Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? (16482 Views)

Does Diminutive Gnome Mat (eni Egbere) Still Bring Money? (picture) / For Yorubas... / Dear Yorubas, What Happened? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 10:12am On Nov 22, 2011
Hello there, I would have posted this question in the religion section, but it seems more of a cultural one. Anyway, I was reading up on Traditional Yoruba religion (Animism) yesterday, and I read a section that talked about some of the spirits from Yoruba folklore/mythology. Folklore/mythology being a topic I love. It went in depth with some different types of spirits, but for others like, the Egbere, it didn't give more than a name. Does anyone have any information on such a spirit? Or know of a source that talks more about (non-Orisha) Yoruba folklore/mythology?

Thanks for your time.  smiley
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by kodewrita(m): 11:49am On Nov 22, 2011
THink of it as a wood-gnome or goblin. Essentially an african version of the leprechaun. Reputed to carry a mat that if stolen would make the bearer extremely rich ( same way the Irish dream of stealing the leprechaun's pot of riches). Always crying like a baby.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
^
Any idea why it's used as a swear word?
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by rabzy: 8:10pm On Nov 22, 2011
Booshman you are still at it. well done

Egbere is short forest spirit that is reputed to carry a mat all around and very stealthy, if you steal its mat the spirit will follow you around for days wailing, if you can stand all that for the said period of time you become very rich, thats part of the myth.

@ mbatuku,

it is often used as a swear word by mothers or older people for younger ones as a swear word, meaning 'you small thing' or 'you troublesome small thing.

1 Like

Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 6:08am On Nov 24, 2011
@ Rabzy

Oh! I haven't stopped in the least bit, my friend! I have been going non-stop! grin

@ Kodewrita and Rabzy

So what is its temperment? I mean is it hostile towards innocent people, or does it tend to mind its own business around them? (Until they steal its mat.) Going by the descriptions given, it doesn't seem to be hostile. Maybe even defenseless. Also, do they have any physical traits that make them stand out? Horns, pointed ears, less then 5 toes and fingers like humans, odd colored skin, body markings, fangs, etc. . . . . .

Also, since I have your attention do any of you fine folks know of any other types of Nigerian folklore beings? Good or Evil. I've only heard of another called an "Ahiku", (I think that's what it was called) and it's an evil monster that feeds on the young and takes the shape of smoke. But nothing beyond that.

Most of my African folklore being knowledge stems from either Malian or Zulu cultures.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 6:30am On Nov 27, 2011
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 12:05am On Jan 31, 2012
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by rabzy: 9:00am On Jan 31, 2012
The Egbere has human features like that of a child, but with enough roughness and hardness that you would know its not human. It goes its own ways and is not violent.

I have not heard of Ahiku, but there is 'abiku' in the nigerian myth also known as 'ogbanje'.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by ifyalways(f): 9:35am On Jan 31, 2012
Booshman why did you delete some of your posts?I find your thread interesting, stop deleting.
And what's "ahiku"? Something different from Abiku or ogbanje/
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 2:39am On Feb 02, 2012
rabzy:

The Egbere has human features like that of a child, but with enough roughness and hardness that you would know its not human. It goes its own ways and is not violent.

I have not heard of Ahiku, but there is 'abiku' in the nigerian myth also known as 'ogbanje'.

Thank you for the clarification on its appearance and mentality. As for "Ahiku", my limited source might have actually meant "Abiku" and it was just a misspelling. Which is a mistake that can't be made. Especially when it comes to different language/culture. What exactly is an "Abiku" (or "Ogbanje"wink?

ifyalways:

Booshman why did you delete some of your posts?I find your thread interesting, stop deleting.
And what's "ahiku"? Something different from Abiku or ogbanje/

Oh. I wasn't deleting my posts, friend. I was simply bumping the thread back to the first page, because it was pushed all the way down to page 7 at one point.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by rabzy: 7:23am On Feb 02, 2012
An Abiku is said to be a spirit child, sent by his other spirit play mates to be born into a family and terrorize them. The Abiku spirit world is said to be populated by children playing all day long and engaged in all sorts of merry-making. They often choose a rich family and the child would repeatedly be falling sick causing his parents to squander their wealth seeking for a cure.
Eventually at a previously agreed date -especially on a joyful occasion like a festival or marriage- the child would fall sick and die, and then the child would be re-born again and again to the same family until they are totally exhausted emotionally and financially.

