Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,313 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job (21842 Views)

How To Find A Well Paying Remote Jobs Globally / How To Get A High Paying Job In 4 Months In Nigeria / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by solacong: 11:29am On May 06
Very shameful network thing, i can't even get 6mpbs to run an exam this morning, more like they usually shut down some of their network stations over the weekend, 2G for 4G networks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by AlbertoIancu: 11:29am On May 06
Hermanie:
OP sorry for your experience. I believe you have learned skills you can use for other remote jobs. Don't give up please. On the other hand I am starting a tech blog in about a month's time. If you're interested in working with me as a writer, please send a dm. The salary won't be much. Above 100k + data allowance because we're just starting.

Hi, I am an experienced writer and would love to work with you. Several samples of my work will be made available to you at your request. I have sent a request to your E-mail.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MoreTech(m): 11:29am On May 06
@pocohantas, your message is so encouraging. Pls, can i talk to you privately my email is lawalmusibau@ymail.com. Thanks

pocohantas:
The challenges are many. Most remote workers have gone through different of these challenges. I once got to the final stage and they ghosted me. Normally I would ignore, but I persisted because I knew I did well. The man told me it is because I am Nigerian in Nigeria and the job requires high ethics.

Meaning: Nigerians are unethical. grin

Just keep it moving. It is a game of numbers. You keep applying for many and not dwell on one loss. Many days I cried. I will dump my laptop and a few days later I pick it up again. I guess it was easier for me because I had a good job and support system (friends, family and lover rooting for me). So I wasn't jobless or hungry. I just needed more and I knew my 6-digit 9to5 wouldn't give me what I wanted in the next few years.

It was also supposed to be a second source of income, but when I got an offer that trumped my 9to5 over-and-over-and-over. I resigned.

I went through your stage in 2021. Peaked in 2022. Struck gold in 2023. In fact, I had to go back to ask my firm's co-founder why he picked me (A Nigerian) out of numerous applicants and he said "GUT FEELING, you came off as someone willing to learn/work and your CV wasn't bogus". Today I don't remember the days of crying and disappointment. My own is to enjoy life. Remote work completely changed my life and I genuinely wish it for those who desire it.

That said, na who giveup lose.

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by CooldipoMPS: 11:30am On May 06
Sorry about the experience, i pray you emerge stronger. Consider it a learning curve. Should you need a power solution for your laptop and workspace, consider reaching out to Cooldipomps when the dust settles as the have the right power solution that meets your need with possible solar charging option
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:30am On May 06
Sorry for you went through. If failures full your way, find a good wife and marry, the failure will either go or be minimized.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mavor: 11:31am On May 06
stagger:

Pick yourself up and continue trying. Are you not a man? Stop whining!

I lost a $5000/month after getting to the final stage where it was just me and one other European guy as the top two candidates. The CEO said he wanted a white face for the job (recruiter told me this in confidence later) and that was it.

Did the world end for me? We move!
LIES!!! No CEO would openly admit this even to a recruiter, for fear of getting sued. Make una slow down with the lies for these kind thread.

3 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:32am On May 06
Get anxiety drugs beside you, e get why! I pray you jam another job but make sure you got two networks this time around.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:35am On May 06
When you were about to enter the last lap that will bring about your breakthrough is the time network decide to glitch.
This is nothing more but the work of village pipu.
The crazy witches and the village pipu operating in atmosphere and airwaves of this country. God will never forgive them.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by occfx: 11:39am On May 06
BucketMan:
I don't know if some of you might remember this thread i made https://www.nairaland.com/8006821/should-go-masters-degree-remai where i contemplated going for a masters degree instead of remaining jobless at home. Well after assimilating all the advice i got from that thread, i decided to kill two birds with one stone and apply for the masters degree while also getting a laptop to start an online business in writing and copywriting which is where my passion lies.

Shortly after i got the laptop i found a creative writing opportunity via reddit and applied. One of the requirements for the job was to have a really fast typing speed (minimum of 60 words per minute). I just got my laptop so my typing speed was really slow but i resolved to increase it by practicing daily for a month and i grew from 35wpm to 62wpm which the job required.

That was just the beginning, the recruitment process for the job was done through a platform called Discord and they had a specific writing style that they wanted to inculcate in the applicants via daily trainings after which you will have to pass some exams. I started actively training for about a month and felt i was confident enough to take the intro exam, which i did and performed excellently so i moved on to the last stage.

