't be given to just anybody. Afterall though education is compulsory, the depth, extent and sophistication must vary to create a balanced society.

It is not wrong. And the fact that you have schools without roofs doesn't mean you should not invest at the top end as well.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by Funkymallam(m): 10:51am On Nov 19, 2011
Where is this money coming frm, tot Osun state is not too bouyant?
I stant wit ekr_ on this one, this is a sure misplaced priority. The schs r still under developed and u r planning to dash laptops.

Mark my word, this will not see d light of d day
Nigerian politicians n dia stunts!
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by skfa1: 10:54am On Nov 19, 2011
skfa1:

Ok i agree with you here but do it this way,make computer available  in every class and library,not just the, create username and password for each student. Student in their class can login with their username and password,do their work,save it and logout.Student can aswell continue their assignment at home  using their laptop and can also make use of the VLE from home aswell. Provide a printer in every class so that students can print out their assignments and project but assign to each student account the total number of printout per semester. Scrap Jamb,scrap poly jamb! from WAEC to year 1 or level 3 certificate for students that didnt have merit in their WAEC. Scrap F9 or fail,last grade should be pass not to destroy some people future,atleast with pass they can still do some certain jobs and bring up a family. Award BSc in Poly,college and Uni. Create certificate course starting level 1 to level 7. Mode of assessment should be assignments portfolio and practical  in some courses, so that students can know what they are doing instead of just writing exam at the end of the semester that is why some gradute dont know what to do when it comes to working in the office or other places. Each student knowing what to do in their studies should be their lecturers target. Dont over populate a class.E.t.c.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by ektbear: 11:19am On Nov 19, 2011
I don't think K-12 education is something that needs individualized laptops.

While I had my own PC in high school and college, I'd have done just fine w/o one.

In fact in college I did a lot of my academic work on the machines in the computer labs, just because they had certain software that I didn't have on my computer.

In high school I only used my computer for writing essays, or typing up essays I'd written by hand (at least for academic stuff.)

And I'm a guy in my mid 20s, not someone who finished high school in the 70s or something.

You really don't need a laptop. Unless you write for a living (e.g., you are a programmer.)
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by daphil: 11:48am On Nov 19, 2011
As for me, I will go with Ektbear! It would have been better those computers were desktops and provided in the central labs where every student can have access to. If you provide 150k laptops for some students now, what happens to the rest and the subsequent generations? Sensuo stricto, it isn't beneficial to all.
I can confidently tell you that less than 50 percent of that laptops will get to the real students while the rest will go to ghost students courtesy corrupt govt officials.
This is purely misplaced priority and waste of resources!
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by Sike(m): 12:37pm On Nov 19, 2011
alj_harem:

IS IT A MAN THAT HAS NOT PAID THE WORKERS SALARY IS THE ONE BUYING 150,000 LAPTOPS TO BE SHARED

Haba this is not good enough

I rather see him pay the salaries then buy the laptops which the students would not use
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by doctokwus: 12:53pm On Nov 19, 2011
Computer that is not internet ready,what's d essence.
There is anoda thread where d same state govt is said to av saved N20b in a year alone.I don't know what ogbeni aregbesola is tryin to achieve wt all this his propaganda but it doesn't reduce frm his incompetence
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by passyjango(m): 1:21pm On Nov 19, 2011
I think this should signal a red alert at EFCC. Certain questions needs to be answered first,

1) Who owns the company or group of companies that will be responsible for importing and supplying the laptops?

2) By how much are the prices of the laptops inflated above market price?

Answering these questions, will enable us determine the true purpose of the laptops. Is it to boost education in Osun or to boost the economic condition of members of the Osun state ruling class?
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by kunlekunle: 2:03pm On Nov 19, 2011
Even at the university level, for most courses of study you don't really need to own a computer

i dont agree with you
it is an essential tool for everyone. not students only

be specific, which courses
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by manny4life(m): 3:47pm On Nov 19, 2011
150,000 Laptops? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Wait, let's do a simple math, assuming an average laptop is $400, add taxes, shipping and Nigerian taxes bring to $480.

150,000 x $480 = $72million, shocked shocked shocked shocked

Damn, $72million can go a long way in building at least 4 modern up-to-date electronic libraries in the state, state-of-the-art computerized learning center, and the list goes on.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by Pharoh: 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2011
We need libraries and computer labs which is more better than individual laptops that would not cover 20 percent of the student population.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by jetisco4u(m): 5:03pm On Nov 19, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if Nigerians problem is Poverty or some people are just not informed. A university graduate can not write a simple programme even in outdated computer language. Meanwhile a ten year old student will do that in developed countries. There is actually nothing wrong teaching a child computer even from infancy.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by freepeople: 8:33pm On Nov 19, 2011
I expect a yahoo boom in Osun undecided
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by tlops(m): 6:35pm On Nov 20, 2011
the problem of Nigeria will not be solved by handling out cash, but by creating value and valuable systems.
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by godman01(m): 12:02am On Nov 21, 2011
I thought it was going to the university students. Mstweew
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by ektbear: 1:45am On Nov 21, 2011
tlops:

the problem of Nigeria will not be solved by handling out cash, but by creating value and valuable systems.

yep
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by MARKREN: 11:45am On Nov 21, 2011
I hate to say this but I agree with @ekt_bear position on this.

This is a scam just like the one commited by Akala when he decided to buy Textbooks for students,
Re: Osun To Distribute 150,000 Laptops To Students Free by rolchi(m): 3:53pm On Nov 21, 2011
grin grin grin I dey laugh in OBJ style grin grin grin

Ogbeni and his "political" statements. ACN should call this man to order oh!

(1) (2) (Reply)

NBTE Restores Abia Polytechnic's Accreditation / Why Are Some Countries Poor When Their Central Bank Can Print Money? / 40-yr-old Female Teacher Caught Pleading For Sex, Sending Nudes To Her Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.