Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? (13892 Views)

What Are Your Plans For This New Month? / Nigeria Immigration Service Application Forms On Sale For The 2012/13 Intake / What Are Your Plans For Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Don1Dee(m): 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2012
kokoA:

Very nice topic.

My advice to everyone is not different from what guys have said in here. I am a graduate of physics to but after school curiosity made me venture into java programming (I invested soo much just to learn it), I never stoped there I took up SAP studies which I'm currently on and God has been so faithful I got a place in an ICT consulting firm which does SAP implementations. This year I hope to get done with my first SAP Basis certification.

Please Guys keep sharing your stories, you just migth be the angel that will turn somebody's future into paradise.!
@KoKoA, I'll like 2 have a talk with u on this SAP thing, seriously looking for placement with an organization that implement it, Do reply plz.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by kokoA(m): 8:45am On Jan 19, 2012
Don1Dee:

@KoKoA, I'll like 2 have a talk with u on this SAP thing, seriously looking for placement with an organization that implement it, Do reply plz.

Yep! drop your email and I will get back to you. Thanks.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Don1Dee(m): 10:26pm On Jan 20, 2012
kokoA:

Yep! drop your email and I will get back to you. Thanks.
gyprince@yahoo.com.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by evonbarrys(m): 12:02pm On Jan 24, 2012
In the career planning consider the points which is you strong point you can do anything realted to the points then select your career like engineering, medical etc. then check the scope of career is the important part of career goal.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by IDERAWOLE(m): 3:52pm On Feb 28, 2012
This is a great thread.

There are few things as important as career planning; we would be more fulfilled as educated people if this could be made part of our thinking.

Quite a number of us, if not all are actually into our current career by default. From experience; your course of study may NOT and actually is not what majority of people are engaged in today.

A little bit of insight into this issue will be not only bring fulfillment into so many lives but our nation too will begin to see many creative minds on the rise with innovations and of course wealth creation following it.

You may want to read this e-course I subscribed for: It will definitely make all the difference in 2012.

Thank you for subscribing to my career e-course! In this e-course you'll learn all about:

Part 1: Should You Make a Career Change

Part 2: SWOT Analysis

Part 3: Picking the Right Career Path

Part 4: Opportunities Available

Part 5: Saying Goodbye to Your Job

Part 6: Finding and Getting That New Job

Part 7: Turning a Hobby into a Career

That being said, Let’s get started shall we:

Part 1: Should You Make a Career Change

Many people don’t like their jobs – it is part of being in the working world. Even people who claim to love their jobs still have days when the thought of going to work can be just too much to bear. However, the truth is that you just may be on the wrong career path if your level of job satisfaction is less than what it should be.
The best way to really see and accept that it might be time for a career change is to honestly look at how you feel about what you do. This is really a very easy process. All you need to do is keep a daily work journal.

First, record how you feel about going into the office or workplace every day. Be honest with yourself and write your true feelings. Are you dreading walking through the doors and the thought of it makes you nauseous? Maybe you’re looking forward to it but once you get there, you find that you are bored and unable to concentrate.

When a specific job situation comes up, write down your reactions to having to complete that task. Your boss has given you the assignment of researching past profit margins for one of the products your company produces. He wants a comprehensive report done and on his desk within two days. Are you angry and dreading the job or does it make you happy to be trusted with an important job? Write it down!

In your work journal, jot down your feelings about your co-workers. Do you generally get along with everyone, or do you find yourself constantly at odds with people or a specific person?

The key to a work journal is to write down exactly how you feel about various aspects of your job and then look for recurring themes. Are you unhappy because of the people you are around or

You will get the rest of the course by downloading the attachment.

Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Capnd143(m): 5:05pm On Apr 01, 2012
Thanks buddies for the info,but please check out my own case can i study medicine and surgery graduate and find a good pay job in 9ja and how can i easily get scholarship to study abroad
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by tanimola22: 6:12pm On Apr 01, 2012
Capnd143: Thanks buddies for the info,but please check out my own case can i study medicine and surgery graduate and find a good pay job in 9ja and how can i easily get scholarship to study abroad

The medical doctors I know in Niaja are not doing badly by Naija standards.

