Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,812 members, 7,817,356 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. (10030 Views)

Interested In Learning How To Sew? Learn Dart Manipilation Here / Who Is Interested In Learning How To Make Ankara Footwears For Females? / Learning How To Make/mix Skin Soaps And Creams. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by VENUSS(f): 8:07am On Dec 08, 2011
2yrs go i bought a sewing machine in a bid to learn to sew, but menn it has'nt been easy. I tink i got a bad sewing machine, its always givin me hard time and i cant get a good designer where am based to learn. Am also married so i cant travel to lagos to learn. If there is any1 on here that is learnin to sew, lets meet and discus challenges nd ways to tackle them. Lets inspire each oda nd so on. Advice from pros wil be wel appreciated too. I've bin learning on my own
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Darhmee(f): 10:33am On Dec 08, 2011
nothing feels so good like making ur dresses urslf , wat exactly do u wanna know bout it, i may just b of help wink
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 08, 2011
My dear, am also interested to know how to sew and design for myself, I am base in Port harcourt any idea on whom to guide me in ph?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Darhmee(f): 11:25am On Dec 08, 2011
Oh sorry Stacey, I av no idea bout any designer in PH
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by VENUSS(f): 5:47pm On Dec 08, 2011
Darhmee:

nothing feels so good like making your dresses urslf , wat exactly do u wanna know bout it, i may just b of help wink
tnx dear, first , wil hav to gt my sewin machine in good condition. It moves slowly nd d thread cut like every second. I v changed both needle nd thread but no. Any sugestn. But wil take it 4 repair by d wknd. Pls advice on a beta brand of sewing machine cos i wil need to impress huby b4 he can gt me anoda.
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by VENUSS(f): 10:50am On Dec 09, 2011
STACYM:

My dear, am also interested to know how to sew and design for myself, I am base in Port harcourt any idea on whom to guide me in ph?
[quote .u shuld check ur area,i hear there are hot tailors in ph. It shuldnt be any diffcult . Goodluck.
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Darhmee(f): 10:57am On Dec 09, 2011
Venuus even if i direct you on how to fix the thread cutting ish, i dont think u are gonna understand it so, our best bet now is for u to take it to those who repair sewing machines so they can amend it and also service it 4 ya
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Damsal(f): 2:03pm On Dec 09, 2011
Aww this is so exciting, I’ve wanted to start a thread on topic this for a while but something always came up, so thank you Venuss for starting this. I’ve been practicing and learning to sew, and I have to say it takes a lot of patience and focus. The problem with your sewing could be the thread but you may also want to get it checked, you can get a Singer machine that tailors use in Nigeria it must be much better

This is the link to a blog that I have been spying on but she doesn’t put up pattern however she does a lot of diy stuff that can be very helpful if you love to revamp your wardrobe http://emblemofbeauty..com/

Also if you have any trouble and need help trying to make something feel free to ask I can always help with creating the pattern or Darhmee as she has offered. I will also try and put up other links that I can find and there are also a lot of things you can find on YouTube
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Damsal(f): 3:30pm On Dec 09, 2011
This is what I’m working on now, I have already made the dress in red Ankara fabric but it is not the same thing, I only had about 1.5 yards of fabric so the sleeve had to be readjusted. Where I live I don’t have much access to Ankara so I have to make do with whatever I can get from my mum or I find around the house, I also didn’t do it with the neck embellishment. I will try and make the dress again in a different kind of fabric http://whimsyprints..com/2010/11/dresses-dresses-dresses.html

This is another one that I want to get done in about a week or two http://glam.co.uk/2011/11/covet-the-marilyn-monroe-look/oasis-volume-fit-and-flare-dress-30/

Here are some links that I have found to help with the pattern making process

Here’s a YouTube link on how to make a skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htVUoRp5io

And here’s another link on how to make a top pattern (thing is instead of measuring from the neck as she says I think you should start from your shoulder) you can also lengthen the pattern to make a dress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxhh1MLsxCg
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Sirheed89(m): 8:48pm On Dec 09, 2011
Hello room, plz am a fashion designer a fresh one tho, plz i need links to site where i can view patterns on how to make shirts
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by VENUSS(f): 7:47am On Dec 11, 2011
@damsal, tnks so much, ur dress are nice, nd ur blog a good idea. hmm, i tink am gona start one too. For how long have u been sewing? Keep it up.
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Damsal(f): 9:42pm On Dec 12, 2011
Sirheed i dunno any websites in particular but you can try and search online you are bound to find something.

@venuss
Yeah you should start one, it is so good for people who are looking for help and it is also a good way to let people see your designs. Here is another blog i found she's actually really good, she even does wedding dresses http://gbemisoke..com/
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by Aliceyoung: 8:29am On Dec 28, 2011
There are simple tips on youtube for young girl's dress.

http://www.50thstudio.com/home.php
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by xanadu333: 2:28pm On Jan 13, 2012
I had d same challenge on brand new sew'g mach named butter fly n butterfly mach happed 2 b d best then, but now it is china dt is much in market n my was 2 mnth old, I hv spent money on repair n servic'g, one de with d anger in me I took it 2 were I bought with d receipt 2 d guy's shop n I explained 2 him, he Adviced me 2 get a tokunbo singer mach dt it will cost me money I told him no problem he bought d butterfly 4rm nt with d leg i.e d table , I went with d head d machine itself, he bought it n I added 5k 2 get a good tokunbo singer mach work'g perfectly no problem only 2 service n it comes with tokunbo touch light attached 2 d mach n d mach motor same tokunbo. My advice 4 u is dt tokunbo mach are d best while brand machs any type are full of china n one can nt differenciate btw china n original thks u can call on dis line wen u hv any challenge I am also married n a female 08036597294 I reside in lagos wit my husband
Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by larex321(f): 9:24pm On Sep 01, 2014
Learn how to sew n make clothes @ Fashion Lily

3months: #35,000
6months: #60,000
1year : #95,000

Enjoy 40% discount when you register b4 10th of september. Class starts in september.

Venue: Akowonjo, Lagos
Registration Form: #2,000

Call 08106355822 or add 215EA8BA
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn ankara craft @ Fashion Lily (bags,purses n accessories)
Bacis: #15,000
Advance: #25,000
Enjoy 20%discount in september

Call 08106355822 or add 215EA8BA.

Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by larex321(f): 8:29pm On Sep 08, 2014
More pics

Re: Learning How To Make Your Own Dress? Join Me Here. by jolcia: 1:06pm On Mar 10, 2015
Hello room, I would like to make my nigerian dress but i need patterns. Maybe ,
smb knows web sites where i can see or buy those patterns.

(1) (Reply)

Order Your Neatly Braided Wigs Now. Unbeatable Prices! / Senegalese Twist Vs Kinki Twist / Exclusive Beaded Jewelry Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.