Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria (17525 Views)

Pictures Of Abiriba - The Small London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by KINGKONG(m): 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2006
Culled from vanguard

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/viewpoints/vp504042005.html
Rising from its long years of slumber as a civil service state, Akwa Ibom State under Governor Victor Attah presently appears to be in a hurry to tansform itself into an industrial haven through accelerated infrastructural development and urban modernisation. Judith Ufford, Features Editor, who visited parts of the state recently, reports.

THERE is something unique about Ibom Plaza. Alone, it stands out as the first of its kind in the history of city modernisation in Nigeria. Located in the centre of Uyo the capital of Akwa Ibom State, it is a sprawling enclave of sassy shops, water fountains, beautiful bougainvillaea and rose flowers, a viewing centre with wide-screen TV, sparkling walkways and overhead bridges and strategically located park seats. It is like the famous Trafalgar Square in London’s central shopping district or somewhere in the centre of flower-crazy Amsterdam. To go straight to the point: Ibom Plaza is a beautiful place. Indeed, like a work of art, it is an architectural delight with the imprint of a genius.

Designed by Obong Victor Attah, the Governor of Akwa Ibom himself, it came as a foretaste of what the architect-governor planned to do not only with the state capital whose Master Plan he drew, but with the entire Land of Promise. In no other city in Nigeria is there a place like Ibom Plaza. And that was probably what Attah set out to achieve. The plaza was finished in record time. It was fully put to use in 2001. But very soon after that, the Supreme Court’s judgement denying Akwa Ibom State its long-taken-for-granted status as an oil producing state was given. That judgement effectively robbed the state of the money and the prestige that came with such status, tools which the government needed to continue with its programme of infrastructure development and urban modernisation.

The consequence of such sudden loss of a huge chunk of its monthly revenue from the statutory allocation was that the Akwa Ibom State Government’s capital projects could not proceed as rapidly as they were meant to. As a result of this, critics began to say that the Attah administration’s projects were mostly 'white elephants' , that the government should have known it was not going to be able to finance such projects, thereby not embarking on them at all.

But since early last year when the oil-producing status of Akwa Ibom State was restored, such critics may well have been forced to eat their words.

For, since then, the state, to paraphrase the Commissioner for Works, Dr. Udoma Bob Ekarika, has become one giant construction site. From roads construction and rehabilitation to the building of the gargantuan Le Meridien Ibom Five star Hotel and Golf Course project; the setting up of the Ibom Independent Power Plant to the University of Technology and ICT Park, the Ibom Cargo/Hanger Airport to the construction and equipment of many hospitals and rehabilitation of existing ones, the government in Uyo appears to be doing so many things at the same time, all designed to transform Akwa Ibom State from a civil service economy to one driven by industrial production and tourism. Recently, some reporters in the state took an independent tour of some project sites with a view to verifying some of the claims being made by officials of the government on the number of capital projects going on in the state simultaneously.

Multi-sectoral approach

Their aim, however, was not only to, as they say, see things for themselves, they also used the opportunity to interact with some of the contractors handling the jobs at the sites so they could have correct information with which to put out stories on the social and economic development programme of the Attah administration in Akwa Ibom State. Their first port of call for inspection was the Le Meridien Ibom five Star Hotel. Works on projects such as the Five Star Hotel, Independent Power Plant, the University of Technology, renovation of schools and hospitals started in the first tenure of Governor Attah. But in 2004 fiscal year, the state government prioritised projects for execution based on their relevance to its development needs. It also adopted the strategy of expansion and rehabilitation of core infrastructure such as roads, markets, drainage, water supply, housing, parks, electricity and telecommunications.

The idea is to rapidly transform Akwa Ibom State through a multi-sectoral development approach and by so doing, increase productivity, generate employment, reduce poverty, create wealth, empower women and youth, thereby enhancing the socio-economic well being of the people of the state. To this end, the sum of N24.21billion was spent between January and September 2004 on the aforementioned capital projects. Also in the 2004 fiscal year, 14 road contracts were awarded at the cost of N29.48billion, covering the three senatorial districts of Uyo, Eket and Ikot Ekpene. "When we came in, we inherited practically nothing in terms of roads and people were complaining," said Dr. Ekarika, the Commissioner for Works, a medical doctor who until his appointment was Health Commissioner, explaining the apparent emphasis on roads.

