Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Remove The Spam Bot - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Remove The Spam Bot (1829 Views)

What Is Wrong With The Anti-spam Bot / Seun! Unrightful Banning By The Anti Spam Bot / Quiz: How Do You Bypass. . .(not The Spam Bot Again This Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remove The Spam Bot by moderattor: 9:35am On Dec 14, 2011
i opened this thread to open the eyes of the moderators to something they cant see from an admin position.
What is pulling down nairaland is not lack of content or presense of competition.
But loosing users in the prensense of competition.

@seun
your users have options from your competors so why on earth are you banning them?
(abitrarily)
That useless spam bot is the reason your alexa rank is pointing down.

The worst is that we have to beg for weeks before the names are unbanned.

This forces users to create more user names and endup having them banned again.
I have 17 nairaland usernames and this is the last surviving one.
Two were banned yesterday simultaneously!
Divide the total number of registered users by 3, thats the actul number of nairaland members.
If not checked, in due time, that spam bot will kill (ban) nairaland.
Guys what do you think?

How many times have you been banned?
*if you support this point End your comment with 'remove the spam bot'*
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by moderattor: 9:37am On Dec 14, 2011
@seun
remove the spambot.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by deco2come: 11:00am On Dec 14, 2011
I got your point brother. I think the spam bot aka moderators are a little bit aggressive. Though I don't find them guilty because they are running their business the best possible way they think is perfect for their business. As you know, every business has rules.

Their case remains me of what happened during the swine flu that originated from Mexico. During those period, China banned all fright from Mexico. The Mexicans that wants to enter China will go through Japan and then book another fright from Japan to China. Then you will start asking yourself the essence of China banning fright from Mexico since they can still enter the country.

The same is happening on nairaland where the spam bot/human will ban a user and within open within 15 seconds you will see the user with a new account. Did Seun and the Moderators stop the user? The Answer is "No".

But if Seun remove the banning, a lot of folks will abuse the privilege. The banning has its advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage of it is that it force users to create multiple accounts.

I think the best way to tackle this is instead of banning users, the moderators should delete the post(s) they find offensive.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by moderattor: 12:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
^^ ok got your point
nairaland should use moderators but
*remove the spam bots* ?
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Phate07(m): 12:22pm On Dec 14, 2011

You are pouring water on a stone.

I advise you to use your precious time on something more productive. Cheers!
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Slyr0x: 1:25pm On Dec 14, 2011
This has been said over & over & over & over-again. .buh sadly, there's lil/nothing we the MODs can do about it. . undecided

BTW @Deco, users get banned by the SpamBot and NOT the MODs as we don't have the priv to do so
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by moderattor: 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2011
Slyr0x:

This has been said over & over & over & over-again. .buh sadly, there's lil/nothing we the MODs can do about it. . undecided

BTW @Deco, users get banned by the SpamBot and NOT the MODs as we don't have the priv to do so

if you cant , then you guys should call seun to that.
Too much rules spoil the art.
*remove the spambot*
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 14, 2011
very funny
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Slyr0x: 8:07am On Dec 15, 2011
Call Seun to what? What makes you think Seun aint reading yo posts? undecided
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by deco2come: 8:14pm On Dec 15, 2011
Slyr0x:

You might be right but one thing is sure."Spambots follow the rule(s) given to it". For example, if I set the spambot not to allow any person with this username "jacobcasis", or any website with this name "example.com", the spambot will start monitoring such names when anyone make a post.

It is exactly the same way anti-virus program works. It follows the rules given to it by its programmer,it goes through the blacklist of unwanted names each time a program wants to run on your system.

Who do you think that ban the person? Of course it is the person that set the rule(s). The program did its final job
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
^^^Now you are talking of a good spam bot that follows orders, not an okrika one bought from paro or from alaba market.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Phate07(m): 10:26pm On Dec 15, 2011
*dhtml:

^^^Now you are talking of a good spam bot that follows orders, not an okrika one bought from paro or from alaba market.

Rotfl grin grin grin
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Slyr0x: 11:31am On Dec 16, 2011
deco2come:

You might be right but one thing is sure."Spambots follow the rule(s) given to it". For example, if I set the spambot not to allow any person with this username "jacobcasis", or any website with this name "example.com", the spambot will start monitoring such names when anyone make a post.

