Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code (1846 Views)

Have Your Say; The Da Vinci Code’ / The Da Vinci Story Or The Bible Story / The 'Da Vinci Code' Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Skywalker5(m): 9:04pm On Sep 23, 2007
What your view on this story.This stuff is now being shown on cable television (DSTV) and on the internet too much nowadays.

I watched it and i has to switch it off.I was almost believing this people and their story.This guys are good.They backed it up well.

What your view on them.
Are they speaking the truth or they are just trying to destroy Christianity
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 23, 2007
i will only take them serious when they do a similar thing with islam. I dont respect the views of cowards and hypocrites.

Its easy to write a book to slander christianity especially when you will get paid well for it, live the rest of your life a celebrity and not have to worry about fatwahs.

1 Like

Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by pilgrim1(f): 12:10am On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

i will only take them serious when they do a similar thing with islam. I don't respect the views of cowards and hypocrites.

Its easy to write a book to slander christianity especially when you will get paid well for it, live the rest of your life a celebrity and not have to worry about fatwahs.

Precisely.

1 Like

Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 12:45am On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

i will only take them serious when they do a similar thing with islam. I don't respect the views of cowards and hypocrites.

Not everyone is Salman Rushdie, Reza Safa, Ibn Warraq, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, or indeed Theo Van Gogh. People find inspiration in different places and authors tend to write books on subjects they understand and to which they can do justice.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 24, 2007
KAG:

Not everyone is Salman Rushdie, Reza Safa, Ibn Warraq, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, or indeed Theo Van Gogh. People find inspiration in different places and authors tend to write books on subjects they understand and to which they can do justice.

Have you noticed the common link between the above mentioned and the vast disparity between them and a certain Dan Brown?
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 1:38am On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

Have you noticed the common link between the above mentioned and the vast disparity between them and a certain Dan Brown?

They all have works that deal with Islamic themes, while Dan Brown's deals with Christian themes.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 24, 2007
KAG:

They all have works that deal with Islamic themes, while Dan Brown's deals with Christian themes.

Maybe you chose to gloss over the most critical denominator for all those mentioned. While Dan Brown swims in millions as proceeds from his now famous book, Theo Van Gogh has paid with his life, Salman Rushdie has a fatwah hanging over his head, Ali has had to go into exile and the others are protected by the US.
Shouldnt have been difficult to see that you know. . .
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 2:00am On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

Maybe you chose to gloss over the most critical denominator for all those mentioned. While Dan Brown swims in millions as proceeds from his now famous book, Theo Van Gogh has paid with his life, Salman Rushdie has a fatwah hanging over his head, Ali has had to go into exile and the others are protected by the US.
Shouldnt have been difficult to see that you know. . .

First, Salman Rushdie, though threatened with a fatwa, is swimming in millions too (I know, not your point, but worth mentioning). Ali was already in "exile" (I suspect you mean her assylum in the Netherlands) before she started writing. I've seen to evidence to suggest that the others are anymore protected by the U.S than any other high profile author. I agree Theo Van Gogh was killed by a insane Muslim fanatic.

Basically, it was difficult to see.

P.S. Dan Brown has receieved his share of death threats too - though none endorsed by Christian high leaders, with this being one of the most famous: http://blog.atheology.com/2006/05/23/1000000-rupees-for-dan-browns-head/
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 24, 2007
KAG:

First, Salman Rushdie, though threatened with a fatwa, is swimming in millions too (I know, not your point, but worth mentioning).

Yep Rushdie may be "swimming in millions" but unlike Dan Brown he is not free to move around his adopted country. Might have something to do with the fact that the government of Iran has a bounty on his head eh.

KAG:

Ali was already in "exile" (I suspect you mean her assylum in the Netherlands) before she started writing. I've seen to evidence to suggest that the others are anymore protected by the US than any other high profile author. I agree Theo Van Gogh was killed by a insane Muslim fanatic.

Hirsi Ali has had to live in hiding since 2004 while Dan Brown roams free.

KAG:

Basically, it was difficult to see.

Because you refuse to see.

KAG:

P.S. Dan Brown has receieved his share of death threats too - though none endorsed by Christian high leaders, with this being one of the most famous: http://blog.atheology.com/2006/05/23/1000000-rupees-for-dan-browns-head/

Is that your example of Dan Brown's threats? grin If that was the type Ali, Rushdie and others were subjected to we wont be talking here now. That link is so ridiculous. cheesy
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 1:55pm On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

Yep Rushdie may be "swimming in millions" but unlike Dan Brown he is not free to move around his adopted country. Might have something to do with the fact that the government of Iran has a bounty on his head eh.