"The government had to resolve that there must be development of good road network in the state. As such, a lot of money has been spent on roads in the state." And not just in the cities, although Ekarika said expectedly, more emphasis is laid on the state capital because "that is where people form their first impression about a state. But at the same time, we have had to site projects at the periphery too, so that development could radiate towards that side. "So, the policy thrust of this government is that we must provide access roads to areas of need so that we can use that to develop medium and smale-scale industries and also introduce investors into the country.

A practical edge to that policy was given recently when Governor Attah commissioned 93 rural-based projects as part of his government’s programme of opening up the country-side. The projects were executed by the Inter-ministerial Direct Labour Committee headed by the state Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Umana Okon Umana and which has received a lot of accolades for its efficiency. Ironically, some of the jobs done through contracts have not fared as well, a situation the state governor is quite unhappy about. Criticising the way and manner some of the contractors had handled their multi-million jobs, particularly Shelter Afrique Housing Projects and the 50 unit houses per local council across the state, Governor Attah threatened to bring the full weight of the law on the erring contractors, besides revoking their contracts.

Speaking at re-award of the contract for the state’s palm produce depot, among others, Obong Attah said contractors did a poor job in the housing project, pointing out that the action had necessitated renovation by the buyers of those houses. "Somebody will put conduit but no wires; somebody will fix the toilet but no tiles," the governor complained. During his routine monthly inspection of projects, Dr. Ekarika, for his part, warned the contractors handling road dualisation projects in Uyo to improve on the quality of their jobs or have their contracts awarded to other more serious construction firms. Ekarika is stung by complaints by residents about the quality and pace of work on some of the projects. He particularly frowned at the slow pace of work by KNCC Nigeria Limited, the construction company handling the Atiku-Abubakar dual-carriage way in Uyo city. To make good government’s threats, a section of the Uyo Five Star Hotel road dualisation Project was recently re-awarded to Mothercat Limited since Zerock which was originally awarded the contract appeared not to have shown enough seriousness in the execution of the project.

Zerock Construction also handles the Uyo-Airport dualisation project. But the Commissioner commended the firm handling the road project at the Uyo Industrial Estate and expressed satisfaction at the pace of work at the megawatts electricity sub-station being undertaken by the state government. The industrial estate when completed is expected to strengthen the industrial base of the state, ensure steady economic growth and attract serious investors to the state. Agro-allied processing firms are to be established in the industrial estate, to take advantage of the state government’s expanded agricultural production programme, which is beginning to yield fruits in the areas of cassava, palm nuts and livestock production.

Already some investors have acquired large expanses of land to start setting up their factories in the estate. Briefing newsmen at the end of the inspection by Dr. Ekarika, his Information counterpart, Mr. Parchi Umoh who accompanied him, restated government’s resolve to develop the state into a land of limitless opportunities for investment.

"I can tell you that Akwa Ibom is lucky because the same person who drew the Uyo Master Plan about 12 years ago happens to be the same person implementing it as governor and that is why we are seeing this level of commitment from government," Mr. Umoh enthused. However, some cynicism and doubts still trail some of the claims made by the state government, especially with regard to execution of those small-and-medium-scale economic projects by the state inter-ministerial direct labour committee. But Governor Attah was to assure the people of the state, while presenting his 2005 budget to the state House of Assembly, that the 93 direct labour projects consisting of 61 electricity, 27 mini-water and five sundry projects spread across the state, were real. "The list of completed projects is displayed and anybody could assess them for authentication," Obong Attah declared.

Cynical reports

To forestall such cynical reports and expression of doubts by the public as to the existence of these projects, the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor Mr. Ise Akpaso recently organised a tour of the project sites for the Correspondents Chapel in the state.

The team visited an erosion control site behind the School of Midwifery, Anua Offot where a land-filling project, being handled by Zerock Construction Company is being undertaken by the state government. The project manager Mr. Ali Hamga who spoke with journalists disclosed that the depth of the gully being sand-filled was about 650 metres and that the project would be completed in the next three months. When completed, it will greatly check the surging erosion that could destroy the entire school and its environs. Indeed, to protect its huge investment in infrastructure development and upgrading in the state, a handsome amount of N6.19billion was made available in the 2005 budget to the Environmental and Urban Development department of the Ministry of Works by the state government. This is to ensure timely completion of the various on-going drainage and flood control schemes in the state.

The sum of N2billion is particularly provided for the completion of the on-going Uyo Drainage Project especially Nkemba Trough. Among others, one particular project has, however, earned the applause of most Akwa Ibomites, even its arch-critics for the urban development effort of the Obong Attah administration. And that is the relocation of parks from the heart of Uyo main town which has always tended to make nonsense of the beautification of the city through indiscriminate mounting of motor parks by touts, to a more convenient location within the metropolis.

