Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,994 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

New Phone Scam! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Phone Scam! (16416 Views)

12 Reasons You Really Don’t Need That New Phone / New Phone: Techno Boom J7 / If You Are Opportuned To Buy A New Phone Today, What Will It Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 23, 2011
I got a message on my phone indicating I had an urgent voice message and a number to call to listen to my voice message.
I called and in less than 20 sec into the computer broadcast my credit balance of more than 300bucks got used up.
What the hell is this? I again topped up on 200bucks and had that used up in less than 5seconds!
Here is the number: 002392247304
and the number I was asked to call : +2392247304
WTF?

Re: New Phone Scam! by Lexusgs430: 11:57am On Dec 23, 2011
Thank your stars it only cost you N500.00 !
Re: New Phone Scam! by aieromon(m): 12:43pm On Dec 23, 2011
It appears you're expecting a call from Barack Obama!!
I received a similar text message a few days ago and simply paid it no attention.
Re: New Phone Scam! by N101: 4:44pm On Dec 23, 2011
+239 is the Country Code for Sao Tome y Principe. Why would you refer back to a message from a country code that you aren't familiar with, or am I missing something?

1 Like

Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 24, 2011
@Op, u have time to call, good for u
Re: New Phone Scam! by JimOvia: 11:33am On Dec 24, 2011
Please for your own good, do not call that number. Its a scam dat automatically transfers all ur credit to their own account. It happened to my wife. She lost 6k immediately and d 6k was supposed to be for her BIS and mine. We called MTN n de claimed total ignorance. Ppl r getting smarter
Re: New Phone Scam! by dellnet: 11:54am On Dec 24, 2011
JimOvia:

Please for your own good, do not call that number. Its a scam dat automatically transfers all your credit to their own account. It happened to my wife. She lost 6k immediately and d 6k was supposed to be for her BIS and mine. We called MTN n de claimed total ignorance. Ppl r getting smarter
Wow, I wonder how they got it working.
Re: New Phone Scam! by drstan(m): 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ya i got it too, but they did nt get much 4rm me b4 i cal d custma care, they said i should ignor it dat it is a scarm, dat when eva u cal bak al d money in ur acount wil b wiped out, tank GOD my was 90bux
Re: New Phone Scam! by binhozie(m): 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2011
I can CATEGORICALLY CONFIRM that the OP is talking sense
Because it happened to me just now!!!!!!!!
When your recently recharged 750 becomes 0.04 in the space of seconds then you can pardon me for my outbursts
I knew it was scam, but i just wanted to risk 1 minute to hear the nonsense they had to tell me,
Unfortunately i couldnt even last 1 minute because ALL my credit was toast!!  cry cry cry

The exact number above, dont ever call!
I have tried to understand how this particular scam happens  angry
Re: New Phone Scam! by Osama10(m): 12:11pm On Dec 24, 2011
Sounds funny you know. grin grin grin

I hope the lesson has been learnt.
Re: New Phone Scam! by frenchman2: 12:27pm On Dec 24, 2011
scammers, always a step ahead.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 24, 2011
I got this same text since 10th of Dec;
Mine reads:

"1 New Voice message call: +2392247109 to hear it"

I just laughed in Spanish. I no get time for people joor
Re: New Phone Scam! by whizkid10(m): 12:43pm On Dec 24, 2011
Recharge account Subsidy, 9ja is great,
Re: New Phone Scam! by baconline(m): 12:48pm On Dec 24, 2011
dat is not d only way,certain foreign numbers keep on flashing me,when u call back yur credit is gone .this is one of d numbers;(547)1258846, i have recieved over 50 flashes from over 10 strange numbers
Re: New Phone Scam! by iyatrustee(f): 12:50pm On Dec 24, 2011
got d text sometimes last week. curiousity took d best part of me and i called. nothing happened to me cos i am covered with the blood of MTN postpaid! cheesy cheesy

JimOvia:

Please for your own good, do not call that number. Its a scam dat automatically transfers all your credit to their own account. It happened to my wife. She lost 6k immediately and d 6k was supposed to be for her BIS and mine. We called MTN n de claimed total ignorance. Ppl r getting smarter

