Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone (2817 Views)

Aston Villa Vs Arsenal ( 0 - 2) On 13th December 2015 / Chelsea Vs Aston Villa (2 - 0) On 17th October 2015 / Arsenal vs Aston Villa: FA Cup (4 - 0) On 30th May 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by channel801(f): 1:47pm On Dec 15, 2011
Barcelona have confirmed David Villa is set to be sidelined for between "four and five months" after the Spain striker broke his shinbone in Thursday's 4-0 Club World Cup semi-final victory over Al-Sadd.

The 30-year-old was carried off on a stretcher six minutes before half-time and Barça announced soon after that he had suffered a "fracture to the tibia in his left leg". The player was taken to hospital in Yokohama for further tests.

An updated statement on the Barça website read: "In the coming hours, Villa will return to Barcelona, via Frankfurt, to be operated on. He will be accompanied by doctor Ricard Pruna and Manel Estiarte. The approximate time he will be sidelined is between four and five months."

Villa remains optimistic he will be back in time for the European Championship, and also hopes he will be able to feature in the Champions League final in Munich on 19 May if the defending champions get that far.

In a message posted on his Facebook page, Villa said: "Hello everyone. Thanks for your support. The injury is a tough blow, but I'm sure that I'm going to recover as soon as possible, thinking about playing the final in Munich (I know my team-mates will take me there) and the European Championships.

"I'm going to work hard for it. I want them to count on me. Tomorrow I'll be in Spain. A big hug."

The news means Villa is likely to miss the majority of Barça's La Liga and Champions League campaigns, but could be available to world and European champions Spain for Euro 2012, which begins in June.

The Barça coach, Pep Guardiola, said: "He will be greatly missed as a colleague and as a player. I hope everything goes well. He will be out for a long time. It's a big blow to the team. We just hope that he can play again as soon as possible.

"David is very dear to us. The injury has saddened us all. Everyone can put themselves in his place and know how they would suffer if it happened to them. They feel for him. We must accept it and encourage him in his recovery."

Guardiola insisted that now was not the time to discuss January reinforcements in the light of Villa's absence. "Let us have compassion and respect," he said. "Let's give it time. Now is not the time to talk about it."

"We are going to miss Villa," the Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcântara said. "We hope it isn't too bad. When you play you never think that these things can happen. It was bad luck." He added: "There is a long way to go [until Euro 2012]."

Barcelona won the game 4-0, and will face Santos in the final on Sunday. The Brazilian defender Adriano scored twice in the first half – his opener helped by a moment of hesitation from the Al-Sadd goalkeeper Mohamed Saqr. After the break, Seydou Keita and Maxwell added another two to complete a comprehensive win.

On Wednesday Guardiola had denied the club had been actively trying to sell the 30-year-old Villa only 19 months into the four-year deal agreed following his €40m (£33.5m) transfer from Valencia.

Villa has scored five times in 15 league appearances this season, following his 18 goals in 34 games as Barça won the Primera División title last season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/dec/15/david-villa-six-months-breaking-leg
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by KenJADE(m): 8:01am On Dec 16, 2011
pls read dat newspaper again. It says between four and five months
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Again2(m): 11:45am On Dec 16, 2011
Thats good news as i want Barcelona to be knocked out of champions league. cool
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by stepo707: 11:57am On Dec 16, 2011
Villa my man.Please get well soon.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 16, 2011
Again2:

Villa is not the problem, Messy is the wahala
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Again2(m): 12:07pm On Dec 16, 2011
odiaero:

Villa is not the problem, Messy is the wahala

Yea but villa is equally good.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by karpenter: 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2011
Thats good news as i want Barcelona to be knocked out of champions league. 

Somebody is critically wounded and you declare "good news". That's pretty sadistic.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by mystikal(m): 1:09pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sucks when players get long term injuries like that.

Hope he recovers well.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Mcleo007(m): 1:26pm On Dec 16, 2011
Again2:

Did u think deep before saying this?
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Babamide(m): 2:40pm On Dec 16, 2011
I hope he won't play Euro 2o12. That would give Torres a chance. Hope Soldado is not in-form.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 16, 2011
He'll be missed. As a Barca fan, I wish him speedy recovery.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by itiswell1(m): 6:04pm On Dec 16, 2011
Sorries Villa.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by ogazi007(m): 6:38pm On Dec 16, 2011
There is absolutly nothing to be happy about really.Barca will remain your nightmare with or without Villa.i wish him quick recovery.its time to give Soriano a chance to clear haters doubt that inasmuch Lamasia is still in existance,Barca will never lack options in our attack.
Forza Barca.
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by snj: 10:40am On Dec 17, 2011
Villa, wish you quick recovery. your absence is no doubt a blow to FCB attack but trust your guys, they'll surely remain tight to guaranttee your playing in the UCL final.

kiss
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by freezy(m): 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2011
Villa out. . .
Messi to go next. angry angry
Re: Barcelona's David Villa Faces Five Months Out After Breaking Shinbone by efepro(m): 4:12pm On Dec 17, 2011
Isaac quenca is a better replacement

(1) (Reply)

La Liga; Athletico Madrid Vs Fcbarcelona On 11th January,@8pm / Ronaldinho Overtakes Beckham In Earnings / Official: Manchester United Completes Robin Van Persie's Signing Officially

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.