Located on a large expanse of land on the Ikot-Ekpene Road, the ultra-modern Uyo Motor Park has a capacity for 800 taxis and 200 luxury buses, boasts five hydrant fire engine equipment, 64 open stores and toilet facilities. Handled by Mallum Nigeria Limited, it is expected to be completed by April 2005 and will be the first of its kind in Nigeria when finally put to use.
And he is doing more

The airport is going to be the first of its kind in Africa and its going to have a two runway tarmac, and its going to have one of the sophisticated equipments,
Every streets, roads, lane is been tarred with good drainage systems, There is enough light on the streets, the streets is been changed from the Y shape to the new modern T shape.
Men! The Ibom 5 STAR hotel is been ranked as the world class hotel in Nigeria, Cos Nigeria doesn't have none, Ibom Plaza I don't need to talk about it , Just come and see for your self, The plasma TV is very large where its brings people from all spheres of The states together in case of Match watching, At nights it looks like London, The street are clean and the roads are swept daily. If you guys are doubting me travel to Akwa Ibom and see things for yourself

The governor from inception had planned to run the state on the wings of modern technology, just sitting in his office and communicating with the various ministries and the workers. That project then was still some steps away from reality although there were some vestiges of activities.

But getting to know the city the following day, two projects caught my attention; the Ibom Square and the Ibom Meridien, both of them under construction. Looking at those projects images of tourism came crashing on my mind, things that were possible came in torrents.

The Ibom Square emerged out of an audacious move to restore sanity to a maze of roads that asphyxiated what should have been one of the liveliest areas of the capital. It had an amphitheatre where live performances could take place.

But the hotel was a different ball game. Taken out of the heart of the city to a solitary undulating hilling ground, the hotel was positioned to overlook a dense foliage.

There was plan for an international golf course. Just one look at the trees and my guess was that there should be some water down there. This was confirmed. There were plans for the waters to be opened up into the Calabar Rivers.

Last weekend when I had the opportunity to be at Uyo again I made only one request: could I be taken to the hotel? It was in going to the site of the hotel that I saw the multiplicity of development projects going on in Akwa Ibom. There were several road projects and in fact the road to the hotel has been tagged an express way.

The hotel is halfway ready. An 18-hole golf course has also emerged in the plains and finishing touches are being put to it. Far off, opposite the Meridien, an airport is also being scheduled for construction with the support of some Americans. The airport apart from emptying traffic into the state will provide facilities for comprehensive checks including D-Check on planes, the only one in this part of the world at the moment.

Life is returning to that lonely state. Fortunately for Attah he has also won the resource control case and more money is rolling into that state where people openly wept a few years ago.

Now the verve is back. The tongue is unbound and the people can boast one more. Attah was right in fighting that war after all. A winner will always find friends anyway, the reason he has become a folk hero of sorts.

But standing at the site of the hotel, I whispered to my self: I love hotel. I love tourism. But I hate those who lie to the President about the money tourism can bring to the country without putting structures and facilities on ground that can enable tourism grow.

In this state the government is leading a quiet revolution in promoting tourism and the results may begin to come in a matter of months.

For more visit www.akwaibomstategov.com
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Oracle(m): 1:25am On Mar 14, 2006
Akwa Ibom may be cool but i personally prefer Cross Rivers Stata (Calabar)

Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Hero(m): 7:53am On Mar 14, 2006
Oracle:

Akwa Ibom may be cool but i personally prefer Cross Rivers Stata (Calabar)

yeah, I heard that they have alot of major projects of their own going on.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:05am On Mar 14, 2006
Can you post a new thread about what's happening in Calabar? It will be very much appreciated!
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by TheBrain1: 11:20pm On Mar 17, 2006
I come from Akwa Ibom State but was brought up in Calabar. I live aboard and do visit home annually. I find it shocking that your forum could be used for further sycophancy.

When compared with Governor Duke of Cross River State, Governor Attah is a huge failure. Even more painful when you consider that Cross River State earns far less revenue than Akwa Ibom State.

I speak from personal experience. Please don't allow the forum to be used this way. Or, at worst, let this be posted in the political section not under travel.

