Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,004 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions (29595 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by essentialone(m): 4:49am On Apr 23
Chesster:

What's this nonsense you keep posting

😂
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Tallesty1(m): 4:49am On Apr 23
Nazgul:
I honestly do not support this. So if a child graduates from secondary school at 15 and clears his/her WAEC. What the government is telling us is that if the child's parents cannot afford a private school, the child would stay idle at home for 3 years before giving university education a shot.

That's like delaying the academic advancement of that child. Very bad if you ask me.

And for the records, I finished my secondary education at the age of 15.
And somebody somewhere will not employ you if you don't have 10yrs experience at the age of 25
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by 2023Blessed: 4:57am On Apr 23
ogascomax:

You will never know how it affected you. You are just being sentimental here. Even in developed societies children are not rushed over there. It's the same system of education but short cut has always be our problem here.
I am almost through with my PhD now. Pray tell, how did it affect me?
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by 2023Blessed: 4:59am On Apr 23
pek:
You are a classic example of the rut in our system. You circumnavigated the system and you are so proud of yourself. 6334 was put in place for a reason. Educationists and technocrats formulated the policy for a reason. You graduated at 18 right? That means you started university on or before 14. How many years did you spend in secondary school? How old were you when you started primary school?
Okay Sir. I am now almost through with my PhD with over 12 years of work experience in addition. Kindly explain how my graduating in my teenage years contributed to the rot in the system.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by erospecial: 5:04am On Apr 23
IsbDG reasonable?
Is it not say FG and employers that made recruitment age 25yrs and below?
In Nigeria with irresponsible FG and ASUU, when we one graduates, does NYSC and still falls within 25yrs to qualify for Nigeria's employable age requirement?
FG is very wayward and dumb!!!
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by olaadenigeria(m): 5:11am On Apr 23
Nazgul:
I honestly do not support this. So if a child graduates from secondary school at 15 and clears his/her WAEC. What the government is telling us is that if the child's parents cannot afford a private school, the child would stay idle at home for 3 years before giving university education a shot.

That's like delaying the academic advancement of that child. Very bad if you ask me.

And for the records, I finished my secondary education at the age of 15.
That is the initial standard before deviation due to the parents pressure.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Image123(m): 5:14am On Apr 23
This is just an act on the spur of the moment, not well thought out. There's nothing here justifying the decision. What does it mean to be in line with 6-3-3-4? You can follow 6-3-3-4 either you are 15 years old or 20 years old.
If anything, act on the music and media industry and influence. As per academics, even 15 year olds can cope if given the right environment. We have people with their masters and settling down already at 20 in different parts of the world.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Image123(m): 5:17am On Apr 23
olaadenigeria:

That is the initial standard before deviation due to the parents pressure.

The so called standard is not scriptures or sacrosanct. They need to look at the world around them. The students scoring so high in JAMB and WAEC, are they only 18 year olds? No, we have 15 and 16 year olds among them. School maturity and seriousness is not really a matter of age these days but largely background and company.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Fuckyoumod: 5:18am On Apr 23
Mercury12:
Hmmm good one.
I only fear desperate parents that would go extra mile to manipulate their child age 15,16,17 go turn 18 with with just another falsified birth certificate. undecided
I doubt this new law would work.
Nigerians are experts in age falsification.
can you hear yourself?

A man that comes from a place where education is a crime, a man that comes from the most uneducated region in Nigeria is make educational laws for a region that is growing in academic excellence.

Why should a man coming from the north of all places, a place that is educationally backward, a place where they can't pass exams and rely on quota system to gain admission into tertiary education make educational laws for you.

No be mumu you be so?
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by olaadenigeria(m): 5:18am On Apr 23
Good development if well enforced. It is this generation that I will see parents traveling with their wards to write jamb, waec and even Post jamb. Infant, payment of acceptance/school fees are being done by parents. Tertiary is for adults (18+) .
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by chukwuma234: 5:26am On Apr 23
2023Blessed:
Rubbish policy. Allow them to graduate young and add value to the system while their brains are still very active.

I graduated from the University at 18 and I have never regretted it for a day. It took me several years to get my first full-time job that I was truly satisfied with. So government ought to factor that also.

You want to waste their productive years in a country where employers will be asking for 4 years work experience at 22.

Ignorant statement. So the countries you want to emulate (US, UK etc) that mandates you must be 18 before tertiary.education are idiots right? No employer ask for 4yrs experience from fresh grads. There are graduate roles

angry sad
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by olaadenigeria(m): 5:46am On Apr 23
Image123:

The so called standard is not scriptures or sacrosanct. They need to look at the world around them. The students scoring so high in JAMB and WAEC, are they only 18 year olds? No, we have 15 and 16 year olds among them. School maturity and seriousness is not really a matter of age these days but largely background and company.
If the brilliancy used to score higher marks in jamb not waec is channeled into skill acquisition within the time to make up 18, then such student will be excellent during and after tertiary institution
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by zeyt: 6:02am On Apr 23
Every idiot in Tunibu government will.just wake up in morning sip a tea and just come up with stupid idea without due consultation.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by JERRY1925(m): 6:19am On Apr 23
HBB1:

If you are not smart, do you expect other people's lives to follow the same trajectory as yours?

Congratulations smart man.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Nazgul: 6:28am On Apr 23
Tallesty1:
And somebody somewhere will not employ you if you don't have 10yrs experience at the age of 25
Lol...welcome to Nigeria.

I use to tell myself that all my kids would finish secondary school at 15, gain admission into the university at 16, graduate at 20 and finish service at 21.

