Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,276 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 (5774 Views)

The Greatest Programmer On Nairaland / Two Step Verification Or Authentication Using Sms Api (tutorial) / Fingerprint Authentication In Vb.net Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by ektbear: 7:13am On Nov 25, 2011
Hi,

Here is a task that I'd like to see done.

Phpbb3 is a pretty popular forum software written in PHP. With many online forums (e.g. Nairaland), you must create a separate account if you want to post.

However these days, people are moving towards more open authentication systems, in which all you need is say a Facebook, Twitter, or Google account to post on a forum.

The nice thing about authenticating against Facebook/Twitter/Google rather than your own in-house system is that it means more people are likely to participate in using your site.

Fortunately Phpbb3 is architected in a way that it is easy to write authentication modules. There are in fact instructions here (http://wiki.phpbb.com/Authentication_plugins) for writing an authentication module. It is basically just a php script with five required functions.

Anyway, in a nutshell, what I would like to see is the following 4 scripts:

[list]
[*] auth_twitter.php
[*] auth_facebook.php
[*] auth_google.php
[*] auth_jabber.php
[/list]

So let's walk through what the requirements will look like if you wanted to write auth_twitter.php. You'd need to:
[list]
(1) head to the twitter developer website (https://dev.twitter.com/docs/twitter-libraries#php)
(2) choose one of the PHP Twitter API libraries there,
(3) Figure out how the library you choose takes care of authentication
(4) Then implement the 5 functions required by PHPBB3 for auth_twitter.php (again, as described here: http://wiki.phpbb.com/Authentication_plugins). From my quick glance at things, it looks like the bulk of the work will be in this login_method() function that PHPBB3 requires.
[/list]

While my description of this problem may seem a bit daunting, I actually don't think it would take too long to do. Just would require familiarizing yourself with a few new technologies/libraries and writing a bit of code.

My guess is that it would take a maximum of say 7-10 hours to write auth_twitter.php. I expect that many could do it in far less time (5 hours or even just 2 or 3.)

There would be additional time needed to write the other modules, but I imagine that once you write one, the others become very simple to write also.

If you have any questions about this task, let me know. And if you are actually serious about getting this done, email me (my email is in my profile) and offer me a price quote (I'm actually primarily interested in the auth_jabber.php module, but certainly would find the others valuable as well.)
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2011
Make the post in the webmasters section. There are very few people on this board (like dhtml) that have been known to solve this kinda task.
But i am tied hands and feet at the moment. If it is still opened by say a week's time, please notify me on support @ dot net
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by ektbear: 10:53am On Nov 25, 2011
Ok, didn't realize webmasters section would be a better place to post this.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 25, 2011
Most of the guys on this block eat and drink all them java, vb and stuffs. I only come here to play with them here when our board is boring.
But the webmasters board is better for this kinda post - although boys will come over here eventually.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 25, 2011
will love to see a jabber implementation in php or as3 also.
i made an attempt at integrating kilonsele.com chatroom to facebook group chat via jabber last month.
been so busy to complete it and also no meaningful documentation out there.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by Godmann(m): 7:48pm On Nov 25, 2011
Sorry

How much are you paying for these. I suspect you want to pass over your job to others just like that?
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by ektbear: 8:53pm On Nov 25, 2011
Regarding "how much", if you are actually serious you can follow the procedure I outlined for submitting a bid.

Regarding the rest of your comment, how is that even relevant? Focus on what is important
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by moderatorr: 7:08am On Nov 26, 2011
unfortunately guys who can do this are tied in one project or the other.
Just make an attempt on it , i could then help by fixing your bugs or improving your code.
Even if you where to pay  a hundred thousand, i still wont have the chance.
Am developing a social network, you know how it is, world war 2. Not in difficulty but in massiveness.
Let me know when you've done something on it, even if its not working.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by ektbear: 7:12am On Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for your comment.

The problem is that I am also busy with various things. So while I know how to do this, it would be better for me to find someone else who is interested.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by ektbear: 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2011
No responses so far.

Hrm, looks like I'll have to look elsewhere if I want to find a freelancer for this.
Re: Php Challenge: External Authentication Of Phpbb3 by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 26, 2011
*dhtml:

Make the post in the webmasters section. There are very few people on this board (like dhtml) that have been known to solve this kinda task.
But i am tied hands and feet at the moment. If it is still opened by say a week's time, please notify me on support @ dot net
If you read my earlier statement, you will should not be surprised there is no response - very few people can solve this kinda challenge on this board,
and if those few are not interested or are too busy on other projects - then no response.

If this is still unsolved by monday, i will sort it out.

(1) (Reply)

Android App Developers Charges / How Much Will It Cost To Create An IOS, And An Android App / How Can I Build A Twitter like @mention System In PHP?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.