Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? (6921 Views)

I Cheated In Waec And Neco.should I Return The Certificate? / Getting A Credit Pass In WAEC Gce....what Does It Require? / Plz Guyz Wat Is The Meaning Of Outstanding In Waec Result Insteed Of Grade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Knight1(m): 8:20am On Dec 22, 2011
More than 40 per cent of the 404,863 candidates who wrote the 2011 November/December West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), scored credit passes in five subjects, including English and mathematics.

Head of the Nigerian National Office, Dr. Iyi Uwadiae, who announced the results yesterday at the WAEC Headquarters in Yaba, Lagos, said 176,848 candidates, representing 45.62 per cent made the benchmark for admission into universities.

He said the results are better compared to last year’s where only 20.04 per cent of the 309,431 candidates that sat for the examination reached the same benchmark.

This year’s results also showed that 60.86 per cent of the candidates made credit and above in mathematics, while 59.82 made same in English language.

Only 43.06 per cent of the candidates recorded credit in English, while 48.88 per cent made it in mathematics last year.
The percentage of results withheld because of malpractice also dropped this year to 9.65 (39, 066) compared with 16.73 per cent (51,876) last year.

Uwadiae attributed the better performance recorded this year to reforms in the education sector by various governments.

He said: “WAEC is just a mirror, telling how candidates have performed in any given examination.  The result may be said to be better because some states have begun to address issues in the sector, by providing needed infrastructure.”
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/30677-45-per-cent-pass-in-wassce.html

PERSONALLY, I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS THE AUTHENTIC STATE OF THINGS; FIRST I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY SUBSTANTIAL INPUT IN THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR TO GIVE SUCH AN INCREASE; SECOND, EVEN IF YOU INVEST SO MUCH IN THE SECTOR, THE RESULTS WON'T CHANGE IMMEDIATELY, SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD A FAULTY JSS1 TO SS2 CANNOT NOW IN SS3 START TO EXCEL ANYHOW.

WHILE IT IS GOOD AND WELCOME FOR STUDENTS TO PASS, I BELIEVE REDUCING THE STANDARD FOR PASSING/ FALSIFICATION OF RESULTS/ WHATEVER THEY DID TO COOK UP THIS STRANGE FIGURES IS NOT THE BEST FOR OUR EDUCATION!!!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by dustydee: 8:27am On Dec 22, 2011

PERSONALLY, I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS IS THE AUTHENTIC STATE OF THINGS; FIRST I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY SUBSTANTIAL INPUT IN THE EDUCATIONAL SECTOR TO GIVE SUCH AN INCREASE; SECOND, EVEN IF YOU INVEST SO MUCH IN THE SECTOR, THE RESULTS WON'T CHANGE IMMEDIATELY, SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD A FAULTY JSS1 TO SS2 CANNOT NOW IN SS3 START TO EXCEL ANYHOW.

WHILE IT IS GOOD AND WELCOME FOR STUDENTS TO PASS, I BELIEVE REDUCING THE STANDARD FOR PASSING/ FALSIFICATION OF RESULTS/ WHATEVER THEY DID TO COOK UP THIS STRANGE FIGURES IS NOT THE BEST FOR OUR EDUCATION!!!
GOOD POINT. I was expecting the same reason for the improvement in performance when I started reading it and I was not disappointed.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by badaru1(m): 9:19am On Dec 22, 2011
The result is not objective,waec is doing this to get people support, because of competition from neco. Even when the state of schools in Nigeria was good,we have not achieved this kind of result. Some even get 5 credits these days without knowing how to spell their names. It was because of this type results that we startes having post this post in our exam system.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by moremi2008(m): 9:20am On Dec 22, 2011
This must be the result of the National Day of Fasting and Supplication! Nothing short of a miracle! At this rate, the pass rate will be 100% by 2013!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Sagamite(m): 9:37am On Dec 22, 2011
Knight1:

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/30677-45-per-cent-pass-in-wassce.html

Very good analysis.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by ochallo: 10:13am On Dec 22, 2011
i expected a good result, i marked this year and most of those i marked scored very high, i would say about 65% were going to pass, WAEC is easy to pass , as the marking scheme is becoming more lenient, it is NECO that has a problem, with incorrect questions and all that.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Sagamite(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2011
ochallo:

i expected a good result, i marked this year and most of those i marked scored very high, i would say about 65% were going to pass, WAEC is easy to pass , as the marking scheme is becoming more lenient, it is NECO that has a problem, with incorrect questions and all that.

Can you please inform of what region you marked at and marked for (if it is revealed to you)? Because marking for Lagos and Abuja kids is different for marking for Borno or Zamfara kids.

Secondly, are you saying WAEC has always been easy to pass or has become easy to pass?
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Mobinga: 10:40am On Dec 22, 2011
Inflated figures, no doubt.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by gokuu(m): 10:53am On Dec 22, 2011
I'm sure the embarrassed minister of education has pressured WAEC to release favourable results so as to save her from perpetual disgrace.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by member479760: 1:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
I dey laff! last year 10% passed but this year 45%, remember same teachers lesson them in interval of one year. The prob has no accuracy nor precision tongue
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by ortopazz(m): 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2011
4o% pass? And we d hail! Wahazi de o!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by ortopazz(m): 1:32pm On Dec 22, 2011
I am waiting for 60% afterall in my sec.school 4o% is f.9.99, well, sha, anyhow cngrats to them!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by sniperwolf(m): 2:39pm On Dec 22, 2011
Improvement
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Pharoh: 2:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
Hope this improvement is genuine lipsrsealed
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Bolt2011(m): 3:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
I'm also an examiner, though i didn't mark this particular GCE but i can confidently say this is a sham, purpose is to redeem the image of the education sector and the responsible government. However, i'm not of the believe that 'nothing good can come out of Nazareth'.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by embassyman(m): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2011
When is the result coming out?
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by babsomotde(m): 8:00pm On Dec 22, 2011
thank God results are out. Wishing you all best of luck and seasons greetings.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 23, 2011
Bolt2011:

I'm also an examiner, though i didn't mark this particular GCE but i can confidently say this is a sham, purpose is to redeem the image of the education sector and the responsible government. However, i'm not of the believe that 'nothing good can come out of Nazareth'.

You are an examiner? We all in trouble, people!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:34am On Dec 23, 2011
ferdiii:

You are an examiner? We all in trouble, people!

lol! I can't fit shout!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by basadenet: 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2011
Knight1:

Which parameter did you use to come with this your judgment. Let us be patriotic and not to destroy.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by Knight1(m): 4:01pm On Dec 23, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
so the patriotic thing is to lower our standards, and claim that those who didn't do well did right?
UK just blacklisted Medical grads from some skls in Nigeria, how do you think that came to be?
i dare say you are the unpatriotic destroyer for seeing the glaring truth and going along with the lies!
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by akenuka(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2011
Am happy about the result but I must confess one thing; the standard of waec question has come down to what an intelligent student can write and pass without much studies.
Re: 45% Pass In Waec; Good But Suspect News? by otokx(m): 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2011
Some people are just deceiving themselves in this country, let them continue.

(1) (Reply)

MTN FOUNDATION Music Scholarship 2018 / Buy and Install Trendy Wallpaper Designs for Home Or Office / Studying At UNISA From Nigeria (university Of South Africa Online)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.