Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! (1670 Views)

Software Architecture - Don't Ignore The Big Picture / I Can Use Vb.net Perfectly But Pls How Can I Write A Phone Application With It / A Desperate IT Guy, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 1:38am On Dec 05, 2011
Hey programmers,my name's Bosa,I'm 17 I just graduated from secondary school I'm presently based in Port Harcourt,unfortunately couldn't get admitted this year,im takin MCITP networking courses at NIIT but I'm really intrested in Java,I've started studying it on my own with the aid of videos and ebooks,but honestly I find it difficult,probably because I lack the right motivation or because I don't have likeminds to sitdown and gain wisdom from, so please I'm calling out,to someone!! Anyone!! Please come to my aid!! I need to be able to share experiences!! In other words I need Java friends and mentors please, I'm desperate, you could reach me anytime on 07061879737,hangoutwithgeezy@yahoo.com,IYobosa Rehoboth on FB @prodi_geezy on twitter,and 2453C44E on bbm, Thanx everyone, pls ill be expecting contact from a lifesaver soon.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by ultraGM: 3:10pm On Dec 05, 2011
Contact this Guy https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=439732

But know that Programming is not Indomie so Buckle your shoe
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 3:14pm On Dec 05, 2011
Thanks,I know its not easy,I'm determined, at all costs
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by ultraGM: 9:59pm On Dec 05, 2011
BTW am sure you have JSDK if not get or download @ least the latest

And try ans see if you can understand this Book if you Read it

[url]http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/javanotes4.zip (HTML Version)[/url]

[url]http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/javanotes4.pdf (PDF Version)[/url]
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 10:46pm On Dec 05, 2011
Thanks a lot,prior to your reply,I already had the whole suite installed,I've started learning the basics in my own little way,thanks for the material too,I'm finding it helpful,
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Khoded(m): 4:52am On Dec 09, 2011
Mee too m in the same shoes wit iyobizzle,don't even know anything at all, I nid help to get d ebooks to learn tje basics first,thanks.trsg2001@gmail.com, 22FDC91E on bbm pls am very despirate pls help
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by ultraGM: 2:43pm On Dec 09, 2011
Have you Downloaded the Book Posted above.

The reason why i posted that for you is that the book is licensed Creative common
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Mobinga: 12:39am On Dec 10, 2011
Geez no need for all that detail, bro.

When I first started out, it was hell. I couldn't get the hang of it, it was seemingly quite confusing entirely.

Well I strongly believe you should move away from the strongly-typed Java and study an easier, loose language like PHP for you to get the hang of how things work in programming generally. I don't think you should worry your brain on stuff like classes, objects, polymorphism, abstraction, encapsulation (as a matter of fact Object-Oriented P in its entirety) and all those nonsense most book authors would put in and label it "Java for Beginners". They're not for beginners they are for people who generally have the hang of programming and what not.

What I suggest you do is learn Procedural Programming first as that could be your edge.  What I mean by Procedural is kinda like a gradual movement of your code (not well put), but you might get the idea with this :

Procedural :

int a = 5;
        int b = 6;
        int c = a * b;
    System.out.Println(c);

OOP :

public class math(){

public int calc(int a, int b){

return a*b;
        }

public static void main(String . . . args){
           System.out.Println( calc(5,6) )
        }
}

You should get my point as the Object Oriented Style is what 99% of every book you use to learn java would start off with. You need to learn first the easy before progressing to the difficult. So my recommendation is to learn something procedural like PHP generally, it's very easy to learn and would/should give you a head start.

If you are interested in PHP just click here : http://www.google.com.ng/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=beginner+php+wamp

But if you're still bent on learning Java you should always come here, bump me or visit http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/java.