how can d money for u and ur wife's Bis subscription be in her own acct? its not adding up bro! angry
Re: New Phone Scam! by ikennahill: 12:56pm On Dec 24, 2011
thanks.if others will do like you then these 419 people will fold.people should report their experience,it will help us,
Re: New Phone Scam! by chux76(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
Lol, funnily enuf,this number just flashed a couple of seconds ago, +2389126030 and it happened just before i finished reading the last post on this thread,shey dem use tekilology dey use read our mind nowlol
Anyways una wey call d number back.big upsss, una get plenti credit 2 waste,me wey b say to even call my Girlfriend na wahala,as long as it is not Business related i no dey waste my credit oh.
But come to think of it,have we really gone this cheap,from Militancy to Kidnapping,to ritualism,to bombing a la BH boiz now to stealing call credit, la wah for nijeria oh!!! SO MUCH FOR FRESH AIR, (MY BUTT)
Re: New Phone Scam! by lolaluv1(f): 1:02pm On Dec 24, 2011
I got the text.  I remember calling it back out of curiousity but it didn't go through. Or maybe it went through and ate all my credit before I knew it connected. Was really busy that day and I wasn't really keeping tabs on my credit.  smiley
Re: New Phone Scam! by rekeson: 1:02pm On Dec 24, 2011
This is d latest scan and her profile.

m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001996222169&refid=12
Re: New Phone Scam! by sulakishop(m): 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2011
THIS WAS D MESSAGE I GOT A WEEK AGO THOUGH I DIDNT CALL D NUMBER:

1 New Voice message call: +2392247203 to hear it.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On Dec 24, 2011
I guess they use new trickz every year. Last year or is it two years ago, I was sent a message telling me to sms(not call) a specific number or else I'll get assasinated. It really scared me.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2011
all these scammers self, dem dey scam fellow men, make dem find numbers of all these political thieves and use their sense on dem na,
Re: New Phone Scam! by stagger: 1:29pm On Dec 24, 2011
If I recall very well, this scam was elaborated on here on Nairaland 2 years ago, and people were asked not to call that number.
Funny how people have a very short memory!
Re: New Phone Scam! by tttonero: 1:36pm On Dec 24, 2011
Scammers, scamming Nigerians, and you are screaming like pigs. grin
Re: New Phone Scam! by labamo07(m): 1:50pm On Dec 24, 2011
Op sef na thief, ao on earth wuld nigerians kip goin dumb n dumber everyday?? Una dey expect die minute miracle for Xmas, lol
Re: New Phone Scam! by bassette(m): 1:57pm On Dec 24, 2011
Same xperience here,strange numba in d same format beeping my line.thank God i neva fell 4 it
Re: New Phone Scam! by aieromon(m): 1:58pm On Dec 24, 2011
Here is a response to the same issue last year

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-382938.96.html

Recently, our esteemed customers have been calling in to complain about being over billed for making international calls. On investigation, I discovered the following:
- The affected customers are flashed by the ‘international numbers’.
- Out of curiosity, they call those numbers, and are billed heavily for the calls
- These ‘international numbers’ are actually SATELITE PHONES (e.g Thuraya and Iridium), and start with +881 (Iridium) or +882(Thuraya)
- For some customers, the number begins with +239, which is the country code of Sao Tome and Principe.
- For calls from MTN NETWORK to SATELITE PHONES and Sao Tome and Principe, the call rate is N11.67/sec.
- Thus, a 60-second call costs N700.20!
I hope this helps.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nellyd(f): 1:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
Mine was some months back. The message was dat some1 special sent me a voice message. Thought it was ma hubby but ooops,my credit(cant remember how much) was aflame when i dialled the number i was asked 2 call. God help us.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Afam4eva(m): 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
So, what exactly will those scammers with the credit?
Re: New Phone Scam! by kleenmum(f): 2:14pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ok we ave all said ur experiences but does anyone know how to block d number or rather how to stop them getting credit I also wonder what other information they can get since they have hacked into ones account,God help us o
Re: New Phone Scam! by JimOvia: 2:15pm On Dec 24, 2011
iyatrustee:

got d text sometimes last week. curiousity took d best part of me and i called. nothing happened to me cos i am covered with the blood of MTN postpaid! cheesy cheesy

how can d money for u and your wife's Bis subscription be in her own acct? its not adding up bro! angry

Bros I av no reason to lie. She recharged wit 4 mtns cards of 1,500 each n was supposed to transfer 3k to me to activate my BIS too. Dats hw we do it all d time.

By the way, how do these scammers get the money equivalent from our credit cos I don't believe the above post about the sao tome n satellite fone story. Its a Nigerian scam

Ps:I just looked up ur profile n I doubt u can afford postpaid. Am sure ur postpaid Acct is d one dat a friend of yours working in Mtn helped u hack so u don't pay any monthly fees. We know all these things. No offense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Finally Got My Itel S16 Guys!! Come See The Dope Pictures I Took With It / GSM Booster: NCC Warns Against Unauthorized Use Of Telecommunication Boosters / Infinix Note 5 Or Infinix S4 Which Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.