Medicine men were totally at a loss to know how to handle a sick Abiku child. All their best efforts hardly work. Abiku so oloogun de ke: The Abiku has turned the medicine man to a quack/fake.

Sometimes when a mother repeatedly gives birth to an abiku, the child is branded at death so that he can be recognizable when he comes back again, and is said that the child are often reborn with the brands. They are often spoilt by their parents in a bid to persuade them to stay. The belief of Abiku was so prevalent that people still bear Abiku names till date.
Names like Durojaiye - Stay and enjoy life, Banjoko - Stay with me, Malomo- Don't go again, Durosinmi - Stay and rest.

The Ogbanje is practically the same phenomenon as 'Abiku' but this is the eastern name and they are often very beautiful girls. My mom told us that when my kid sister was born people used to call her an Ogbanje because she was very beautiful and to worsen matters she often took ill. My mom never believed in the myth.

You can read the Poem 'Abiku' by Wole Soyinka and JP clark and the Famished Road by Ben Okri.

'I am Abiku calling for the first and repeated time', Wole Soyinka.

2 Likes

Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Nobody: 8:33am On Feb 02, 2012
rabzy:

Booshman you are still at it. well done

Egbere is short forest spirit that is reputed to carry a mat all around and very stealthy, if you steal its mat the spirit will follow you around for days wailing, if you can stand all that for the said period of time you become very rich, thats part of the myth.

@ mbatuku,

it is often used as a swear word by mothers or older people for younger ones as a swear word, meaning 'you small thing' or 'you troublesome small thing.

Ok. Thanks. I get it now.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:41pm On Feb 02, 2012
rabzy:

An Abiku is said to be a spirit child, sent by his other spirit play mates to be born into a family and terrorize them. The Abiku spirit world is said to be populated by children playing all day long and engaged in all sorts of merry-making. They often choose a rich family and the child would repeatedly be falling sick causing his parents to squander their wealth seeking for a cure.
Eventually at a previously agreed date -especially on a joyful occasion like a festival or marriage- the child would fall sick and die, and then the child would be re-born again and again to the same family until they are totally exhausted emotionally and financially.

Medicine men were totally at a loss to know how to handle a sick Abiku child. All their best efforts hardly work. Abiku so oloogun de ke: The Abiku has turned the medicine man to a quack/fake.

Sometimes when a mother repeatedly gives birth to an abiku, the child is branded at death so that he can be recognizable when he comes back again, and is said that the child are often reborn with the brands. They are often spoilt by their parents in a bid to persuade them to stay. The belief of Abiku was so prevalent that people still bear Abiku names till date.
Names like Durojaiye - Stay and enjoy life, Banjoko - Stay with me, Malomo- Don't go again, Durosinmi - Stay and rest.

The Ogbanje is practically the same phenomenon as 'Abiku' but this is the eastern name and they are often very beautiful girls. My mom told us that when my kid sister was born people used to call her an Ogbanje because she was very beautiful and to worsen matters she often took ill. My mom never believed in the myth.

You can read the Poem 'Abiku' by Wole Soyinka and JP clark and the Famished Road by Ben Okri.

'I am Abiku calling for the first and repeated time', Wole Soyinka.

Excellent exposure on Abikú guilds!, Children who are born to die.
My sincere congratulations dear friend rabzy!
It is very interesting parallels between history and annotated Egbere of "Saci Pereré." The latter is part of the mythology of Brazil possibly with African roots). It tells the myth that "Saci Pereré" live hidden in forests, is mischievous, and just to avoid their antics, snuff and matches should be left to the edge of the woods to please ,
I send warm greetings to all my dear friends!
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Booshman(m): 1:03pm On Feb 05, 2012
rabzy:

'I am Abiku calling for the first and repeated time',  Wole Soyinka.

As usual Rabzy, you are phenomenal, my friend! Just out of curiosity though, how are these spirit's names pronounced?

