Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper (12439 Views)

What Are The Requirements For Getting A POS Machine? / Business Idea For Seun: Start A Newspaper Publication (Nairaland Daily) / What Are The Requirements For Starting A Creche In Lagos ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by labamo07(m): 11:05pm On Dec 03, 2011
Hello everybody, I intend starting a regoinal newspaper and I would like to know what it entails before the production begins, What are the necessary and legal things I need to do, pls furnish me with details
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by kevinc: 3:03pm On Dec 05, 2011
1) Feasibility survey
2) get your ISBN number at the library
3) Get your business plan right
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by nevosys(m): 12:08pm On Dec 06, 2011
Get all the legal stuff sorted out first.
Get the right machine and men for the operation and productions
and also well grounded journalist

Read more on this link http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_Run_a_Newspaper
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by bonyface: 4:29pm On Dec 06, 2011
Check the national library for details.
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by yomideola: 4:32pm On Dec 06, 2011
splendid,
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by ruthkufe: 4:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
very many of them,
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by owenueme: 5:05pm On Dec 06, 2011
Which one? Online or print?
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by labamo07(m): 5:57pm On Dec 06, 2011
Is it advisable to test run a publication without the ISBN on the newsprint, Pls advise
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by Tobby26(m): 6:01pm On Dec 06, 2011
Lyk this page on facebuk www.facebook.com/tttechsolutions
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by akinalabi(m): 6:06pm On Dec 06, 2011
1. Register a company. A business name is ok.

2. Go to the National Library. If you are in Lagos, it is in Yaba. Go there to submit your desired name. You will be called after about 2 weeks to let you know if your name is good to go.

3. Go ahead and print the maiden edition. Vol 1 No 1.

4. Take 3 copies to the National Library with your application for ISSN and your money. It costs less that N10,000. You will be told to come back for your ISSN.

5. Get on with your business. When the ISSN is ready, you can put it on your paper.

Now that is the legal aspect.

Contents, production, distribution and marketing na anoda ball game.

Good luck.
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by vinderbilt: 1:07am On Dec 07, 2011
Starting a Newspaper Seriously? When the whole world is going online? undecided

When some Nations are scanning pages of decades old newspapers to put the data online and make it easy to search! Why re-invent the wheel though?
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by 1luvkipsus: 5:09am On Dec 07, 2011
If u must start a newspaper atall,why not a NATIONAL newspaper?trust me,dis 'regional' or 'state' newspaper tin has no economic value.which multinational wil want 2 put its advert in a paper that does not ve wide coverage?or how many pple 4rm ur region wil like 2 read news limited 2 their region?it worked in those days,not anymore.meanwhile dos tins u need 2 do re few;get ur isbn numbr,register wit d states' Newspaper Distributors (or vendors) Associations,and u re gud 2 go.gudluck.
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by oladayo042: 1:34pm On Dec 08, 2011
When coys (234Next et al.) are opting out of print and going online, are you sure you are going do this profitably?
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by mrinfo(m): 7:45pm On Dec 10, 2011
@labamo07, yes it is in fact legal. you need to publish a test copy with which you can then go to the National library and file for ISSN
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by MonthlyIncome(m): 10:19pm On Feb 28, 2019
akinalabi:
1. Register a company. A business name is ok.

2. Go to the National Library. If you are in Lagos, it is in Yaba. Go there to submit your desired name. You will be called after about 2 weeks to let you know if your name is good to go.

3. Go ahead and print the maiden edition. Vol 1 No 1.

4. Take 3 copies to the National Library with your application for ISSN and your money. It costs less that N10,000. You will be told to come back for your ISSN.

5. Get on with your business. When the ISSN is ready, you can put it on your paper.

Thanks for the input baba. Yourinfo isstill useful after 8 YEARS.

Now that is the legal aspect.

Contents, production, distribution and marketing na anoda ball game.

Good luck.
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by tck2000(m): 9:13am On Nov 18, 2019
nice
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by addexx: 10:57am On Nov 18, 2019
labamo07:
Hello everybody, I intend starting a regoinal newspaper and I would like to know what it entails before the production begins, What are the necessary and legal things I need to do, pls furnish me with details

Bro pls stop living in the past. No one reads newspaper again. Not like before . With technology that's blazing everywhere daily, you're thinking of newspaper Really. If you wanna pour kerosene on your capital and make it an inferno, I'd forgive you. But telling me you wanna start newspaper business.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by labamo07(m): 10:45am On Dec 02, 2019
addexx:

Bro pls stop living in the past. No one reads newspaper again. Not like before . With technology that's blazing everywhere daily, you're thinking of newspaper Really. If you wanna pour kerosene on your capital and make it an inferno, I'd forgive you. But telling me you wanna start newspaper business.
I shouldn’t have responded to you but I felt there is need for me advice you to apply some senses when responding to post. The post was almost a decade, the industry has revolutionized and we are moving with it.............
Re: What Are The Requirements For Starting A Newspaper by addexx: 8:40pm On Dec 22, 2019
labamo07:

I shouldn’t have responded to you but I felt there is need for me advice you to apply some senses when responding to post. The post was almost a decade, the industry has revolutionized and we are moving with it.............

My bad. Didnt check the date. grin.

(1) (Reply)

Disclosure Of Customer BVN Subject To Court Order, CBN Tells Banks / Look What Palmcredit Sent Me / Who Was The First Nigerian Cbn Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.