Technically, the government of Iran doesn't have a bounty on Rushdie's head and for all intents and purposes the fatwa isn't in action (although it can't be lifted because the issuer is dead). That is not to say that Rushdie wasn't wanted dead by the Ayatollah. Just stating the facts. In any case, at this moment Rushdie can move around Britain in about the same capacity as Brown can in America.

Hirsi Ali has had to live in hiding since 2004 while Dan Brown roams free.

Oh, I thought you said exile. In any case, she roams just as free as Dan Brown does.

Because you refuse to see.

Or there's nothing to be seen apart from the fact there are people who write about/against Christian themes and there others who do the same against Islam. Several who write against Islam have been threatened with death, others haven't. The same goes for a few who have written against Christianity.

Is that your example of Dan Brown's threats? grin

It's the most famous because of its source, it wasn't the only [alleged] one.

If that was the type Ali, Rushdie and others were subjected to we wont be talking here now. That link is so ridiculous. cheesy

Actually, apart from Rushdie (who had the bounty for his death threat endorsed by a muslim head), it's remarkably similar to that the others have received. All it would take is one nut who thinks his God's law trumps that of the country.

Anyhoo, back to my original point: People find inspiration in different places and authors tend to write books on subjects they understand and to which they can do justice. It has less to do with hypocrisy and cowardice and more to do with the nature of writing books and art of creativity.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 24, 2007
lets not join issues with these guys they are the spirits of the anti christ.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Purist(m): 10:08pm On Sep 24, 2007
davidylan:

Should I be called a hypocrite if I choose to write on a particular faith of my interest of which I have taken enough time to study its nooks and crannies? Why do you assume that Dan Brown is a coward simply because he did not write on a faith that he probably knows little or nothing of?

But let's assume that he really is a coward. . Only a stupid fellow would write provocatively on a faith, knowing fully well that its adherents would not hesitate to take his life at the slightest opportunity.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by cgift(m): 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2007
Purist:

But let's assume that he really is a coward. . Only a stupid fellow would write provocatively on a faith, knowing fully well that its adherents would not hesitate to take his life at the slightest opportunity.

Tha's what we ar sayiing! The guy walks free with his head intact! No holy war declared on him by christains!
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by jagunlabi(m): 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2007
I can tell you one thing,none of us poor brainless africans know jack about the inner workings of this european religion dumped on our laps.So we really can't be so opinionated about the davinci controversy.Let the "owners" of the religion debate on the subject.They are better equipped to do so.
Sky-walker:

What your view on this story.This stuff is now being shown on cable television (DSTV) and on the internet too much nowadays.

I watched it and i has to switch it off.I was almost believing this people and their story.This guys are good.They backed it up well.

What your view on them.
Are they speaking the truth or they are just trying to destroy Christianity

Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by cgift(m): 9:46am On Sep 26, 2007
jagunlabi:

I can tell you one thing,none of us poor brainless africans know jack about the inner workings of this european religion dumped on our laps.So we really can't be so opinionated about the davinci controversy.Let the "owners" of the religion debate on the subject.They are better equipped to do so.

You are erroneously generalising everybody who believs in Christ. abi? But that is wrong! The only religion where they have "inner workings" if i get you correctly is the RCC. Protestants on a general scale do not have!
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by jerrymania(m): 5:01pm On Sep 26, 2007
cgift:

Tha's what we ar sayiing! The guy walks free with his head intact! No holy war declared on him by christains!

And see someone who prides himself a christian declares a christian holy war, Didnt Jesus say if someone slaps you on one side of your cheek,provide the other also for the same slap! lipsrsealed What war are you declaring? The "holy war",the crusades was the war that had the heaviest religious killings in history when the church of england, the catholic church murdered alot of breakaway faithfuls.
The muslims declare jihad and put it through because of their unity,but the so-called christians keep mum because pride wont let the catholic church equate itself with other type of churches,though most are so money and pleasure principled,therefore your call for a "holy war" will never exist because there is no unity between the churches.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by cgift(m): 5:29pm On Sep 26, 2007
jerrymania:

And see someone who prides himself a christian declares a christian holy war, Didnt Jesus say if someone slaps you on one side of your cheek,provide the other also for the same slap! lipsrsealed What war are you declaring? The "holy war",the crusades was the war that had the heaviest religious killings in history when the church of england, the catholic church murdered alot of breakaway faithfuls.
The muslims declare jihad and put it through because of their unity,but the so-called christians keep mum because pride wont let the catholic church equate itself with other type of churches,though most are so money and pleasure principled,therefore your call for a "holy war" will never exist because there is no unity between the churches.

