Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Fifa's Blatter is a racist . - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa's Blatter is a racist . (954 Views)

Sepp Blatter Is Seeking A Fifth Term As FIFA Boss / Every One Agrees Blatter Is Daft And An Idiot! / Sepp Blatter Is Daft! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fifa's Blatter is a racist . by panafrican(m): 3:15am On Nov 19, 2011

Blatter denies racism in football

Page last updated at 19:19 GMT, Wednesday, 16 November 2011  BBC

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said football does not have a problem with racism on the field and any incidents should be settled by a handshake.

The Football Association is probing two cases of alleged racism in England.

"There is no racism [on the field], but maybe there is a word or gesture that is not correct," Blatter told CNN. "The one affected by this should say this is a game and shake hands."

The 75-year-old later said his comments had been misunderstood.

Sepp Blatter's gaffes
When John Terry was stripped of the England captaincy in 2010 following an alleged affair, Blatter suggested the player would be "applauded" in Latin countries.

Asked whether he thought racism on the pitch was a problem, Blatter told CNN World Sport: "I would deny it. There is no racism

Blatter's comments provoked immediate reaction, with England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand tweeting: "Tell me I have just read Sepp Blatter's comments on racism in football wrong, if not then I am astonished."

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live, former Tottenham Hotspur striker Garth Crooks was equally critical of Blatter's remarks.

"Clearly Sepp Blatter is a man who's never suffered from racism," he said. "I'm shocked and somewhat dismayed."

This is one of Sepp Blatter's worst gaffes, without a doubt. On the day that Blatter says there is no racism in football, the FA has charged Luis Suarez with just that. The FA is taking a tough stance on racism and this could lead to a lengthy ban, potentially. If someone is found guilty of racial abuse the FA will, I'm sure, throw the book at them.

Piara Powar, executive director of the Football Against Racism in Europe network, also condemned Blatter's comments.

"You just don't expect the world leader of football to be coming out with comments that seem ill-thought-out, [and] insensitive," he said.

"To say that something as serious as racial abuse between players can be settled with a handshake is incorrect and not the sort of thing footballers at an amateur level, at a pro level - at any level - will want to hear from football's leader."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15757165.stm
Re: Fifa's Blatter is a racist . by AfroBlue(m): 5:24pm On Nov 19, 2011
Sepp Blatter apologises for comments about racism in football but insists he will not resign
Fifa president Sepp Blatter insists he will not step down from his position after apologising for remarks he made about racism in football and says he remains committed to reforming the scandal-wracked organisation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/8898494/Sepp-Blatter-apologises-for-comments-about-racism-in-football-but-insists-he-will-not-resign.html

Sepp Blatter says sorry for comments on racism

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15782265.stm

(1) (Reply)

Is This Real ? / Usain Bolt, The Main Attraction At Manchester United Game / Caf Disqualify Heartland F.C

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.