Afterall, travel is tourism and Akwa Ibom currently little compared to many other states. I am confident we will see a change in governance that will bring change to the 'Land of Promise'. But right now, we remain a promise

The Brain
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Hunter(m): 5:54am On Mar 18, 2006
It's nice to see some of that stuff happening but I can't help think that the money could be better spent.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by snazzydawn(f): 11:34pm On Jul 29, 2006
chei!!!who said Ibom plaza is a "beautiful place"?I live in Uyo,the capital of AKS,do not be fooled by anybody,it is sooo dry!The roads are still under construction since Attah's first term,the town still gets flooded after the rains,I could go on and on butmake I just pity them.Have you seen the Oron roaD-Uruan street axis?or the Nwaniba road,the road leading to the golf course?Okay,I agree with you that the golf course is magnificent and the 5star hotel is cool,but do not let Attah decieve you o!!There are many things that he has not done and he wants to contest for Presidency.That is really laughable because I assure you,he will not even pass in his ward.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by dblock(m): 4:02am On Aug 03, 2006
I can't say nothing cos i haven't been there nor seen pics
Akwa's alright but calabar and tinpa are better

Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 7:32am On Aug 11, 2006
It is always great to hear of developing projects going on in my hometown, Akwa Ibom state. Grew up in Calabar though, and right now, the stories that I have heard about Attah are mostly two sided , naysayers view him as a corrupt official, taking him to task for embarking on "elephant"(?) projects (airport and flyover). His supporters point to the Akwa Ibom plaza, Econet amongst others as proof of his efficient leadership. Still, I don't know what's going on in the state.

For Akwa Ibommites, are any of you attending the convention in North Carolina?

www.Nigerianmemories..com
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by dblock(m): 4:13am On Aug 17, 2006
unter, Tourism is all about the big picture don't be fooled. Tourism developments are by no means mismanagement.
Take for example Tinapa, it's an investment which has been funded by the private sector, the things that are been built will
not only attract tourists but also business people willing to invest in the country. They'll realize that things in the business
term have gotten better and that the Nigerian economy has gotten more transparent. Because of all the edifices and
buisnesses opening up jobs will be created thus pumping money back into the local economy. Some people get mistaken that
tourism in Nigeria is all about making the country look good when actually it's not, but that's not the case, the
Government's idea of what tourism can do for the nation is about creating and expanding the local economy and also,
and also let me repeat; shed the bad image of Nigeria. Some will say that they still think that the same money that is been
spent all those pretties, which by the way is not of the government but of the PRIVATE SECTOR SECTORR!!!!, is
better spent on hospitals and schools and other infrastructural necessities, but in the end of the big picture like I said earlier
on money will be produced form this investment that can then be spent on other things. But don't get me wrong, I from
my perspective think that tourism is very important but I don't think that it is the number one priority, Education, Electricity,
health, water supply are all much more needed, precisely which is exactly why the government of Nigeria have not neglected
these Key issues. For example the government has increased the portion of the 2007 budget that was scheduled for
health to a whooping 12%, do the calculations from the total of money obtained from Winfall oil prices, non oil exports
(which has gotten a smashing kick starts), and that is a lot of cash. But the again you can't help but feel all that cash,
all that cash, could it be going into someone’s pocket which is exactly why all the tourism developments going on in the
Nation right now and those proposed for the future are been monitored by the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC), for
mismanagement. Peace cool
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by hobat4cash(m): 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2006
i have some of the post here with mixed feelings. Well let me start by saying that i am a proud son of Akwa Ibom state. If our lord Jesus Christ had critics then all mortals must expect criticism. The person that saysthat the governor of akwa ibom state has not done anything i have three things 4 him or her 1)you have not been to akwa ibom b4 '99 and have not been to the present akwa ibom, 2) you are blind or 3) you are mischievious or sardistic.
For the avoidance of doubt the present governor is the best thing to happen to this young and ambitious state, i have lived in uyo 4 the past 11 years and i should know. Why would someone say that Obong Attah cannot be the president, then tell me who deserves it whether that person has two heads, show me a candidate who is more cerebral than Attah? The problem with us Akwa ibomite is that we are still suffering from PHDS ( pull him down syndrome). Of all the projects mentioned in the write up which one is a lie? I hope this is no attempt to rubbish the good name of an architect who is respected world wide. Please if we do not have better things to contribute we should observed from the side line and not ignominous remarks about people. I am proud to be an Akwa ibomite and certainly am proud of my state governor. angry
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by hobat4cash(m): 6:49pm On Aug 17, 2006
i have some of the post here with mixed feelings. Well let me start by saying that i am a proud son of Akwa Ibom state. If our lord Jesus Christ had critics then all mortals must expect criticism. The person that saysthat the governor of akwa ibom state has not done anything i have three things 4 him or her  1)you have not been to akwa ibom b4 '99 and have not been to the present akwa ibom, 2) you are blind or 3) you are mischievious or sardistic.
For the avoidance of doubt the present governor is the best thing to happen to this young and ambitious state, i have lived in uyo 4 the past 11 years and i should know. Why would someone say that Obong Attah cannot be the president, then tell me who deserves it whether that person has two heads,  show me a candidate who is more cerebral than Attah? The problem with us Akwa ibomite is that we are still suffering from PHDS ( pull him down syndrome). Of all the projects mentioned in the write up which one is a lie? I hope this is no attempt to rubbish the good name of an architect who is respected world wide. Please if we do not have better things to contribute we should observed from the side line and not ignominous remarks about people. I am proud to be an Akwa ibomite and certainly am proud of my state governor. angry
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by hayprof(m): 2:20pm On Sep 10, 2006
Who Tell Say Akwa Ibow na Small London In Nigeria?
Av u tried Lagos U will knw Its Big America In Nigeria! angry
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by snazzydawn(f): 2:38pm On Sep 10, 2006
do not mind them.If I were not living in Uyo,I would have said o!
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Inyeneobon: 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2006
Probably it is not right to judge these governors like we do.Different governors are faced with difference challenges and  it might not be very good comparing them.
There has been airport in Calabar for a long time,most of the beautiful roads there has been there b4 Duke,the stadium has been there and most things,but in Akwa Ibom attah has to start a long of things brand new.
Also we should not just be happy with the development we see,we should also be interested in the amount of debt a governor is creating for the next governor just to IMPRESS and be known as the one who did things.
Tinapa is very good,but the state government's own funding is being done on LOAN,and it is a lot.
Attah has collected loan,but repaid them and so far he has not created any loan in the name of DEVELOPMENT for another governor to come and suffer,in cross river same cannot be said of Duke.
I think Attah is doing excellently well in Akwa Ibom state.
As for being corrupt,we must know that the American government asked EFCC to investigate Attah and the EFCC has found NOTHING against him.
That report was released this week.
Even Attah himself brought the EFCC to investigate him when some SAN lawyer accused him of contract inflation.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by TheBrain1: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2006
The truth about Attah will come clearer when he leaves office. I commend him for his ability to fool people.