Also when I was learning Java I used the book by Deitel I got a pirated version online, and started up with it, but it's very verbose.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5178878/Deitel_Java_How_to_Program_7th_edition.rar

Just hit me up, whenever.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 3:01pm On Dec 10, 2011
Mo'b, that was qiute a lot to process bro, I got the book by deitel,but its the 4th edition I rigged up,had it on my pc prior to this moment,I think I wanna stick with java, I took little peeks at c++,phyton,php and all that before I finally settled in for java, ill take your advice though,I'll go and dig up something about understanding the whole programming concept as a whole.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Fayimora(m): 3:13pm On Dec 10, 2011
Hmm anyways, Java is not really a bad language to start with. BUT as Mobinga said, you gotta start from Procedural Programming. Am surprised to see a link to my profile there, lolz anyways go and get "Java in easy steps." Its a very small book and costs only £6. It would get you prepared for the other books.

Happy learning.

Oh before i forget have you written "Hello world?", lol
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 3:41pm On Dec 10, 2011
Ok,thank you, and yes I've written "hello world" my first succesful java program, lol
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 3:43pm On Dec 10, 2011
For the past few days now,when I try to run a set of codes I get a message that from my compiler that says "fatal exception,program will now exit" why??
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Fayimora(m): 3:51pm On Dec 10, 2011
Errr, what language ?? Also post the compete error here
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2011
Java ,"fatal exception,program will now exit" that's the message
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Fayimora(m): 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2011
Wow, looks strange, post your program then, The error is vague!
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 4:02pm On Dec 10, 2011
Import java.util.scanner
class apples{
public static void main (string args []) {
Scanner geezy = new scanner (system.in);
sytem.out.println(geezy.nextLine());
}
}

That's d program, whenever I try to run it,I get that message,its supposed to be used to key in my user inputs
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Fayimora(m): 4:57pm On Dec 10, 2011
[size=14pt]Well the program is wrong, syntactically.

import is a keyword so it shouldn't be 'Import' but 'import',  String is a class and not a primitive type so it should be 'String' and not 'string'. Using small letters is C++ style. Scanner is a class. However, you started declaring the object properly but messed up the instance. Fix that using the tip above. Also, System is a class and not a variable or a primitive type.

In C, you create an array like this => "int numbers[]", however the case is different in java. When writing Java code you do this => "int[] numbers". Yes, your c-style declaration would work but its not the convention. The developers of Java only left that in so its easy for C programmers to easily write Java code. If you are a Java programmer, then stick to the Java conventions.

Note that it is a convention in Java to 'camel case' some identifiers. They include:

Class names - Starts with capital letters and all other conjoined words are camel cased. e.g JOptionPane, Scanner, ArrayList.
Variable/method names = Starts with small letters,  e.g, getNames(), changeArrayOfNumbers().

I fixed 3 errors but left a few others. Try and fix them using the tips above.

Goodluck[/size]
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 5:21pm On Dec 10, 2011
The way I represented my code is okay,I fixed those errors, debbuged it earlier sef,but I still get that message.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Fayimora(m): 5:43pm On Dec 10, 2011
[size=13pt]Then lets see your new code!!! That code you posted above is so not correct! However, that error is not what i expected you to get. Post your ORIGINAL code if you need help.[/size]
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Chimanet(m): 6:16pm On Dec 10, 2011
@OP
am gonna give u a lil tip here.
from ur code it shows u r geting along well, but when reading from the command prompt. u need to read the input first, save it in a suitable variable, before u attempt to print it or do some tin else with it.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Iyobizzle(m): 7:50pm On Dec 10, 2011
Hey guys, good evening,I've fixed the problem,it wasn't from my code,or compiler.it was my Java virtual machine launcher, I restarted my system and ran the the codes again,I didn't get the error message anylonger,thanks for your contributions.
Re: This May Sound Cheesy Or Desperate,but Pls Do Not Ignore! by Chimanet(m): 9:56pm On Dec 10, 2011
U r welcome

(1) (Reply)

Which Is Better Inline Javascript Or External Javascript / Python Programmers' Lounge / Sudoku And Linear Algebra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.