Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio (2585 Views)

Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages / The Similarity In Igala And Yoruba Langauage / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by Abagworo(m): 11:45am On Nov 30, 2011
It seems that despite the very obvious differences between Igbo and Ibibio, their naming pattern seems too similar to be mere coincidence.

I have observed this from the little I know like village names and personal names.

Eno Abasi is same as Onyinye Chukwu

Eka Ette is same as Nne Nna.

The suffix and prefix are exactly same. Eno and Onyinye means gift while Chukwu and Abasi mean
God. Eka and Nne mean mother while Ette and Nna mean father.

Names of most Igbo towns start with Umu which means children while most Ibibio towns start with Ikot which is also children.

Ikot-Chukwu = Umu Chukwu=Ikot Abasi.

I'll like to know more about this from those that can speak both Igbo and Ibibio-Efik.
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by Nobody: 4:57pm On Nov 30, 2011
Names of most Igbo towns start
with Umu which means children
while most Ibibio towns start
with Ikot which is also children.

Ikot means 'farm' in Ibibio according to what a friend told me.
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by Abagworo(m): 6:41pm On Nov 30, 2011
mbatuku2:

Ikot means 'farm' in Ibibio according to what a friend told me.

You are partly right as it has dual meaning.

Either "people of" or "bush"
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by ifyalways(f): 10:02am On Dec 04, 2011
Aba eze gworo don come again.
Here was I,thinking hes gonna talk about names like "Ekpo" etc that are common in both communities dude was busy doing translation.

lol
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by OneNaira6: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2011
I've always thought Okon in ibibio/efik is the same as okonkwo in igbo.
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by OneNaira6: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2011
ifyalways:

Aba eze gworo don come again.
Here was I,thinking hes gonna talk about names like "Ekpo" etc that are common in both communities dude was busy doing translation.

lol

grin grin grin Ify wetin him do?
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by ifyalways(f): 12:40pm On Dec 04, 2011
^Gotta slow my roll.lol
Thread title is "naming patterns" and not "common names btw the 2 communities" so OP is on the right track.my bad.

One naira,Abagworo wu confirmed isi okpukpu.
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by Nobody: 10:44am On May 02, 2021
Abagworo:
It seems that despite the very obvious differences between Igbo and Ibibio, their naming pattern seems too similar to be mere coincidence.

I have observed this from the little I know like village names and personal names.

Eno Abasi is same as Onyinye Chukwu

Eka Ette is same as Nne Nna.

The suffix and prefix are exactly same. Eno and Onyinye means gift while Chukwu and Abasi mean
God. Eka and Nne mean mother while Ette and Nna mean father.

Names of most Igbo towns start with Umu which means children while most Ibibio towns start with Ikot which is also children.

Ikot-Chukwu = Umu Chukwu=Ikot Abasi.

I'll like to know more about this from those that can speak both Igbo and Ibibio-Efik.

Ikot means Bush in Efik/ibibio.
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by Banmeallday: 4:27pm On May 08, 2021
Re: Similarity In Naming Pattern Igbo Ibibio by chimezieeze98: 9:14pm On May 10, 2021

(1) (Reply)

An Appeal To The Igbos And Yorubas / Don't Lie! / WHICH TRIBE IS D BEST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.