Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,407 members, 7,958,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely (5409 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / Obafemi Awolowo University Student Union Suspended / UNN Suspends Postgraduate Programmes Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 12:37am On Nov 23, 2011
Lasu Tuition Fees Crisis Worsen;sug Union Suspended Indefinitely Over Protest

The tuition fees increment crisis rocking the Lagos State University (LASU), took a new dimension as the Senate of the institution on Monday suspended indefinitely students union activities in the institution.

Daily Sun source also disclosed that by implication the executive of the students’ union stand suspended and were likely to face a panel over their involvement in the ongoing protest.
The Senate also directed that students office “the Acade” be sealed off and directed students to vacate the university premises while resumption date had been extended by one week thus they were expected back to the campus on Monday, December 5.

In a swift retaliation to the Senate/management action, the students also locked the main gate to the Admin Block which housed the vice chancellor, registrar and principal officers’ offices while a goat head was placed at the entrance.
Tension was still high on the campus as academic and administrative activities were paralyzed on Tuesday as workers were chased away by the students in apparent reactions to the Senate decisions while the two main gates of the university were also locked.

According to the source, the Senate had to take the drastic decision to arrest the situation and check the excesses of the students. He further noted that at resumption, the students would produce a letter of guarantor and sign undertaking at their faculties to be of good behaviour.
In a special bulletin, the LASU management aside the extension of resumption date for old students directed new students, offered admission for 2011/2012 academic session, to start registration and pay the controversial fees with immediate effect.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/23/national-23-11-2011-0037.html

the lasusu union was suspended yesterday over protest ; governing council gives deadline for payment of the new tuition fees . new intake to resume nov 28 . faculty of education/art student to pay 193,750 ,faculty of management/social science to pay 248,750, law / engineering students to #280,000, lasucol of medicine to pay #369750.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:10am On Nov 23, 2011
Na wa ooo. So is this how it gonna be?
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 1:52am On Nov 23, 2011
a.c.n led govt is the worst party in 9ja.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 8:18am On Nov 23, 2011
breaking news -the useless lag state govt has just ordered the arrest of lasu students as heavyly armed security with armour tank mounted around the campus
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 8:19am On Nov 23, 2011
breaking news -the useless lag state govt has just ordered the arrest of lasu students as heavyly armed security with armour tank mounted around the campus
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by holaemma: 9:27am On Nov 23, 2011
Her u sure of dis info. cos i heard dat it wil b reduced to 120,000.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by gregg2: 1:54pm On Nov 23, 2011
One is involved in multiple taxation, increament in school fees. The other is talking about removing fuel subsidy.

Is Fashola different from GEJ?
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by otokx(m): 1:55pm On Nov 23, 2011
why can't they protest peacefully? why should they lock offices and prevent civil servants from going about to their offices?
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Ournaija: 1:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
Since ACN govts took over Lagos state that school has been a sort of crap. Appointment of Proff, Lateef Hussein was the biggest error Tinubu made for that institution. Fashola appears to be unconcerned with all the irregularities in that school. Hiking the school fees with it present state is total unacceptable.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Ournaija: 2:02pm On Nov 23, 2011
otokx:

why can't they protest peacefully? why should they lock offices and prevent civil servants from going about to their offices?

If you protest peacefully no one will look your side. cool

Revolution in the Arab world was not gotten by mere carrying of placards alone. cheesy
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 23, 2011
BRF, this isnt fear. Myself and all LASUITES dont deserve this at all.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Baawaa(m): 2:17pm On Nov 23, 2011
Fashola,Fashola Fashola,who many time did i call u?ur drum is sounding abnormal dis days
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by DaDoctor: 2:35pm On Nov 23, 2011
IN AS MUCH AS I AM AN ACADEMICIAN. I WAS ONCE A UNION LEADER
I CONDEMN THE SCHOOLS DECISION AND THEIR LOVE FOR EXCESS MONEY
AFTERALL, THE SCHOOL GETS 'APPROPRIATIONS' FROM THE STATE GOVT.

Please where is NANS? Waoooo. Gone are the days when men were in charge of NANS, its now BOYS in there,.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 3:21pm On Nov 23, 2011
they have close down the sch finally,over 50military men fully armed with several armour tanks and black maria manning d campus right now. 2 students were beaten,harrass and kEPt in black maria just because they were making phone calls. i advice anyone to stay away from the campus,those o.p messa with several tanks nah die .
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by 1dafubabs(m): 3:34pm On Nov 23, 2011
"THE SLIENCE OF THE PEOPLE IS A WANING FOR THE KING"

Greatest lasuit  !!
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Akanbiedu(m): 3:38pm On Nov 23, 2011
Necessary evil. What must be done, must be done.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by cindylee: 3:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
Da Doctor:

IN AS MUCH AS I AM AN ACADEMICIAN. I WAS ONCE A UNION LEADER
I CONDEMN THE SCHOOLS DECISION AND THEIR LOVE FOR EXCESS MONEY
AFTERALL, THE SCHOOL GETS 'APPROPRIATIONS' FROM THE STATE GOVT.

Please where is NANS? Waoooo. Gone are the days when men were in charge of NANS, its now BOYS in there,.