By 22 they should be gainfully employed. I hate unnecessary delays.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Nazgul: 6:32am On Apr 23
sammirano:
That child should use the 3 years to acquire a standard skill before going to the uni.
Lol...how many kids who finished second education at 15 learned any skill by the time they got to 18 aside paying video games and pressing phones.

They're kids, they don't yet understand the need to develop themselves so as to become financially responsible. That's why you as a parent are there to guide them in order to ensure that they get the best education.

1 Like

Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by idris4r83(m): 6:33am On Apr 23
2023Blessed:
Yes, in Nigeria. I went to a Federal University in the North East
at what age did u finished secondary school?
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Paraman: 6:36am On Apr 23
Lastanza:

He said university and not unity school. Admission into university is a national thing through JAMB and even the unity schools you are talking about should be a national thing also
There's quota system in federal university too
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by CrownLands(m): 6:38am On Apr 23
Totally disagree.
What happens to "academically gifted" children below 18years.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Amumaigwe: 6:46am On Apr 23
Adenugay:

People's Gazette: https://gazettengr.com/fg-sets-18-years-as-minimum-entry-age-into-tertiary-institutions

Of all ridiculous policies of this administration, this one is the gold medalist. This is a country where employers set a maximum age of 21 years for their entry level applicants or 23 years with MSc. These guys will leave the main issue driving this marathon race among pupils, which is to beat that stringent cut off age and are chasing shadows.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by sabay: 6:50am On Apr 23
Mercury12:
Hmmm good one.
I only fear desperate parents that would go extra mile to manipulate their child age 15,16,17 go turn 18 with with just another falsified birth certificate. undecided
I doubt this new law would work.
Nigerians are experts in age falsification.

With NIN, that can be checkmated but my cross with this is these elites will send there 14/15 children abroad to study in universities.
What have they (FG et al) provided for skills acquisition.
17 years will be better...
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Diligence: 6:50am On Apr 23
This is retrogressive. We all cannot be operating on the same pace!

Consequences: Nigeria will lose more students & forex to other universities across the world!

Na who dey advise APC?

Anyway, this MUST NOT FLY!
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Rejoice28(f): 6:59am On Apr 23
Friends Jesus Christ loves y'all and he want you to accept him as your personal lord and saviour by giving your life to Christ, believing in him and repenting of your sins.remember tomorrow might be too late. Shalom
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by samomoli: 7:00am On Apr 23
Some people are just funny . How will one support this kind of policy. When we have children with exceptional cases who do very well in school. Many of these leaders who pass out these policies bought their certificates but are quick to deprive innocent students. I only pity students from poor family who could not afford private universities.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by 2023Blessed: 7:00am On Apr 23
chukwuma234:
Provide evidence to prove that UK and USA pegs the minimum entry age into public varsities at 18.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by HBB1(m): 7:11am On Apr 23
JERRY1925:

Congratulations smart man.

Thanks!

I know people who finished medical school at 21 and became Consultants at 29...

In that same Nigeria.

Are we all made equal?
So if someone is good enough, you rather they wasted their time and abilities?

Is that not stupidity and wickedness?

So they want an average Student to sit JAMB at 18...
Some will still need to write it 2 or 3 times to get their course of choice.

Remember, duration of courses range from 4-6 years, with no ASUU strike or carry overs.
(Let's just put it at 5 years on average and add 1 year for strike)

Then there is NYSC, where for no fault of the individual, you can miss going for service with your mates.

So 18+5+1, makes the average graduate 24 when he enters the labour market.

24!
If there were any other issues, you can be 28.

Also, only 30% will be gainfully employed while the others will waste a few more years trying to find their feet.

Some will decide on masters or travelling abroad and will have to start over again.

Before you know it, you are a 30 year old graduate, just starting life.

It is a stupid law and anybody supporting it is stupid too!

Pat Utomi finished Uni at 21 and soon became a government adviser
El Rufai finished Uni at 19 (or thereabouts) and founded his Company at 22.
He also made his first million at 24.

In this same Nigeria.

We had Army Lieutenants and Captains in their early 20s in this same Country.
So I cannot understand your very myopic opinion.

Is there not more to life than wasting precious time in school?

...Or are your dreams small?
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Ihenzy(m): 7:22am On Apr 23
tnerro1:
Why not make addmission to university uniform. Why will some from the north get 80 out of 400 get admitted while some from the south with 150 can’t get admitted.
There is no such thing when it comes to university.
No dey yarn dust
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by Tonytonex(m): 7:36am On Apr 23
That's good.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by commoditiesnig: 7:37am On Apr 23
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by thesicilian: 7:43am On Apr 23
tctrills:

And why should government dictate the age you go to school?
It is the job of the government to make sure her citizens are not left at the mercy of the greedy capitalists (who will do anything for money including allowing a 4yr old child to begin school and any level the parents want as long as they can pay well) and even protect the children from the parents themselves (nowadays because the parents are "busy" they don't mind sending a 6 months old infant off to kindergarten with the resultant effect that by the time that child is 3-4yrs old he is already through with nursery without understanding anything and ready to begin primary.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by israelmao(m): 7:47am On Apr 23
This is like killing talent to me because there are exceptionally gifted children,I mean the prodigy infants whose brilliance are far beyond their ages.
Re: FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions by travelzcruix: 8:20am On Apr 23
Headquarters of confusion, e no go better for who form this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Invade Rivers State University, Cart Away ATM, Shuttle Bus / Is This Fee Not Outrageous? (UNICAL Med Lab 4th Year) / The Rise And Fall Of Foreign Second Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.