Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,666 members, 7,854,811 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 07:58 AM

Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. (41766 Views)

Messi Makes MLS History In Thrilling Inter Miami Win At Sold-out Gillette Stadia / AFCON Bid: CAF Team In Nigeria, Inspect Stadia / Pictures Of Stadia To Be Used In FIFA 2018 World Cup In Russia & Matches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by HenryWilliams(m): 4:09pm On May 12
spartachico:
What about the national stadium in surulere,that monument deserves some love too

The FG has abandoned it
The locals have turned it into bars and sex joints.
Open defecation is also ongoing.
It's also used as a carpark and other nefarious activities.
LASG wanted to take over the place alongside National Theatre to renovate and use but FG
refused citing some mumbo jumbo ,so the relic will decay till it disappears into dust .
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by OredoPikin: 4:13pm On May 12
pimplucious:
The SE will only look on and salivate while at it but will never get hold of Lagos as they planned.
What of osun, oyo, ondo, ekiti, ogun
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by ComeToJesus: 4:23pm On May 12
Jakande had less resources. He practically built the whole of Lagos. That was when we had men of integrity at the helm of affairs.

These ones will just do one small thing and be snapping pictures all over the place in spite of the humongous monies coming in from FAAC allocations and IGRs..

Nigeria is not ready for good governance and accountability.

A day of reckoning is approaching..

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Kay25(m): 4:47pm On May 12
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

When will Nigeria get it right?
Maybe when folks like u are healed upstairs

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Kay25(m): 4:48pm On May 12
EreluRoz:
Mtcheww what benefits will this be rather than some dangling things roaming around the pitch abi whatever. Mtcheww
As u dey i dont think anything good can be ur fav ..werey
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by AfonjaConehead: 4:51pm On May 12
JohnnA1:
Beautiful.

God continue to bless Lagos.

God bless YORUBALAND.

Amen!
As if you prefer this to owomida 🀣🀣🀣🀣
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by spartachico(m): 4:53pm On May 12
This country can give someone unnecessary migraine
HenryWilliams:

The FG has abandoned it
The locals have turned it into bars and sex joints.
Open defecation is also ongoing.
It's also used as a carpark and other nefarious activities.
LASG wanted to take over the place alongside National Theatre to renovate and use but FG
refused citing some mumbo jumbo ,so the relic will decay till it disappears into dust .
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by JohnnA1: 4:57pm On May 12
SonOfDSoil01:
keep deflection cheesy you are a well known bigot, we will keep serving you hypocrite in the language you understand….even from your comment here, it prove how bigoted you are. When your brethren call others derogatory names and speak ill of there land, you look the other way, but when been served with the same plate you shout of tribalism, we ain’t deceived grin
The guy na covert hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Gboom: 5:06pm On May 12
allen113:
How true is this picture below please? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Make nobody mention me ooh, I no go reply πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I hear say Man city FFP case is sending them to League 1 on Wednesday
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Observer23: 5:13pm On May 12
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

When will Nigeria get it right?

Good question lol.

You had 1 candidate with good acountability and zero corruption record but you chose to vote in the candidate with dodgy record.

When the mindset of the people change, then Nigeria will begin to get it right.
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by rotadeco27: 5:13pm On May 12
aspabay:

You are miserable, very miserable just like your people and your entire region.
I do not think it is right to condemn the entire region for a senseless post of an brainless person.
He may even be in Lagos trying so hard to learn speaking Yoruba to be able to cope.
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Orch1981: 5:15pm On May 12
JohnnA1:
Beautiful.

God continue to bless Lagos.

God bless YORUBALAND.

Amen!
What of order southwestern state abi no be Yorubaland too
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by SonOfDSoil01: 5:16pm On May 12
JohnnA1:
The guy na covert hypocrite.
grin he don cast tey tey…f*ckin chameleon grin

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by adicius: 5:28pm On May 12
An average university sports field in America is way better than that for the whole of Nigeria. Sad when you really think about it πŸ˜”

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by JohnnA1: 5:33pm On May 12
Orch1981:

God bless ALL of YORUBALAND.
Amen!
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by spagettiluv: 5:36pm On May 12
Orch1981:

they are improving,you should be worried about your backward ebonyi

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by maik: 5:51pm On May 12
Kudos to Gov. Sanwo-olu.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by SouthSouth1914: 6:40pm On May 12
Riskymarvelous:
come and check it in the next 2yrs you will blame yourself to said this trust me

Bro there is wear and tear everywhere!
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by naptu2: 6:55pm On May 12
I am not responding to posts on this thread because I believe that most of those people are simply trolling. They are not being serious and they are simply pretending for whatever reason.

However, for those that truly do not know, I am going to reproduce an old post from memory.

Types of stadiums in Nigeria.

Anybody that has lived in Nigeria automatically knows the various types of stadiums in Nigeria (that's why I said that those people are not being serious). In this post I will limit myself to the relevant types.

A) Sports cities: There are many stadiums in Nigeria that are what I call sports cities. They have a main bowl that consists of a football pitch and an athletics track and they also have other sports facilities, most notably a sports hall that is used for basketball and other indoor sports and an aquatic centre.

Some people complain about these sports cities because they do not understand why there's a track around the football pitch. They watch the English Premier League and other European football competitions and they don't see athletics tracks around the pitches and so they wonder why there are tracks around the pitches at these sports cities.