Egbere = "egg-bay-ray"
Abiku = "ah-BEE-koo"
Ogbanje = "oh-BAN-jay" (Still haven't perfected my "gb" sound, but I think I get it.)

(Capital letters showing emphasis on syllables)
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by ifyalways(f): 5:30pm On Feb 05, 2012
Over time, I have come to believe abiku/ogbanje are merely SS kids, no?
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:21pm On Feb 05, 2012
ifyalways:

Dear friend ifyalways
As far as I understand, I see no relationship between Abiku and egbere, nor as to origin or as to actions.
When we talk about Abiku we refer to two guilds of children (boys on one side and girls on the other). The question can be considered an issue Abiku of tradition, but also has its religious background. As far as is traditionally the burial ceremony of a Abiku was done according to certain special parameters to prevent their return.
I can not find a contact point with egbere.
But the final opinion logically have other siblings more knowledgeable on the subject.
My opinion is simply a point of view that tries to make a humble contribution.
The floor is the most understood.
A fraternal greeting to all and especially you!
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2012
Booshman:

As usual Rabzy, you are phenomenal, my friend! Just out of curiosity though, how are these spirit's names pronounced?

Egbere = "egg-bay-ray"
Abiku = "ah-BEE-koo"
Ogbanje = "oh-BAN-jay" (Still haven't perfected my "gb" sound, but I think I get it.)

(Capital letters showing emphasis on syllables)
Dear friend Booshman
My respect for you.
I do not speak Yoruba, but as far as I learned, GB is pronounced KP (or cp)
Likewise, the word abikú would be a contraction of "a bi Iku" (we are born to die)
I hope that one brother can give us more understanding more light on the subject.
A fraternal greetings!
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by rabzy: 7:06am On Feb 07, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend ifyalways
As far as I understand, I see no relationship between Abiku and egbere, nor as to origin or as to actions.
When we talk about Abiku we refer to two guilds of children (boys on one side and girls on the other). The question can be considered an issue Abiku of tradition, but also has its religious background. As far as is traditionally the burial ceremony of a Abiku was done according to certain special parameters to prevent their return.
I can not find a contact point with egbere.
But the final opinion logically have other siblings more knowledgeable on the subject.
My opinion is simply a point of view that tries to make a humble contribution.
The floor is the most understood.
A fraternal greeting to all and especially you!

Nice One Ptolomeus,

i did a little reading on saci perere, thats quite a funny creature. Ify never associated Abiku and egbere together. They are separate beings.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by rabzy: 7:09am On Feb 07, 2012
ifyalways:

Yes, that is exactly who they are if we take away all the myths surrounding them. The whole symptoms of the sickness, the fact that it happens to the same couple repeatedly and also that there was never a cure for it traditionally shows that they were SS kids.

today, you hardly hear of anyone having an Abiku.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by ifyalways(f): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2012
rabzy:

Nice One Ptolomeus,

i did a little reading on saci perere, thats quite a funny creature. Ify never associated Abiku and egbere together. They are separate beings.

Thanks.
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by Empiree: 2:31am On May 16, 2015
Booshman:
Hello there, I would have posted this question in the religion section, but it seems more of a cultural one. Anyway, I was reading up on Traditional Yoruba religion (Animism) yesterday, and I read a section that talked about some of the spirits from Yoruba folklore/mythology. Folklore/mythology being a topic I love. It went in depth with some different types of spirits, but for others like, the Egbere, it didn't give more than a name. Does anyone have any information on such a spirit? Or know of a source that talks more about (non-Orisha) Yoruba folklore/mythology?

Thanks for your time.  smiley
I found this for you.
http://www.mojidelano.com/2013/11/when-folklore-meets-reality-bush-baby.html
Re: A Question For Yorubas - What Is An "egbere"? by don4real18(m): 9:10pm On Mar 03, 2019
Well, you have been told. There isn't much I can say only that it becomes violent to the one who steals its mat. You should be able to keep out of its sight for about 12days (when it stops crying for it) to become rich. How many egbere's mat did Bill Gates steal sef grin

(1) (Reply)

Is The Name "ARAB" A Tribe/ethnicity,a Culture Or A Confederation? / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! / Eluku Festival: Notice Of Movement Restrictions In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.