It is exactly the same way anti-virus program works. It follows the rules given to it by its programmer,it goes through the blacklist of unwanted names each time a program wants to run on your system.

Who do you think that ban the person? Of course it is the person that set the rule(s). The program did its final job

Who set the rule(s)? The MODs or the Admin? You're still missing my point bro!
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 16, 2011
As if seun will ever listen, It is up to seun and not the moderators. Even moderators get banned by the bot.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by moderattor: 6:54pm On Dec 16, 2011
then you guys should drop seun's number , i'll like to call him.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by soloqy: 9:41pm On Dec 16, 2011
moderattor:

then you guys should drop seun's number , i'll like to call him.

What I gather from the mods is that the final say as to who and what the bots ban, belongs to Seun. If he refuses to sort things out(as am sure he reads this and all the other complaints), then you or the mods cant force him to change. Best one could do for oneself is to use those other alternatives out there.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 16, 2011
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by soloqy: 10:58pm On Dec 16, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
There are no alternatives to Nairaland. Sure there are copycats, but no better alternative.

So are you Seun?

I said 'alternatives' = substitute, option, choice, other. I didnt qualify it as 'better' alternative.

Besides if they are complaining, as the OP is, the next thing would be to try the alternatives as he himself mentioned in his post, no?

Another thing though, there was a time Linkserve and Multilinks were the 'GOTO' in Internet access in the country. Today they are no where to be found amongst the top 10. That should be a lesson for anyone in any sort of endeavour. Dont take it for granted that you are the top now and belittle people or discard their suggestions and complaints as nonsense.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 16, 2011
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by soloqy: 12:01am On Dec 17, 2011
^^^^^^^
lol , I asked if you were Seun, because the second statement(which you subsequently and rightly termed as redundant) sounded like a brag from someone on the inside.

Maybe the people complaining, genuinely want the site to function well and even grow more. And like someone earlier mentioned, the bots can be made a little more flexible. At 'Making a better site', they dont need to be programming gurus to set up a forum site. The issue is the years of online presence that Nairaland has garnered and that doesnt come easy.

Myself, I will stay in my calling and face my core business area and Forum is not part of it. The only thing I do with forums , is to comment on them.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Ymodulus: 7:23am On Dec 17, 2011
Nairaland will die. Fall. The site will go in complete ruins. Believe me then that stubborn headed guy or devil and his big headed gal frnd mukina will both learn there lessons. Rubbish
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 17, 2011
When I was a moderator, I dragged the spambot issue with seun very much - but no headway.
There are better sites in Nigeria than nairaland, there are even better Nigerian forums.
The thing is, nairaland has a better online status because of time.
When did vanguard's website become relevant?
If I have the kinda traffick that seun has here, I will not just sit down and dey look like that. is my personal site, but u can see what I am doing with it. And yet that is just phase 1, the real deal will start next year. I am still at the coding phase - a lot of coding at that.

And that traffick, I am going to get it. I don't need years for my site to enter top 10, a few months is all I need - and yes, I wil implement those brilliant ideas and more sef - at the right time too.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2011
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 18, 2011
*dhtml:

When I was a moderator, I dragged the spambot issue with seun very much - but no headway.
There are better sites in Nigeria than nairaland, there are even better Nigerian forums.
The thing is, nairaland has a better online status because of time.
When did vanguard's website become relevant?
If I have the kinda traffick that seun has here, I will not just sit down and dey look like that. is my personal site, but u can see what I am doing with it. And yet that is just phase 1, the real deal will start next year. I am still at the coding phase - a lot of coding at that.

And that traffick, I am going to get it. I don't need years for my site to enter top 10, a few months is all I need - and yes, I wil implement those brilliant ideas and more sef - at the right time too.
i get ur point my brother

i have 2 usernames, all thanks to the spambot.

first time i got banned, i took it personal but later realized it was actually automated and was unbanned

same for most users here. 100 ppl cant be wrong.
the spambot is overdoing it's work.
Re: Remove The Spam Bot by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 18, 2011
We are all wrong, since seun has more traffick than us at the moment. . .am now at 304 NG. Still a stretch to go, maybe i will need webdezzi's help.

(1) (Reply)

Video Blogging Sensation Zoella Splashes Out On £1m Five- Bedroom Mansion / Vbhostnet.com Is A Scammer And A Fraudulent Web Hosting In Nigeria / Crawler Error Any Help Google Ads Showing It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.