Now this is where things got kind of complicated because this last stage required me to share my laptop screen in real time, kinda like a video call and prepare creative writing scripts for different scenarios that will be provided also in real time. The session was supervised by the recruiters and would last for 4 hours. I was fully locked in and confident in all that i had already learnt from training, However, the time for the test came and i was given a resource to download that i would use in writing these scripts. After downloading, setting it up on my laptop and then hopping on the live video call with the supervisors, i could not for the life of me get it to run efficiently, it was extremely slow and kept giving me a connection error feedback, I use MTN 4G and can't believe that the network chose that moment to start acting up. I still don't know if the real culprit is my laptop (2017 hp elitebook) or MTN network but after i switched to 3g and tried to hop back on the call to apologize to the supervisors for having a network glitch, i realized they had already blocked me, so i wasn't even given a chance to showcase my skills and this is what pains me most.

This is the reason that was given: "poor internet on a remote job, i'm sorry but it cannot work".

I'm so devastated, all the effort, time and resources invested into becoming a perfect fit for the job has been washed away in a blink. Now, i'm back home in my mom's house, in shame and defeat, with less than #1k to my name having used all my savings to get the laptop and for data subscriptions. I'm just lost on what to do right now, i have been admitted but i can't even go for the masters i applied for anymore and i was thinking to myself that even though i had gotten the job, how would i have kept up with the 8 hours per shift work schedule when there is very epileptic power supply where i live.

Is success still possible in Nigeria for those that are still struggling? or are we all doomed to fail again and again, especially for those of us looking to succeed online. I'm 26 atm and i don't know how long this will continue, it's just like all the forces of nature are working against me being rich and successful. Where can i find the motivation to search for something else to do in order to be productive when everything always ends in failure? is there even anything else to do?

Sorry for the long post, just thought i should share my experience and this is like the only platform that i can vent due to not really having anyone to talk to irl.

Nigeria happened to you
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by fitinwell: 11:43am On May 06
BucketMan:
I don't know if some of you might remember this thread i made https://www.nairaland.com/8006821/should-go-masters-degree-remai where i contemplated going for a masters degree instead of remaining jobless at home. Well after assimilating all the advice i got from that thread, i decided to kill two birds with one stone and apply for the masters degree while also getting a laptop to start an online business in writing and copywriting which is where my passion lies.

Shortly after i got the laptop i found a creative writing opportunity via reddit and applied. One of the requirements for the job was to have a really fast typing speed (minimum of 60 words per minute). I just got my laptop so my typing speed was really slow but i resolved to increase it by practicing daily for a month and i grew from 35wpm to 62wpm which the job required.

That was just the beginning, the recruitment process for the job was done through a platform called Discord and they had a specific writing style that they wanted to inculcate in the applicants via daily trainings after which you will have to pass some exams. I started actively training for about a month and felt i was confident enough to take the intro exam, which i did and performed excellently so i moved on to the last stage.

Now this is where things got kind of complicated because this last stage required me to share my laptop screen in real time, kinda like a video call and prepare creative writing scripts for different scenarios that will be provided also in real time. The session was supervised by the recruiters and would last for 4 hours. I was fully locked in and confident in all that i had already learnt from training, However, the time for the test came and i was given a resource to download that i would use in writing these scripts. After downloading, setting it up on my laptop and then hopping on the live video call with the supervisors, i could not for the life of me get it to run efficiently, it was extremely slow and kept giving me a connection error feedback, I use MTN 4G and can't believe that the network chose that moment to start acting up. I still don't know if the real culprit is my laptop (2017 hp elitebook) or MTN network but after i switched to 3g and tried to hop back on the call to apologize to the supervisors for having a network glitch, i realized they had already blocked me, so i wasn't even given a chance to showcase my skills and this is what pains me most.

This is the reason that was given: "poor internet on a remote job, i'm sorry but it cannot work".

I'm so devastated, all the effort, time and resources invested into becoming a perfect fit for the job has been washed away in a blink. Now, i'm back home in my mom's house, in shame and defeat, with less than #1k to my name having used all my savings to get the laptop and for data subscriptions. I'm just lost on what to do right now, i have been admitted but i can't even go for the masters i applied for anymore and i was thinking to myself that even though i had gotten the job, how would i have kept up with the 8 hours per shift work schedule when there is very epileptic power supply where i live.