This issue isn't new to me, but I assumed that everybody understood it, however, I discovered on Nairaland in the early 2010s that not everybody understands the issue.

The answer is very simple. These sports cities were built by government. Governments want to develop multiple sports in order to improve the chances of their citizens winning medals at multi-sports events. They need to have the facilities in which to train these athletes. Some governments also hope to host events like the Nations Sports Festival, the National School Sports Festival, Youth Games, All Africa Games, Commonwealth Games, the Olympics, etc. It is more cost effective and efficient to build a sports city than to build separate football stadiums and athletics stadiums. This is the reason that governments build the sports cities. Track and Field Athletics was once Nigeria's second sport, it is the one sport that every school takes part in and there must be facilities to host such competitions.

The football stadiums that you see being used in the English Premiership and similar competitions are owned by wealthy football clubs. They have no responsibility to develop track and field athletics and they want to ensure that their fans can get very close to the action by having the seats/stands very close to the pitch.

Examples of sports cities include the National Stadium Lagos, the National Stadium Abuja, Liberty Stadium Ibadan, Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Enugu and the Ahmadu Bello Stadium Kaduna.

B) Single use stadiums: There are also single use stadiums in Nigeria. When I say "single use" I mean that the stadium comprises just a football pitch, although that same pitch can be used for association football, rugby and American football.

Most of the single use stadiums are the older stadiums like the Onikan Stadium in Lagos, Sharks Stadium in Port Harcourt and the Kano Pillars Stadium. Most of these stadia are associated with a particular football club and it is not the club's responsibility to develop other sports like track and field athletics or swimming. Besides, most of these older stadia are smaller than the sports cities and there's no space to put an athletics track.

C) Mini stadiums: Mini stadiums are very small stadiums that are designed to be used by a community. Most of these stadiums are not used by any professional sports team, rather they are used by the youths in the area.

Mini stadiums are built to provide an outlet for youths in the area, so that they can hone their skills, to provide them with something to do and keep them away from crimes and other vices.

Mini stadiums also serve as a community centre. They are a place where schools can hold their inter-house sports competitions, nearby companies can have bonding sessions, etc.

A great example of a mini stadium is the Campos Square Mini Stadium. It was basically just a playground once upon a time. There were no stands and there was no grass (it was just sand). People played football there, it was used as a prayerground during Eid and some people had parties there. In 1987 a part of the square was partitioned off and converted into a school.

However, Governor Babatunde Fashola converted it into a mini stadium with stands, an electronic scoreboard and an outdoor basketball court.

Nowadays there are activities at the stadium every day. It is used by the Lagos State Government to train primary and secondary school students, teams of youths rent the stadium for their football matches and it was the site of the Channels Television primary school football competition.

D) Playgrounds: What I call playgrounds are community sports facilities that have no stands, in some cases they have no grass, but they are used by youths in the area to play football in the evenings and at weekends. They are also used for social occasions like parties and for political gatherings. A good example of a playground is the old Campos Square.

Photos of Campos Square Mini Stadium.

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by ufotunang: 7:04pm On May 12
What is the benefit of stadium/stadia to the poor man ...
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by naptu2: 7:06pm On May 12
Sports cities.

Most of these stadia have a football field and training pitches, an athletics track and a warm up track, an indoor sports hall for basketball and other indoor sports, a swimming pool and diving pool and some have hockey pitches, a velodrome, etc.

These are the National Stadium Abuja, the National Stadium Lagos and the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Enugu.

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by naptu2: 7:16pm On May 12
Football stadiums.

1) The old Onikan Stadium.

2) The new Onikan Stadium

3) Sharks Stadium, Port-Harcourt

4) Kano Pillars Stadium

1 Like

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by Mckraz01: 7:24pm On May 12
naptu2:
The government had previously announced that ten mini stadia across the state will be renovated, while the Teslim Balogun Stadium is being upgraded (all covered stands) and there are plans to build new stadia.

Jubril A. Gawat @Mr_JAGs

We like to celebrate mediocrity
First of all, of what economic importance

Stadium wey dem go later turn to crusade ground.

Teslim still needs serious work
At least each state should have a standard stadium 🏟️
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by naptu2: 7:26pm On May 12
Mckraz01:

We like to celebrate mediocrity
First of all, of what economic importance

Stadium wey dem go later turn to crusade ground.

Teslim still needs serious work
At least each state should have a standard stadium 🏟️

"Each state should have a standard stadium" but "of what economic importance is a stadium".

Hahahahahahahaha

You see why I don't take you people seriously? You only exist for jokes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by naptu2: 7:30pm On May 12
Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by ogolemati: 8:16pm On May 12
pimplucious:
The SE will only look on and salivate while at it but will never get hold of Lagos as they planned.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin always commenting like robot.ok lets use var to check if you had brain

Re: Pictures Of Mini Stadia Being Renovated In Lagos. by newoffer: 8:36pm On May 12
Who will control the over entitled locals who will be smoking weed everywhere. It is the management that matters.
spartachico:
What about the national stadium in surulere,that monument deserves some love too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Celebrates Christmas With Family In Adorable Photos / Anthony Joshua Showed Off His Incredible Physique In New Photo / 20-Year-Old Joseph Minala Called Up By Cameroon (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.