Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? (2708 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! / Will You Denounce Your Faith At Gun Point? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by burteeone(m): 10:03pm On Mar 12, 2006
Like to know this may be we love God to the extent of execution. Lets presume that army robbers come to someones house and said Choose God to daeth and choose Satan to live.

Which one will you do? God!!

Remember that they are with long SWORD shocked shocked, !! in their hand to cut off someones head. cry

For me prefare to choose God to death. wot bout you cry?
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Seun(m): 10:48pm On Mar 12, 2006
I will choose Satan immediately. Later I can repent. And if my wife is a Christian, I will tell her to shut up and choose Satan on her behalf. Later she can repent, too.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by choiceA: 12:28am On Mar 13, 2006
First of all, may God not make anyone of us see that kind of calamity! Amen.

However, if it comes to choosing between my God and anything else, I'd choose to re-affirm my faith in Him, even in the face of death. You know, if the robber was actually bent on robbing, he would take whatever he fancied and not be too concerned about what I believed in - God or Satan. If, however, he was more miffed about my beliefs and asked me to choose Satan in order to live, I already know he has a mindset of the devil - it would be Satan himself pushing me to renounce God: and who knows if the robber would not play Russian roulette and pull the trigger anyway? There's no guarantee that dare-devil robbers ever keep their word. So, just in case he pulls the trigger or swings his sword, I'd be by far the better for it when I open my eyes at the other side of the celestial gates. Think of the lose if I chose Satan and the robber 'mistakenly' kpai man pickin - who I go blame? Haa!! Baba God, help us to have faith in you!!

Besides, whatever choice I make reflects the genuineness of my commitment and profession of faith. I would rather stay firm till the end than flag about and achieve nothing. In all, I pray God to grant us wisdom; maybe a gentle spirit might lessen the robber's harrassments (if it would not earn me a few more slaps in the end); but, nothing stops me from bolting through the window if I have the clear chance to; otherwise ___!! I'm only being humanly honest.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Badman888(m): 4:11am On Mar 13, 2006
Most of us would say now we would not change our Faith but as Seun said when we re panicking we would just change our decesion.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Fluffy(f): 9:03am On Mar 13, 2006
You know if you read the bible you will see that it is actualy going to happen to the Christians left behind after the rapture in the last days.
And once you choose Satan there will be no more turning back and u get the mark of the beast 666. but for those who endure until the end
even go through torture and still confess Jesus Christ as their savior, there will be mercy and they can still go to heaven.
So be careful what u choose.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by twinstaiye(m): 9:32am On Mar 13, 2006
Very simple. I will renounce my faith by mouth but hold tenaciously to it with my heart, my mind and my soul. This is possible because while renouncing it with my mouth, my mind is thinking, my heart is with God.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by deyemi(m): 11:28am On Mar 13, 2006
Like the three hebrew children in Babylon. I'll choose God who is able to save and if in His Sovereignity He choose not to save me at that time. I will still hold on to Him.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by 4getme1(m): 11:29am On Mar 13, 2006
Wow! Have you considered that your speech reflects what's going on in your heart before God? In Christianity, what you say with your mouth is equivalent to the thoughts of your heart and mind: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." [Psa.19:14]. In Matt.15:8, the mouth, lips and hearts go together, or everything is a waste of time.  Just a thought.

It's a difficult situation, and as choice.A noted, may God not let us see such bad things. If I ever find myself in any situation to choose between God and the devil, I'll choose God. I daily pray for the faith to stay unshakable in my commitment. Job was in a bad situation, and the same thing we're asking about happened to him - his wife asked him to curse God and die! [Job 2:9]. I've once had 'cold metal' (gun) pointed at my temples, but thank God the robber didn't ask me to choose between God and death or the devil. He only asked me not to move or bang-bang! For hours after the incident, I was in shock. Okay, first time experience - but thank God I survived. My faith was made stronger by that incident, and I could say that I'll have the confidence to choose God again if I face a dire situation like that.

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. - James 1:8.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by alheri(f): 11:50am On Mar 13, 2006
If you deny him before men, He will deny you before his father in heaven.

Seun:

I will choose Satan immediately. Later I can repent. And if my wife is a Christian, I will tell her to shut up and choose Satan on her behalf. Later she can repent, too.

so Mr. Admin, what if your wife is a muslim? Or Jewish? Or athiest for that matter? And what will you be repenting from? Me thought you was athiest?
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Seun(m): 12:03pm On Mar 13, 2006
Well, as an atheist I am also not supposed to believe in the devil, so I have to repent of that afterwards! cheesy
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by babymine(f): 12:04pm On Mar 13, 2006
Well, in situations like that you can't predict what your actions might turn out to be. I pray God gives me the grace to choose him.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by donnie(m): 1:10pm On Mar 13, 2006
I pray so too. But u see, if you do not determine and declare by the Spirit what your actions would and should be, you will not be able to put yourself together when the evil day comes. So u put on your amour of faith now against the evil day.

It will be a great honour for me to lay down my life for my faith in Jesus. I will gladly choose christ.

However, that is if they succeed in takin my life. If God dosnt approve of it, it dosnt matter what weapons they come with, they will not prosper.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by burteeone(m): 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2006
Seun God will forgive you as mention earlier. But for me I choose God first.It is not easy but remember that is the Holy Spirit that will quicken our mortal body. If the Spirit of Him that raise up Jesus is not in you. 100% of lie, Choose the Spirit of God. cry cry cry
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by TYPOP(m): 7:55pm On Mar 13, 2006
twinstaiye:

Very simple. I will renounce my faith by mouth but hold tenaciously to it with my heart, my mind and my soul. This is possible because while renouncing it with my mouth, my mind is thinking, my heart is with God.