Is success still possible in Nigeria for those that are still struggling? or are we all doomed to fail again and again, especially for those of us looking to succeed online. I'm 26 atm and i don't know how long this will continue, it's just like all the forces of nature are working against me being rich and successful. Where can i find the motivation to search for something else to do in order to be productive when everything always ends in failure? is there even anything else to do?

Sorry for the long post, just thought i should share my experience and this is like the only platform that i can vent due to not really having anyone to talk to irl.

You are not alone.., on this journey

Just don't give up on yourself.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mattiegold: 11:47am On May 06
Na who give up Bleep up....keep pushing ok. When it's your time everything will fall in place.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by CuteNbad(m): 11:49am On May 06
Hermanie:
OP sorry for your experience. I believe you have learned skills you can use for other remote jobs. Don't give up please. On the other hand I am starting a tech blog in about a month's time. If you're interested in working with me as a writer, please send a dm. The salary won't be much. Above 100k + data allowance because we're just starting.
I'm interested
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by 123yes(m): 11:50am On May 06
N stNigeria Services providers networks is terrible. Very slow like snails.it affects every one doing online business in Nigeria. Some networks like Airtel or 9 mobil can stay with out network for weeks.
The best online business to be is forex trading or boom and crash. You can be making money Allday if you understand the techniques behind it.
You can start forex trading with only $10 and grow it over a period of time. Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by nams77: 11:50am On May 06
pocohantas:
The challenges are many. Most remote workers have gone through different of these challenges. I once got to the final stage and they ghosted me. Normally I would ignore, but I persisted because I knew I did well. The man told me it is because I am Nigerian in Nigeria and the job requires high ethics.

Meaning: Nigerians are unethical. grin

Just keep it moving. It is a game of numbers. You keep applying for many and not dwell on one loss. Learn your lessons and keep developing yourself. Many days I cried. I will dump my laptop and a few days later I pick it up again. I guess it was easier for me because I had a good job and support system (friends, family and lover rooting for me). So I wasn't jobless or hungry. I just needed more and I knew my 6-digit 9to5 wouldn't give me what I wanted in the next few years.

It was also supposed to be a second source of income, but when I got an offer that trumped my 9to5 over-and-over-and-over. I resigned.

I went through your stage in 2021. Peaked in 2022. Struck gold in 2023. In fact, I had to go back to ask my firm's co-founder why he picked me (A Nigerian) out of numerous applicants and he said "GUT FEELING, you came off as someone willing to learn/work and your CV wasn't bogus". Today I don't remember the days of crying and disappointment. My own is to enjoy life. Remote work completely changed my life and I genuinely wish it for those who desire it.

That said, na who giveup lose.

Poco why you no wan show your brother way?
I'm not happy o. You are just being vague and evasive.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by sweden: 11:50am On May 06
Digiwiz:
So sorry, Nigeria really happened to you here wink

Why not learn CPA Marketing? It's very possible to be pulling in $500 weekly.
and i have helped so many Nigerians in this online business.

What is CPA marketing.I am interested.Give me your contact for more info.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by sweden: 11:53am On May 06
Angelfrost:

Depends on location... MTN has been a life-saver for my remote work for over 2 years now.

Airtel works too. Glo and 9Mobile are suicidal for anyone serious about remote work.

As for Op... Nothing new or strange about your experience. It comes with the territory.

You should not give up, except your heart and passion have never been in freelancing/virtual work.

What works for me is non-contact and non-calling jobs... These don't require too strong an internet connection, except when you have team meetings.

You can also look for places with strong internet to work (it's all investment into your career and financial growth).

I have been handling writing and admin work for 3 different clients for 2 years now, and it has been awesome... I even got a promotion recently. All of them are part-time, but the income from them in a month equals what good salary jobs in Nigeria pay in 6 months.

I hope to get into virtual work full-time this year... But, it must be at a very good pay (Not less than 20/hour). cool

I need your contact please.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by stagger: 11:58am On May 06
Mavor:
LIES!!! No CEO would openly admit this even to a recruiter, for fear of getting sued. Make una slow down with the lies for these kind thread.

SHUT UP! IDIOT!

Was it you who was affected?