Please do not get me wrong. Under no circumstances will a chrstian body declare Holywar upon any percieved individual or set of people. The yare God's creation and christ has said he who kills by the sword shall perish by the sword. We aint gotten the licence to take lives.

As per unity of churches, leave that to Christ himself to handle. H knows the ones to unite and the ons to sieve out!

Cheers!
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Sep 26, 2007
jagunlabi:

Not all African Christians approach religion in that ignorant manner. Infact of many of the christians I know, I don't think history of the religion is of any issue to them, my grandmother is an example. And if you research the very tenets of the religion, it is not really about what history says or does not say but about what God says. I know that sounds cliche but if you look a bit into the history of the Christian faith alone, you might come to the same conclusion that this religion is not really about the physical and data recorded but more than that. I have studied much about the religion myself. I only became a true believer back in 2004 and my belief came from, Not what I read from historical recordings of events on the religion or how one word become another, but what I was able to get confirmed from God himself to me.

KoboJunkie
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Purist(m): 10:00pm On Sep 26, 2007
cgift:

Do you, in the first place, expect a holy war to be declared by Christians? I fail to see the essence of the comparism between Islam and Christianity here.

Pray tell, would you risk your precious life just to prove that you're not a coward, even when nobody really cares; or even when your "bravery" doesn't affect anybody positively?
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 11:38pm On Sep 26, 2007
Purist:

Do you, in the first place, expect a holy war to be declared by Christians? I fail to see the essence of the comparism between Islam and Christianity here.

Pray tell, would you risk your precious life just to prove that you're not a coward, even when nobody really cares; or even when your "bravery" doesn't affect anybody positively?

I agree. What many people fail to appreciate is the fact that writing books are long, sometimes boring (make that often boring), time and social life consuming enterprises. It makes little sense to write a book that you can't justify to yourself. If your book or prospective book/project doesn't convince you the writer on some level, then chances are it won't convince publishers.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Kobojunkie: 11:55pm On Sep 26, 2007
But KAG,

It has been shown over and over by historians and archeologists that the claims made in the book can not be substantiated in any way. So Are you saying he wrote a good book of fiction or are you trying to say his book make sense based on history? I don't get it ,

Kobojunkie
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 12:03am On Sep 27, 2007
Kobojunkie:

But KAG,

It has been shown over and over by historians and archeologists that the claims made in the book can not be substantiated in any way. So Are you saying he wrote a good book of fiction or are you trying to say his book make sense based on history? I don't get it ,

Kobojunkie

A good work of fiction that plays on the many parts of Jesus' life and the history of Christianity that are sufficiently vague, shrouded in secrecy, or unable to be completly and conclusively refuted. Also, to bring in another point, Dan Brown clearly knows a good deal about Christianity and some of its history.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by MCUsman(m): 3:52pm On Feb 14, 2008
Why should we deviate from the original topic, this tread have noting to do with Islam? The writer was not a Muslim, nether did he mention anything about Islam. The author of this tread was asking follow nairalanders question about the facts provided in the Da Vinci Code book, and that he seem to believe in some of the facts provided not any relation between the book and Islam. People tend to deliberately deviate from questions that they seem to have no answers to them angry angry angry.

The guys are good? (Are they good or not if yes or no why?)
They backed it well (Facts provided reliable or not?)
He watched it and had to switch it off. Why because he about to believe the story (why off it?)
Are they speaking the truth or they are just trying to destroy Christianity (good question?)

These are the question we are waiting for your answers not the stuff that are posted here.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2008
The Da Vinci Code has got many people thinking about Christ and asking intelligent questions. The truth about Christ is cast in new light because of these questions. God is drawing good out of the confusion of the producers of the film.

Thank God for their confusion!!!
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by 4Play(m): 4:06pm On Feb 14, 2008
KAG:

Technically, the government of Iran doesn't have a bounty on Rushdie's head and for all intents and purposes the fatwa isn't in action (although it can't be lifted because the issuer is dead). That is not to say that Rushdie wasn't wanted dead by the Ayatollah. Just stating the facts. In any case, at this moment Rushdie can move around Britain in about the same capacity as Brown can in America.

Oh, I thought you said exile. In any case, she roams just as free as Dan Brown does.

Could I also add that David Beckham,Jade Goody and Tuface Idibia have also received death threats,which by your reckoning should put them on par with Salman Rushdie.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 6:33pm On Feb 14, 2008
4 Play:

Could I also add that David Beckham,Jade Goody and Tuface Idibia have also received death threats,which by your reckoning should put them on par with Salman Rushdie.