For the brother who talked about living in Uyo for 11 years, don't count you alone. I lived in that state long before that and visited twice this year (only just returned).

Yes, there has been some improvement but when compared to the resources he received, I can only score him at most 20%. Duke was mentioned a creidble performer not because of the infrastructure he meant but HOW MUCH he achieved during he over 7 years.

Please tell us when he started building the hotel and also tell us when it will be completed. I have friends in the State House of Assembly and a friend who in part of the hotel project.

The only credit I give to Attah is the work he's done in the since 2005 BUT what happened 5+ before that?

Our state need young (35 - 50) and vibrant leaders but hope do we have when men in their 60s & 70s are always keen to run our affairs. Therefore, not surprise Don Etiebet is the favourite for the Hilltop Mansion.

I love that state too but the truth must be told and sometimes you need to come from outside to properly assess once performance.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by snazzydawn(f): 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2006
True talk,I have lived in Uyo all my life, I would score Attah 10%. He can and will never rule Nigeria.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Inyeneobon: 8:49pm On Sep 21, 2006
I understand ur opinion,but how can u say he will NEVER rule Nigeria,is it not politics?even if he does not,u do not need to say that.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by dblock(m): 11:36am On Oct 12, 2006
The place is alright fountains and good roads and all but the roads don't have drain ducks and the place aint that flashy but it's pretty good cool
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by segedoo(m): 8:20pm On Oct 21, 2006
small london ko.looks more like small ondo to me
@*!#$
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:25pm On Dec 14, 2006
no be only small london,abeg make we hear jare grin
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by emtan: 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2007
Presently i am in Akwa-ibom state and it's been over a year,to be candid my visit to calabar is few .On a general appraisal one will give the Kudos to Calabar considering available resources.
Re: Akwa Ibom: Small London In Nigeria by Akwafinaaa: 4:27am On Aug 29, 2012
Akwa Ibom Ayaya joor

(1) (Reply)

Lagos To Divert Traffic For Today's Match Between Nigeria And Liberia / (photos) Speeding Truck Falls At Fidiso, Ibeju Lekki, Lagos / See Morocco See Spain...see Libya See Italy...its About Life Or Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.