I don't know who churns out such untrained children of nowadays! No respect for anybody. Just opening your dirty mouth and talking anyhow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by emeths: 11:59am On May 06
Sorry my dear. My wife had similar experience with one foreign data entry firm.
After months of waiting for the live interview, Mtn and Airtel messed everything up.
She contacted them and they rescheduled another interview with her...she was successful, but they have already on-boarded those that were successful in the failed interview.
It is the reality we find ourselves in Nigeria and some people are defending the system.
E go reach everyone Las Las.

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Useku(m): 12:00pm On May 06
Note
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by okunwaye(m): 12:00pm On May 06
Isokoboy:
I dey wait for othe remote worker to help make i learn
Modified
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by easzypeaszy(m): 12:01pm On May 06
Dey are bound to happen in Nigeria but even ur Nigeria manager will never understand or accept.
I work remotely and spend over 30k on data monthly even tho I use less than 50G per month.
Der was a month I bought Airtel router and went back to get Glo router..I wan die.
Dey wl ask u to resign even for 20mins ntwrk issues.
Remote jobs is not for the faint heart..it can gv ur heart attack n I hv colleagues who died on duty from pressure of remote job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by success1smyn(m): 12:05pm On May 06
BucketMan:

So what next?
Give up?

Naaa, get back on your feet and look for another one man. Learn from what has happened and do better next time.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Ileriahur(m): 12:10pm On May 06
So sorry bro, had similar experience like 4 years ago. I applied to a job in Lagos, I was in Abuja then, we were to do an online test and submit after 15 mins, I finished like 20 mins earlier, decided to cross check again and as I was about to submit the laptop just went off. Laptop with like 60% battery, that was how I lose that job but thank God for everything. I reach out to the organization but they didn’t reply till today.

4 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Alamkir: 12:12pm On May 06
wickyyolo:
please where did you apply for this job ?

Nawao, is it that u didn't read it or what. Haba
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Caleycash(m): 12:12pm On May 06
Nigeria happened to you... welcome to shithole!, sorry man, never give up, Ndi Igbo will say "KWECHIRI"
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by easzypeaszy(m): 12:14pm On May 06
Isokoboy:
I dey wait for othe remote worker to help make i learn
I work remotely and its over 4years now.
1. Have options. Network, Device and Power
2. You must have at least 3netwrks you sub to monthly, but know the best and fast one in ur location. Do highest sub on it and other 2 u can just do like 25G each for emergencies.
Note: You may end up not using them but the month u refused to do it, na den u go kw say Devil kw u.
3. Generator, Nepa, Fuel and Where you can easily charge and work withing your area is a must.
4. You must have extra device e.g Before I login I use my fone to connect like ystrday he refused to connect but thank God I use my phone number as anther option before I could login if not warming letter.
Note: Every prblm u encountered aside ur company site down is your fault.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Caleycash(m): 12:16pm On May 06
NGArmyTerrorist:
Get anxiety drugs beside you, e get why! I pray you jam another job but make sure you got two networks this time around.
DOES SWAGBUCKS STILL WORK??, LIKE THEY REALLY PAYS YOU?

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Fembleez1(m): 12:16pm On May 06
BucketMan:

If you are interested in a writing Gig (Articles). Though in the Event Industry, send me a mail and let us talk.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by okunwaye(m): 12:17pm On May 06
NGArmyTerrorist:
Sorry for you went through. If failures full your way, find a good wife and marry, the failure will either go or be minimized.
Abasi!!! shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mitchley(m): 12:18pm On May 06
Hermanie:

Dear Hermanie, I turst this meets you well. Kindly consider me in your writing venture. I am a creative writer. Thank you.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Caleycash(m): 12:19pm On May 06
Mavor:
You don't know anything!... when you enter remote work field deeply in search of job offer you go understand better... you'll feel like your life is worthless and you don't deserve anything good in life, thank God for where you are, because if condition hit and you wan join remote work, that suing you go know say e no dey work, especially being a Nigerian living in Nigeria, Lol

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by okunwaye(m): 12:20pm On May 06
123yes:
N stNigeria Services providers networks is terrible. Very slow like snails.it affects every one doing online business in Nigeria. Some networks like Airtel or 9 mobil can stay with out network for weeks.
The best online business to be is forex trading or boom and crash. You can be making money Allday if you understand the techniques behind it.
You can start forex trading with only $10 and grow it over a period of time. Good luck!
Brokers favorite qoute grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Npower: How The Soft Loan Will Be Disbursed By The CBN / Nigerian Institute Of International Affairs Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / I Just Got A Job Through NAIRALAND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.