The f*ck are you on about?
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by MCUsman(m): 6:56pm On Feb 14, 2008
This forum is getting bored. What the Bleep are you guys taking about, why the deviation. The poor guy asked about your views you are fucking making reference to David Beckham, Tuface. The next moment it would be either Obama or Hillary Clinton.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by Skywalker5(m): 7:14pm On Feb 14, 2008
MC Usman:

Why should we deviate from the original topic, this tread have noting to do with The Great Religion? The writer was not a Great One, nether did he mention anything about The Great Religion. The author of this tread was asking follow nairalanders question about the facts provided in the Da Vinci Code book, and that he seem to believe in some of the facts provided not any relation between the book and The Great Religion. People tend to deliberately deviate from questions that they seem to have no answers to them angry angry angry.

The guys are good? (Are they good or not if yes or no why?)
They backed it well (Facts provided reliable or not?)
He watched it and had to switch it off. Why because he about to believe the story (why off it?)
Are they speaking the truth or they are just trying to destroy Christianity (good question?)

These are the question we are waiting for your answers not the stuff that are posted here.

Abi oooooooo
.I have even forgotten about the thread since they turned it to another thing

MC Usman:

This forum is getting bored. What the Bleep are you guys taking about, why the deviation. The poor guy asked about your views you are fucking making reference to David Beckham, Tuface. The next moment it would be either Obama or Hillary Clinton.

I just don't understand
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by 4Play(m): 7:16pm On Feb 14, 2008
KAG:

The f*ck are you on about?

Trying to make sense of your mangled comparisons.Davidylan noted the death threats hanging over Rushdie and Ali,in response,you whimsically brought up Dan Brown's death threats stating that the only difference was the source of the threat.By the same token,you should bear in mind that Beckham,Goody and Idibia have all received death threats too so are on par with Rushdie using your 'logic.'
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 7:28pm On Feb 14, 2008
4 Play:

Trying to make sense of your mangled comparisons.

Apparently you still haven't managed that.

Davidylan noted the death threats hanging over Rushdie and Ali,in response,you whimsically brought up Dan Brown's death threats stating that the only difference was the source of the threat.By the same token,you should bear in mind that Beckham,Goody and Idibia have all received death threats too so are on par with Rushdie using your 'logic.'

Um, no. Rushdie's death threat, like the other few examples brought up by David, came from the people of the religion that his book deals with. Dan Brown's death threat came from the people of the religion that his book deals with. Therein lies the comparism.

When the others you mentioned are getting death threats from religious nuts for their books on religion, then your response to my post will make sense.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by 4Play(m): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2008
KAG:

Apparently you still haven't managed that.

That is why it is so mangled.Its like a car wreck.

At the root of matter was whether anti-I.slam polemicists faced a unique degree of censorship compared to "anti-Christian" writers.David mentioned Rushdie in response to which you brought up Dan Brown. . . . .its risible to place Brown in Rushdie or Ali's position in so far as threats to their lives are concerned.

Merely noting instances of such death threats is ridiculous,a lot of "high-profile" people from footballers to musicians regularly receive such threats.Its not the prescence of threats per se that is at issue but the likelihood of such threats materialising and its attendant effects on civil liberties.

Simply saying-'Christians issue death threats,Mu.slims issue death threats, so therein lies their moral equivalence'-demonstrates a shocking lack of perspective.

Your attempts to show that Brown and Ali faced the same level of risks was absurd.
Re: Christians Your View On Secrets Behind The Da Vinci Code by KAG: 8:35pm On Feb 14, 2008
4 Play:

That is why it is so mangled.Its like a car wreck.

That or you haven't bothered to read the thread and understandmy response.

At the root of matter was whether anti-I.slam polemicists faced a unique degree of censorship compared to "anti-Christian" writers.

I pointed out that most didn't

David mentioned Rushdie in response to which you brought up Dan Brown. . . . .its risible to place Brown in Rushdie or Ali's position in so far as threats to their lives are concerned.

No, I mentioned Rushdie; he mentioned Dan Brown. Jeez, is it any wonder you can't make sense of what's going on! Actually, if you read the link I provided and my note after posting it, you'd have seen the similarities.

Merely noting instances of such death threats is ridiculous,a lot of "high-profile" people from footballers to musicians regularly receive such threats.Its not the prescence of threats per se that is at issue but the likelihood of such threats materialising and its attendant effects on civil liberties.

No, really?

Simply saying-'Christians issue death threats,Mu.slims issue death threats, so therein lies their moral equivalence'-demonstrates a shocking lack of perspective.

Now would be a good time to read the thread, no?

Your attempts to show that Brown and Ali faced the same level of risks was absurd.

No.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Some Christians Reject Gospel Hip Hop? / Oyedepo Has Done Great / God Said:make Sure They Give In Dollars. Does God Have Currency Preferences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.