1 Like

Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Capnd143(m): 6:37pm On Apr 02, 2012
Help me guyz.i had 197 any hope 4 me on medicine and surgery at uniyo.and how can i posibly get into the school
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by tanimola22: 6:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
Capnd143: Help me guyz.i had 197 any hope 4 me on medicine and surgery at uniyo.and how can i posibly get into the school

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible at Uyo. You may want to speak to guys already studying medicine and surgery there.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by yamakuza: 7:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
Capnd143: Help me guyz.i had 197 any hope 4 me on medicine and surgery at uniyo.and how can i posibly get into the school

1. Change to a school that accepts 180, then ace their post UME exam

2. Settle for another course eg microbiology

3. Take JAMB again
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Capnd143(m): 12:27am On Apr 03, 2012
At what schools can i posibly study medicine at 180 cut off
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by tanimola22: 6:52am On Apr 03, 2012
Capnd143: At what schools can i posibly study medicine at 180 cut off

Hi, sorry for this question. But, did you read the previous post? The previous post suggests that you settle for another related course at a school that accepts a score around 180ish. The poster then gives microbiology as one of such related courses.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by yamakuza: 8:32am On Apr 03, 2012
Capnd143: At what schools can i posibly study medicine at 180 cut off

check
www.nairaland.com/904939
for schools with 180 as cut off, then check JAMB brochure to find out if those schools offer medicine.

As at last year, OOU's cut off was 180, and they offer medicine.

If you cant find a school with 180-190 as cut-off that offers medicine, you can choose a related course like Environmental Biology/Microbiology in such schools and later cross over to Medicine in year 2 or retake JAMB.

www.nairaland.com/906521

btw, whats the cut-off mark for UniUyo and others in its environs?
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by BeingAkorede(m): 8:52pm On Apr 06, 2012
infact this idea is wt i.ve been waiting for. tnx for coming up on such a knowledge.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by chioma134: 5:47pm On Apr 10, 2012
Just stumbled on this thread and I'm glad I did. I'm right in d middle of taking some tough career decisions n this thread has helped me greatly. It's not all about money,but fulfillment.
I'm a medical doctor,and used to love reading/research as a student,but all that's gone with the harsh wind of Nigeria's economic situation. I'll take bukky's suggestion of accomplishing 3 career goals this year.
God bless all who shared,and I hope to share my own success story on this forum in future.
Shalom.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by AjanleKoko: 10:45am On Apr 11, 2012
I have always wondered, when I look at various threads on this section.

Is it truly possible that people know very little about courses they studied?
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by yamakuza: 10:56am On Apr 11, 2012
AjanleKoko: I have always wondered, when I look at various threads on this section.

Is it truly possible that people know very little about courses they studied?

1. JAMB factor (makes them accept any course)

2. Most just want to be called graduates

3. Reality sets in when the job offers arent forthcoming

1 Like

Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by AjanleKoko: 12:39pm On Apr 11, 2012
yamakuza:

1. JAMB factor (makes them accept any course)

2. Most just want to be called graduates

3. Reality sets in when the job offers arent forthcoming

Naija palaver. undecided
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Fiver: 8:29pm On Apr 12, 2012
I want to move to Nigeria for a brief period of maybe 2-3years the problem is my course is not really specific
Engineering with management and i had 2.2 that in Nigeria is not much sort after since they look at degrees alot and grade
another thing is my work experience of over 2 years- one year general admin like a graduate scheme which ended since funds dried up with the recession
and 2nd year work experience so far logistics support officer with the NHS, looking at the Nigerian scene chances are i will apply for entry level and brush up on maths/statistic tests to get an interviewed

I am just tired of the general feeling now with the state of the economy and general atmosphere- no growth meaning no/scarce opportunities
to put it another way im bored need to grow or new experience new environment now im single n free
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by tanimola22: 8:40am On Apr 13, 2012
Fiver: I want to move to Nigeria for a brief period of maybe 2-3years the problem is my course is not really specific
Engineering with management and i had 2.2 that in Nigeria is not much sort after since they look at degrees alot and grade
another thing is my work experience of over 2 years- one year general admin like a graduate scheme which ended since funds dried up with the recession
and 2nd year work experience so far logistics support officer with the NHS, looking at the Nigerian scene chances are i will apply for entry level and brush up on maths/statistic tests to get an interviewed

I am just tired of the general feeling now with the state of the economy and general atmosphere- no growth meaning no/scarce opportunities
to put it another way im bored need to grow or new experience new environment now im single n free

Bros/Sis, what you are about doing is great. However, you need to be careful. I am very sure you have done your eventuality/risk analysis, so I will not start boring you with baseless stories. All I can say is that you should try to further stress-test your analysis.

All the best!

