Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Defraggin Windows Xp/vista - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Defraggin Windows Xp/vista (697 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by Ralvy(m): 5:11pm On Sep 24, 2007
So many of us come across this when running windows and we go ahead ignoring it . .
That's not right, Defragmenting partitions on ur computer is very useful and makes ur pc faster when sorting out files.

For me, I defragment my system 3:00AM everyday, so it's a breeze accessing my files .

When you create a file on ur disk, Windows assigns enough clusters to the file to hold it. So if your file is one byte long, it gets one 512 byte cluster. If your file is 600 bytes, it gets two - one 512 bytes full, and one with 88 bytes of data, and 424 bytes unused.

These Clusters arent required to be next to each other on a hard disk, In fact, that's part of what the "Random" in "Random Access Storage" means; data can be accessed and stored on the disk in random places. From what I have said above, now u understand that when windows creates a file, it keeps track of which clusters make up the file. This can be anywhere on the HDD.

Now Imagine this, your kid brother picks up your bible and tears it to non-sense, when you get back and see this, ur too tired to gather them up. Genesis is close to the door, exodus is beside the bed and u know they are there. Now your pastor calls u up and says read Exodus 20:20 to him on the phone, you remember Exodus is beside the bed so u quickly pick it up and read it out. Your pastor again says read Luke; at this time - you do not know where luke is, you will then have to search the entire house for the book of Luke and waste the Pastor's time; this is how windows is searching for that file and wasting ur time because almost all the files are fragmented.

When u defragment, ur files are arranged correctly and windows becomes faster accessing those files.
. . . and when u do not defragment those drives, u leave windows searching thru putting work load on the processor and HDD, which brings shortage in Life Spam.

For my system, around 3:00AM in the midnight when I am probably sleeping, My computer wakes up, signs in itself to my Admin account, Defragments all my drives and shuts down, how sweet.

I will type a guide on how to accomplish that shortly
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by nawa1(m): 9:37am On Sep 25, 2007
you are the best cool
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by 1connect(m): 11:29pm On Oct 04, 2007
So how do you defragment your computer running on Windows Vista?
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by eduaustin(m): 1:48pm On Oct 05, 2007
@Ralvy, thanks for the lecture/info. You re still the bomb. meanwhile u didn't mail me like i said on ma post yesterday. Keep up the good wrk man.
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by Ralvy(m): 3:47pm On Oct 05, 2007
Sorry . .too much work, Please post a link to the Thread . . thnx
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by theboy0808(m): 4:03pm On Oct 05, 2007
@Ralvy
Good Work!
Re: Defraggin Windows Xp/vista by Ralvy(m): 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2007
@theboy8080 (performer)

Thnx o . . .

(1) (Reply)

Fun New 9ja Blog On Relationships / My Cd Driver Is Not Working / 100% Free Oracle, Cisco Ccna, Network+, A+ Etc Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.