@twinstaiye
Have you seen this passage before?
Mat 10:32: Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
I don’t want to post the next verse but you should know what is there. I think you need a re-think so you know what you really want to say if faced with a situation like that.

Seun:

Mr Adminstrator,
I think the above passage also applies to you but you also have a peculiar case because I saw one of your posts about sex and I am not even sure if you are a Christian.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-8287.0.html#msg239708
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-481.288.html#msg104024

alheri:

so Mr. Admin, what if your wife is a muslim? Or Jewish?,

You said:

Seun:

Well, as an atheist I am also not supposed to believe in the devil, so I have to repent of that afterwards! cheesy

Now, if she were an atheist, do you think you would have been able to convince her much later to become a Christian? You would have locked the door of her heart to God forever unless God intervenes.

What would I have done?
I think I would have followed Paul who said
For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. (Phi 1:21)
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Seun(m): 9:02pm On Mar 13, 2006
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Anjessica: 11:47pm On Mar 13, 2006
NO Look what happened to Judas and look what happened to Peter one committed Suicide and the other felt guilty. The only difference between them is one knew to repent and God forgave him but why go through that. The bible says that during the end times true Christians will be prosecuted and those that endure it will be the victors.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Fluffy(f): 7:13am On Mar 14, 2006
That's exacly what I was saying!
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by twinstaiye(m): 9:30am On Mar 14, 2006
TYPOP:

@twinstaiye
Have you seen this passage before?
Mat 10:32: Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
I don’t want to post the next verse but you should know what is there. I think you need a re-think so you know what you really want to say if faced with a situation like that.

Thanks typop, but no thanks, am a Muslim. And from my faith, I couldnt possibly remember very well now, but I heard a story when I was young of either a prophet of God or a well respected saint who face similar situations and renounce his faith by mouth but not by mind and heart.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by alheri(f): 9:47am On Mar 14, 2006
@seun, you definately dont know what it means to be an atheist. So who will you be repenting to?Its either youre really lost/confused or just been plain patronising to the christian faith.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Seun(m): 9:57am On Mar 14, 2006
Each time I succumb to the religious intolerance of someone else, I feel very bad about it. That's why I don't go to church even when I'm trying to get hooked up with a Christian girl. So I will have to forgive myself.

Yes, I am patronizing to Christians, because I understand your plight. I have been in your tight shoes.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by alheri(f): 10:29am On Mar 14, 2006
My shoes aint tight. As a christian, there are things to be expected eg. obstacles to your faith and all kinds of persecutions. You'll get by with faith, by trusting in God and not reading your Bible up side down and wanting on the spot answers.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Fluffy(f): 11:16am On Mar 14, 2006
shame on you Seun, christanity is not about being in tight shoes. It's simply about being obedient to God and serving Him.
You do it by your own free will and it's not some kind of punishment. tongue
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by roses(f): 1:54am On Mar 16, 2006
good question. I can say one thing
" it is not by power , or by might but by my spirit says the Lord"
I believe only the holyspirt can give strength during the difficult times
"it is not you speaking but the spirit of my father,don't worry b4 hand about what you would say ".
some times God says run, some times God says stay , this calls for wisdom
in the bible peter was certain like many of us on the site. he said "jesus I can't deny you " , but Jesus emphasis was , "Peter I have prayed for you" . the disciple denied christ coz they were sleeping instead of praying .
I believe only praying people can take a stand for calvary and say like paul, ' to live is christ , to die is gain" .
to answer this question I shall say .
" only by the grace of God " but I pray it would never be our portion.
thanks
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by KAG: 2:05am On Mar 16, 2006

Like to know this may be we love God to the extent of execution. Lets presume that army robbers come to someones house and said Choose God to daeth and choose Satan to live.

Which one will you do?

Satan. I don't believe in the existence of either, so there's no conflict of ethics.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Grizzly(m): 3:31am On Mar 16, 2006
I'll choose
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by TYPOP(m): 5:59pm On Mar 19, 2006
I thought the title of this forum is "Christianity for CHRISTIANS".
Anyway, Christianity is not a religion. It is a way of life. We r Christians cos we choose to be not by force. God himself saved us by his grace but there was a panting in our hearts to do what was right. See?
God help us all. Amen.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by allonym: 10:40pm On Mar 22, 2006
The bible also says thou shall not kill, however, God instructed his people over and over again in the bible to kill others.

So, clearly, in a life or death situation, God will understand me saving my own life to serve him for another day.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by TYPOP(m): 8:01pm On Mar 23, 2006
@allonym
what if Christ comes at that instant?
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by Seun(m): 8:38pm On Mar 23, 2006
The probability of that is very very low. You people have been waiting for thousands of years!
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by TYPOP(m): 9:10pm On Mar 23, 2006
He'll come back sooner or later. The earlier you align yourself, the better. Don't forget you could also die anytime as well. This is also deadly. What if you renounce your faith and he still kills you? HELL? I don't want to think about it after all these service for Him because I love Him

Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by allonym: 6:00am On Mar 24, 2006
like I said, God has repeatedly commanded israelites to kill and steal, despite COMMANDING them not to do so.

I feel confident that if Jesus showed up, he would understand that like him, I'm about my father's business.
Re: Will You Renounce Your Faith If Your Life Is Threatened? by alfredpoto: 11:14pm On Mar 29, 2009
NO,d early christians hold on 2 dear faith even d apostles so i wil hold on 2 mine no mata what

(1) (Reply)

Jehovah's Witnesses: Who Are They? / Some Questions For Noetic16 / Are We To Ask For The Holy Spirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.