T22.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by nitrogen(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2012
I'll soon commence my service year(july or thereabouts), and i hope to be qualified(ICAN) by the end of the nysc program but constraint is, if i get posted to lagos it may affect it because reading will be tough and seriously i would like to be posted to lag,so am aware of the risk.

Through wit service, i'll go for my masters straightaway, m.sc econs or finance in either unilag or U.I will be okay for a b-tech accounting grad(my thoughts though), another constraint is that in ninja you need 2-3 years(at least) experience to land a good job. Where do i get that since am going for masters immediately after service?

Btw,i love investment banking a lot, and i hope my path will facilitate career in IB.

Sincerely,i want to take these risks because 'more risk is more return', but i want you guys to assess my case cos am scared and if one shud miss it now,it's quite dangerous.

Thanks.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Shola2009(m): 11:19am On Apr 13, 2012
nitrogen: I'll soon commence my service year(july or thereabouts), and i hope to be qualified(ICAN) by the end of the nysc program but constraint is, if i get posted to lagos it may affect it because reading will be tough and seriously i would like to be posted to lag,so am aware of the risk.

Through wit service, i'll go for my masters straightaway, m.sc econs or finance in either unilag or U.I will be okay for a b-tech accounting grad(my thoughts though), another constraint is that in ninja you need 2-3 years(at least) experience to land a good job. Where do i get that since am going for masters immediately after service?

Btw,i love investment banking a lot, and i hope my path will facilitate career in IB.

Sincerely,i want to take these risks because 'more risk is more return', but i want you guys to assess my case cos am scared and if one shud miss it now,it's quite dangerous.

Thanks.
More risk ins't necessarily more reward. Also, let's get it straight,u feel going to Lagos is going to affect your ICAN preparations, but yet you want to go to Lagos. Am i right?

Also, what is a good job for you? Because i don't believe you require 2-3 years experience to obtain an entry level position gig at any organisation in Nigeria. Your NYSC counts as 1 year, i think with that and your Degree certificate you're good to go.
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by nitrogen(m): 11:52am On Apr 13, 2012
Shola2009:
More risk ins't necessarily more reward. Also, let's get it straight,u feel going to Lagos is going to affect your ICAN preparations, but yet you want to go to Lagos. Am i right?
yes, if shud get posted to lagos,then its going to be in a company,and you know lagos palava (7am-7pm),this is going to affect definitely,bt its pays so i can secure a parmanent emplymt in where i will serve.

Shola2009:

Also, what is a good job for you? Because i don't believe you require 2-3 years experience to obtain an entry level position gig at any organisation in Nigeria. Your NYSC counts as 1 year, i think with that and your Degree certificate you're good to go.
am talking about getting a M.sc immediately after nysc,can i get a job other than a grad entry one with only 1-year nysc experience after the masters programme? Is'nt it dangerous to thread that way?
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by Fiver: 11:56pm On Apr 16, 2012
tanimola22:

Bros/Sis, what you are about doing is great. However, you need to be careful. I am very sure you have done your eventuality/risk analysis, so I will not start boring you with baseless stories. All I can say is that you should try to further stress-test your analysis.

All the best!

T22.

thank you, I funny thing is I have only been thinking recently of moving if i can get a year off work, I don't know how I will do that, but im developing another plan, i have 2 friends working in the HR department who might be able to hook me up with regular temp jobs to get back into the system if i run back with tails between my legs

I notice most job vacancies in Nigeria are mainly Engineering or Business, I need some short courses i can do before year end that can boost my chances even though i'm focusing on personal networks for work .jobs are also drying up in naija and the employment process is very long but ive always got an exit option for when the adventure wears off
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by ephilipand: 4:37pm On Apr 19, 2012
I have a brother that graduated from secondary school as a science student. He want to go study International Business Management or Environmental & Resource Management or Business Administration. I want to ask if is possible as a high school science graduate and what advice can you give?
Re: Effective Career Planning; What Are Your Plans For 2012? by yamakuza: 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
ephilipand: I have a brother that graduated from secondary school as a science student. He want to go study International Business Management or Environmental & Resource Management or Business Administration. I want to ask if is possible as a high school science graduate and what advice can you give?

he can easily go for Environmental & Resource Mgt as a science student, but he'll need to write Geography (and/or Econs) in JAMB.

For the other 2 courses, he'll need to write private GCE/NECO and add the 5 subjects needed for Admin courses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bank Workers Declare Your Assets - CBN Orders / Oyo Government Suspends Salary Of 16000 Workers / Having Problem With A Terrible Boss Or Colleague?, Come In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.