Oh! So you were a student union president. I dislike them with a passion. Made me stay in school for six good years instead of four and after my mates had graduated from school and gotten good jobs. angry angry angry cry cry cry
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by DaDoctor: 4:13pm On Nov 23, 2011
cindylee:

Oh! So you were a student union president. I dislike them with a passion. Made me stay in school for six good years instead of four and after my mates had graduated from school and gotten good jobs. angry angry angry cry cry cry
YOU DIDNT PALY YOUR CARDS WELL. U SHUD HAVE BALANCED UNIONISM WITH ACADA. WELL TODAY I AM HAPPY I WAS ONE . EVEN IN MY PRESENT JOB. THEY RESPECT ME COS I KNOW THE STUDENTS WAY. I HAVE THE EXPERIENCE AND THE RELATIONSHIP SKILLS WHEN IT COMES TO STUDENTS' AFFAIR
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by sheyguy: 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2011
Otondo SUG, na only mouth them sabi make.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by basadenet: 4:43pm On Nov 23, 2011
Despite Lagos is adjudged the state that made the highest revenue yet it could not fund education successfully and  With the latest stand of the State Governor  and his cronies on the Lasu issue, shows that are not for the masses that voted into power but for merely there for themselves. Which means Education is now for the rich and poor man can go to hell. ALMIGHTY  WILL JUDGE.   Eko Oni baje oooooooo  Sugbon on ti baje bayi oooooo.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by mabanwo: 4:50pm On Nov 23, 2011
To prefer evil to good is not Godly, but when a man is compelled to choose between two evils, he/she will go for the lesser evil. This is the case of PDP and ACN - they are both evil. I strongly implore the LASU Union to change position not - it is a sin to increase school fees in this manner. If it were in my Great Ife, I bet you, GEJ himself will have to visit Ife!
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Sike(m): 4:54pm On Nov 23, 2011
smh
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by DaDoctor: 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2011
SEE THE STRATEGY!!!

YOU ALL VOTED THEM FOR SECOND TERM,
NO DOUBTS BRF ISNT COMING AGAIN
BEFORE 2015, THEY MAY CUT THE PRICE SLIGHTLY AS A CAMPAIGN TOOL.
THEN LO AND BEHOLD YOU WILL BE HAPPY AND VOTE THEM AGAIN.
THEY STABILISE THE FEE, YOU VOTE FOR A SECOND TERM BEFORE THEY RAISE IT AGAIN
AND THE CYCLE GOES ON

TAKE CUE FROM THE LEKKI TOLL GATE PALAVER INITIALLY SUSPENDED FOR FEARS OF ELECTION LOSS. NOW HASNT IT COME UP AGAIN?

LMAO ACNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DEMO FOREVA
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by anishe(m): 5:33pm On Nov 23, 2011
What is Fashola, a SAN, turning into. Hope this is not the case of dining with the devil.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2011
It already is
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by spenza002: 6:25pm On Nov 23, 2011
Peaceful protest got d libyan nothing but regret from their leader bt look at what they achieve when they REALLY protest. Diplomacy can't solve this
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by Iolo(m): 6:34pm On Nov 23, 2011
Heard on a Channels program that the fees wouldn't affect current students and starts with only fresh entries.

How true is this? If true, why are these students on strike?
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 6:35pm On Nov 23, 2011
d sug purported posted on f.b 5mins ago that there is gonna be a mass protest in conjuction with civil society group/NAANS frm nlc secretariat @ yaba to ikeja by 9.00am. ALUTA CONTINUA
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by luvola(m): 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2011
by 9.00am tmorow
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by metrixserv: 7:07pm On Nov 23, 2011
This is very sad indeed,is as if the second term of Fashola is to come and unleash terror on the innocent citizens, lagos does not seem to be working this second term,honestly pdp Government is still beta pass this useless ACN or what do they call themself,you want to increase schl fees with 700%,you want to increase the land use charges you want to increase everything,no good road,water has not been running for almost a week and you said you are running people's Government,honestly this is a confirmation by the pdp in lagos that Fashola government is for the elite,the rich.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by musiwa43: 7:29pm On Nov 23, 2011
o ma se. There is nobody like awolowo.
Re: LASU Senate Suspends Student Union Activities Indefinitely by ajasa4link: 7:42pm On Nov 23, 2011
Egungun be careful na express u dey go o,, Gov. Fashola has turned lasu to a military barrack mounted by amoured personnel carriers,men of the rapid response squad and op mesa. Maybe he should just start wearing military uniform as 4rm tomorrow since he is now d garrison commander of lagos state, We all queued in the sun on that fateful saturday when we cast and protect our vote as we were told for fashola,but what do we get barely a year after we elected him in? We are being pursued on campus with gun-trotting force men under the distinguished command of General fashola who is supposed to be a governor of the people. . . . Hmmmm, how time change people, I know the youths of this nation will not continue to look in d face of persecution. Gov(gen) fashola pls tread softly

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Years Later, See How They Celebrate Interhouse Sport In Benin / 10 Types Of Girls You Will Find In A Nigeria University / Kwarapoly Transcript

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.